Document claims to detail 'Phosphorus,' a mysterious chip for Apple's 'iPhone 6' [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I see as much likelihood of that happening as of Samsung bringing out one phone model per year.

What part? You don't think there will ever be a sustainable and popular wearables market? You don't think there will ever be sub-dermal CE?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    one thing is for sure: there will be a shortage, causing manufacturing delays….
  • Reply 23 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I see as much likelihood of that happening as of Samsung bringing out one phone model per year.

What part? You don't think there will ever be a sustainable and popular wearables market? You don't think there will ever be sub-dermal CE?

There was only one part to your post—suggesting that Apple would try and encourage people to buy multiple Apple watches. Apple's philosophy couldn't be further removed from that. The great thing about the iPhone is the way in which it makes so many devices redundant. It was the same with the iMac. What you suggest is what I would expect from Microsoft who offered several versions of Windows - Extreme, Gamer, Business, Home, Student etc. Either Apple will design an elegant solution that is also as functional as you could wish for, or it won't.

I am somewhat with you, though, on the struggle of combining those ideals! To my mind, it will be extremely hard to combine style with function. I think you saw that great example from Relic of a mechanical watch with a digital overlay. It looked cool in the vid, but even then I'm not sure of its real-world practicality. I can't imagine any screen on a wrist being large enough to be used with ease, simply due to its size,but if anyone can make it work, Apple can. I'm not sold on the idea of a screen on a bracelet.

The main problem, as I see it, is that in order to have a screen big enough to display data clearly, you have to have a pretty big screen. For women in particular, that will look inelegant.

Yes, I think there is a future for wearables, but in the form of a snazzy watch? Considering Tim Cook's scepticism of the idea of getting people to wear watches, it seems unlikely. I'm more inclined to think it will be a simple strap or something even smaller.

I like your thoughts on the M8. Thing is, the iPhone itself is so useful and is always on the person. If Apple can keep getting it lighter and thinner, then the iPhone pretty well disappears. What do you gain simply by duplicating that functionality in a watch?

Mobile payments might be the big thing. Also, what you pine for—a remote security device for your other Apple gear; that would certainly be a great reason for an Apple wearable.

If Apple bring out a watch, will we all go "Eureka!"? It's been so long since Apple had a flop, it's hard to imagine them failing. I feel that if Apple bring out a wearable, it will probably be a resounding success, and we will all go, "Of course! That's how it's done. It's all so obvious really!" ????
  • Reply 24 of 58
    There was only one part to your post—suggesting that Apple would try and encourage people to buy multiple Apple watches. Apple's philosophy couldn't be further removed from that. The great thing about the iPhone is the way in which it makes so many devices redundant. It was the same with the iMac. What you suggest is what I would expect from Microsoft who offered several versions of Windows - Extreme, Gamer, Business, Home, Student etc. Either Apple will design an elegant solution that is also as functional as you could wish for, or it won't.

I am somewhat with you, though, on the struggle of combining those ideals! To my mind, it will be extremely hard to combine style with function. I think you saw that great example from Relic of a mechanical watch with a digital overlay. It looked cool in the vid, but even then I'm not sure of its real-world practicality. I can't imagine any screen on a wrist being large enough to be used with ease, simply due to its size,but if anyone can make it work, Apple can. I'm not sold on the idea of a screen on a bracelet.

The main problem, as I see it, is that in order to have a screen big enough to display data clearly, you have to have a pretty big screen. For women in particular, that will look inelegant.

Yes, I think there is a future for wearables, but in the form of a snazzy watch? Considering Tim Cook's scepticism of the idea of getting people to wear watches, it seems unlikely. I'm more inclined to think it will be a simple strap or something even smaller.

I like your thoughts on the M8. Thing is, the iPhone itself is so useful and is always on the person. If Apple can keep getting it lighter and thinner, then the iPhone pretty well disappears. What do you gain simply by duplicating that functionality in a watch?

Mobile payments might be the big thing. Also, what you pine for—a remote security device for your other Apple gear; that would certainly be a great reason for an Apple wearable.

If Apple bring out a watch, will we all go "Eureka!"? It's been so long since Apple had a flop, it's hard to imagine them failing. I feel that if Apple bring out a wearable, it will probably be a resounding success, and we will all go, "Of course! That's how it's done. It's all so obvious really!" ????

1) Ah, I see. That was just spitballing ideas. I was making no predictions about what I think will come.

2) The wrist is simply a great place for wearable electronics. I suspect wearables will be all over but the wrist is first and will continue being used.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    BMP282AC=>BMP280 Series is an atmospheric pressure from Bosch.
    Stop calling it a co-processor.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

'Phosphorus eh? Better keep water well away from that then!

:D

• Reply 27 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'll be very curious to see exactly what Apple does in this space. Right now smart watches seem to be a solution looking for a problem. It's tech companies looking for the next big thing and tech sites/geeks bored and looking for something new to get excited about. Very little concrete information has leaked about what Apple is working on so either it's one of their best kept secrets ever or it's a long way from a product ready for sale.

I totally agree. A classic case in problemeering.

Since we're grasping at ways to hang more expensive tech from humans why hasn't anyone talked about a Smart Tiara?

You want one, I know you do. ;)
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What are the types of things Apple's sensors and health app can do without requiring FDA approval? Is it just a matter of not diagnosing or recommending a specific course of action?

My guess is that any data gathered would be information to the user or the healthcare provider. An example would be recommended dietary or exercise regimen changes etc... any diagnostic action would probably have to be confirmed at the hospital or with an FDA approved device. With the EMR component they appear to be courting, the provider could monitor compliance or recommended a follow up appointment for confirmation of the observed changes. 

• Reply 29 of 58
    published <a href="http://www.weibo.com/p/1001593747501546059722">on Monday</a> through Geek Bar's Weibo account and <a href="http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/iphone-6-leak-phosphorus-chip-data-aggregation-44941/">spotlighted</a> by <em>G for Games</em>.

"... a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider."
  • Reply 30 of 58
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'll be very curious to see exactly what Apple does in this space. Right now smart watches seem to be a solution looking for a problem. It's tech companies looking for the next big thing and tech sites/geeks bored and looking for something new to get excited about.

The problem devices such as the Galaxy Gear seems to address is either:
    1. I'm a gadget geek and need something to impress the other geeks with, or
    2. My Galaxy Note II is too large so I got this portable "second screen" with speakerphone so I don't have to pull out my giant phablet to do basic things smartphones were originally designed to do well, but are now too clumsy at.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    So that's where KDarling ran off to....
  • Reply 32 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So that's where KDarling ran off to....
    ?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see wearables as a market segment I've wasted [heh] a long time for. The wrist is just the first step in intelligent wearables. Eventually I see subnormal implants and even a one-day-pill that monitors your vitals which will send to some wearable which then passes it on to your phone or directly to your private network for data collection. I then see this info being used in the home to give you warning of potential issues. 

I agree that this is may just be the beginning of whole sets of entirely new classes of monitoring sensors.  As they get smaller and cheaper and more capable it's very likely that they will be used for many purposes we haven't even thought of yet.  As horrible (overall) as some of what you're talking about sounds to me personally (subnormal [you meant subdermal, right] and swallow-me monitors [some exist now]), I do think some people will be all over that. I think most of it will be people looking for whiz-bang coolness (geeks impressing geeks), but I can also see specific cases where it could have great utility that I might even consider for short periods of time.

But lets talk about a huge issue with all of these sensors, both body and home.  How do you manage this very, very personal, very, very revealing data?  Let's presume that some level of this kind of monitoring will indeed become commonplace.  Who gets to have access to it, and will there be laws governing its usage and/or sales?  Or will we end up in the same situation we are now with things like location data, where companies are scrambling over each other to know exactly where you are every minute of the day and what you ate last night?  Predicting what you want to buy tomorrow is one thing, predicting when you die is another.  But from a technical standpoint, the only difference is using different sensors.

I think you already know that personally I find all of this vile and reprehensible.  But regardless of what I think, bio sensors start to cross the line into medical data, and that's a market that's highly regulated.  In other words, our society at large cares about this kind of data so much that our lawmakers have seen fit to enact laws to protect said data.  What happens when this data is now being gathered and potentially analyzed by unregulated third parties like Apple or Google or Microsoft or Nike, or any number of tiny new companies that we've never heard of, on behalf of their users.  Unless we figure out secure, reliable methods that let users own and manage their own data without making it available to these third parties, there are some really big decisions that citizens and lawmakers will be faced with over the next few years.

It sounds like these kinds of devices are of interest do you.  What are your concerns about the uses of that data by third parties intermediates?

• Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

?

I remember KDarling posting here quite frequently a few months ago and then suddenly vanished. It seems he was one of the people who identified the chip as a barometric pressure sensor.

• Reply 35 of 58
    blah64 wrote: »
    What are your concerns about the uses of that data by third parties intermediates?

I always have concerns but some basic biometrics being recorded by an Apple device that then gets stored in your iPhone's Health app and synced with iCloud that could be compromised and used in nefarious was is very, very far down on my list of worrisome things in the world.

I think this sort data will be very useful in understanding our personal health and habits better, as well as understanding society's traits and habits. Just yesterday Jawbone scratched the surface...
  • Reply 36 of 58

I remember KDarling posting here quite frequently a few months ago and then suddenly vanished. It seems he was one of the people who identified the chip as a barometric pressure sensor.

Ah, ok. IMHO it was the AI forum's loss...
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, ok. IMHO it was the AI forum's loss...

I would tend to agree. I think I had some disagreements with him but he was generally pretty knowledgeable. I think Eric The Half Bee was the one who was arguing with him the most if memory serves.

• Reply 38 of 58

I would tend to agree. I think I had some disagreements with him but he was generally pretty knowledgeable. I think Eric The Half Bee was the one who was arguing with him the most if memory serves.

You have an accurate memory. As I said, forums loss IMO
  • Reply 39 of 58

Applications of BMP280 chip:

• Enhancement of GPS navigation (e.g. time-to-first-fix improvement, dead-reckoning, slope detection)

• Indoor navigation (floor detection, elevator detection)

• Outdoor navigation, leisure and sports applications

• Weather forecast

• Health care applications (e.g. spirometry)

• Vertical velocity indication (e.g. rise/sink speed)

• Reply 40 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) The wrist is simply a great place for wearable electronics. I suspect wearables will be all over but the wrist is first and will continue being used.

How about a smart-shirt?
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/ralph-lauren-tech-polo-shirt/#continued