Schools lament shortcomings of Apple's iPad as some opt instead for Chromebooks

Comments

• Reply 201 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,608member
    sog35 wrote: »
    True.

But look at each companies TRACT RECORD.

FACT: Google has been sued DOZENS of times for privacy breach
    FACT: Google has been found guilty at least 7 times for privacy breach
    FACT: Google was found guilty stealing passwords, logins, emails, photo's using their Street view cars
    FACT: Google makes 99% of their money by selling your information

Does Apple have a history of privacy breach.  NO.
    Does Apple rely on personal information to MAKE MONEY? No.

Use your brain.  Google's very life blood is PERSONAL INFORMATION.  You really think they will stop using that information to maximize profits? Especially since the government only slaps their wrist when they are found GUILTY?  Really?

You've obviously spent some time looking into it. My post was simply noting that if you think Google's Privacy Policy is "SCARY" Apple's is pretty much the same.
  • Reply 202 of 337
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You've obviously spent some time looking into it. My post was simply noting that if you think Google's Privacy Policy is "SCARY" Apple's is pretty much the same.

That's why I wear a tin foil hat, Google rays man, there everywhere. I have so many questions though, where do I search for the answers, oh God the dilemma it's to much for me, must Google, nnnnnnooooooo.

• Reply 203 of 337
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    They basically just threw the iPads at the teachers and said "Make sense of this." As if teachers don't have enough on their plates already than to muck around though the sea of free/fremium apps on the App Store to find something relevant to their students.

Point her here: http://speirs.org

And perhaps she can point someone inside the school district to him and they may get something useful out of 'em.
  • Reply 204 of 337
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    relic wrote: »
    So basically you want a file manager and that would solve most of your problems. I also want one too, there is a program called ES File Explorer in Android that not only gives you access to your local directory but allows the mounting of pretty much every cloud storage solution there is, NAS, Samba and FTP sites, etc. To copy my media files back from different machines all I have to do is make sure there is shared folder on the target machine and then I can access it from ES. It's clean, easy, zero hassles.

With iOS, I have to go to the program where the file(s) is/are and then upload them to whatever cloud storage that particular app supports. A lot of the times I have to do one file at a time, again it depends on the app. Also, Even though I have iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive and Box installed on my iPad not all apps support them all, in fact most just support iCloud ann Dropbox. Then from the other machine I log into the cloud storage that contains the file(s) and download it/them to that machine. I feel your pain, it sucks but Tallest is correct, it's not what the iPad was designed to do, apps are sandboxed and have limited communication which each other. Hopefully now that IBM is involved things like this will be addressed but I'm not holding my breath.

It's one of the reasons why I have a Nexus 10, a fantastic little machine for 200 bucks. Anyway I use it as a support tool for my iPad. I can easily transfer all of my files to and from any source, for example after I upload that file from iOS to DropBox, I see it appear on my Nexus under ES, then I simply drag and drop it to where I need it to go. Since I have every single data source mounted, it's my file manegament overlord sort of speak. You don't have to follow my example but where there's a will to solve, there's a solution. No need to get upset just adopt, overcome or move on, good luck.

Oh @Relic... why'd you ruin the good previous posts with this BS workaround.. :no:

Ever tried File Browser for iOS?
    Note to self: proof your posts

I've been using it for years and recommend it to everyone. The easiest way to get anything from a computer or local and/or cloud NAS as long as you have Wifi and the proper permissions.:p
  • Reply 205 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

True.

FACT: Google was found guilty stealing passwords, logins, emails, photo's using their Street view cars

Use your brain.  Google's very life blood is PERSONAL INFORMATION.  You really think they will stop using that information to maximize profits? Especially since the government only slaps their wrist when they are found GUILTY?  Really?

Apple is also about maximizing profits.  Do you really think they don't use your personal information to increase their revenue?

• Reply 206 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Schools are an archaic concept. They are publicly funded babysitting services with marginal utility for learning. Anyone who can afford it should either homeschool or go with a private school. I have a suspicion that everything one learns in grade school through high school could be learned in less than half the time with a concentrated learning environment.

Indeed. Schools institutionalise humanity. We will be much better as people when they are gone. The family and church should replace it as the centre of life.

• Reply 207 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Oh @Relic... why'd you ruin the good previous posts with this BS workaround.. image

Ever tried File Browser for iOS?

Note to self: proof your posts

I've been using it for years and recommend it to everyone. The easiest way to get anything from a computer or local and/or cloud NAS as long as you have Wifi and the proper permissions.image

I truly didn't know this existed, just downloaded it. Looks pretty good so far, I still prefer ES File Explorer but this will defiantly work, thanks for the tip. I really just use my iPad for music creation so I don't go looking for newest and greatest apps unless it has to do with Midi then I'm all over it, so don't be too mad at me. Thank you again.

Update; Ooooohhhh, I got my VPN to work, yyyyaaaaaayyyy, this girl is a happy camper.

• Reply 208 of 337
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,448moderator
    Keyboards are a daily reminder of how dumb our computers really are.

That's the real problem. Real people don't have keyboards attached to them, we communicate with speech as it's more efficient. This isn't ideal for interacting with computers but there should be a faster input method than a keyboard. The mouse pointer is a bit more reliable and efficient than using a finger but this can be replicated with 3D gestures.

What I'd like to see on the iPad is a 3D gesture tracking device that allows you to sit the iPad up like a laptop screen and you just move your hands over the desk horizontally. The on-screen keyboard wouldn't need to be anything like a normal keyboard that takes up a large chunk of the display, it can be a tiny row of characters that get highlighted by your finger movements.

You'd just move the hand or finger left to right and the text row can expand like the Dock magnifying glass and tap to select. There doesn't necessarily have to be a mouse pointer because that's a single input but maybe there can be highlights of some kind to show where the fingers are touching.
  • Reply 209 of 337
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The chromebookes used in my 13y/o nephew's school system has been a disaster. My nephew always approaches me to help me diagnose/fix his chromebook, resolve WiFi connectivity issues, and spends more time getting fixed (under warranty) than he gets to use it.

Is this what the school system thinks is "useful"?

It's a lemon.  Return it to school for an exchange.  My friend's daughter is using her chromebook issued by the school every day and has no problem at all.

• Reply 210 of 337
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Apple is also about maximizing profits.  Do you really think they don't use your personal information to increase their revenue?

Yes. Because they sell products. Not people. Google doesn’t sell products.

• Reply 211 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

True.

Our company spends an enormous amount of resource trying to provide personalized web pages to our customers.  I think many companies do that too.  Consumers like to have "personalized" touch to their experience.  However, people are afraid that their information will end up on the NSA list, or be sold to any companies which can pay the price.  What a dilemma.   Just use your internet alternate identities if you don't want google to know your real identity.

• Reply 212 of 337
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Consumers like to have "personalized" touch to their experience.

We like to set that touch ourselves, not have it dictated by SEO.

• Reply 213 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

...i am sorry but having to connect it to a computer for itunes file transfers sucks major ass, and having to rely on icloud or internet for file tranfer/archiving blows when you have to no other option but shit networks (think mainland china...as in my point of reference)

I have to agree with this.  It's really a problem.  When there is no internet connection, it's so difficult to transfer files from ipad to my mbp.  I have to look for the cable if i remember to bring it or try to ask around to borrow one.  Why can i just use bluetooth?  my mbp has bluetooth and my ipad has bluetooth.  Am i missing something?  Or do i need to download an app to do that?  (this is a real question, please let me know if there is an app allows bluetooth file transfers between ipad and mbp.  Or any other way to transfer files w/o a cable and no internet/network connection?)

• Reply 214 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The iOS is for fun. The Mac is for work and fun. Full stop.

... semicolon, and tilde are punctuation marks in the English language. Additionally, iOS is for work.”

This concludes example three of the worksheet on contextual paragraph construction. Please reorder the sentences such that they make sense in context.

Semicolon and tilde are punctuation marks in the English language; additionally, iOS is for work...

Do I pass?

• Reply 215 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Re-rebuttal: So what did you use to type your comment? image

The answer is 'fingers'.

What do I win?

A golden apple.

• Reply 216 of 337
    Marvin wrote: »
    That's the real problem. Real people don't have keyboards attached to them, we communicate with speech as it's more efficient. This isn't ideal for interacting with computers but there should be a faster input method than a keyboard. The mouse pointer is a bit more reliable and efficient than using a finger but this can be replicated with 3D gestures.

What I'd like to see on the iPad is a 3D gesture tracking device that allows you to sit the iPad up like a laptop screen and you just move your hands over the desk horizontally. The on-screen keyboard wouldn't need to be anything like a normal keyboard that takes up a large chunk of the display, it can be a tiny row of characters that get highlighted by your finger movements.

You'd just move the hand or finger left to right and the text row can expand like the Dock magnifying glass and tap to select. There doesn't necessarily have to be a mouse pointer because that's a single input but maybe there can be highlights of some kind to show where the fingers are touching.

That would he awesome, isn't Apple working on 3D gestures. Anyway have you seen this, I know it's not exactly what your talking about the applications for this are endless.

[VIDEO]because that's a single input but maybe there can be highlights of some kind to show where the fingers are touching.[/quote]

That would be pretty cool, sign me up. On a different note have you seen this Kickstarter project? The applications for this gadget are endless.

</br>

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 217 of 337
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Have friends, an ex and a fiancee who are teachers.  Without exception, they all say that the one thing they wish is for every kid to have a laptop.

Asked about iPads.  They say it's great for specific lessons.   But overall, there's much more value in every kid having a cheap laptop.  Not sure what Apple can do in this space, except maybe come up with a special keyboard case for the iPad, for the education market...

I doubt Apple can win in this space.  Cost is a big deal for publicly funded schools.  They can toss away money frivolously.  And one iPad is probably the same cost as two chromebooks, let alone the cost of some kind of keyboard case for that iPad.  Apple's never wanted to capture low yielding markets.  Maybe this is one market they can pass on.

• Reply 218 of 337
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Schools are an archaic concept. They are publicly funded babysitting services with marginal utility for learning. Anyone who can afford it should either homeschool or go with a private school. I have a suspicion that everything one learns in grade school through high school could be learned in less than half the time with a concentrated learning environment.

You can't be serious.  So now because some schools aren't buying iPads, all schools should be boycotted by Apple fans?

This is a new level of crazy....

• Reply 219 of 337
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Anyway have you seen this

Haven't seen that before, only this €90 thingy:

http://store-eur.leapmotion.com

edit: I believe [@]Dick Applebaum[/@] bought one.
  • Reply 220 of 337
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I truly didn't know this existed, just downloaded it. Looks pretty good so far, I still prefer ES File Explorer but this will defiantly work, thanks for the tip. I really just use my iPad for music creation so I don't go looking for newest and greatest apps unless it has to do with Midi then I'm all over it, so don't be too mad at me. Thank you again.

Update; Ooooohhhh, I got my VPN to work, yyyyaaaaaayyyy, this girl is a happy camper.

Well I do declare, I got me my best Foghorn Leggorn: strutt goin' on here!

We all know who rools the roost in these parts, but I plead you make it not so obvious darlin'!

Like me Grandpa used to say, "Peck me once, shame on me; peck me twice... oblige and allow me ito call you a pecker!" :smokey:

Glad to hear I could be of some help, and stay strong babe and keep on peckin'!

*** If ya can't tell, I come from the Old School of Chivalry and Chauvinism. No My Sogony going on in these parts, just plain old RESPECT!

Sent from my (cough.. Uh um) iPad.