Samsung's 'rushed,' 'half-baked' announcements set Apple up for easy victory this fall, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    Well said!!
  • Reply 42 of 96
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

...constantly calling it glamorous and beautiful...

Apple has trademarked the use of the words ‘magical’, ‘amazing’, and ‘boom’ in regard to electronic devices. Samsung has to make do with what’s left.

• Reply 43 of 96
    I don't think even samsung believe in their own products based on that product announcement. Announcing every product within 5 minutes and then struggling to have anything worthwhile to share about any of them... That can't just be attributed to a poorly prepared announcement...
  • Reply 44 of 96
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a very very big deal ...

Both Apple and the credit card providers can incite customers to use their respective products and services -- by offering lower fees, higher/more cashback rewards ...

I've posted elsewhere, that the credit card providers might/should be willing to subsidize the purchase of iDevice hardware tied in with use of their services.

Say, BofA Visa offers a cashback reward of $300 for the first $1,500 charged using a iPhone 6.

A friend recently opened a BofA Visa account and got a $200 cashback reward for just using the card for $1,500 -- mostly over the Internet, with no card present.

I could see Apple partnering on this and essentially 'double subsidizing' iPhones and possibly taking some of the cost off the carriers.  Basically pre-screen anyone who wants to buy an iPhone 6.  If they qualify, pre-approve them for a BofA card 'built in' to the iPhone and automatically put the purchase of the *full* price of the phone on the card, which then qualifies the purchaser for $100 cashback from BofA.  Then apply the carrier subsidies on top of that and issue the 'cash back' in form of Apple store gift cards.

Banks win because they have 8394848292 new users who start out with a decent debt, and they can give fairly crappy terms on the cards.  People are happy because they get new iPhones for 'less' up front.  Apple is happy because it sells tons more phones, and gets a slice of future purchases made on it.

Nice.

• Reply 45 of 96
    chandra69 wrote: »
    But one should not deny that... Samsung new Note's design got improved.

I agree. There's far less undigested corn in Samsung's latest turd.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    plovell wrote: »
    @Bore: you should focus on the "essence", and you have not so far.

The essence is that Apple's security on the iPhone and access to protected information on iPhone is second to none.

The hoopla is that some peoples' accounts seem to have been compromised because of shortcomings with password/security-questions (which are industry standard). Why were they hacked? Purely because their personal info (photos etc) are valuable, unlike yours and mine. 

And I suspect that some on Wall St have done some market manipulation as well. Hard for an outsider to tell, but the drop is unusual.

Right plus I still suspect many simply fell for phishing emails, there have been a ton recently ... and some of those celebrates were blondes after all ...;)

Of course we now know which were natural blonds too...

Let's give credit where it is due though... they were smart enough to have all bought iPhones to begin with.
  • Reply 47 of 96

Looks like the analysts are waking up and smelling the coffee.

Samsung, Karma is a bitch.

• Reply 48 of 96
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't know why Samsung would have rushed to get their products out anyways. First doesn't mean better (in fact its usually the latter). Apple isn't always the first to do something, but they're typically far better than the space they just entered/upgraded. Don't announce things until they're ready and well thought out. The products they released the other day are just shameful. If thats "The Next Big Thing", then Samsung is in trouble and we'll really see if thats true come Tuesday. 

That's because Samsung is competing with Apple. Apple has one of the most loyal following of all tech companies. Samsung knows that if they don't grab some market share by being first, before Apple enters the market, they will not get Apple buyers to switch once they buy a competing Apple device. For companies competing against Apple, it's much easier to try to keep the market share they got before Apple got into the market, than to try to get Apple users to switch by coming up with a better device. On the other hand, Apple has no problem coming out with a better device to compete with, to win over market share.

• Reply 49 of 96
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Their announcements are underwhelming, rushed and half-baked???

I didn't watch their announcement. Couldn't care less. But that big phone with only one side screen looks half-baked to me.

• Reply 50 of 96
    frood wrote: »
    This is a very very big deal ...

Both Apple and the credit card providers can incite customers to use their respective products and services -- by offering lower fees, higher/more cashback rewards ...

I've posted elsewhere, that the credit card providers might/should be willing to subsidize the purchase of iDevice hardware tied in with use of their services.

Say, BofA Visa offers a cashback reward of $300 for the first $1,500 charged using a iPhone 6.

A friend recently opened a BofA Visa account and got a $200 cashback reward for just using the card for $1,500 -- mostly over the Internet, with no card present.

I could see Apple partnering on this and essentially 'double subsidizing' iPhones and possibly taking some of the cost off the carriers.  Basically pre-screen anyone who wants to buy an iPhone 6.  If they qualify, pre-approve them for a BofA card 'built in' to the iPhone and automatically put the purchase of the *full* price of the phone on the card, which then qualifies the purchaser for $100 cashback from BofA.  Then apply the carrier subsidies on top of that and issue the 'cash back' in form of Apple store gift cards.

Banks win because they have 8394848292 new users who start out with a decent debt, and they can give fairly crappy terms on the cards.  People are happy because they get new iPhones for 'less' up front.  Apple is happy because it sells tons more phones, and gets a slice of future purchases made on it.

Nice.

The gift that just keeps on giving ...

As you describe above ... plus the other cc providers are also notified. What's to prevent them from offering their own [additional] cashback reward for use of the iPhone to make purchases their credit card?

You buy an iPhone through BofA/Visa and get the $100 immediate cashback reward. Then MasterCard offers you a $100 cashback reward when you purchase $1,000 worth of merchandise on the MasterCard ... Same With Amex, Discover and any other interested cc providers.

Add in the carrier subsidy, if needed ...

And/Or, you could spread the purchase of the iPhone over several credit cards.

So, an Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 costs:

+ $950 purchase price with taxes with taxes
    - $100 BofA/Visa subsidy for buying the iPhone
    - $100 MasterCard subsidy using the iPhone to buy mdse using MasterCard
    - $100 American Express subsidy using the iPhone to buy mdse using American Express
    - $100 Discover subsidy using the iPhone to buy mdse using Discover
    - $400 from ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile for using their phone system
    ===============================================================
      $150 net cost of iPhone (look around big Joe and see if we missed anybody)

Diners Club Card we hardly knew ye'

Nicer!
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Leave it up to Apple insider with it's crappy biased view and fanboyish Apple was to make an article of this nature pretty comical at best.

Let's face reality APPLE is going into a new category especially with it's stupid looking phablet Apple product which will be a silly joke.

Then look at the 4.7 inch iphone nothing of any real significance here same old same old useless icons which mean nothing to nobody.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    Leave it up to Apple insider with it's crappy biased view and fanboyish Apple was to make an article of this nature pretty comical at best.

Let's face reality APPLE is going into a new category especially with it's stupid looking phablet Apple product which will be a silly joke.

Then look at the 4.7 inch iphone nothing of any real significance here same old same old useless icons which mean nothing to nobody.
  • Reply 54 of 96

I seem to recall that, back when Apple was first getting into the cell phone market, there was a story circulating that they basically strong-armed AT&T into carrying the iPhone. They basically threatened to create a new carrier to compete directly with AT&T et al.

With all the cash they have on hand, what’s to stop them from creating their own bank/credit card and really getting in on the credit business? They’re probably way more liquid then many financial institutions that do it for living.

Certainly the threat of that might be good leverage to get a good deal from the CC providers.

• Reply 55 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Analysts get the same response even when they criticize Apple's decisions after the fact.

Analysts were proven wrong. The 4 wasn't recalled for the antenna. The 5C was a success. The original iPhone, iPad, iPad mini were all successes.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    jungmark wrote: »
    Analysts were proven wrong. The 4 wasn't recalled for the antenna. The 5C was a success. The original iPhone, iPad, iPad mini were all successes.

The antenna was redesigned for the 4S, the 5C did not meet expectations according to Tim Cook himself, and I don't recall an analyst saying that either iPad had failed after release. In fact I don't recall any analysts saying the iPad mini would fail before it was released although I do recall that for the original iPad.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    Samsung is running scared, facing drastic drops in mobile device profits such that they are throwing all kinds of plastic devices into the marketplace to desperately garner income. Worse, they are hemorrhaging money on expensive, widespread adversing and Best Buy store-in-store space rental, which only makes their net income position worse. Only a company in trouble would offer discounts on recently introduced products, as they did with the Galaxy S5. Anyone who runs a business readily perceives that Samsung's scattershot "strategy" has put them into a downward spiral.
  • Reply 58 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The antenna was redesigned for the 4S, the 5C did not meet expectations according to Tim Cook himself, and I don't recall an analyst saying that either iPad had failed after release. In fact I don't recall any analysts saying the iPad mini would fail before it was released although I do recall that for the original iPad.

1. And the iPhone was designed for version 5 and 5S. What's your point. The fact was the 4 wasn't recalled and was still sold.
    2. Nope. Cook said the 5C exceeded their expectations. The mix was a bit off but that's because more people than predicted bought the 5S
  • Reply 59 of 96
    jungmark wrote: »
    1. And the iPhone was designed for version 5 and 5S. What's your point. The fact was the 4 wasn't recalled and was still sold.
    2. Nope. Cook said the 5C exceeded their expectations. The mix was a bit off but that's because more people than predicted bought the 5S

Just because a product doesn't merit a recall doesn't mean that it was appropriately functional. Apple redesigned it to be more difficult to block the signal while gripping the phone. And yes the 5 was redesigned because Apple knew they could improve the design over the 4S, just like they were able to improve the design of the antenna from 4 to 4S.

Regardless of how you want to spin Tim's comments, he said that the 5C did not meet expectations. The analysts also said it did not meet expectations. Therefore they were right and in agreement with Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The analysts also said it did not meet expectations. Therefore they were right…

No.