1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

^ post

I knew I was talking to the right person!. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hadn't considered the implications of noise-cancellation. That's a Top Tip; I'll be sure to first check out isolating phones first, this was my preference before I had heard of noise-cancellation anyway.

Had no idea on 'Bose branding' and user opinions. Of course my MMV, but you not only seem to make a good point, you're also easy to take your word for with posts like this one since you're an engineer.

So, Shure. These are now on my TTD list.

Just FYI, the Shure's aren't at the absolute top of my personal preference list for sound quality, but they might be for others. There's nothing about them I DISlike, they just don't move me. I would not be unhappy if they were my only choice though. The cheaper ones are a little on the dark side, but lots of people prefer that. They're definitely up there for comfort, reliability and they have replaceable cables, which I consider a major plus.

I can also tell you that I've never met anyone who didn't like Etymotics, but it's almost impossible to audition them because they don't seem very interested in having any kind of dealer network outside the USA. They also breed a little frustration by making an iPhone-compatible remote/mic available on their consumer models but it's not even an option on the pro versions. That's only an issue if you're planning on spending >USD$300 though. If there's actually a dealer in your area, consider yourself one of the lucky few and give 'em a listen.

BTW, thanks for the feedback on the B&W.

• Reply 142 of 147
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^ post

Thanks much for the follow up. Next thing you'll know I'll start 'using' you for audio advice. Well, not really, but your feedback is appreciated.

I'm not an 'audiophile' or whatever it's called, more into the market for a new pair of in-ear phones. I now know to also include noise-isolation phones, but am not going to spend a grand on the latest* from Shure, SE846: (* latest being Aug 2013)

I could try the SE112 as they're only $50 but knowing from experience I avoid cheap stuff. I think $200 or in my case €200 I should get 'proper' earphones. No Etymotics dealer here, and without being able to listening to them I won't buy anything from them (even with a "go ahead, you'll thank me for it later"). But if Shure, or another brand has really outstanding phones (I like the replaceable cables as well) I could go for €300 or something, but since many of mine have broken in the past (lost count) I don't want to overdo it.

Thank you.
  • Reply 143 of 147
    Quote:

[...] am not going to spend a grand on the latest* from Shure, SE846: (* latest being Aug 2013)

Me either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think $200 or in my case €200 I should get 'proper' earphones.

Yup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No Etymotics dealer here, and without being able to listening to them I won't buy anything from them (even with a "go ahead, you'll thank me for it later").

Me either.

• Reply 144 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks much for the follow up. Next thing you'll know I'll start 'using' you for audio advice. Well, not really, but your feedback is appreciated.

I'm not an 'audiophile' or whatever it's called, more into the market for a new pair of in-ear phones. I now know to also include noise-isolation phones, but am not going to spend a grand on the latest* from Shure, SE846: (* latest being Aug 2013)

I could try the SE112 as they're only $50 but knowing from experience I avoid cheap stuff. I think $200 or in my case €200 I should get 'proper' earphones. No Etymotics dealer here, and without being able to listening to them I won't buy anything from them (even with a "go ahead, you'll thank me for it later"). But if Shure, or another brand has really outstanding phones (I like the replaceable cables as well) I could go for €300 or something, but since many of mine have broken in the past (lost count) I don't want to overdo it.

Thank you.

I wouldn't buy the SE846's if your goal was to use them with a mobile music device, in fact they honestly don't sound any better then say a 300 dollar pair of Shures that were designed for that purpose, their meant to be used on stage, studio and require an amp behind them.
  • Reply 145 of 147
    Quote:

That was, of course, after having used the Apple in-ear earphones for the past couple of years. On my 3rd pair now, but the remote doesn’t work anymore, so I want new ones, but different brand. These B&W are great, but I didn’t want to limit to just one pair and was asked if I had listened to the H3 from B&O. I haven’t, so I popped into a dealer (fortunately the city is filled with them).

I didn’t like the H3, too ‘flat’, not enough bass, drums. Some review agrees with me, but I have no idea if these reviews are any ‘good’. Apostrophised, as I think one needs to listen to headphones themselves and not take someone else’s word for it. Though it does help to see if your opinion is shared by others.

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h3-review.html

B&O always get accused of being too flat and not having enough bass; it's because they're balanced and therefore accurate, which is particularly desirable for classical music. I've never tried their headphones, and am not disputing anyone's reviews. 

• Reply 146 of 147
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy the SE846's if your goal was to use them with a mobile music device, in fact they honestly don't sound any better then say a 300 dollar pair of Shures that were designed for that purpose, their meant to be used on stage, studio and require an amp behind them.

That is indeed what I got from their website: it's made for studio and live work, not for enjoying .mp3 while cycling. I'll try the 315 & 425 and see if I can tell the difference. If not, I'll just get the cheaper ones. Somehow they all die and I need to replace them on an irregular schedule anyway. The 535 must be better at $499 but if I don't look at the price tag I'd say the 535LTD version is an even better buy because of the bended cable. Does your cable wear out?

All of their cables are 162cm long, which is a big plus for me as the ones from Apple are a bit too short at 120cm to stick in my jersey.