Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

"Works fine" is not the most helpful reply to someone for whom it does not.

What would you prefer, no answers at all or answers to the negative? You asked.

• Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow - so you really are mean to more than just the trolls.

• Reply 43 of 93

Come off it. Don’t expect any answers at all next time, then. Just don’t whine that you don’t get anything.

• Reply 44 of 93
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaFin421 View Post

Of course not all features are working hence the term "beta"...but for what has been released it Rocks! If you've not downloaded it and are not testing it - why are you wasting time commenting? Get a life.

It is a valid point considering they demonstrated those key features and announced a beta to test it.  But you cannot test the features without iOS 8.  For your information, I have downloaded it and installed it.  It is not very impressive without being able to test the key features they advertised.  It is a pre-release with a new UI that will likely change before final release.  You cannot even give examples why it rocks.  Perhaps they should have mentioned the key features would be disabled when they announced the beta.  Most people would want to test the new features and report issues, but they can't do that without iOS 8.  Maybe the developers will fine tune those features, but the public cannot.

• Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:

He is mean to everyone.  He is a moderator and feels he can be as mean as he likes because he can get away with it, but no one else can because he will just ban you.  That is his style.

• Reply 46 of 93
    Quote:

Take your FUD and shove it, you useless, pathetic troll.

How is that trolling when iOS 8 beta is required to test the new features, but iOS 8 will not be released as a public beta?  Can you explain that?  I did not think so!

• Reply 47 of 93
    Yosemite rocks!!!

The UI looks great and it is already wicked fast.

But, but, but, is Safari as fast as before...? 8-)
  • Reply 48 of 93

You really need to excuse TS... Puberty has really been hard on him to get through. ..
  • Reply 49 of 93
    hillstones wrote: »

He is mean to everyone.  He is a moderator and feels he can be as mean as he likes because he can get away with it, but no one else can because he will just ban you.  That is his style.

TS is a FORMER moderator. He can't ban shit any more. His little outbursts have derailed more threads then any troll ever has.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Its working fine for me on my 2011 Mac Mini, dual display 22".  Nothing fuzzy, even worked on a project last night for a few hours in Illustrator, no tired or strained eyes at all. 

I think I might be in a minority!  Glad it worked for you.  Several apps I use work fine in Yosemite; full screen and you hardly notice the UI underneath.

My beef is with the Apple UI, and the Apple apps.  But as I said early on, maybe I am just getting dated and cannot keep up with what is considered "good modern design".  I can accept that, but will provide my feedback in case others have problems similar to mine.

iOS7 is an abomination.  As more and more developers tweak their apps to align with 7 (even those that still run on 6), I find that their usability drops, for me at least.  In fact I have stopped using a couple of apps entirely.  However, many people don't agree.  That's life.

Yosemite is going to do to the Mac what iOS7 did to the iDevice: completely change UI design and feel.  Personally, I think for the worse.   Again, many people might not agree with me and that's life.

I accept that I might be stuck at Mavericks for several years.  Indeed, I started thinking this last year when iOS7 was released.  That's why I bought a new Mac Pro this year and plan to upgrade one more machine before the Yosemite launch so as to ensure Mavericks is on it.  It may be the last Mac I buy for a while.  Apple, though, will not care abut a single lost sale that they will likely replace with 1 or even 2 new ones.

• Reply 51 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

• Reply 52 of 93
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    crowley wrote: »
    How about OS X X.X
    For the hardcore?

I always thought OSX was pronounced: Oh-Sex :D

... great conversation starter: "What do you think about OSX ..."

Thanks Apple :p
  • Reply 53 of 93
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

I'll have to try that one!

• Reply 54 of 93
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How is that trolling when iOS 8 beta is required to test the new features

Because you are not required to have iOS 8 to test the new features. I explained it in seconds.

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

[post]

Since you apparently agree with him, show us anything in his post that is correct, please. hillstones is a known troll. You only prove your vendetta by siding with him.

• Reply 55 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How can it "rock" when all the new features they demonstrated are not enabled in the Beta?  You cannot test any of the new features because iOS 8 is required on your iOS device, and they do not allow a public beta of that software.

I underlined your wild exaggerated claims.
    The main features demonstrated will not be available until the software is officially released with iOS 8, so the public beta does not seem worth using or testing.

Then you jump into a comment that isn't about all features, but the main ones, although that's still not accurate as there are features they demoed that are in the beta. If they demoed them I think it can be argued they are main features of Yosemite.
    But hopefully many will give feedback on the awful use of transparency.

You have now gone from saying none of the new features are available to saying none of the main features are available to stating a feature that is found in the 4th beta of Yosemite.
    The early days of OS X had a large amount of transparency and throughout the years, it was toned down drastically, because overlapping windows bleeding through does not create a good working environment.  Just look at the transparent menu bar, which most people disable.  Random desktops wipe out the menu bar text and it is not consistent with any application, since the apps are not transparent.  Even Microsoft learned their mistake with their Aero theme.

That is just complaining about something you can disable which is pointless.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Since you apparently agree with him, show us anything in his post that is correct, please. hillstones is a known troll. You only prove your vendetta by siding with him.

Vendetta?  This isn't the Wild West, get over yourself.  I don't particularly agree with hillstones, but that doesn't mean your response was in any way proportionate or polite.

He is partially correct that a lot of the headline features of Yosemite are dependent on also having an iOS device, so a public beta tester will not have the full experience of Yosemite they might hope for.  I've commented on that myself in an earlier post.  Clearly he exaggerated how important that was, but he's hardly the first person to exaggerate a point.  Screeching at him to shut up is childish.

• Reply 57 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    How is that trolling when iOS 8 beta is required to test the new features, but iOS 8 will not be released as a public beta?  Can you explain that?  I did not think so!

Maybe you first should've read this:
    https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide?cid=CDM-EU-4131&cp=em-P0016140-328689&sr=em

where it states:
    Continuity
    Handoff between Mac and iOS devices requires iOS 8. Phone, SMS, and Instant Hotspot features also require iOS 8. iOS 8 is available to iOS developers as part of the iOS Developer Program.

And then decide if testing beta software is something you want to do.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ascii wrote: »
    A few versions of OS X ago they added a thing where certain apps (e.g. Preview, Quicktime Player) would automatically quit if they had no open windows. This seems to be gone now, they don't quit unless you command-Q them.

That's odd, I never experienced that even from the first beta. Was that common? I started off only running on my nMac Pro but since beta 3 have been only running on a 2013 Mac mini so maybe that is the difference.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But Oct 10th is the same as Oct 1st¡ Seriously though, I don't see Cook waiting or forcing a release to conform to such a date unless it's slated to be ready within a week before that date. It is a Friday; have they released a new OS on a Friday?
    There was many.

In Cupertino it's maybe October X. :D
  • Reply 60 of 93
    sandor wrote: »

i suppose it depends on what you are doing.

here is my workflow:
    skim through images on file server in the finder
    drag & drop an image deeply nested onto the open file dialog box in photoshop
    photoshop remembers last location for the dialog box, so i can just hit cmd+O in the application to open another of that series.

so when i am in photoshop and am trying to open one of a series of already filed/organized images, i don't what the "open file" dialog box become a "move file" dialog box. i use the finder to organize, the dialog box to open.

You have reminded me ... There was a wonderful 3rd party extension in the days of OS 9 and earlier, the name escapes me now (Dick will know), that allowed an amazing amount of control over folder locations in the open and save dialog boxes. I miss it to this day. In work flows such as yours and mine one could add folders you used either regularly or during a project and it would remember where you opened from and saved to but also have any others you added in a drop down menu. Working in graphics and video this cut my work flow time down enormously and more importantly reduced frustration dramatically. It is a massively missing element to Apple's own open and save dialog boxes IMHO. Someone should write an add on to OS X ... if it is even possible.