Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    I installed the public beta on launch day without trouble on my mid 2011 MBP (I had to retry several times before it showed in the App Store. But once it did all the rest went flawless).

Since then I haven't really done a lot of specific testing. Just light everyday use.
    So far only experienced mild issues. Like transparency for the menu at and menus not being correct (seems opaque sometimes, on other occasions the background color "stuck" even when the background was changed) and Safari getting inresponsive to scrolling window content. Both fixed with relaunch of the app.

For the rest I can only comment on the GUI. to me it looks good. More estate. I really love the ios-like feature in safari when opening a new window or starting typing in the search bar. Fonts look less legible to me. Maybe because it's optimized for retina displays?
    Oh, and I miss my Dropbox extension in finder windows - I guess that will have to come back as an extension.
    Otherwise no apparent issues running iworks, mail, pixelmator, iBooks Author and the other apps I'm using. Network connection through wifi seems to be stable as before.
    So far so good to me.

Edit: one more observation is that responsiveness is overall a bit laggy. Like ios 7 on an iPhone 4 before 7.1. Could be due to debugging code, lack of optimization or that the hw finally shows it's age. Still glad it's being supported.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

that would be a welcome return, though it don't think the application actually quit; it merely had the glowing bubble removed from the dock, but the process itself was still alive when checking in the Application Monitor.

Yes, you're right, I believe the process was put in some kind of suspended state, but not actually killed. Well the auto suspend seems to be gone now, until they're still doing it, just not making the glowing bubble disappear any more.

• Reply 83 of 93

Adobe providing NO SUPPORT for Yosemite until Apple declares it official.

SO if you use Adobe Products I would refrain from using Mac 10.10 Yosemite OR stop paying for things that don't work until the Developer sees fit !

• Reply 84 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    P.S. I am very depressed and moody today as I have a fever from an infection, so don't take anything I say to seriously

We never do¡ Seriously, perfectly fine to be moody when having a fever. I hope this infection is already curing and getting you out of your depressed state. Sending virtual positive energy over the 'net... to you.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    I installed on a USB 3 external HDD on my 2013 rMBP and it is really nippy. Startup is not as quick as SSD obviously but once it's up and running it is almost indistinguishable from the internal HDD.
  • Reply 86 of 93
    OS X 10.10. It would be awesome if it shipped on Oct 10.
    BTW, who was it that kept insisting Apple wouldn't call it 10.10 because that was numerically equal to 10.1?

I can't imagine...
  • Reply 87 of 93

OS X 10.10. It would be awesome if it shipped on Oct 10.
    BTW, who was it that kept insisting Apple wouldn't call it 10.10 because that was numerically equal to 10.1?

How about OS X X.X

No. Apple is for all ages, not just adults.
  • Reply 88 of 93
    iMessage doesn't seem to work in Yosemite. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Dunno. Haven't been there. Maybe you have no cellular reception?
  • Reply 89 of 93
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But Oct 10th is the same as Oct 1st¡ Seriously though, I don't see Cook waiting or forcing a release to conform to such a date unless it's slated to be ready within a week before that date. It is a Friday; have they released a new OS on a Friday?
    There was many.

In Cupertino it's maybe October X. :D

Well, that would be X X, so we've come full circle.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    Uuuhm, why is there a difference?

Because you use them differently.
    And what makes you say Mail, Calendar, iTunes are document-based? The only app I would consider document-based would be Preview, and even that one is more or less a read-only app. Notes, Disk Utility, Mail, Calendar and iTunes...I'd consider those databases. 

Mail because you create documents, Calendar because multiple individual items can be open at once, and iTunes because it plays music in the background.

That may be so, but it seems redundant to me. It would be much simpler if everything stayed open, even if you closed all windows. I think the way in which some apps quit is a throwback to many years ago when resources were much scarcer.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No. Apple is for all ages, not just adults.

That's why they have parental controls...

• Reply 92 of 93
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Does anyone else see the optical illusion in Calendars... Year view?  Everything seems curved/slanted to the right and down...

But it isn't.

Or is it?

• Reply 93 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tbell wrote: »
    There were many.

Yes there was.