Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I read about him leaving AnandTech yesterday, which will still be profitable for him, but I wasn't expecting him to be hired by Apple.
    I have never been a big fan of Anandtech, but there is no denying that this guy is smart and a good communicator. It will be interesting to see what he ends up doing.
    2) He's been taking crap from "true" AnandTech readers for years ever since he decided to use and report on his first Apple product. Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

Unfortunately all web sites attract people with no sense of reality.
  • Reply 42 of 117

Coming at it from another angle, Anand commanded considerable respect and credibility from the tech community, which is why his reviews of Apple products carried far more weight than those from just about anyone else. Unlike someone with an up front pro-Apple bias like Dilger, Anand's praise of the iPhone 5s and A7 SoC could not be readily dismissed. And that's what made fandroid heads explode -- they had no rebuttal (other than ad hominem attacks and outright lies) when Anand pointed out just how far ahead of the curve Apple has become. He was also the journalist that confirmed how Android OEMs try to game the benchmark tests.

I was looking forward to his review of the iPhone 6, as well as any wearables that might be announced on Sept. 9. His review of the 5s was key to my choosing that model over the 5c. More so than any other review, it took a thorough and objective approach with a minimum of irrelevant asides thrown in. Whereas other reviewers take a lazy approach, and just parrot a bunch of bullet points (without necessarily understanding what anything means), Anand actually did the legwork of testing and digging into the technical details (because he actually knows what they mean).

It will be interesting to see what role Anand takes at Apple. Perhaps he will be involved in shaping Apple's technical message. Even though his writing is highly technical, he also communicates the advantages and disadvantages very well. However, he also came up with novel ways of testing different products, so I could also see him involved in R&D or product development.

My only misgiving is that we won't see his review of the upcoming products that Apple is about to launch.

• Reply 43 of 117
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    jobs' vision of quality isn't what the RDF refers to. the RDF refers to his ability to get engineers to agree to do things they didn't think they could do...and then do them.

No suggested that the Reality Distortion Field refers to anything other than Steve Jobs' "ability to get engineers to agree to do things they didn't think they could do... and then do them."
  • Reply 44 of 117
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member

I read Anand's good-bye just by coincidence when he had just posted it. Normally I check the site once a day but not really every day esp on weekends.

But what struck me is that he said he'll assist AT with any questions and problems that they may encounter, as long as no confidential information was shared.

When I read it it wasn't making much sense - AT is a site that writes news, and I guess that while there me be occasions where they know things that are confidential and have to withhold, the majority of their work is to write about things that are not confidential otherwise they can't write about it.

Now with him going to Apple, it makes perfect sense - the sentence was always meant to protect him from AT. Itches me to see whether he'll show up on 9th and what his job will be.

• Reply 45 of 117
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's not just me. You are the odd one out here.

The majority of comments have been positive to this hiring, and not just on this site.

I'm asking about your unbridled excitement about this, and asking for specific reasons why. in fact, I'd also like to know what other hires you're unhappy about and why.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    1) I read about him leaving AnandTech yesterday, which will still be profitable for him, but I wasn't expecting him to be hired by Apple.

2) He's been taking crap from "true" AnandTech readers for years ever since he decided to use and report on his first Apple product. Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

Don't worry. DailyTech keeps up the anti-Apple rhetoric for their readership.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    No suggested that the Reality Distortion Field refers to anything other than Steve Jobs' "ability to get engineers to agree to do things they didn't think they could do... and then do them."

"Anand is one of a handful of people who could, I believe, ensure Apple maintains Steve Jobs' vision of a quality user experience or the "reality distortion field."

right there it sounds like you're equating jobs' vision of equality to the RDF. either way, I don't understand what a tech writer's addition to apple has to do with one extraordinary leader's unique charisma and power of will. the conclusion is unclear.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    krawall wrote: »
    I read Anand's good-bye just by coincidence when he had just posted it. Normally I check the site once a day but not really every day esp on weekends.

But what struck me is that he said he'll assist AT with any questions and problems that they may encounter, as long as no confidential information was shared.

When I read it it wasn't making much sense - AT is a site that writes news, and I guess that while there me be occasions where they know things that are confidential and have to withhold, the majority of their work is to write about things that are not confidential otherwise they can't write about it.

Now with him going to Apple, it makes perfect sense - the sentence was always meant to protect him from AT. Itches me to see whether he'll show up on 9th and what his job will be.

Keep in mind that AnandTech has been getting pre-release products for many years, not just reviewing them after they can buy them in the stores like us plebs.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

I'm asking about your unbridled excitement about this, and asking for specific reasons why. in fact, I'd also like to know what other hires you're unhappy about and why.

Anandtech has the best and most in depth reviews around. If you don't see how Apple hiring the extremely knowledgable guy who is very well respected in tech circles and the guy who founded that site is a good thing, then I can't help you further. This announcement also took everybody by surprise, because nobody was expecting it. Either way, it's a positive thing for Apple. 

As for Apple's other hires and rumored hires, I have no further comment, besides what I have written on that subject in the past on this forum.

• Reply 50 of 117
    ... and the guy who founded that site...

At 14 years old! He's 32 now.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    It's not just me. You are the odd one out here.

The majority of comments have been positive to this hiring, and not just on this site.
    I'm honestly not sure what role Anand would play at Apple but the guy knows his stuff so I'm assuming the postives of this hire are going to be multi-fold.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At 14 years old! He's 32 now.

Yeah, I read that too. I didn't realize that he was so young.

• Reply 53 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm honestly not sure what role Anand would play at Apple but the guy knows his stuff so I'm assuming the postives of this hire are going to be multi-fold.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what his official position at Apple will be. I have no idea of course, but I don't think that it's just a PR role, but we shall find out soon enough.

• Reply 54 of 117
    I wouldn't call most of them Fandroids, but rather those that simply hate for which Apple stands. Anand has a lot more readers since the first time reviewed an Apple product so the percentage of anti-Apple bashing has decreased but there are still plenty of haters. With his farewell article there are over 300 comments with several saying how Anand is great except for reviewing or using Apple products, or up until he starting doing so… as if he can't be a fan of multiple products and companies.

True. Most of Anandtech regulars and forum denizens are old school PC guys, BYOPC fans, and benchmark and spec worshippers. To them, Macs represent over-priced closed boxes that favor "form over function."
  • Reply 55 of 117
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

True. Most of Anandtech regulars and forum denizens are old school PC guys, BYOPC fans, and benchmark and spec worshippers. To them, Macs represent over-priced closed boxes that favor "form over function."

Yep, that pretty much sums it up perfectly.

• Reply 56 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'd be OK with that if they came at it from the position of Apple doesn't offer me what I want/need in a desktop PC or I really love to build my own machine, but they never acknowledge the design and engineering, and oddly rally against notebooks, smartphones, and tablets as if they really have any control there as a DIYer.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    Keep in mind that AnandTech has been getting pre-release products for many years, not just reviewing them after they can buy them in the stores like us plebs.

Many years? Nope, just the last iPhone & iPad, that's it:

• Reply 58 of 117
    philboogie wrote: »
    Many years? Nope, just the last iPhone & iPad, that's it:

[image]

1) That's just for Apple products, but remember his site deals with a lot of different tech.

2) It's funny to see Gizmodo finally getting some Apple love in 2009 just to **** it up in 2010. They are invited to this next event but I doubt they will be getting pre-release HW to review.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) It's funny to see Gizmodo finally getting some Apple love in 2009 just to **** it up in 2010. They are invited to this next event but I doubt they will be getting pre-release HW to review.

I wonder why the Verge didn't get access to the last iPad Air.

I don't really visit the Verge anymore since they went political and began straying more and more from tech, but I'm still curious as to why.

• Reply 60 of 117
    I wonder why the Verge didn't get access to the last iPad Air.

Most of that image is a head scratcher to me.