Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    This is a good move by Samsung. They are co-oping a current trend in a positive way to make their point and donate to charity. Win-win.

Now, in reponse we need a water-proof phone case maker like LifeProof or OtterBox to respond. The response could show all the phones Samsung called out that they make covers for, not just Apple. It would be especially cool if they got all the phones to talk in sync, each in it's own voice. Have them call out the telecom industry, because who wouldn't like to see those guys soaked for once, instead of soaking us.
  • Reply 22 of 163
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I think it's a clever spot and a worthy charity. Nothing wrong with a little good natured competition. Hopefully Apple can think of a clever way to respond.
    Although I think Samsung make rubbish I have to agree with you, given the high profile Apple execs being iced I think it is a really clever and humorous ad.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Last winter I dropped my iPhone 5 in ice-cold water while wade-fishing a river. The phone stayed submerged under water until I was able to get back up on my feet and pull it out by the lanyard. The total time it was submerged was about 10 seconds.

Once I got out, I turned the phone off until I got home. Today, I'm using that same iPhone with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I did not have to take it for repair or anything. I might've been lucky, but I would do that ice-bucket challenge on my iPhone any day and not worry.
  • Reply 24 of 163
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

When was the last time Samsung donated to charity?

Wait, I thought bad advertising agencies are like a charity? No?

Seriously though, this is low. Plus I bet you could put an iPhone through a bucket dump and it would be fine.

• Reply 25 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I actually think it's quite funny.

Hope they did make a donation as well though, for piggybacking on the cause.

This. It's a pretty brilliant idea, IMO, but for sullying what has been a charity event, they should at the very least donate a lot of money.

• Reply 26 of 163
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    I was probably the first person to drop an iPhone in the toilet...before they offered AppleCare... But early enough that Amex paid for a new one.

Pulled the phone out and it was still on. Tried to turn it off but couldn't swipe the wet screen. Phone died in my hand and I may have wept a little.

Dropped another one in a pitcher of beer. Dead immediately.

Waterproof would be a nice feature.
  • Reply 27 of 163
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why don't you just Google it?

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/life-at-samsung/corporate-responsibility.asp

I did and if what's listed is all they do, I'm not impressed at all.

Habitat for Humanity: only $100K/yr and 300 hours. For a company the size of Samsung Mobile this isn't even pocket change

North Texas Food Bank: is this only for a US Samsung site?

Susan B. Komen for a Cure: only way to wear jeans to work is if they donate $5/day or $20/week

Carter BloodCare: don't say if they actually donate blood, just how it works

Rady Children's Hospital golf tournament: enough said

Toys for Tots: again only mention what this is, not how much is donated.

"If you're looking to work for a company that values you and your potential and one that is committed to having a positive impact on the world, Samsung is the place for you." I don't see this extremely limited list of charitable organizations proof this company is committed to much of anything.

One Apple contribution puts all of Samsung Telecom's list to shame, "The (Product) RED contributions by Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) have reached $70 million." Of course this is cumulative but break it down from the beginning 8 years ago and it averages almost $10M/year.

http://pulse2.com/2014/04/06/apple-inc-aapl-red-charity-contributions-hit-70m-107195/

• Reply 28 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I was probably the first person to drop an iPhone in the toilet...before they offered AppleCare... But early enough that Amex paid for a new one.

Pulled the phone out and it was still on. Tried to turn it off but couldn't swipe the wet screen. Phone died in my hand and I may have wept a little.

So you dropped your phone in a pitcher of beer and a toilet?  Luckily, I don't ever have to worry about either of those.  It's odd you do...

• Reply 29 of 163
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

You don't use the toilet?

• Reply 30 of 163
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So you dropped your phone in a pitcher of beer and a toilet?  Luckily, I don't ever have to worry about either of those.  It's odd you do...

Hopefully in that order.....

• Reply 31 of 163
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I think this was a clever move by Samsung.  Weatherproof/waterproof is a nice feature.  While an iPhone 5s might "survive" this challenge (and would almost certainly survive after drying out*) there is no way Apple would show an iPhone 5s being dunked because it's not designed to do so.  So good for Samsung for highlighting one legitimate edge one of their phones have over the iPhone.

*my boss's iPhone 5s died after being included in a load a laundry.  After spending a few days in a jar of rice, it's working again.

• Reply 32 of 163
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

Maybe Samsung should waterproof their washing machines first, I hear they flooding homes and doing nothing about it.

I don't have a Samsung phone. I hate my samsung DVD player. My Samsung front loading Washer and Dryer are the best I have ever owned.

• Reply 33 of 163
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Most people don't need it, but I don't have anything against Apple offering a waterproof option for drunks and other careless people, as long as that phone costs more.

Normal people should not subsidize drunks and careless people.

Dropping your phone in toilets and pitchers of beer? I can't say that that is a problem that I ever have to worry about.

• Reply 34 of 163
    Tim must have inspired Samsung.
  • Reply 35 of 163

As for this latest low taste and shameful move by Samscum. They don't give a shit about that charity at all. It's merely another opportunity for them to bash Apple. Their phones are complete crap, and all Samsung can do is to talk crap about Apple.

I remember reading an article recently about how somebody lost their iPhone in a huge silo, and it ended up going half way across the planet, and when the owner got it back, it still worked fine.

TULSA, Okla. –  An Oklahoma farmer's iPhone that was lost when it fell into a grain elevator has been returned to him unscathed after it was found in Japan.

Oklahoma farmer loses iPhone in grain silo, returned nearly 8 months and trip to Japan later

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/08/oklahoma-farmer-loses-iphone-in-grain-silo-returned-nearly-8-months-and-trip-to/

• Reply 36 of 163
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Most people don't need it, but I don't have anything against Apple offering a waterproof option for drunks and other careless people, as long as that phone costs more.

Normal people should not subsidize drunks and careless people.

Dropping your phone in toilets and pitchers of beer? I can't say that that is a problem that I ever have to worry about.

No need to be a prick, accidents happen to everyone.

I don't use the Stocks app, so I don't see why I should subsidise the development of apps for city boys*.

* I actually use a different stocks app, but I'm making a point here.

• Reply 37 of 163

Even if their phones are shit-proof, I would never buy anything with Samsung name on it .... 

• Reply 38 of 163
    customtb wrote: »

Oh my God you need to be more careful with your electronics i'm sorry but that is just a careless thing to do, and you drop your phone into a picture of what beer wow luckily I don't drink so I don't have to worry about the beer. I'm sorry but for a $700 piece of hardware people should be more careful. Whether it's waterproof or not, and seriously old tale of dropping your phone in the toilet well I don't have to worry about that either because I don't use my phone in the bathroom. That sounds like something only drunk/clumsy people would do.
  • Reply 39 of 163
    Oh my God you need to be more careful with your electronics i'm sorry but that is just a careless thing to do, and you drop your phone into a picture of what beer wow luckily I don't drink so I don't have to worry about the beer. I'm sorry but for a $700 piece of hardware people should be more careful. Whether it's waterproof or not, and seriously old tale of dropping your phone in the toilet well I don't have to worry about that either because I don't use my phone in the bathroom. That sounds like something only drunk/clumsy people would do.
    I meant pitcher damn you autocorrect lol
  • Reply 40 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No need to be a prick, accidents happen to everyone.

No, certain people are more accident prone than others.

It's like with car insurance. Some people have never gotten into any accidents, while other drivers are more accident prone, and they should rightfully pay more for their insurance.

So if people wish to go around dropping their phones everywhere, then that is their problem, and they should obviously be responsible for their actions.