Console hit BioShock coming to Apple's iPhone, iPad this summer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member

DLC and Microtransactions aren't inherent problems, the way publishers handle them are.

TF2, DOTA2, LOL...where Microtransactions are mostly cosmetic if anything. Microtransactions become a problem when they disrupt the game mechanics or make the player feel as if they can't progress through the game without spending money. This is the problem with most F2P games on the mobile front and in general.

DLC is also fine, but the value proposition for DLC has massively decreased while the price has not. $15 for a map pack consisting of 5 maps? When I can get an expansion for $30-$40 that will give me almost as much playtime as the $60 base original game? No question. The Expansion pack model has been and to this day is reliable.

Blizzard(Talking Starcraft and Diablo, not WOW. Though WOW can apply here.)

Firaxis

The Creative Assembly(I'm aware of DLC...even the stupid "blood" DLC)

Relic Entertainment

Bethesda Softworks

Some of the most well known and largest companies in their respective genres, and in terms of profitability release expansion packs, digitally and to physical retail because they sell that well.

• Reply 42 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    relic wrote: »
    I didn't fabricate a damn thing, I arranged everything directly with Nvidia. They in turn put me in touch with a company called StegPC who like many other shops all ready have them in inventory. I don't know when the release date is, I don't care what the release date is. StegPC agreed to supply me with the Shields as more become available and shipped back 3 to Nvidia at their request. Nvidia then in turn sent us 5 Nvidia tablets and 5 of the normal comtroller version, directly to the hospital we are staying in. I am still waiting on delivery of the others.

Why do you need 10 devices shipped out to you and why would NVidia ask for a retailer to ship units back to them to then send to you when the retailer is closer to you? Does NVidia not have enough units themselves? They really expect such low demand that their production run didn't leave them with 3 extra tablets?
    Each unit came preloaded with games, a lot of them. Doom 3 was 1,000 percent part of the package, I don't know anything about side loading PC files because these were directly touched by the staff of Nvidia for the kids, I didn't even request it

Why would NVidia preload an M-rated beta version of a game that they have to install manually using a PC onto every one of 10 tablets intended to be used by kids?
    I really don't care what you believe.

Even if the crazy things you come out with are genuine, they are laced with propaganda. When the iPad is mentioned in an article about productivity, you recommend the Microsoft Surface. When it comes to gaming, you pick the unreleased Shield, which is only out for a few weeks before the next iPad so any performance superiority is pretty short-lived. When it comes to workstations, you recommend HP workstations. When it comes to the Mac Mini, you suggest a Lenovo box. When it comes to the Macbook, well here's what you had to say back in 2006:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/63488/apple-unveils-intel-based-macbook-notebooks/360#post_916282

"Yay my Macbook just came today. My first impression, HEAVY! The Macbook is for my wife so I don't mind to much but I really believe Apple is behind technologically in the weight area. I tied to find a 13.3 inch notebook that was heavier but couldn't, the Macbook was the heaviest by at least a pound in every instance. I really hope Apple comes out with a smaller, lighter model. Well thank god OSX works on my Thinkpad X60."

Recommending a Thinkpad and why is the person posting a guy yet sounds just like you? If you are sharing your account with someone, how are people supposed to know what comments are from which person?

All you (and that other guy) ever do is recommend anything-but-Apple products and you do fabricate statements to make the alternatives sound better. It's not balancing discussion when you spread propaganda to make genuine statements about the subject matter of a forum appear worse.
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the Candy Crush developer made more net profit than the top 5 or so AAA studios combined last year.

And this doesn’t immediately scream “PROBLEM” to anyone else? The big studios’ answer to successful games is to buy the smaller studios that made them, destroy the concept, and release a shallow, incomplete, buggy, DLC-packed version (20 versions) of future games. Then they act surprised when people who liked the original games refuse to buy anything from them.

Sales volume isn't really the big problem though, the costs in developing the games are too high and game resale affects profits. The AAA developers are making more revenue so people are buying the games but their net profit is much smaller because they need to pay for so many staff and don't have recurring revenue. That's why they keep pushing preorders now too months before the game comes out. They need those first week sales and that's also why the marketing budget is so high. It's a bad business model.
    jexus wrote:
    DLC is also fine, but the value proposition for DLC has massively decreased while the price has not. The Expansion pack model has been and to this day is reliable.

DLCs use both those descriptions but I know what you mean by expansion pack. There's 2 DLCs for Mafia 2 that you'd refer to as expansion packs but also DLCs that are extra clothes, weapons, cars etc, which are just minor additions - all are labelled as DLCs. The problem with DLC content is it can be anything from a digital hat all the way up to an entire game. Perhaps they need to use two separate descriptions for each but it's about where you draw the line between them. An extra map or level could qualify as an expansion pack if it offers significant enough gameplay. A Splinter Cell level could offer an extra hour of gameplay.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Please read my other post, I'm donating them to the children's ward of the hospital, nothing ominous.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Recommending a Thinkpad and why is the person posting a guy yet sounds just like you? If you are sharing your account with someone, how are people supposed to know what comments are from which person?

You're making assumptions that you really shouldn't be making.  One of my friends is female and has a wife.

• Reply 45 of 49
    droidftw wrote:
    You're making assumptions that you really shouldn't be making. One of my friends is female and has a wife.

Relic has mentioned she has a husband. Does your same sex friend's wife refer to her as her husband?
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Relic has mentioned she has a husband. Does your same sex friend's wife refer to her as her husband?

No, but a situation like that wouldn't be unheard of either.

• Reply 47 of 49
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Marvin wrote: »

He likes to tuck his thingy between his legs and sing Right Said Fred's, I'm too sexy. Does that count?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Marvin wrote: »

He likes to tuck his thingy between his legs and sing Right Said Fred's, I'm too sexy. Does that count?

I'm sure he appreciated you sharing that with us. ;) Now to figure out how to get that image out of my head for the rest of the day.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BioShock's mobile implementation will sport an iOS-tuned control scheme and the graphics have been tweaked to run smoothly on iOS devices, according to Polygon. Among the alterations are the removal of the original game's fog and dynamic shadow effects.

The game is set to sell for a "premium" price.

You can get all 3 BioShock's for $10.19 on Steam right now.  No reduced graphics, effects, or premium price.  ;)