Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
A rear shell said to be destined for Apple's anticipated 5.5-inch iPhone was shown off Monday in a new video, with a ruler placed alongside suggesting that previously leaked dimensions of the still-unannounced handset could be legitimate.




Physically, the shell appears to be a scaled-up version of the same part on its supposed 4.7-inch sibling and comes complete with internal mounting points and plastic rigging. The video shows a length of between 150 and 160 millimeters, and French blog NWE notes that the device could end up bearing the "iPhone Air" moniker.

The dimensions line up with specifications previously sourced from what is said to be a computer system at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn. In those screenshots, the 4.7-inch version measures 138 millimeters on the Y axis, 66 millimeters on the X axis, and 6.9 millimeters on the Z axis, while the 5.5-inch model compares at 158 millimeters, 78 millimeters, and 7.1 millimeters, respectively.



Little else is revealed in the new video, and very few parts for the "phablet" model have been seen. Numerous reports, including one from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, have suggested that the 5.5-inch variant could be delayed until as late as 2015.

Apple will announce its next-generation iPhone lineup at a media event on Sept. 9, with availability likely to follow on Sept. 19, based on the company's recent history. AppleInsider will bring live coverage from the event in Cupertino.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 95
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    It will be fun to sees phablet iPhone in stores soon.

    As far as nomenclature. I hope Apple doesn't call this massive phone the "iPhone Air".

    The smaller 4.7 inch phone should be called "Air" while the larger model should be called the "Pro" model just like with the MacBooks.
  • Reply 2 of 95
    All these leaks seem to show the case with that crazy oversized band. I hope the production version doesn't have it!
  • Reply 3 of 95
    The 5.5" iPhone and NFC has been the phone from Apple I've been waiting on for a long time. The probability of me having both looks more likely than ever now. I'm excited.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    prokipprokip Posts: 171member
    Who cares about the band? I just need a larger iPhone !!
  • Reply 5 of 95

     Looks faked to me. I say that because the inside looks machined. i don't think apple would do more than test the design that way. They wouldn't/couldn't machine tens of millions of them in mass production. There would maybe be a stamping process and then machining the ports on the sides. Seems like an elaborate hoax or someone got their hands on a prototype part. 

    We will see in 8 days. 

  • Reply 6 of 95
    blackbook wrote: »
    It will be fun to sees phablet iPhone in stores soon.

    As far as nomenclature. I hope Apple doesn't call this massive phone the "iPhone Air".

    The smaller 4.7 inch phone should be called "Air" while the larger model should be called the "Pro" model just like with the MacBooks.

    I disagree. The 5.5 should be called the iPhone Fatty.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Only eight more days to go!

     

    Let the countdown commence!

  • Reply 8 of 95
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Only eight more days to go!

    Let the countdown commence!

    8...
  • Reply 9 of 95
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

    I disagree. The 5.5 should be called the iPhone Fatty.

    Why not 'the Tall-ee'?

  • Reply 10 of 95
    See? Was it so damn hard to sneak a desk ruler into a factory in China to measure the new Goophone 5.5-inch shell?
  • Reply 11 of 95
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Only eight more days to go!

    Let the countdown commence!

    Countdown? To Apple's response to the iCloud hack. Doesn't matter what it really is, all people are going to remember from this is Apple iCloud was hacked.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post





    Countdown? To Apple's response to the iCloud hack. Doesn't matter what it really is, all people are going to remember from this is Apple iCloud was hacked.



    Apple's iCloud wasn't hacked.

     

    "Hack" to people that don't know what hack means, means compromising anything, from anywhere.



    In the real world, hack means through a security flaw of a system, a malicious user was able to compromise a system and/or it's data.

     

    If these celebrities set their passwords to Password321, and it is guessed, that is not a hack. This also applies if their email account has been compromised and their Apple ID password has been changed unknowingly. That is not a hack. That is poor security management on the users end.

     

    A hack would be finding a backdoor (in this case to the Photo Stream and/or iCloud backup service) and targeting Apple ID's to steal data. That did not happen.

     

    Plus, Apple has had 2 step verification implemented for some time, so a user cannot access this sort of data without verification from an existing approved device. If you had celebrity status, where many, many people would like to compromise your accounts and details, you would undisputedly turn on the maximum security settings available.

     

    Good day.

  • Reply 13 of 95
    How do we know this is not an iPod Touch?
  • Reply 14 of 95
    mazecookie wrote: »

    Apple's iCloud wasn't hacked.

    "Hack" to people that don't know what hack means, means compromising anything, from anywhere.


    In the real world, hack means through a security flaw of a system, a malicious user was able to compromise a system and/or it's data.

    If these celebrities set their passwords to Password321, and it is guessed, that is not a hack. This also applies if their email account has been compromised and their Apple ID password has been changed unknowingly. That is not a hack. That is poor security management on the users end.

    A hack would be finding a backdoor (in this case to the Photo Stream and/or iCloud backup service) and targeting Apple ID's to steal data. That did not happen.

    Plus, Apple has had 2 step verification implemented for some time, so a user cannot access this sort of data without verification from an existing approved device. If you had celebrity status, where many, many people would like to compromise your accounts and details, you would undisputedly turn on the maximum security settings available.

    Good day.

    Let me simplify this a little bit more for you. You, myself and most of the posters on here know what you said to be mostly true. What I'm saying is, that the mass general public who know next to nothing about these matters will only hear and remember Apple's iCloud was hacked. Despite if it's true or not.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post





    Let me simplify this a little bit more for you. You, myself and most of the posters on here know what you said to be mostly true. What I'm saying is, that the mass general public who know next to nothing about these matters will only hear and remember Apple's iCloud was hacked. Despite if it's true or not.



    I see. And I agree.



    That was not evident from your original post, though. 

  • Reply 16 of 95
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Countdown? To Apple's response to the iCloud hack. Doesn't matter what it really is, all people are going to remember from this is Apple iCloud was hacked.
    Most people don't even know it happened.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    No doubt sog made this vid.
  • Reply 18 of 95
    mazecookie wrote: »

    I see. And I agree.


    That was not evident from your original post, though. 

    You're correct in that I wasn't as clear as I should of been. I apologize to you Sir.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    I really hate these bold bands ,, especially those around the top and bottom !!
  • Reply 20 of 95
    blackbook wrote: »
    Most people don't even know it happened.

    Really? You really think that? Nude celebrities? Pretty big deal in the modern U.S culture unfortunately. I've been at work for 3 hours and have about 10 customers ask or inquire about this already.
Sign In or Register to comment.