Apple 'actively investigating' celebrity photo leaks for possible iCloud connection

Comments

• Reply 141 of 210
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Taylor Swift is, at least on security.

I understand she also created Apple's new programming language, which they graciously named after her.
  • Reply 142 of 210
    M
    gtr wrote: »
    This reaks of a public smear a week before the latest iPhone release.

It staggers me that ALL of the major news sites are reporting this as an iCloud hack in their headlines before briefly mentioning deep within the articles that this information has not been verified.

What the f*ck has happened to reporting these days?

Reporting these days try to increase hits by making sensational headlines (or) are being paid by the competition to fuel such propaganda.
  • Reply 143 of 210
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    You’d be surprised at the number of people who claim this isn’t a valid argument and that people should be allowed to do whatever they want.

That's because we're in an environment where consent has lot all meaning.
    john12345 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean iCloud was hacked.  They found the passwords from somewhere else and used them to log in to iCloud.

One of the messages I read earlier indicated that the images being posted had been deleted from iCloud months or even years ago. So speculatively speaking, either the images were stolen a long time ago, or they weren't stolen from iCloud but rather something like the Apple Time Capsule (which can be accessed via iCloud)
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3699096?tstart=0 "
    That's if you've got the Time Capsule and your Computer set up correctly.

Time Capsule setup:

1. Open Airport Utility
    1a. Open Time Capsule Base Station tab
    1b. Put iCloud NAME in "Back to My Mac"
    1c. Enter Password, then wait for activation (less than 1 minute normally)
    1d. Open Time Capsule Disks tab
    1e. Check mark "Enable file sharing"
    1f. Check mark "Share disk over WAN"
    1h. Password self explanitory

Computer (Mac)

1. Open iCloud in System Preferences
    2. Put a check mark on "Back to My Mac", wait for actication (less than 1 minute normally)

Connecting to Time Capsule Disk from you HOME network or outside your home network ((INTERNET))

In order to connect to Time Capsule Disk off your local (home) network you must have an internet connection, if you do then do this:

1. Open Finder
    2. In Finder open Shared if collapsed and double click on your Time Capsule name.
    3. Double click your Time Capsule, enter password (if you required).
    4. Once connected to your Time Capsule double click on your Disk to mount it enter password (if your required).
    5. Done, remember the connection speed is dependent on your internet quality (broadband vs dial-up).
  • Reply 144 of 210

Ive sorted my iCloud account just renamed my dog with a 25 letter name including symbols , not easy calling him but my iCloud is secure ;) 

• Reply 145 of 210

Ive sorted my iCloud account just renamed my dog with a 25 letter name including symbols , not easy calling him but my iCloud is secure ;)  

Thanks for the heads-up, at least I now know the length. Python will do the rest¡
  • Reply 146 of 210

You have a Python cool and he's computer literate awsome :D 

• Reply 147 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Bedtime for me!

And AAPL is up this morning already, to over $103.50 @ frankfurt!

Nobody gives a crap about this stupid celeb story. Nobody that matters at least. And who matters? Well, Apple stockholders matter, that's who.

The media can kiss my ass! What a bunch of moronic, irresponsible, amateurish assclowns. Much of the media doesn't report actual news anymore, they try to make up the news! Screw them all! If celebs weren't involved, nobody would give a second thought to this story. Nobody would have even given it a first thought.

There are too many great things happening for anything to hold Apple back this week, least of all, some idiotic and unconfirmed celeb story, that might have nothing to do with Apple at all.

Apple is a damn juggernaut, and they're going to steamroll over everybody this week and next week.

Screw the media, screw pervert hackers and screw anybody else who is even going to foolishly attempt to hold Apple back. Apple will crush them all.

Goodnight.

• Reply 148 of 210
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Goodnight.

How are we going to be able to go to sleep with yet another bullish rant from you?
  • Reply 149 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

How are we going to be able to go to sleep with yet another bullish rant from you?

It's morning for you, where you are. I'm the one who's about to go to sleep. 

People who might suffer from any potential sleep disorders after reading my posts is obviously not a big concern of mine.

And with that, I'm out.

• Reply 150 of 210

First, these are photographs of nudes and sex - stuff that is pretty common knowledge, seen and practised freely by consenting adults in most societies. Why the outrage over nudity? They are not pics of people holding up severed heads.

Second, why would Jennifer Lawrence et al keep photographs they wish to keep strictly private on ANY Cloud server? It seems to me that a number of the pics of JL were probably held by other people as well - like the photographers who took them? 

Has Jennifer Lawrence categorically stated the photographs in question were on her iCloud account? 

• Reply 151 of 210
    The CIA/NSA could be behind the leaks. To cast a negative light on "We ain't going along with your illegal requests" Apple.
  • Reply 152 of 210
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

These celebs need to think of themselves like a bank or a government entity where there are constant hacking attempts. 

Hmm...maybe I should get into a business of protecting celebs from virtual threats.  They hire body guards, but what about virtual body guards?

Ok, don't steal my idea.

Great idea really. You could be some kind of online security advisor for these rich people. You'll do extremely well in this new world.

On topic, I think iCloud or Dropbox is most likely suspect. Dropbox app uploaded every pictures you took on your iPhone. Most of the time without your knowledge. My wife doesn't even know her Dropbox app uploaded her iPhone pictures to their server.

• Reply 153 of 210
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Apple should automatically block access after a set number of tries when it detects a pattern of multiple attempts with various passwords.

When I try to buy apps but enter password wrong a couple of times, next time I have to answer the question I gave to Apple long time ago. If I think too long, even the answer was right it won't let me in. I have to answer another question again.

• Reply 154 of 210
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yawn...
  • Reply 155 of 210
    Despite what actually really happened, most morning "news" programs are reporting that the FBI and Apple are investigating the iCloud hack. This is now the narrative. This is what the masses are hearing and it's linked to Apple.
  • Reply 156 of 210
    It'll all be addressed before the 9th guaranteed, but those celebs may not be quick to forgive and forget.
  • Reply 158 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Despite what actually really happened, most morning "news" programs are reporting that the FBI and Apple are investigating the iCloud hack. This is now the narrative. This is what the masses are hearing and it's linked to Apple.
    Yep. Tim Cook said the executive team meets every Monday at 9am for 4 hours. Wonder what they'll be talking about this morning. ;) IF it is confirmed to be an iCloud hack is that a black mark against Eddy Cue the way maps was against Scott Forstall?
  • Reply 159 of 210
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yep. Tim Cook said the executive team meets every Monday at 9am for 4 hours. Wonder what they'll be talking about this morning. ;) IF it is confirmed to be an iCloud hack is that a black mark against Eddy Cue the way maps was against Scott Forstall?

I'd say not.
  • Reply 160 of 210

Apple haters are fapping away at all this.

But today we learn that the images were 'hacked' from multiple cloud services.

Note to celebrities: '4kittens' and 'password2' are not the best passwords.