Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

NEWSFLASH: this isn't Apple's website. Send your feedback to them on their website.

I hate to break this to you, but it may well be.  Haven't you noticed AI dodging the iCloud hack story all day?

• Reply 82 of 117
    NEWSFLASH: this isn't Apple's website. Send your feedback to them on their website.

I thought he/she was referring to Apple's official web forums, but yeah, as far as making suggestions for "fixing" iTunes (or whatever) it should be sent to Apple's product feedback web submission form, rather than posted on one of their forum pages. I assume he/she is only posting here out of frustration. Something that Tim Cook mentioned at D10: when Apple users don't like something Apple does, they get mad at Apple. But when a Compaq customer is unhappy about Compaq, they would buy from Dell.
  • Reply 83 of 117
    cnocbui wrote: »

I hate to break this to you, but it may well be.  Haven't you noticed AI dodging the iCloud hack story all day?

I think they have their heads stuck up their asses like every day. P.S., as of Monday morning, I noticed Ars Technica hasn't posted about it either, and they cover both tech and internet culture, which is how this "hack" got started (reddit, social media, etc). They may eventually mention it, but I wouldn't take it as a sign of any malfeasance. It is Labor Day in the US, where I think most of the AI writers are.
  • Reply 84 of 117
    I would love to see him put in charge of Apple's support website and forums.

If he is a good public speaker, I would love to see him as the go-to-guy for explaining technical details at keynotes.

Anand is a great writer and communicator and could improve Apple's written communications in press releases, tech support docs and even patent filings.
  • Reply 85 of 117
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Big Anand fan here! Tim Cook sure knows who and how to hire. Wasn't big fan of TC until 2014 but with me his stock is on the rise.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I wonder why the Verge didn't get access to the last iPad Air.

I don't really visit the Verge anymore since they went political and began straying more and more from tech, but I'm still curious as to why.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe because Josh put up a very negative iOS 7 piece 15 minutes after WWDC keynote. Also, Verge became very pro-Google In the past year or so.

Probably for some Samsung-fanboy stunt like this Verge shithead pulled at D11:

It's one thing to ask Tim Cook to give us his point of view, but when you keep imposing your point of view (by asking rhetorically)--even to the point of interrupting while Tim is answering, it stops being journalism.

• Reply 87 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here's a little nostalgia for longtime AnandTech readers and for those that may want to get to know Anand a little better. I can't be sure, but the article below may be his first review of an Apple product back in 2004 when he used a Mac for a month.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.anandtech.com/show/1500/
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 88 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's one thing to ask Tim Cook to give us his point of view, but when you keep imposing your point of view (by asking rhetorically)--even to the point of interrupting while Tim is answering, it stops being journalism.

Tim Cook has been ambushed at every allthingsd he has attended, usually by blatant google fans with no class. I remember one "investor" basically used his question time to say how great google was for all their beta projects, saying Apple's stock price was low because it's not enough like google. The year (or two?) before a google employee tried to (hypocritically) accuse Apple of copying google with iAd, and Tim had a classy retort something along the lines of "I wonder what the FCC would think about that."

As for Anand, I love learning about the technology behind Apple products, I hope he's there to facilitate that. Also, as others have said, he'd be great at managing PR for the tech blog community.

I like how Apple is becoming more open in the Tim Cook era. It's my hunch that Steve felt being too open took away the magic, but I think more openness is a great thing for building excitement, engagement, and combatting FUD.

• Reply 89 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tim Cook has been ambushed at every allthingsd he has attended, usually by blatant google fans with no class. I remember one "investor" basically used his question time to say how great google was for all their beta projects, saying Apple's stock price was low because it's not enough like google. The year (or two?) before a google employee tried to (hypocritically) accuse Apple of copying google with iAd, and Tim had a classy retort something along the lines of "I wonder what the FCC would think about that."

As for Anand, I love learning about the technology behind Apple products, I hope he's there to facilitate that. Also, as others have said, he'd be great at managing PR for the tech blog community.

I like how Apple is becoming more open in the Tim Cook era. It's my hunch that Steve felt being too open took away the magic, but I think more openness is a great thing for building excitement, engagement, and combatting FUD.

There's no point in comparing the Steve Jobs era to the Tim Cook era. 

Different times, different people, different situations. You'll never know whether Steve Jobs would have done a better or a worse job than Tim Cook, so to speculate about it is moot.

• Reply 90 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There's no point in comparing the Steve Jobs era to the Tim Cook era. 

Different times, different people, different situations. You'll never know whether Steve Jobs would have done a better or a worse job than Tim Cook, so to speculate about it is moot.

Well, I agree that speculating about various motivations isn't particularly useful, but it does appear that things are different in some ways since Tim Cook took the reigns, and I feel it's been largely for the better.

BTW, I really like your sig. 

• Reply 91 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I remember those, and it reflects a general anti-Apple worldview that always casts Apple in the wrong, or on the wrong side of any issue (like patents, innovation, competition). It's easy to spot that worldview here in these forums, as well as on other tech forums, where it's particularly virulent (DailyTech for example, or Slashdot).

For these people, there's no "rational" justification for liking Apple ("Apple's just like everyone else's hardware, only in sexier design and slicker marketing" is a very common meme), so they bring out the RDF accusations against Apple fans, or dismiss Apple users as less tech savvy. Anand certainly tech savvy, so his favorable impression of Apple products was probably frustrating to them.

These people will show up to challenge Tim Cook if given the chance. Apparently, The Verge's editorial staff is full of people with this world view, and they're convinced Apple is wrong, evil, doomed, or all of the above.

• Reply 92 of 117
    rcfa wrote: »
    People who understand computers don't like walled gardens due to security concerns.

Trust is nice, control is better.
    Unless as an owner you have the option to access your own device as root, which allows monitoring processes and network connections, tracing the kernel, etc. you don't know what your device does.
    You would never know if your iOS device is a permanent bugging device for the NSA, because trusting Apple is nice, but useless in an age of gag orders.
    Particularly a device like the iPhone from which one can't remove the battery and which has no hard power switch, has to be considered permanently turned on and permanently listening unless users can properly monitor and control low level aspects of the device.

The reason Apple blocks user access has everything to do with anti-piracy and DRM enforcement, nothing with security, because the user having the ability to escalate his privilege to root level doesn't mean random apps can do it (if that were the case the entire OS X security model were flawed...)

But obviously a little bit of simplicity and DRM win over privacy and security concerns, despite Snowden, despite Patriot Act, etc.

Spare us the hyperbolic bs. Having worked in SV and dealing with UNIX since 1987, Linux since 1998, FreeBSD since its inception, NEXTSTEP, SGI IRIX, HP-UX, DEC OSF/1, OS/2, DOS 4.x - Win 7 [refused to help family beyond that version and most got Macs], and of course OS X when it went from NEXTSTEP to Rhapsody internally at Apple to current, none of these were enhanced or impeded by your perceived walled garden and its false sense of security you are inferring.

Linux has a piss poor security record, just like Windows and we won't bother with the bs about Malware on either Android Linux or Windows: they are equally s****y.

The OS I've been able to crash just as often, and file hundreds of bugs to Debian alone is Linux. It's the Duct tape of Operating Systems.

LINUX would be still a shit-hole MINIX copy if it were for the > $20 Billion invested by IBM, ORACLE, RED HAT, SUN, SGI and others to make it not be a POS.

Windows has been a POS since Day 1, but like IBM's raging POS platforms of the past, ``You can't go wrong learning IBM or Windows'' if you wanted a job was a requirement that infected the globe for decades.

LINUX doesn't guarantee a more robust security model. Hell, it can't manage to get a goddamn stable Graphics ABI and we're nearing the year 2015. The Sound Sub system has been a POS for 10+ years. It's just until PulseAudio 5 arrived that I've stopped having to fix it every update in Debian.

Quality Assurance is non-existent. OpenSSL is a POS that all platforms were using, despite the outrage from the experts on it at NetBSD. When they fix it Linux bitches about the goddamn GPL v. BSD license clause. Eff'em.

My personal favorite is the virtual s***storm of outrage within the LINUX community over Systemd: an absolute clone of Launchd. You're bitching about libertarian fantasies and privacy invasions when your ilk voted in and supported the GOP for decades: the same scum that willingly [along-side old Southern Blue Dog Dems] turn the globe into a clusterbomb of raping and pillaging 3rd world crapholes, none of which has a goddamn thing to do with a douchebag like Snowden being incapable of upholding his own oaths of position.

Meanwhile, that prick is watching from Russia all that is happening to the Ukraine. So just stop injecting politics and freedom into conversations, especially in a thread about a tech site review that like hundreds before will be bankrupt sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 93 of 117
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Coming at it from another angle, Anand commanded considerable respect and credibility from the tech community, which is why his reviews of Apple products carried far more weight than those from just about anyone else. Unlike someone with an up front pro-Apple bias like Dilger, Anand's praise of the iPhone 5s and A7 SoC could not be readily dismissed. And that's what made fandroid heads explode -- they had no rebuttal (other than ad hominem attacks and outright lies) when Anand pointed out just how far ahead of the curve Apple has become. He was also the journalist that confirmed how Android OEMs try to game the benchmark tests.

I was looking forward to his review of the iPhone 6, as well as any wearables that might be announced on Sept. 9. His review of the 5s was key to my choosing that model over the 5c. More so than any other review, it took a thorough and objective approach with a minimum of irrelevant asides thrown in. Whereas other reviewers take a lazy approach, and just parrot a bunch of bullet points (without necessarily understanding what anything means), Anand actually did the legwork of testing and digging into the technical details (because he actually knows what they mean).

It will be interesting to see what role Anand takes at Apple. Perhaps he will be involved in shaping Apple's technical message. Even though his writing is highly technical, he also communicates the advantages and disadvantages very well. However, he also came up with novel ways of testing different products, so I could also see him involved in R&D or product development.

My only misgiving is that we won't see his review of the upcoming products that Apple is about to launch.

Not only are Anand's reviews more technically oriented and objective compared to some other blatant pro-Apple writers, he also makes some valid criticisms.  For example, there was such a backlash from Mac users when he commented on OS X's lack of more flexible scaling options for 4k displays in OS X 10.9.2,

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/31/mac-proos-x-4k-display-compatibility-like-the-wild-west-some-4k-monitors-unsupported/

with some Apple fans even claiming that Apple should only support Retina-type scaling on Apple monitors.

I would hope that his objectivity and attention to detail are not compromised too severely as a result of his hiring by Apple.

• Reply 95 of 117
    [URL=http:/2014/08/29/seeing-through-the-illusion-understanding-apples-mastery-of-the-media/]http://************/2014/08/29/seeing-through-the-illusion-understanding-apples-mastery-of-the-media/[/URL]

this may also be a reason.

Really AI? No parsing of URL's in this free world? Or is it Huddler again?
  • Reply 96 of 117
    philboogie wrote: »

It's just that one site. Not sure why. The Pro Tip is to use a URL shortener and then post the link to this forum.
  • Reply 97 of 117
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's just that one site. Not sure why. The Pro Tip is to use a URL shortener and then post the link to this forum.

Indeed, that's what I do. And when someone doesn't, I simply prefix the 404 with "************/". But if the reason for the broken link to that domain is because it is a competitor...

edit: it doesn't even show
    ************/

edit 2: LOL, not even as code. Ok NineToFiveMacDotComForwardSlash, 'kay AppleInsider? Gees...
  • Reply 98 of 117
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You know, I don’t think we’ve ever heard. It’s just 9to5Mac, though. Watch.

9t

9to

9to5

9to5m

9to5ma

9to5mac

9to5mac.

9to5mac.c

9to5mac.co

• Reply 99 of 117

9t
    9to
    9to5
    9to5m
    9to5ma
    9to5mac
    9to5mac.
    9to5mac.c
    9to5mac.co

iPhone 9

Coming 9.9
  • Reply 100 of 117

9t
    9to
    9to5
    9to5m
    9to5ma
    9to5mac
    9to5mac.
    9to5mac.c
    9to5mac.co

9to4mac.com
    9to6mac.com
    28or6to4mac.com