Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

1323334353638»

Comments

• Reply 741 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Great, if those people in those countries want to wish me Happy Ramadan (or y'know, whatever they actually say) I'll take it as a positive thing.  But nevertheless, I'm as white as they come, don't look at all like a muslim and I don't observe Ramadan, so it's a bit weird.  If Ramadan happens to be a national holiday (pretty sure it isn't, since it lasts a month, right?) so everyone enjoys the period then I think happy holidays would be more appropriate there too.

Actually that example illustrates an important point. It is considered rude for non-muslims to eat in view of muslims who are fasting during Ramadan. In general other religions are much stricter than Christianity so it is better to be sensitive to their practices when you are aware of them. One on one between two individuals it is usually no big deal and any misunderstanding in greetings is overlooked, but for corporations and the government it is better to be generic about the holiday season in order to be inclusive of all the people not just those of a particular religion. That said, Christmas has already been genericized and commercialized to the point that Christians should accept that it is no longer a holy day and learn to live with it. Of course Christmas, technically, never was an actual sacred day according to the bible so there is nothing really to argue about.

• Reply 742 of 757
    mstone wrote: »

...making death threats against strangers over the pettiest of slights, masquerading as bravado.
    I'm very truly sorry about that. I was wondering what part of my comment made you so upset. Actually the part about the cricket bat was not a threat at all. It was stated as "perhaps" and  "if" and "probably" and "years ago" and then a question. I have no reason to threaten you whatsoever. The part of my comment that was a borderline infraction was the first part where I postulated something about your mental state. Again, sorry about that, but by all means keep up the insults against everyone as they are rather entertaining since your are not very good at insults. 

I take your non-apology for what it is.

Your despicable threat is completely unacceptable and you should have been banned for it. You were obviously getting extremely irritated with my stance and decided to throw a googly. Trying to dress it up with ifs and buts does nothing to lessen the nastiness of it. I have certainly been sorely tempted to reply in kind, but my conscience is winning the battle not to so far.

There was nothing borderline about your comment on my mental capacity; that was simply a statement—I have no problem with that.

I probably am very poor at fine-tuning insults, as I don't make a habit of insulting people. I haven't insulted anyone here at AI. I may have made criticisms, but they are generally justified.

I admit that I was being deliberately negative about your description of Panama; it sounds a beautiful place.
  • Reply 743 of 757
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    I haven't insulted anyone here at AI. I may have made criticisms, but they are generally justified.

In just the past three days we've seen these so no need to go back any further. Take a moment to read back thru them and point out which ones were not intended as insults. I suspect you aren't reading your posts before hitting "send" if you think they aren't being perceived as personal attacks by other forum members.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181848/sketchy-report-claims-photos-show-5-5-inch-iphone-6l-display-logic-board-and-2-915mah-battery/40#post_2580514
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181770/microsoft-says-surface-pro-3-more-powerful-flexible-than-macbook-air-in-latest-ads/160#post_2580432
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180509/apples-new-icloud-storage-plans-cheap-for-consumers-even-cheaper-for-developers/160#post_2580350
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181845/apple-highlights-corporate-diversity-with-new-showcase-of-company-vice-presidents#post_2580014
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/600#post_2579888
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/520#post_2579372

I'm noticing a pattern of obsessing over anything mStone or Crowley says too. Perhaps you'd be happier if you just ignored them. Make it easy and imagine that you're the responsible adult who just needs to let it go rather making sure the childish personal attacks continue by responding to everything they say.
  • Reply 744 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

In your world, where people are offended by being greeted with 'Happy Christmas.'

Try again.

Nope, you try again.  I've not mentioned anyone being offended by being greeted with "Happy Christmas".  Not once.  I've been very explicit about the fact that I wasn't talking about any offense, I was talking about inclusiveness.  That you still don't understand the opposing argument after Vishnu knows how many pages is a continual reminder of the fact that you aren't interested in the debate, just in getting a rise.  Mark of a troll.

• Reply 745 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Who in the world doesn't want to have a good morning?

If I’m having a good morning, something has gone wrong.

• Reply 746 of 757
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Then you're a hypocrite for taking the garb of a religious festival in vain. You're also incredibly condescending to children, who can apparently study trigonometry and write symphonies, but whose feeble minds can't cope with understanding 'the meaning of Christmas.'

Blindness, thy name is Post of mstone.

As has been shown above Christmas is seen by many as a secular celebration. This is why I don't think, outside the US, that wishing a merry Christmas in predominantly culturally Christian societies is considered such a taboo. Also these counties have been celebrating Christmas for millennia.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Because some non-Christians celebrate Christmas we have to assume all non-Christians celebrate Christmas? I guess that mean people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day are Mexican-Irish?¡

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

But can't anybody be wished a happy st Patricks day, or us it just us red heads, spud faces and be-freckled?

Still, I am happy with a neutral term like Seasons greetings.

I don't like "happy holidays". Firstly that term , as used in the US, means either a holy day or a publically mandated day off. ( As it happens that latter meaning would include Christmas Day in the US and other Christian and culturally Christian countries). Only Hannakuh would be a holy day in the first meaning around that time; however, as far as I am aware, that's not really a big deal outside the US. British Jews celebrate Christmas precisely because it is seen as a largely secular festival.

Holidays can also mean any time off, or (more commonly) vacation in British and Hiberno English. I would wish a happy holidays to someone travelling to Spain on vacation. It sounds odd to my ears at Christmas unless people are going skiing. In it's other main meaning - as time off whether you travel or not - it could also be clunky and ill judged because not everybody gets time off around Christmas.

So seasons greetings is my neutral choice over here.
  • Reply 747 of 757
    asdasd wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Because some non-Christians celebrate Christmas we have to assume all non-Christians celebrate Christmas? I guess that mean people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day are Mexican-Irish?¡

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

Still, I am happy with a neutral term like Seasons greetings.

So seasons greetings is my neutral choice over here.

You shouldn't be happy with the term 'Season's Greetings'; you should be ashamed of it.

It's a weaselly way of saying 'Happy Christmas.' Spring, summer, autumn and winter are seasons. We don't wish each other a happy autumn.
  • Reply 748 of 757
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Happy Yueltide. Bit more paganistic.
  • Reply 749 of 757

I think we ought to end the thread with this.

It offends everyone equally, which is really what matters. 

• Reply 750 of 757
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If I’m having a good morning, something has gone wrong.

Wow, really, what the heck are you doing at night that makes you so grumpy when you get up. I think you need a hug, lot's and lot's of hugs ........ ........ and kisses, lot's of hug's and kisses. They fix everything or a good wank, okay, lot's of hug's, kisses and a good wank, maybe a nice hot bubble bath, okay, lot's of hug's, kisses, a good wank and a bubble bath, hhhmmm maybe a nice back massage, uuuhhhh, okay lot's of hug's, kisses a good wank, bubble bath and a nice back massage, oooohhh and mayb........ no, no, no, no, shutup, no more, you are the one of the most demanding voices in my head, I rather be miserable, huh, sorry Tallest, your right.

• Reply 751 of 757

You’re a light in the darkness, Relic.

• Reply 752 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’re a light in the darkness, Relic.

Seconded.

A ray of sunshine in this miserable world.

• Reply 753 of 757
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Which can't be [I]copied[/I], even if it was the [I]right[/I] thing to do.
  • Reply 754 of 757
    No-one expects the whole world to acknowledge Christmas. That is just the paranoia that is floating around your head.

Christmas is huge in China. You'd like it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/24/seven-fascinating-facts-about-christmas-in-china/
  • Reply 755 of 757
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Santa playing the sax? I can dig it. That needs to be picked up here.

I’m to understand that in Japan, it’s traditional to go to KFC for Christmas.

• Reply 756 of 757

Santa playing the sax? I can dig it. That needs to be picked up here.

I’m to understand that in Japan, it’s traditional to go to KFC for Christmas.

Someone should encourage them to go to Turkey instead. ????