Apple references unannounced 'mid-2014' Mac mini in Support Pages document

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2014
In an update to a support document regarding Boot Camp compatibility on Monday, Apple added reference to an as-yet-unannounced "mid-2014" Mac mini, suggesting the company is -- or was -- planning a long overdue refresh of its smallest desktop offering.




As Apple plows through its annual hardware refresh cycle with tweaked iMacs, MacBook Airs and today's MacBook Pro with Retina display, the Mac mini remains untouched since October 2012, when Apple upgraded the computer's CPUs to then-current Intel Ivy Bridge silicon.

A support document modified on Monday, however, made reference to a mid-2014 Mac mini. As seen in the above screenshot of a web-cached version of the document, the supposed mid-2014 Mac mini uses Boot Camp 5 to support 64-bit versions of Microsoft's Windows 8 and Windows 7.

The latest build of Boot Camp 5 -- version 5.1.5640 -- requires current Mac hardware released no earlier than the start of 2013. It should be noted that Boot Camp version 5.1.5621 supports Macs down to 2011 and it is unclear which build Apple suggested for use with the 2014 Mac mini.

While the addition of an unannounced refreshed Mac mini to a support document suggests Apple may be working on an overhaul, it can just as easily be assumed that the post was updated by mistake. With the MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup receiving its mid-2014 refresh today, Apple may have inadvertently modified the Boot Camp document in error, instead meaning to add the new Retina MacBooks to the list.

Popular with a niche audience, the Mac mini has seemingly fallen by the wayside as stronger sellers like the iMac, Mac Pro and MacBook lineup continue to expand their capabilities. There is still a market for the Mac mini, as seen in multiple online forums including numerous active threads on Apple's own Support Communities forum, though the company has been slow to upgrade the tiny desktop with new internals.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Don't get my hopes up.

    I am anxiously awaiting a Haswell quad core mini with Iris Pro graphics.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    fahrwahrfahrwahr Posts: 11member
    Just as I was about to have my employer pull the trigger on a 2012 model for my office (I've been holding out with a 2007 iMac for over six years now), this rumor pops up. I hope this comes soon!
  • Reply 3 of 143
    Uh-oh. Mac mini refresh complainers will have to find something else to complain about.
  • Reply 4 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    How about a working driver for the Radeon 4870, Apple? Since ATI refuses to make one, that is.

  • Reply 5 of 143
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available.

    That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I feel they are overly compromised (eg the macmini 2012 is more capable than all the 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air's), versus the desktops which undoubtly beat the mini. The Iris Pro graphics doesn't make up for the weaker dual-core designs.

    I have a desktop Windows machine that I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could get the same specs in a Macmini. It won't happen. The mini gets relegated to be development/backup system while the windows machine gets to be the primary development/steam-games system.

    OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable. This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    400

    pmz wrote: »
    I am anxiously awaiting a Haswell quad core mini with Iris Pro graphics.

    Is Haswell realistic for a mid-2014 release or are you waiting for something next year?
  • Reply 7 of 143
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    Uh-oh. Mac mini refresh complainers will have to find something else to complain about.

    I hope so. This is crow I want to feast on unquestionably. The time to start saving is now.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    How about a working driver for the Radeon 4870, Apple? Since ATI refuses to make one, that is.


    Shhh...only AMD now.

  • Reply 8 of 143
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    It better be soon because we're already in late mid-2014
  • Reply 9 of 143
    fahrwahrfahrwahr Posts: 11member

    The same page also references Mid 2014 iMac models:  both 21.5" and 27".  Although we know of the neutered 21.5" model, nothing has been announced about a new 27" model.  Are they all getting a bump soon?

  • Reply 10 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It better be soon because we're already in late mid-2014

    When is the cut off? End of August making 3 four-month sections for early-, mid-, and late-year?
  • Reply 11 of 143
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    When is the cut off? End of August making 3 four-month sections for early-, mid-, and late-year?

    Well the exact middle was almost a month ago, so yes I'd say until the end of August., then September would be the start of 'late' .
  • Reply 12 of 143
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by Misa View Post



    The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available.



    That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I feel they are overly compromised (eg the macmini 2012 is more capable than all the 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air's), versus the desktops which undoubtly beat the mini. The Iris Pro graphics doesn't make up for the weaker dual-core designs.



    I have a desktop Windows machine that I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could get the same specs in a Macmini. It won't happen. The mini gets relegated to be development/backup system while the windows machine gets to be the primary development/steam-games system.



    OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable. This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.

    By someone, you mean you.  And you represent 0.1% of mac buying public.  Not a market Apple has to service and maintain mac viability.

  • Reply 13 of 143
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post



    Don't get my hopes up.



    I am anxiously awaiting a Haswell quad core mini with Iris Pro graphics.

    "Life is pain, princess. . . anyone who says differently is selling something."

  • Reply 14 of 143
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    That's dumb. Why make a "mid" without a "late"? That's not like Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    That's dumb. Why make a "mid" without a "late"? That's not like Apple.

    Huh? That is very Apple. You could just call it the year Mac for the ones that only had one update that year but every now and then they do have more than one release in a year so they use that for all of them. Plus it helps isolate how long it's been available more than just saying, say, 2013, when late-2013 would be less than a year and early-2013 would mean it's well over a year old.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post



    The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available.



    That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I feel they are overly compromised (eg the macmini 2012 is more capable than all the 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air's), versus the desktops which undoubtly beat the mini. The Iris Pro graphics doesn't make up for the weaker dual-core designs.



    I have a desktop Windows machine that I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could get the same specs in a Macmini. It won't happen. The mini gets relegated to be development/backup system while the windows machine gets to be the primary development/steam-games system.



    OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable. This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.

     

    The MacBook Air is perfect for iOS development, too. You mention about lack of hardware capabilities on the MacBook range, but it's for iOS development? You realise the hardware requirements for that line of work are minimal, right?

     

    And how are they compromised? It is totally situational. For myself, the speed benefit I get on PCIe based flash outperforms, for the work I'm doing, a Mac Mini any day. (Unless of course, it had the same hardware).

     

    Mac's are not weak, by any means. They are extremely capable. There are just Mac's for a full range of capabilties. High end video editing, 3D modelling, and number crunching are all extremely smooth on the high end Retina Pro's, and the Mac Pro, too.

     

    Also, I'm not sure where you are reading about your misinformation, but the graphics cards on the Mac Pro can be upgraded, just like the CPU, RAM, and Flash sticks.

  • Reply 17 of 143
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,835member

    All together now...Glory, Glory Hallelujah!....

  • Reply 18 of 143
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »
    Don't get my hopes up.

    I am anxiously awaiting a Haswell quad core mini with Iris Pro graphics.

    I just got a seriously large Amazon gift card so the desire to get a Mini has revived itself. Better come quick as I have some shop tools I have an eye on.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Uh-oh. Mac mini refresh complainers will have to find something else to complain about.

    You seem to imply that complaining about the lack of a Mini upgrade is unjustified. Fact is it is a rational response to Apples neglect.
  • Reply 20 of 143

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not ruin this machine too by making it a little thinner and removing functionality and upgradability.   It is small enough, just put Haswell in it and thunderbolt 2.  Leave the form factor and functionality.

     

    You have enough money Apple, don't take another money grab by forcing everyone to buy your WAY WAY WAY overpriced upgrades.

Sign In or Register to comment.