Apple adds Fox Now, CNBC channels to Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its Apple TV set-top box with channels for two new content partners, adding one each for financial news powerhouse CNBC and entertainment network Fox -- though both require a cable subscription to access most content.

The CNBC channel will give bankers, investors, and those simply interested in capital markets one less reason to switch back to their cable box during the day, as the live stream is available for cable subscribers through the Apple TV. Specific segments from shows like Squawk Box are available outside of the paywall.

Fox Now, meanwhile, brings popular shows including Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos reboot, Glee, and and 24: Live Another Day.

The update comes days after a report that Fox subsidiary FX would bring its own FXNOW content to Apple's living room puck. That change, which is said to include "Simpsons World," is tipped to debut within the next 12 months.

Apple has added a number of new content providers to the Apple TV recently despite the lack of a widely-anticipated hardware refresh. Among those to come on board in 2014 are ABC News, PBS Kids, Willow, History, Lifetime, A&E, and the ACC, while the iPhone maker brought its own iTunes Extras content to the device earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

Apple needs to get serious about this before they add many more channels ...
  • Reply 2 of 75
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Luddites leaving potential additional money on the table (from people who might be willing to pay some nominal sum per view).

Also, the sign up process with Comcast from within AppleTV is so cumbersome and time-consuming that, even though I have a cable subscription, I do not even bother with these "you-need-to-sign-in-to-view-us" channels.

• Reply 3 of 75
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

I completely agree. The VAST majority of these "channels" either 1) charge a monthly subscription fee, 2) are nothing but "junk" content like video clips instead of full episodes or live streaming, or 3) aren't available due to local market or service provider restrictions. It is becoming an annoying game of "Whack-A-Mole" to keep deleting these new channels are they pop up.

• Reply 4 of 75
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    The CNBC channel will give bankers, investors, and those simply interested in capital markets one less reason to switch back to their cable box during the day, as the live stream is available for cable subscribers through the Apple TV.
    Or, you could turn it around and say that since I already get that stuff on the cable I have, there's no reason to switch back to my AppleTV during the day.

Honestly, TiVo is my workhorse appliance. I can watch both live and self-recorded content without switching anything. The only time the ATV comes on is to watch streamed Netflix movies. But even that is rare because the streamed offerings on Netflix suck compared to the DVD-by-mail offerings.

If ATV had DVR functionality and an interface and remote superior to TiVo's, it could become my go to device. Until then, it's just a"hobby."
  • Reply 5 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I completely agree. The VAST majority of these "channels" either 1) charge a monthly subscription fee, 2) are nothing but "junk" content like video clips instead of full episodes or live streaming, or 3) aren't available due to local market or service provider restrictions. It is becoming an annoying game of "Whack-A-Mole" to keep deleting these new channels are they pop up.

The interface is in dire need of rethinking for sure. That said I am simply inside the Netfix environment 95% of the time so rarely even see the Apple TV desk top as it were.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Excited to see this.  My DirecTV contract expired recently and as I was moving, I didn't renew.  I have 2 tvs connected to antenna for local channels.  I also have them connected to Apple TVs and as I use a friends FIOS credentials, i'm able to watch everything I did before (except for Discovery).

Thank goodness for Apple TV and good friends.

Side note, the more I use Apple TV the more I love it.

• Reply 7 of 75
    Or, you'll turn it around and say that since I already get that stuff on the cable I have, there's no reason to switch back to my AppleTV during the day.

Honestly, TiVo is my workhorse appliance. I can watch both live and self-recorded content without switching anything. The only time the ATV comes on is to watch streamed Netflix movies. But even that is rare because the streamed offerings on Netflix suck compared to the DVD-by-mail offerings.

If ATV had DVR functionality and an interface and remote superior to TiVo's, it could become my go to device. Until then, it's just a"hobby."

To mention DVR technology in the context of a streaming system seems, IMHO, like asking for running boards and horse pulling attachments on a car.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    allenbf wrote: »
    Excited to see this.  My DirecTV contract expired recently and as I was moving, I didn't renew.  I have 2 tvs connected to antenna for local channels.  I also have them connected to Apple TVs and as I use a friends FIOS credentials, i'm able to watch everything I did before (except for Discovery).

Thank goodness for Apple TV and good friends.

Side note, the more I use Apple TV the more I love it.

Leaving aside the use of someone else's credentials, I had no idea you could run an Apple TV using OTA antennae. How does that work? I must be missing something here in the AD conversion area.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The interface is in dire need of rethinking for sure. That said I am simply inside the Netfix environment 95% of the time so rarely even see the Apple TV desk top as it were.

Me, too. The ATV's Netflix interface is simple and speedy. The Netflix interfaces on my two "smart" TVs, Blu-Ray players, and TiVo boxes are SLOW, cluttered, not as intuitive, and clunky.

• Reply 10 of 75
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Oh hell ya, I can get my Glee fix anytime I want now! /sarcasm
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Or, you could turn it around and say that since I already get that stuff on the cable I have, there's no reason to switch back to my AppleTV during the day.

I have an awesome remote for ATV.  It's called my iPad or iPhone.  But I do agree the ATV remote could be better, and DVR would make it a killer device.  Especially if I could record my local programming through antenna.

Quote:

Leaving aside the use of someone else's credentials, I had no idea you could run an Apple TV using OTA antennae. How does that work? I must be missing something here in the AD conversion area.

Ah, that's just my poor typing skills.  I meant that I have the TVs connected to antenna, and also connected to an ATV.  Apologies.

And yeah, I know what you mean on the credentials, too.  But she's a good friend and I buy her coffee & such here and there, and she doesn't mind my using it.  She doesn't have any iDevices so it'd be a waste if I didn't use them ;-)

• Reply 12 of 75
    sog35 wrote: »
    Really.  Stealing cable. Really.

I read it as he used the credentials (user / pass) to gain access but connected via OTA! I agree that is impossible and he must have meant how you read it and worded it badly. Maybe 'credentials' have another meaning in that neck of the woods! :D

Edit: OK he explained :)
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If I'm paying my friend or buying gifts here and there, I could argue that I'm not stealing.  But it isn't the point, it works for both of us.

• Reply 14 of 75
    I have an awesome remote for ATV.  It's called my iPad or iPhone.  But I do agree the ATV remote could be better, and DVR would make it a killer device.  Especially if I could record my local programming through antenna.

Ah, that's just my poor typing skills.  I meant that I have the TVs connected to antenna, and also connected to an ATV.  Apologies.

And yeah, I know what you mean on the credentials, too.  But she's a good friend and I buy her coffee & such here and there, and she doesn't mind my using it.  She doesn't have any iDevices so it'd be a waste if I didn't use them ;-)

OK gotchya. : I just hope the cable company are understanding.

Your friend isn't Mila Kunis by any chance is she? :D
  • Reply 15 of 75
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    It seems these kinds of additions are popping up because they are inexpensive and easy for apple to do. It really can't take more than a few minutes of coding, and the content deal is essentially what the provider would offer a cable company.

The interface needs work, and there still is little to offer a cable cutter. Meaning...no real revenue model.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    eightzero wrote: »
    It seems these kinds of additions are popping up because they are inexpensive and easy for apple to do. It really can't take more than a few minutes of coding, and the content deal is essentially what the provider would offer a cable company.

The interface needs work, and there still is little to offer a cable cutter. Meaning...no real revenue model.

:D Yep, Apple TV is a real looser ..../s http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2014/02/28/apple-tv-revenue-hit-over-1b-in-2013/
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:

Your friend isn't Mila Kunis by any chance is she? image

I cannot confirm or deny.  ;-)

• Reply 18 of 75
    I cannot confirm or deny.  ;-)

LMAO
  • Reply 19 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »

He's only 'borrowing' it. :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »

I'm hoping we see a new ATV this fall with a new interface. Even if Apple's grand designs with Apple TV aren't ready they could still updated it so the competition doesn't get so far ahead.