Apple CEO Tim Cook latest Silicon Valley bigwig to get ice bath for ALS charity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook accepted marketing chief Phil Schiller's call to undertake the "ice bucket challenge" to raise awareness and money for the ALS Association, an activity that quickly gained steam in the U.S. thanks to social media.

Source: Instagram user paige_staple

After completing the challenge himself on Wednesday, Schiller tagged Cook in a Twitter post calling for the Apple CEO to also get doused.

As seen in the screenshot above, taken from a now-removed video by Instagram user "paige_staple," Cook was soaked with a bucket of ice water by musician Michael Franti during a Beer Bash at Apple's Cupertino Campus on Thursday. Cook subsequently challenged Disney CEO Bob Iger, Beats' Dr. Dre and Franti to take the plunge.

The ALS Association kicked off the ice bucket challenge on July 29 and has since seen millions of dollars pour in as company CEOs, celebrities, athletes and the general public joined in the festivities. The wildly popular activity has helped ALSA raise $7.6 million in donations, up from $1.4 million taken in during the same July 29 to Aug. 14 period last year.

According to the "rules," those challenged have 24 hours to either take an ice bath, donate to the charity or, as many people are doing, both.

Anyone can take part in the fun and donations are being accepted through the official ALSA website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

Cue the curmudgeons.

• Reply 2 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder if Cook got on stage and rapped today. We need a video of that! :D

http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/detail/787221429295178939_1968512
  • Reply 3 of 49
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

I know the PR game sadly. Apple and Tim display a level of heartfelt sincerity that I don't believe can be contrived, conceived or planned, unlike Samsung and the self-driving car people and their lovely Eric (who has being dead to me since the sick reference to google  being still run by its founders)

• Reply 4 of 49

Wooooohooooo!  My waiting ends!  I don't care whoever is going to do the ice bath. Wait....Steve Ballmer pending. :)

• Reply 5 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    THE BEATS AQUISITION!!!!!!!!!!11
  • Reply 6 of 49
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Nobody expects the Beats Acquisition.

• Reply 7 of 49
    " wrote:

Originally Posted by mstone

Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?

It's great that this charity is getting lots of money; shame about the method for getting it.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Why it is a shame goes over my head. A film director friend of my Pop's who recently went into 24/7 nursing with ALS, laughed loudly for first time in months when he saw videos. ALS Foundation has raised 7X last years donations in a few weeks. ALS researchers reportedly are getting a second wind of hope. Big names and regular people are having fun, OK for the "deciders of what is proper public conduct or not" it surely CANNOT be fun, and if so, some sniff, it's just downright childish!
    But for the rest of us, pour on. And to my Pop's friend and others afflicted, fight the good fight, people are on it.
    I think I'm good with people having variety of beliefs, but this one stumps me.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    It's great that this charity is getting lots of money; shame about the method for getting it.
    You should get together with TS. He has no sense of humour either.......not sure of the other senses.:rolleyes:
  • Reply 10 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Wooooohooooo!  My waiting ends!  I don't care whoever is going to do the ice bath. Wait....Steve Ballmer pending. :)

I’m waiting for the video of Ballmer giving a pep talk in the Clippers’ locker room.

• Reply 11 of 49
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You should get together with TS. He has no sense of humour either.......not sure of the other senses.image

Lighten up, mellow out, and chillax. 

That’s what the kids say these days, yeah? Chillax? I prefer simply chilling. Winter’s wonderful.

• Reply 12 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I definitely don't get it but I support it. Personally, I'd probably just say, "Here's some money," but I'm also not a CEO of the world's biggest company and, as a result of the times, a celebrity, so if I were in an Apple executive's shoes I may do it if it helped getting more money and awareness for the cause.

Winter’s wonderful.

Doesn't that occur during the Holiday Season? :D
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Doesn't that occur during the Holiday Season? image

'ow DARE you be hemispherist, mate!

• Reply 14 of 49
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Not so much a nice bath as a bucket of water being poured over your head.
  • Reply 15 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

I know the PR game sadly. Apple and Tim display a level of heartfelt sincerity that I don't believe can be contrived, conceived or planned, unlike Samsung and the self-driving car people and their lovely Eric (who has being dead to me since the sick reference to google  being still run by its founders)

So true!

PR has to be planned and Apple with their tick to controll EVERYTHING certainly is planning this too. But they do it insanely smart! It is the right amount, the right "things" and always usint the right channel. It seems so personal and intimate or unplanned, but I'm sure it is. But as with many things in Cupertino, they just have the smartest people doing exactly what they are good at.

Same goes for advertising. Apple would NEVER make fun of other companies' clients. This wall-hugger ad from Samsung... Sure they poke fun at iPhones. But more so at their customers, which is REALLY bad manners. That's why the "Mac / PC guy" commercials were so brilliant. They portraied it in a really lovely way and only the PC guy himself - NOT THE WINDOWS CUSTOMER - would come out a bit goofy. Yet, in a sweet way. This was a classy level I have not seen Microsoft, Samsung or Google playing at.

• Reply 16 of 49
    bluenix wrote: »
    Quote:

So true!
    PR has to be planned and Apple with their tick to controll EVERYTHING certainly is planning this too. But they do it insanely smart! It is the right amount, the right "things" and always usint the right channel. It seems so personal and intimate or unplanned, but I'm sure it is. But as with many things in Cupertino, they just have the smartest people doing exactly what they are good at.

Same goes for advertising. Apple would NEVER make fun of other companies' clients. This wall-hugger ad from Samsung... Sure they poke fun at iPhones. But more so at their customers, which is REALLY bad manners. That's why the "Mac / PC guy" commercials were so brilliant. They portraied it in a really lovely way and only the PC guy himself - NOT THE WINDOWS CUSTOMER - would come out a bit goofy. Yet, in a sweet way. This was a classy level I have not seen Microsoft, Samsung or Google playing at.

So who exactly does the PC guy represent then?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    chandra69 wrote: »

I’m waiting for the video of Ballmer giving a pep talk in the Clippers’ locker room.

Floppers!, Floppers!, Floppers!, Floppers!
  • Reply 18 of 49

A "beer bash" concert at the Apple campus?  If only I had better grades when I was a senior applying for computer engineering jobs...   

• Reply 19 of 49
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

So who exactly does the PC guy represent then?

And the people in Apple's "Lemmings" commercial?

• Reply 20 of 49
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I definitely don't get it but I support it. Personally, I'd probably just say, "Here's some money," but I'm also not a CEO of the world's biggest company and, as a result of the times, a celebrity, so if I were in an Apple executive's shoes I may do it if it helped getting more money and awareness for the cause.

Doesn't that occur during the Holiday Season? image

What's not to get?  The silliness is making people talk about it (whether they love it or hate it) which is the goal of every advertising campaign.  The people that are contributing funds and then also going under the bucket understand the power of making a spectacle of yourself (but in this case, not in a pathetic way) and issuing challenges to do the same.  And it's working.  

So again... what's not to get?

Thompson