Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84

Welcome to the 21st Century. Do you like it here?

Oh yes. Except for the occasional blowhard internet jerk....
  • Reply 62 of 84
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I designed software for a lot of years.  This news, to my mind, suggests that Apple is in the process of making significant changes to AppleTV, a first step of which is to simply apply the same design language to the existing UI, to be followed by the actual reworking of that UI and associated functionality, which Apple is undoubtedly doing behind the scenes and away from the visible beta program.  

If there's any product in Apple's suite that would benefit from a major refresh during the holiday season, it's AppleTV.  I'm hoping that's what we;re getting hints of here.

I hope not. Don't redesign the UI, lose it. Rework the Apple Remote to be a service aggregator, maybe produce a 6" dedicated Apple Remote product but kill the UI.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Oh yes. Except for the occasional blowhard internet jerk....

Yeah but whatareya gonna do
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Very cool, seems my Apple TV, iPhone & iPads are all going to have the same look & UI feel
  • Reply 65 of 84
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    "Simple concept actually. Some one would like to turn something off when they're done using it. Make sense to me."

You know can set it to go to sleep after a certain period of no activity in settings. It uses 0.8 watts when asleep.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    yoyo2222 wrote: »
    You know can set it to go to sleep after a certain period of no activity in settings. It uses 0.8 watts when asleep.

So we're talking 0.8 Watts per hour × 24 hours × 365 days for 7.008 kWh per year? Correct?

This site below states that the average in the US is 12¢ per kWhr so we're talking 7.008 × 12 cents for a grand total of 84¢ per year. That's nearly double the cost to charge an iPhone per year but well under their stated average of 908 kWh per month or 10,896 kWh per year.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    I guess you don't mind the 7 - 10 button presses typically needed to get it to sleep?
    You don't mind to just set it to sleep at 15' inactivity. No button press needed
  • Reply 68 of 84
    dysamoria wrote: »
    So it's ugly and harder to read like the rest of Apple's "new" design changes... Yay.
    Yes, and >92% iOS users are on this "ugly" design, so the thing is damn successful... Live with it.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    dunks wrote: »
    Pro tip: hold "menu" for two seconds to jump back to the home screen, tap down (to ensure the cursor is not on the top row) then hold "play/pause" for 2 seconds. boom.

It sounds convoluted but it's actually simple enough you can do it with the display off. It was one of the first things I learned to do with my Apple TV.
    set inactivity at 15' and forget about the button press.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Finally! This has been a long time coming.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    That's awkward... you hold down the Play/Pause button on the remote at the main screen to put it to sleep.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

-Safari (strictly for hotel/internet wifi connection)

I don't ask for much Apple.... I'm even fine with the UI if that other stuff happens.  Sure- there are some annoyances, but I'm willing to look past your few flaws.  I BEG OF YOU!!!

I'm sure you already know this.  I post this for other readers who may not know how to work around the lack of a web browser for using the Apple TV from a hotel room.

Most hotels require you to authenticate via a web-page that pops up when you select the hotel network.  Even if it's a free connection, they may want you to enter your room number and last name and they almost always require that you click on "I agree" to make sure you will comply with the terms of service.  Since Apple TV doesn't include any kind of built-in web-browser, it is impossible to see or respond to these sign on messages.

To get around this:

1.  Call the front desk and ask them for the phone number for the "internet support people".

2.  Navigate to Settings->General->Network and note the Wi-Fi Address (MAC address).

3.  Call the internet support people and tell them you want them to authorize a device using its MAC address.

4.  Give them the Wi-Fi Address from step 2 when they ask.

5.  Ask them if they can authorize it for the entire duration of your stay.  (Some may require you to phone in every day)

6.  If they won't authorize it for the entire length of your stay, or if you will be staying at this hotel again in the future; ask them for the support ticket number so when you call back in to authorize it again, you can just give them the ticket number and they will know what to do,

One additional hotel tip:

Some hotels try to disable the HDMI ports on the in-room televisions so that you will be forced to purchase movie from the hotel at ridiculous prices.  They will also provide a custom remote control that doesn't have the button on it to switch to HDMI-1.  If that's the case, look at the back of the TV.  The device which disables the external inputs usually connects via an RJ-45 connector (looks like a network jack).  Unplug this and the restrictions should be eliminated.  If the TV remote is non-standard, look for the controls on the side of the TV.  There should be one labeled 'Input'.  Press this to cycle through the inputs until you find the one that you plugged the Apple TV into

I second the request for the inclusion of Safari in a future update.

• Reply 73 of 84
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

A continuity feature I would like to see added to the Apple TV is the ability for the Apple TV to become a streaming source in my home.  Kind of like a reverse-airplay capability.

I would like to connect to my Apple TV with any of my iOS devices or PC's and MacBook's within my home and connect to a live stream of whatever happens to be currently playing on the Apple TV - or possibly a stream of anything that it is capable of playing. 

One of my use cases would be during family movie night.  This capability would allow me to grab my iPad, connect to the live stream and then leave the TV room to go use the restroom or prepare a snack in the kitchen without forcing the rest of the family to pause the movie and without missing any of the action.  Some days it might be nice to watch something outside on the deck instead of in the home theater in the basement.  I know that most of the Apple TV content is also available via iOS apps, but it would be more convenient if I didn't have to download and sign in to them all individually when I've already done so on the Apple TV.  And this way multiple family members could watch the program in-sync with each other instead of being at different positions during playback.

• Reply 74 of 84

`I use my Apple TV a lot, and it is useful, but get really frustrated with the laborious effort needed to key information into it, 'Stone-age 'tools  in a high tech piece of equipment? That surely shouldn't be!

• Reply 75 of 84
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    The @TV interface has become more and more annoying to use.... it was cool seven years ago when first introduced, but it now looks pathetically dated. (For instance, I wish there was simple way to press and hold a button in the remote to turn the damn thing off.)

The main thing going for it is that it only costs $99.

There is a way.:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3176
    What I wish is for the remote to control volume and TV input..
  • Reply 76 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Computers" being a button/channel. I have an iTunes Server that I always access with my Apple TV but I have to jump through extra steps to get there. Just let me put my iTS Movies and iTS TV Shows channels on the main page.

One of the many who agree with you. The computers app is redundant. It *should be* like any other Apple iOS device. You put in your Apple ID and it syncs all your data on your Mac. Photos, podcasts, TV shows, movies, music should all be an extension of your Mac or Apple ID account. Not to mention the nam "computers" suggestion you could have multiple computers connected and searchable simultaneously. Bit no, it doesn't. You have to sign out of one and sign in with another, so it should be "Computer", and buried in the Setting App.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    [/quote]
    greatrix wrote: »
    `I use my Apple TV a lot, and it is useful, but get really frustrated with the laborious effort needed to key information into it, 'Stone-age 'tools  in a high tech piece of equipment? That surely shouldn't be!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8
  • Reply 78 of 84
    saarek wrote: »
    Unlike you I bailed due to lack of an App Store. There is no local content outside of the US, it's a piss poor joke of a situation.

That's not really Apple's fault, content-wise. It has everything to do with the agreement between Apple and the content providers. If the providers (big media) doesn't want to offer content outside of the USA then they won't allow it. And the ATV isn't the only STB that is in this boat.

As for App Store..,I hear ya. However if an App Store is in the works, what would you suggest it carry? And how do you do the UI for apps? You can Airplay you iOS device to the ATV and use all the apps you want. I'm getting pretty tired of people arguing for an App Store when they don't really think through what that actually means and how it would be implemented. Do you really want to use your tv like any other iOS device? And how do you control it without and iOS device. And if you have an iOS device you can Airplay, and you prolly won't be using your tv to view he content since you have to look down at your iOS device to use the UI. It really, really complex problem to solve. If SJ says he cracked it, maybe he was on to something, maybe it fizzled out? Maybe Apple is waiting for more integrated and extensive content rights to update the ATV. Who knows...but to many this minor update is just to either piss people off who are waiting for a real update or a way to keep normal people something nice and new to look at.

Personally I think the ATV with all it's billion channels is very long in the tooth now and needs a better way. Just listen to Siracusa's rants on it for details. For me, once the apps start scrolling of f screen, they loose me. I have about 75% of the new channels hidden now because they all take a cable subscription to work, which I cut my cable TV a year ago and exclusively use netflix, hulu+ and iTunes for all my daily content...haven't looked back yet.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member

Couldn't agree more. This is starting to look more like cutesy Windows icons every day.

• Reply 80 of 84
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    That's not really Apple's fault, content-wise. It has everything to do with the agreement between Apple and the content providers. If the providers (big media) doesn't want to offer content outside of the USA then they won't allow it. And the ATV isn't the only STB that is in this boat.

As for App Store..,I hear ya. However if an App Store is in the works, what would you suggest it carry? And how do you do the UI for apps? You can Airplay you iOS device to the ATV and use all the apps you want. I'm getting pretty tired of people arguing for an App Store when they don't really think through what that actually means and how it would be implemented. Do you really want to use your tv like any other iOS device? And how do you control it without and iOS device. And if you have an iOS device you can Airplay, and you prolly won't be using your tv to view he content since you have to look down at your iOS device to use the UI. It really, really complex problem to solve. If SJ says he cracked it, maybe he was on to something, maybe it fizzled out? Maybe Apple is waiting for more integrated and extensive content rights to update the ATV. Who knows...but to many this minor update is just to either piss people off who are waiting for a real update or a way to keep normal people something nice and new to look at.

Personally I think the ATV with all it's billion channels is very long in the tooth now and needs a better way. Just listen to Siracusa's rants on it for details. For me, once the apps start scrolling of f screen, they loose me. I have about 75% of the new channels hidden now because they all take a cable subscription to work, which I cut my cable TV a year ago and exclusively use netflix, hulu+ and iTunes for all my daily content...haven't looked back yet.

I made an argument in a thread for an App Store several months ago. But here it is in a nutshell:
    -games made for the ATV which would eliminate any lag via Airplay
    -provide an accepted standard. That way- if amazon wants to put prime on- but the standard doesn't allow in-app purchases, then we might have prime in a few months.
    -television channels that developed for the standard quicker- Vudu (which understandably, apple wouldn't want- but if it applied to the standard- like on iOS- you could have it), flixster, BBC, the list goes on and on.
    -screensaver apps- maybe sports score/news scroller on the bottom while displaying the weather in one corner and your icloud pictures in the other., etc. Just a thought off the top of my head. I'm sure developers would create and engineer some compelling apps if they had a standard in which to comply.

Trust in developers. Some things we have now, we would have never imagined if they weren't given an opportunity to shine. Let them do their thing.
    An App Store would also allow us to delete apps instead of simply hiding them. :)