Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 441 of 757
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,528member
    Bow wow, you, too, little doggie.

Now that was an insulting post.
  • Reply 442 of 757
    I don't feel that everyone in the world is wrong to use BC and AD; I think they are right, as I stated in my previous post. 

I do agree with you, though, that it is, indeed, very self-serving of people who don't use the Christian terminology..

It's also self serving for those who do.

It's a calender. It shouldn't have to be constantly thought of as a religious reference.
  • Reply 443 of 757
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member

PC crap... You'd think if *anyone* would resist "PC stuff" it would be Apple! :-)

btw- I notice he's not worried about diversity among the people who assemble Apple products :-)

• Reply 444 of 757
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's not self-serving but generalized terminology. 

What’s ungeneralized about BC and AD? Everyone who would use BCE and CE already uses them.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

...refer to 2014 as 2014.

“Today is Thursday, August fourteen, two thousand fourteen.”

I HATE YOU PEOPLE SO MUCH. MEANING NEWSCASTERS, MAINLY. IT’S TWENTY FOURTEEN. TWENTY FOURTEEN. THE TITANIC DIDN’T SINK IN ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED TWELVE. THE CIVIL WAR DIDN’T START IN ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE. 

You had your fun little period where you could say “two thousand” and then a number. IT’S OVER. GO BACK TO NORMAL.

In before North America/America argument.

• Reply 445 of 757
    sog35 wrote: »
    Easter is littered with Pagan rituals. Straight from the Catholic Encyclopedia

http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Easter

Bunny rabbit? eggs?

<h5>3. The Easter Rabbit</h5>

...lays the eggs, for which reason they are hidden in a nest or in the garden. The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility (Simrock, Mythologie, 551).

<h5>2. Easter Eggs</h5>

The custom may have its origin in paganism, for a great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring,

Easter candy isn’t Christian. The Easter bunny isn’t Christian. Easter eggs aren’t Christian. Most of what people commonly associate with Easter is pagan in origin; the rest is commercial.

I wanted to finish reading the thread before bringing that up. But as you did already...

Much of Christianity is based in paganism. Even the concept of the Trinity was a sop to the pagans of the time. When early Christians were battling Mithralism for the top slot, it wasn't the appeal of Christianity that caused them to win, but the secrecy of Mithralism that caused them to lose. Christians took their major holidays from the ancient pagan holidays of planting and harvesting seasons, and moved Christs birth and death to match what was already being celebrated. Of course, as no one actually knows when Christ was born, it was made that much easier.

They've done this in Africa, and other places in a way as well. Getting pagans to be able to take their own holidays and celebrate them at the same time is great politics. After some generations, those people will forget the original reason for celebrating.
  • Reply 446 of 757
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That's a completely didn't conversation that, in no way, has to do with books of prayer or closet zealots. It was simply about neutral terms for a global standard. If you'd like another example of universal standards, I think the US should finally get on board with the metric system.

Regarding the metric system (to get away from the religious arguing for a short time), Congress passed a bill encouraging companies and school systems to move to the metric system as fast as possible, so to encourage acceptance of American goods and the understanding, and use of the metric system in daily life.

When did this happen? In 1866!
  • Reply 447 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What’s ungeneralized about BC and AD? Everyone who would use BCE and CE already uses them.

And you're against universal standards, why? Are you also against universal web standards or would you say that we're better off just having MS do its own thing with IE? Personally I think the standards make society more efficient, even if some have a problem with change.
    “Today is Thursday, August fourteen, two thousand fourteen.”

I HATE YOU PEOPLE SO MUCH. MEANING NEWSCASTERS, MAINLY. IT’S TWENTY FOURTEEN. TWENTY FOURTEEN. THE TITANIC DIDN’T SINK IN ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED TWELVE. THE CIVIL WAR DIDN’T START IN ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE. 

You had your fun little period where you could say “two thousand” and then a number. IT’S OVER. GO BACK TO NORMAL.

It's all correct. It just depends on the import (or desired import) for what you are speaking.
  • Reply 448 of 757
    fred1 wrote: »
    Sure, and so is Christmas (Santa Claus, Christmas trees), but those are not the Christian-faith based observances.  While it's true that the dates of Christmas and Easter were deliberately fixed to coincide with and, it was hoped, cover up the pagan rituals, it doesn't detract from their true meaning, the birth of Christ and the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.  
    Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!  

It's just that Christians try hard to conceal the meaning of the holiday so as to have everyone celebrate it. They've always done that. It shouldn't be called by the rather neutral sounding name of Christmas, but rather do it boldly, and call it what it is; Christ's Mass.
  • Reply 449 of 757
    melgross wrote: »
    Regarding the metric system (to get away from the religious arguing for a short time), Congress passed a bill encouraging companies and school systems to move to the metric system as fast as possible, so to encourage acceptance of American goods and the understanding, and use of the metric system in daily life.

When did this happen? In 1866!

I know it was drilled into me all through elementary school that the U.S. would soon be metric. I assume that has been going on since the 19th century and is still going on today.

Oddly, we seem to spend a lot more time being told that than actually putting it in practice. I would argue this is part of the problem creating scientists in the US because it's an extra hurdle that could turn off many a young mind.
  • Reply 450 of 757
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I'm not assuming anything about you. On the other hand, your saying that doesn't give me pause to think you are not a white male either.

I am white. But not American white. Here's a heretical idea - in terms of economic and cultural dominance there is no such thing as "white privilege" unless you think all Europeans have the same culture and that it is world dominant.

An intelligent alien would see Anerican culture it's producers and participants, regardless of race, as hegemonic.

I notice once again you failed to deal with my critique, that while these tests are no doubt true they are also limited to race, not class , nationality, region, accent etc.
  • Reply 451 of 757
    To get back to what the article, and the thread was SUPPOSED to be about, there is this.

http://pxlnv.com/blog/tech-company-diversity-stats/

Some of you might have seen the link to that in today's Daring Fireball.

So, actually, when compared to other tech companies, though this is limited to software companies, so not entirely comparable, Apple comes out pretty well.
  • Reply 452 of 757

And you're against universal standards, why?

Replacing a universal standard with a universal standard isn’t exactly productive.

It's all correct.

I’m gonna start calling it the iPhone Fifessssss. Enjoy!

• Reply 453 of 757
    Replacing a universal standard with a universal standard isn’t exactly productive.

It's also just a renaming of an calendar and epoch based on the supposed birth of Christ with one which is based on the same demarcation but changes the initialisms.

If it needed to be done the French Revolution did it properly.
  • Reply 454 of 757

iPhone 9!
  • Reply 455 of 757
    asdasd wrote: »
    I am white. But not American white. Here's a heretical idea - in terms of economic and cultural dominance there is no such thing as "white privilege" unless you think all Europeans have the same culture and that it is world dominant.

An intelligent alien would see Anerican culture it's producers and participants, regardless of race, as hegemonic.

I notice once again you failed to deal with my critique, that while these tests are no doubt true they are also limited to race, not class , nationality, region, accent etc.

Not exactly. But here in the USA, to say that money, power and political dominance isn't white male based would be naive. Going by today's demographics, even if there was no prejudice whatsoever, that would be true.

Even in 2050, when it's expected that 50% of the people in the USA are expected to be of Hispanic heritage, it will still be true. And, in fact, most Hispanics put "white" down as their racial type, when they fill that in.

As far as European culture goes, we are still talking about white racial types. And, well, around most of the world, Western Euro/American culture has had, and still does have, a major impact. English is effectively, the most spoken language, with many countries, including China, requiring it as a second language in school. Knowing, and using a language, has been shown to influence the way people think in that language. It may be subtle, but it's there.

Modern American music has a major impact everywhere, as has classical European music. It's driven much of local music into small, almost historical nodes.

The same thing with literature, and dress. Architecture has been affected as well.
  • Reply 456 of 757
    what can you expect from a gay CEO..
  • Reply 457 of 757

That would make sense if the entire world were Christians. The beauty of the compromise is there is no date shift and the mistral nomenclature can still be asserted by those of weak religious fortitude that want to make it only about them.

That makes even less sense.
  • Reply 458 of 757
    gimarbazat wrote: »
    what can you expect from a gay CEO..

Probably a lot more than we can expect from bigots.
  • Reply 459 of 757
    Not exactly. But here in the USA, to say that money, power and political dominance isn't white male based would be naive. Going by today's demographics, even if there was no prejudice whatsoever, that would be true.

Even in 2050, when it's expected that 50% of the people in the USA are expected to be of Hispanic heritage, it will still be true. And, in fact, most Hispanics put "white" down as their racial type, when they fill that in.

As far as European culture goes, we are still talking about white racial types. And, well, around most of the world, Western Euro/American culture has had, and still does have, a major impact. English is effectively, the most spoken language, with many countries, including China, requiring it as a second language in school. Knowing, and using a language, has been shown to influence the way people think in that language. It may be subtle, but it's there.

Modern American music has a major impact everywhere, as has classical European music. It's driven much of local music into small, almost historical nodes.

The same thing with literature, and dress. Architecture has been affected as well.

Well we segued from the present into the past there and you brought up one European country. In terms of major colonialism only about 7 European countries had major empires, and some have been colonised by the Turks, Russians and other Europeans. Including the internal English empire that was the UK ( and previous Kingdoms).

I don't buy that someone from the Hebrides is part of a dominant global white culture, he isn't even dominant culturally where he resides.

It's interesting that in American racial categorizations one of the major European colonial groups gets a bye, and benefits from some affirmative action in the US, if they are descendents of the Spanish or Portugeuse conquistadores in whole or in part. Hence my opposition to the term "Hispanic" whites. Just call them whites.

But that's all off topic so I'll stop now.
  • Reply 460 of 757
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If it needed to be done the French Revolution did it properly.

That’s a... I’m going to ignore what you’re saying here to just comment that the logical structure behind it is really interesting. I’ve never looked at something that way before.

That would make sense if the entire world were Christians. The beauty of the compromise is there is no date shift and the mistral nomenclature can still be asserted by those of weak religious fortitude that want to make it only about them.

It just seems uselessly lazy to me (or lazily useless?). English speakers don’t whine that the phrase has remained “lingua franca” despite English now never being unthronable as a world language, nor have we tried to impose our own phrase in replacement.

That makes even less sense.

I don’t see why. It’s pronouncing the same thing a different way. If you’ll excuse me, I have some Oh Ess Ecks updates to apply... ;)