Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    greatrix wrote: »
    Signaled? surely, signalled!

Nope. Both are correct. Just like "all right" and "alright". Spelling nazi fail.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I did not know that. Will try it. Wish I had known this seven years ago.....

According to this link it appears you can hold the Pause/Play button for a few seconds to get it to Sleep. But also noted in the thread is that the Apple uses so little power when in idle before it goes to sleep that it's not an issue.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't understand this desire.

Yeah me neither. You just turn off your TV. The AppleTV automatically goes to sleep after a configurable time has elapsed if you're not playing anything.. No "power" button increases simplicity.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I really wish Apple would get beyond this. The future of TV isn't Apps on a screen, it's fragmented to the point of uselessness. If they release an App Store for AppleTV I'm bailing.

I wish the ghost of Steve Jobs would scare some common sense back into Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Thinner fonts, exactly what I'd been wishing for on my TV!

But seriously, obviously this is a minor uplift while they work on a complete retooling of the UI.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Thank goodness that blue glow highlighting the selected icon is going away - I was often losing track of it. The white outline is a step in the right direction, but I'd prefer something even more noticeable.

• Reply 27 of 84
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    mcdave wrote: »
    I really wish Apple would get beyond this. The future of TV isn't Apps on a screen, it's fragmented to the point of uselessness. If they release an App Store for AppleTV I'm bailing.

I wish the ghost of Steve Jobs would scare some common sense back into Apple.
    Unlike you I bailed due to lack of an App Store. There is no local content outside of the US, it's a piss poor joke of a situation.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The @TV interface has become more and more annoying to use.... it was cool seven years ago when first introduced, but it now looks pathetically dated. (For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

The main thing going for it is that it only costs $99.

You must be using an AppleTV1, because the current UI interface is only 2 years plus a few months old.  It was released in March 2012 with the 3rd Gen model, and worked with the 2nd gen model, but excluded the first gen model (because the first gen was a Pentium CPU, not an A4/A5 CPU).  Go into Settings and choose the time delay required to put the AppleTV to sleep.  It will sleep in as little as 15 minutes with no activity.  No need to force it off when it will sleep on its own.  If you still have a first gen model, maybe you should upgrade because the new units are completely silent and draw very little power.

• Reply 29 of 84
    Rather sick of this "flat" look. It's bad on the iPhone and I shudder to think of it in OS X Yosemite and now it's slinking its way into Apple TV.

Johhny Ive should stick to hardware design. Software is not his fortè.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rather sick of this "flat" look. It's bad on the iPhone and I shudder to think of it in OS X Yosemite and now it's slinking its way into Apple TV.

Johhny Ive should stick to hardware design. Software is not his fortè.

Like it or not, it's here to stay so you might as well get used to it. I'm sure Jony I've isn't the only one who has a day in what things looks like.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not a fan of Computers" being a button/channel. I have an iTunes Server that I always access with my Apple TV but I have to jump through extra steps to get there. Just let me put my iTS Movies and iTS TV Shows channels on the main page.

Great idea! :)

• Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Thinner fonts, exactly what I'd been wishing for on my TV!

But seriously, obviously this is a minor uplift while they work on a complete retooling of the UI.

I've always liked thinner fonts and was using thinner fonts way back in 1998....and that's just about where all similarities btwn Apple and I begin and end! :)

Best! 

• Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah me neither. You just turn off your TV. The AppleTV automatically goes to sleep after a configurable time has elapsed if you're not playing anything.. No "power" button increases simplicity.

But... I use a HDMI switcher (cheaper than upgrading my otherwise perfectly good receiver) that will automatically switch to an active HDMI input. I have a blu-ray, HD-DVD, Roku, AppleTV, and a cable box. Neither the Roku nor AppleTV turn off, so I have to manually switch inputs on my switch which I could avoid if either the AppleTV or Roku had a power-off option.

• Reply 34 of 84
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

The Apple TV has a 6-watt power supply. Actual power consumption is around 4 watts or less. At $0.10 per kWh, that's $3.50 per year at most for electricity to run it if it were on and playing a movie 24 hours power day, 365 day per year. Holding the center SELECT button for >5 seconds puts it to sleep immediately or you can set the interval between 15 minutes and 10 hours to sleep automatically. Like most every other electronic device, the Apple TV never really goes completely "off" unless you unplug it from the wall. If your home has an AC-powered door bell or AC-powered smoke detectors, those devices use more electricity than your Apple TV does - even when nobody is ringing the doorbell and nothing is on fire. :)

• Reply 35 of 84
    How about giving another option for color besides white text on black background? That pallet choice is destructive to your vision.
  • Reply 36 of 84

to each his own, I couldn't disagree with this more. I Found skeomorphism and thick fonts to be hideous. 

• Reply 37 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Like it or not, it's here to stay so you might as well get used to it. I'm sure Jony I've isn't the only one who has a day in what things looks like.
    Exactly. Last time I checked Apple employs thousands of software engineers. Are we really to believe Ive is the only one who has a say in software design? And if Ive was mandating the UI look and software designers and engineers didn't agree with him wouldn't we have heard about it now? Either by employees leaving or complaining to Cook?
  • Reply 38 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

But... I use a HDMI switcher (cheaper than upgrading my otherwise perfectly good receiver) that will automatically switch to an active HDMI input. I have a blu-ray, HD-DVD, Roku, AppleTV, and a cable box. Neither the Roku nor AppleTV turn off, so I have to manually switch inputs on my switch which I could avoid if either the AppleTV or Roku had a power-off option.

In the top menu hold the select button for a few seconds to put the AppleTV to sleep.  Roku... I have no idea.

• Reply 39 of 84
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member

Hold down the Menu button for 2 seconds to return to the top menu (if not already there).

Then hold down the Play/Pause button for 2 seconds to sleep the device.

It's not perfect – you have to get back to the top menu.  But it is workable, and you can do it without the screen being on.

The one thing to note is that you have to return to the top menu, and be below the icons at the very top (the row that shows new releases, or last played items on your computer etc).  It won't sleep if you are on the top icons.  Very annoying.

• Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to this link it appears you can hold the Pause/Play button for a few seconds to get it to Sleep. But also noted in the thread is that the Apple uses so little power when in idle before it goes to sleep that it's not an issue.

Pressing the Play/Pause button to make it go to sleep does not work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You must be using an AppleTV1, because the current UI interface is only 2 years plus a few months old.  It was released in March 2012 with the 3rd Gen model, and worked with the 2nd gen model, but excluded the first gen model (because the first gen was a Pentium CPU, not an A4/A5 CPU).  Go into Settings and choose the time delay required to put the AppleTV to sleep.  It will sleep in as little as 15 minutes with no activity.  No need to force it off when it will sleep on its own.  If you still have a first gen model, maybe you should upgrade because the new units are completely silent and draw very little power.

Mine are 3rd gen. I will try this out. Thanks. (Add: The software is fully updated).