Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads

Comments

• Reply 261 of 288
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's sickening. I had to go hunting though the registry last week just to get rid of the vendor's default background image.

And stickening¡ It was introduced, when, 3.11? Just because those .ini files didn't work out after all, they created this solution. But it didn't solve much. Perhaps it is faster than .ini files, but with today's hardware I don't see .ini files as a problem. Hey, .plist files work on OSX, right?

Personally I like the Registry. Not because for what it is (a pathetic way to tackle a problem) but because one can alter Windows to something it wash;t designed to do. Kind of a FU to MS. Hmm, a new acronym, FUMS.
  • Reply 262 of 288
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

First thing to do after installing Windows is to set everything the way you want it to look...in the Registry.

Whee. My heart flutters with delight.

Or is that a palpitation... 

• Reply 263 of 288
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Whee. My heart flutters with delight.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Or is that a palpitation... </span>

Funny that; one's heart can have both feelings at the same time.
  • Reply 264 of 288
    philboogie wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Whee. My heart flutters with delight.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Or is that a palpitation... </span>

Funny that; one's heart can have both feelings at the same time.

Perhaps, but they would be tautologous feelings.
  • Reply 265 of 288
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

The only thing I'd really agree with there is that it is definitely too bulky and heavy (the first-generation version, anyway). I haven't held the third gen Surface in my hands yet, so I must reserve judgement on that.

Also, as a side note, I'm using services like OneDrive at the moment...and I've got that installed and synced up on my iMac. So I'm finding that this is working quite well for me. It also means that I'm not really tempted to do the Boot Camp thing on the iMac; I'm sticking to the Surface for the Windows stuff.

The new Surface 3 is extremely thin for a tablet that contains an i5 or i7 processor, here is a comparison with an iPhone, cool huh;

Right now I have to say OneDrive is my favorite cloud storage, the speed at which I can upload and download my files just absolutely blows everything out of the water, though it has a lot to do with that MS servers are literally just 20 miles away from where I live, even when I'm in Germany or France though it's still faster then competition, functionality and features are well done, especially their online photo and video gallery, love that their video player automatically converts almost every codec into a streamable format and of course the reliability is fantastic. I especially like that MS has a client for every OS that I use.
  • Reply 266 of 288
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's sickening. I had to go hunting though the registry last week just to get rid of the vendor's default background image.

Wow, I've never heard of that before, a locked background image, who in their right mind does that, how tacky. That would defiantly piss me off, it's almost as bad as those damn stickers that Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc. put on new computers, especially notebooks, I friggen hate that with a absolute fiery passion.
  • Reply 267 of 288

Yes, that’s one of the few redeeming qualities of Windows 8. The OS still doesn’t seem to comprehend how to handle full screen applications, however, and the Task Manager is often trapped behind a frozen application.

Speaking of which, all the “tweaking” available to Windows and I can’t readjust my icon spacing? Geez.

CTRL, ALT, DEL still works the same way, if the Task Manager is already opened just use ALT TAB to switch between apps, or swipe from left, it doesn't matter if the program is frozen, you can still always swipe down to close it as master gestures are not part of the program but system.

Changing icon spacing is still fairly simple to do, using regdit;

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop - WindowMetrics, then double-click on each of the IconSpacing (horizontal icon spacing) and IconVerticalSpacing (vertical icon spacing) respectively.

Now, you are able to adjust the parameters for icon spacing. Parameters are between -480 and -2750. After you are done, you must log off and log on again, and rearrange the icons in order to see the results.

Hope this helps Tallest, have a great day.
  • Reply 268 of 288
    ingsoc wrote: »
    The stylus may seem a bit old-fashioned, but you really have to wait and use it in combination with One Note. It's gorgeous in that context.

OneNote is one killer app for the Surface, I use it a lot, it's just fantastic.

Here is a little video about how the Stylus performs on the Surface 3 with apps like OneNote Photoshop, worth a look see;

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 269 of 288
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

…if the Task Manager is already opened just use ALT TAB to switch between apps, or swipe from left, it doesn’t matter if the program is frozen, you can still always swipe down to close it as master gestures are not part of the program but system.

Ah, my dear, that never works. Focus is always immediately stolen from me and returned to the frozen application. Sometimes the Taskbar is accessible, allowing you to repeatedly right-click the icon and mash “close window” 1,000 times in an effort to get it gone, but most of the time logging out is the only fix.

Changing icon spacing is still fairly simple to do, using regdit;

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop - WindowMetrics, then double-click on each of the IconSpacing (horizontal icon spacing) and IconVerticalSpacing (vertical icon spacing) respectively.

Now, you are able to adjust the parameters for icon spacing. Parameters are between -480 and -2750. After you are done, you must log off and log on again, and rearrange the icons in order to see the results.

I get the feeling I may have tried this, but darn if I won’t do it again. Thanks, Relic.

• Reply 270 of 288
    relic wrote: »
    OneNote is one killer app for the Surface, I use it a lot, it's just fantastic.

Here is a little video about how the Stylus performs on the Surface 3 with apps like OneNote Photoshop, worth a look see;

[VIDEO]

Oh dear!!! I'm half way through, and I want to throw in rage anything around me (the cat has left the building... good for him!).

Just curious: did you really watch the whole demo? Did you not see how flustered the guy got? Pointing at things and nothing happens; clicking his pen... nothing happens; making excuses for "little icons" and mis-hitting the start menu when trying to click an icon; the pen sometimes not writing... or in his own words "it's quite difficult to click on the right spot to access the text interpreter"... then doing it, and a different window pops up so he can input AGAIN. "His girlfriend changed the settings and he couldn't find them again"... what does that tell you?!?

THIS. IS. NOT. READY. FOR. PRIME. TIME. Period.

And I must say, the video immediately causes me to recoil in shock and awe that anyone would possibly put up with this. There is NOTHING he did with his pen, that you can't do marking up a PDF with your finger. Even he resorts to 'touch" and said it would be easier with a mouse.

Please Relic... I so want to see your side and am happy for you that you're enjoying this device. i just don't see how i ever could at this stage. It wouldn't last 30 minutes in my hands... and the cat better be in the next county before I launch that thing like a missile and it evaporates in a lethal cluster bomb!!! :devil:

*** I love my cat... he loves me too, because I feed him Chicken of the Sea... ;)

*** You quoted *me" above in a post, however I wasn't the person that wrote what you quoted. How did that happen? You weren't using the Surface I hope? (Now *I'm* being persnickety... it's catching... ugh!)
  • Reply 271 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Oh dear!!! I'm half way through, and I want to throw in rage anything around me (the cat has left the building... good for him!).

Just curious: did you really watch the whole demo? Did you not see how flustered the guy got? Pointing at things and nothing happens; clicking his pen... nothing happens; making excuses for "little icons" and mis-hitting the start menu when trying to click an icon; the pen sometimes not writing... or in his own words "it's quite difficult to click on the right spot to access the text interpreter"... then doing it, and a different window pops up so he can input AGAIN. "His girlfriend changed the settings and he couldn't find them again"... what does that tell you?!?

THIS. IS. NOT. READY. FOR. PRIME. TIME. Period.

And I must say, the video immediately causes me to recoil in shock and awe that anyone would possibly put up with this. There is NOTHING he did with his pen, that you can't do marking up a PDF with your finger. Even he resorts to 'touch" and said it would be easier with a mouse.

Please Relic... I so want to see your side and am happy for you that you're enjoying this device. i just don't see how i ever could at this stage. It wouldn't last 30 minutes in my hands... and the cat better be in the next county before I launch that thing like a missile and it evaporates in a lethal cluster bomb!!! image

*** I love my cat... he loves me too, because I feed him Chicken of the Sea... image

*** You quoted *me" above in a post, however I wasn't the person that wrote what you quoted. How did that happen? You weren't using the Surface I hope? (Now *I'm* being persnickety... it's catching... ugh!)

HeHe fair enough, first I didn't want to post a puff piece on the operation of the pen, brutal honesty man, all tech has it's problems though, my iPad frustrates me all the time to the point where I want to throw it out the window, why Apple, why can't I run more then one music app at a funky time. That being said though the pen back button problem he had in the beginning has been fixed about 2 updates ago, it really does work now, honestly What would frustrate you, he's using desktop apps, not tablet, I think it's great. Though personally, I only use the pen to sketch my ideas, write musical notes and of course of notes, especially recipes and grocery lists, I never use the character recognition. Rest of the time my Surface 3 is used as a music production system and for that it's brilliant, thing was made to run Ableton Live. If I get out this hell I'm currently in I want to buy a 27" touch display for my Surface 3 to extend the desktop, I love touch interfaces and I seriously won't buy another laptop unless it has one. Doc, I honestly think you would like the Surface 3, I really do. There must be a place where you could buy, try it for a few days, then return it. Even if you hate the idea, it's still fun trying out new things. Luv yea!

• Reply 272 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Haha, I haven't watched the video in question...but from my own hands-on experience with OneNote, it works really well. I like the fact that in OneNote, you can combine the hand-drawn stuff with the more structured stuff (i.e. you can hand-draw a table really roughly and OneNote will automatically "snap" it into a proper table structure). It works really nicely - and again, it's great for work. I find that I almost use it like a little whiteboard to explain concepts to people in a more natural way.

The only thing I really find to be a negative with my model (the original Surface) is the general thickness and weight. But I'd probably have more of an issue with that if I were using it for entertainment - since I use it for work, this hasn't been such an issue (I was able to replace my heavier work laptop, for example).

• Reply 273 of 288

HeHe fair enough, first I didn't want to post a puff piece on the operation of the pen, brutal honesty man, all tech has it's problems though, my iPad frustrates me all the time to the point where I want to throw it out the window, why Apple, why can't I run more then one music app at a funky time.

Yes... at the moment the iPad has it's constraints. Apple isn't trying to position it (yet) to be able to take the place of a laptop. Only Microsoft is trying to shoehorn a tablet and a desktop into one device. So yes, then you would naturally try to push it into both of those realms. Pushing an iPad for things it's not envisioned to do, even by forward thinking devs and users, is just icing on the cake. Microsoft is supposedly giving you the whole cake, but the "Just Works icing" is missing.
    That being said though the pen back button problem he had in the beginning has been fixed about 2 updates ago, it really does work now, honestly

I hate to hit you up on that point.... but darn if we haven't heard that so many times before. I believe you, because Microsoft always does hit that "stable point" in all of their releases at some point in time. It then remains a guess: who's going to be the first to verify the claims? My clients nor I have the time to do the beta-testing, wait for bug fixes, or enjoy discovering anymore. Everyone needs to be at their absolute most productive every single working hour of every day. Sad fact of the times we live in.

If we can relax with an iPad, maybe do some light arm-chair correspondence, catch up on an ever growing RSS reading list, peruse/markup a PDF, "like" some FB posts, and maybe record some annotation notes, reminders or links in Evernote... we're tickled for that repose from our desks, until we have to get back too them. Then we want POWER... and as much of it as we can afford. No tricks, no touch, no bumps in the road or workarounds... just power to get thru the work.
    What would frustrate you, he's using desktop apps, not tablet, I think it's great. Though personally, I only use the pen to sketch my ideas, write musical notes and of course of notes, especially recipes and grocery lists, I never use the character recognition. Rest of the time my Surface 3 is used as a music production system and for that it's brilliant, thing was made to run Ableton Live. 

As I said in my original reply... I'm happy that you're happy and finding ways to make this an incredible investment for you. All I can say is that there was nothing that you wrote that I can't take advantage of now on an iPad, other than this magical Notes program (I use and recommend Evernote). Whether with my finger, voice, or the keyboard... which I'm rather adept at using. Speaking of the keyboard, which will only get better now with iOS8, extensions and 3rd party keyboards. As will other things like Continuity and cross iOS-OSX AirDrop (finally). Just those improvements alone will make doing things across devices and using the right one for the job, that much easier and efficient.
    If I get out this hell I'm currently in I want to buy a 27" touch display for my Surface 3 to extend the desktop, I love touch interfaces and I seriously won't buy another laptop unless it has one.

Well I'm pulling for you too... forget the the 27"... get the funk outa there!
    Doc, I honestly think you would like the Surface 3, I really do.

Actually I do too.. for myself as well as some of my clients. Just not now. IMHO, Microsoft will hit it's stride next summer after the first Windows 9 service pack. Just like they've done since their inception: every odd numbered version is stable, and the even numbered versions are flawed, experimental "colts" that need time to grow into reliable "race horses".

Note: if you recall, I jumped on the Windows phone, a Nokia 920 for one of my clients a year ago. I've never been so embarrassed in my life for making that recommendation. Wrong timing I'm sure. Regardless... I caught a lot of flak here from other connected business people for not going with the "tried and true" WORKING iPhone, iPad, MBP combo. I was asked point blank, "what gave you the impression that I have time to be your guinea pig?". The fault surely was mine for not giving it a serious spin personally, rather than relying on reviews about how great it was and how it reliably tied into a MS-centric small business. Surely then you can understand my skepticism for, "...honestly... it works now!" statements.

Background note: I started integrating WinNT4 data and print servers back in the 90's for my printing/ad agency clients, and used self built WinBoxes as servers up until 2006 (Server 2003). From that time on we've mostly used expandable NAS and RAID servers from different companies, incl. Drobo, QNAP and Synology... and plain old daisy-chained Firewire drives. Currently, still waiting for the prices to come down for TB rollouts, and then using BackBlaze and/or BitTorrentSync for backups.

I don't "hate" Windows, and can use it and make it work for "me" and others... if I must. Surely not as well as you can, but then isn't that what this comes down to? You have to be a nerd and technologically "fit" as we say, before you should get on that train. For the "Average Joe" I can no longer recommend Windows anything, unless they have a reliable techie in the hand. Short and to the point: Windows is for gamers and enterprise... and that's it. I personally can't recommend it any longer, whether for small business* or simple consumers.

* Normally less than 10 people, and if specialty software is needed, a minimized Windows (Winimized) installed in Parallels and Coherence mode does the trick. it works... and the client is working productively. That's what it's all about.
    There must be a place where you could buy, try it for a few days, then return it. Even if you hate the idea, it's still fun trying out new things. Luv yea!

Oh I will... next summer "possibly" with Windows 9.1. No time at the moment for any more "fun" than getting everyone ready for iOS8 and Yosemite. Also, don't forget... iOS and OSX will be in full-production mode by next Spring/Summer. AFAIC... Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do... which is an under-statement if there ever was one!

Cyber hugs, kisses... and a sincere "Get well SOON dammit!"
  • Reply 274 of 288
    Yes... at the moment the iPad has it's constraints. Apple isn't trying to position it (yet) to be able to take the place of a laptop. Only Microsoft is trying to shoehorn a tablet and a desktop into one device. So yes, then you would naturally try to push it into both of those realms. Pushing an iPad for things it's not envisioned to do, even by forward thinking devs and users, is just icing on the cake. Microsoft is supposedly giving you the whole cake, but the "Just Works icing" is missing.

Ooh, that is sooooo spot on! IMO, of course.
    Well I'm pulling for you too... forget the the 27"... get the funk outa there!

Cyber hugs, kisses... and a sincere "Get well SOON dammit!"

QFT. Really Relic, sending all cyber hugs to you and your loved ones. I sooooo hope all will come to a good end, with just a nasty memory of something that happened 'a while back' and we can all enjoy your great posts, the intertwining of tech knowledge with experience and one heck of a double freak humor which is a freezer-burn compared to cool.

In short, get well soon.
  • Reply 275 of 288
    Wow, I've never heard of that before, a locked background image, who in their right mind does that, how tacky. That would defiantly piss me off, it's almost as bad as those damn stickers that Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc. put on new computers, especially notebooks, I friggen hate that with a absolute fiery passion.

1) Will that icon spacing mod require admin privs?

2) There's always MS Signature program. No stickers. No malware:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?SiteID=msusa&Locale=en_US&Action=ContentTheme&pbPage=MicrosoftSignature&ThemeID=33363200
  • Reply 276 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Will that icon spacing mod require admin privs?

2) There's always MS Signature program. No stickers. No malware:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?SiteID=msusa&Locale=en_US&Action=ContentTheme&pbPage=MicrosoftSignature&ThemeID=33363200

It should work without admin. The Surface doesn't have any stickers so its not a problem, just desktops.

• Reply 277 of 288
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Lighter Than Air is a really good ad slogan.

• Reply 278 of 288
    crowley wrote: »
    Lighter Than Air is a really good ad slogan.

If by good, you mean inaccurate, then yes.
  • Reply 279 of 288
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If by good, you mean inaccurate, then yes.

The MacBook Air 11" weighs in at 2.38 lbs and the Surface 3 is 1.75 lbs, when the keyboard is connected then yes, it's heavier as it then weighs 2.4 lbs, but in a sense the slogan could work. 

• Reply 280 of 288
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The MacBook Air 11 weighs in at 2.38 lbs and the Surface 3 is 1.75 lbs...

But it’s a tablet, sold as a tablet. It’s heavier than the Air.