Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Comments

• Reply 221 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

You should mention that raclette is Swiss and poutine is Quebecois. You seem to appreciate French speaking cooking! 

I thought Quebecois is only French in about the same way Newfie is English?

Sorry, I guess only Canadians will get that.

• Reply 222 of 267
    eauvive wrote: »
    Since you guys are delving into the high-tech depths of communication and fitness -- let me offer a couple of my favorites:

Raclettes ...

Raclette or Gruyere cheese, metlted and served with new potatoes, condiments, veggies, prosciutto, etc.

And Poutine ...

Curd cheese (Squeaky cheese) mixed with special gravy -- and spread liberally over crisp french fries:

You should mention that raclette is Swiss and poutine is Quebecois. You seem to appreciate French speaking cooking! 

Ahh ... On my IBM trip to Paris and Sindelfingen -- spent the weekend in Geneva and raclettes discovered me.

Sheena, a web friend, born and raised in Montreal turned me on to Poutine during one of her music live casts:

http://sheenamelwani.com

While working for IBM in Palo Alto, I spent two consecutive Februaries in Marshfield WI. * At Figi's Mail order -- their CICS order entry system would die under holiday volume. The one benefit of those trips is that the Figi's computer system was located at their Main Office/Showroom/Dairy. They had a big churn on the display floor that was filled with fresh (daily) curd ** cheese. They gave out free samples like candy. When Sheena mentioned that curd cheese was used in Poutine -- I was hooked.

* your kind of temperature

** Curd cheese is roughly the texture of Swiss, has a mild, cheddar-like taste, comes in curds about the size of a gumball. It is unique in that when you chew it -- it squeaks on your teeth. You can rationalize that you're taking care of your teeth -- rather than just snacking. ;)
  • Reply 223 of 267

We have a similar group from New France in the US ... They call themselves Cajuns.
  • Reply 224 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have a similar group from New France in the US ... They call themselves Cajuns.

Gumbo!!!

I am allergic to seafood, so that's a no-go for me. Pity. :(

• Reply 225 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Never heard Newfie's English. From a standard (French-centric) point of view, Quebecois is French with extra words, mainly borrowed from nearby American, some words that have been picked up verbatim from 17th century French (« char » = “car” instead of « automobile »), some words that have kept their old meaning (« blonde » meaning ‘girlfriend’ whereas in modern French the adjective relates only to hair color, as in English) and zany expressions (« Tomber en amour » directly calqued on English's “To fall in love” while the standard French is « tomber amoureux » i.e. ~ “fall loving”). Topped by a curious burr that sounds nice when it is not too pronounced (otherwise it is just horrible and incomprehensible).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

** Curd cheese is roughly the texture of Swiss, has a mild, cheddar-like taste, comes in curds about the size of a gumball. It is unique in that when you chew it -- it squeaks on your teeth. You can rationalize that you're taking care of your teeth -- rather than just snacking. image

I seldom eat cheddar. But I see what you mean. It's about the same principle as Mozzarella, except that Mozzarella (the true one) is made with buffalo milk (Mozzarella di buffala).

• Reply 226 of 267
    Now you're getting me drooling! 

Yorkshire pudding isn't like Dutch pancakes. It's a combination of a soft, dense base with a fluffy topping that rises and turns crispy in the oven.

Once again I find myself replying shortly before lunch... and equally starving(!)... and my stomach just growled to concur! Now where can I find "Toad in the Hole" in Cologne?! Seriously I would feel funny asking for it by name here, because if you know anything about the city, it has a rather large LBGT community... the request might be misunderstood... :D
    I suspect I would like German cuisine, as you seem to like your sausages, or whatever you call them - frankfurters, I guess. 

I haven't met a soul that didn't enjoy German "Hauskost" (home-styled cooking)... but then again, you're rather well known for being a member of The Contrarian Guard so it would remain to be seen... and tasted.

Actually, we call sausages of all kinds "wurst". Frankfurters are a kind of sausage known by many names, but it doesn't come from Frankfurt, Germany... rather Vienna.

A very interesting and original sausage is that coming from Halberstadt in old East Germany, and also named accordingly, Halberstädter Würstchen. It's also one of the few sausage recipes to be patented world-wide, because it must be made in the beechwood smoke ovens found originally and still in production at it's original location and national monument since 1883.

I visited Halberstadt a couple of years ago with friends and stayed at the original founder's villa which is now a 4-star hotel with attached brewery. Not to "p-off' any Germans from the area, but it's actually the only thing to see and experience for miles.

Apart from the great culinary delights, the main thing that I took away from the car trip over the old borders, was how you could almost "feel the ghosts of panzer divisions" in line lurking over the horizon in the low mist that covered the almost treeless expanse. It was rather eery to say the least... or at least I found it so.

Off to LUNCH!.... finally!
  • Reply 227 of 267
    Since we're so off-topic anyway, I just have to link to this great article at The Guardian, just to "tweak" our good friend, [@]EauVive[/@] ... :D

[B]Forget the bucket list:[/B] [URL=http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/15/forget-the-bucket-list-these-are-the-things-you-should-avoid-before-you-die?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2] these are the things you should avoid before you die
    A list of things which should never belong to anyone’s bucket list. You’ll thank us (me) later[/URL]

[I][B]Going to Paris.[/B] I’m a city lover but after 48 hours in the City of Love I had my passport stolen, met a frotteur on a crowded train and was gobbed on in the street. If only I’d copped the latter before that métro ride – it might have put the sexual predator off. I shudder remembering the moment he met my eye and stared back and I realised what seemed to be happening really was happening. Of course, in my fury my French deserted me. (Frotteur is a French word, right?) Sure, Paris has some postcard views. The bits near the Seine are pretty and the lights are twinkly at night. But the people are beaten down and miserable. And they piss in the subway ... and worse. On a previous visit we were looking up at the Arc de Triomphe when we tripped over someone taking a dump on the Champs-Élysées. At 9am in the morning. [/I]

"So you had a good time?"........ :p

Edited for best One-Liner - [I]"Skydiving. I have no idea why it is life affirming to willfully fall out of a plane."[/I]
  • Reply 228 of 267
    Since we're so off-topic anyway, I just have to link to this great article at The Guardian, just to "tweak" our good friend, [@]EauVive[/@] ... :D

Forget the bucket list: these are the things you should avoid before you die
    A list of things which should never belong to anyone’s bucket list. You’ll thank us (me) later

Going to Paris. I’m a city lover but after 48 hours in the City of Love I had my passport stolen, met a frotteur on a crowded train and was gobbed on in the street. If only I’d copped the latter before that métro ride – it might have put the sexual predator off. I shudder remembering the moment he met my eye and stared back and I realised what seemed to be happening really was happening. Of course, in my fury my French deserted me. (Frotteur is a French word, right?) Sure, Paris has some postcard views. The bits near the Seine are pretty and the lights are twinkly at night. But the people are beaten down and miserable. And they piss in the subway ... and worse. On a previous visit we were looking up at the Arc de Triomphe when we tripped over someone taking a dump on the Champs-Élysées. At 9am in the morning.

Ah, so you read the Grauniad; that explains where it all went wrong. To such a nice guy, too… ????
  • Reply 229 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Since we're so off-topic anyway, I just have to link to this great article at The Guardian, just to "tweak" our good friend, @EauVive ... image

A list of things which should never belong to anyone’s bucket list. You’ll thank us (me) later

Going to Paris. I’m a city lover but after 48 hours in the City of Love I had my passport stolen, met a frotteur on a crowded train and was gobbed on in the street. If only I’d copped the latter before that métro ride – it might have put the sexual predator off. I shudder remembering the moment he met my eye and stared back and I realised what seemed to be happening really was happening. Of course, in my fury my French deserted me. (Frotteur is a French word, right?) Sure, Paris has some postcard views. The bits near the Seine are pretty and the lights are twinkly at night. But the people are beaten down and miserable. And they piss in the subway ... and worse. On a previous visit we were looking up at the Arc de Triomphe when we tripped over someone taking a dump on the Champs-Élysées. At 9am in the morning.

"So you had a good time?"........ image

Oh yeah, I read this article yesterday. That was fun. By the way, for me ‘gob’ means ‘lump’ or ‘mouth’, but what means ‘to gob on’?

That’s mainly right. It points out how idealized Anglo-Saxons and especially Americans see Paris. It’s a nice city with some stupendous buildings and sights, but it nevertheless is a big city, with all that go with it! That gal obviously had seen too much postcards or read too many sloppy novels. 

• Reply 230 of 267
    Since we're so off-topic anyway, I just have to link to this great article at The Guardian, just to "tweak" our good friend, [@=/u/53178/EauVive]@EauVive[/@] ... :D

Oh yeah, I read this article yesterday. That was fun. By the way, for me ‘gob’ means ‘lump’ or ‘mouth’, but what means ‘to gob on’?
    That’s mainly right. It points out how idealized Anglo-Saxons and especially Americans see Paris. It’s a nice city with some stupendous buildings and sights, but it nevertheless is a big city, with all that go with it! That gal obviously had seen too much postcards or read too many sloppy novels. 

To gob on means to spit on.
  • Reply 231 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

To gob on means to spit on.

Thanks. Actually it's pretty difficult when one lives sundered from the Anglo-saxon world to catch up with linguistic creations. Most of my contact with English happens now through written media, which is way more controlled and regulated.

• Reply 232 of 267
    Ah, so you read the Grauniad; that explains where it all went wrong. To such a nice guy, too… ????

Well by all means, enlighten me to take up reading a better British publication(!)

Ya gotta admit, it's better than the Mirror or Sun... and how better to get a feel for the British middle-class than with a middle-weight rag? Besides, the "Grauniad" as you call it has quite the international readership and it's fun to follow the footie coverage and comments from around the world.
  • Reply 233 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Well by all means, enlighten me to take up reading a better British publication(!)

Ya gotta admit, it's better than the Mirror or Sun... and how better to get a feel for the British middle-class than with a middle-weight rag? Besides, the "Grauniad" as you call it has quite the international readership and it's fun to follow the footie coverage and comments from around the world.

At one time, I would have said The Times; sadly, it's a shadow of what it was. Otherwise, maybe The Telegraph.

• Reply 234 of 267
    Quote:

At one time, I would have said The Times; sadly, it's a shadow of what it was. Otherwise, maybe The Telegraph.

In fact, I read the Guardian every day. It even has a decent and somewhat balanced coverage of the independence campaign in Scotland, despite being, like 99,99 % of British newspaper, a no-supporter.

• Reply 235 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Quote:

In fact, I read the Guardian every day. It even has a decent and somewhat balanced coverage of the independence campaign in Scotland, despite being, like 99,99 % of British newspaper, a no-supporter.

I have a feeling that The Sun even got rid of its Page 3 girls recently.

A man is entitled to his daily breast.

• Reply 236 of 267

They should make it geared more towards women. It's too masculine.

• Reply 237 of 267

Your bosom page 3? :)
  • Reply 238 of 267

I already guessed you were going to say the Telegraph... because you um... telegraph belonging to that demographic rather well.

Which comes with no further comment or judgement. I read it too... when linked... :smokey:
  • Reply 239 of 267

NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'!!!! We might even get along over a pint or 2 if that's you're outlook on LIFE!... :D
  • Reply 240 of 267
    [@]Tallest Skil[/@] - [@]Suddenly Newton[/@] - [@]island hermit[/@] and the Etcetera Gang

Just a small "on topic" aside to Page 3 Girls, Right To Breasts Movement and international food dishes with and without toads....

I had a feeling I should've stuck to[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182173/apple-watch-revealed-a-wrist-worn-personalized-communications-fitness-device-with-digital-crown-physical-controls#post_2592885] my price predictions on the Apple Watch[/URL].

[URL=http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/apple_watch]John Gruber at Daring Fireball[/URL]… funny enough… agrees with me and has a very good write up (not for TL;DR types) as to why. Below relevant quotes:

* Apple Watch Sport (aluminum/glass): $349 (not a guess)
    * Apple Watch (stainless steel/sapphire): $999
    * Apple Watch Edition (18-karat gold/sapphire): [B]$4,999[/B]

[I]When the prices of the steel and (especially) gold Apple Watches are announced,[B] I expect the tech press to have the biggest collective shit-fit in the history of Apple-versus-the-standard-tech-industry shit-fits.[/B] The utilitarian mindset that asks “Why would anyone waste money on a gold watch?” isn’t going to be able to come to grips with what Apple is doing here. They’re going to say that Jony Ive and Tim Cook have lost their minds. They’re going to wear out their keyboards typing “This never would have happened if Steve Jobs were alive.” They’re going to predict utter and humiliating failure. In short, they’re going to mistake Apple for Vertu.
    And then people will line up around the block at Apple Stores around the world to buy them. I think Apple Watch prices are going to be shockingly high — gasp-inducingly, get-me-to-the-fainting-couch high — from the perspective of the tech industry. But at the same time, there is room for them to be disruptively low from the perspective of the traditional watch and jewelry world. There’s a massive pricing umbrella in the luxury watch world, and Apple is aiming to take advantage of it.
    [/I]