Samsung back on Apple-bashing bandwagon with new 'It Doesn't Take a Genius' ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    The one about streaming is funny. For all the hype and front page status this was a very poor stream. I got about 5 minutes throughout the whole event on a 40Mbit leased line. Maybe I should have watched at home on Apple TV?
  • Reply 42 of 193

We think alike. After my old Samsung TV died I bought an LG TV with webOS because Samsung has been a shamefull company for a few years now.

Only two more Samsung products left in my home, a Blu-Ray player and a PC monitor. Both will get replaced by an LG product once they stop working.

• Reply 43 of 193
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member

Sam who?

I hear there used to be a product cloning company from South Korea named "Sam-Something" or "Sam-Thing" or "Sam-I-Am" or something like that - but they fell from relevancy a long time ago, somewhere around June 29, 2007. Interesting, I didn't realize they were still in business. So you say they are now doing fantasy videos using humans instead of claymation? Who da thunk!? They must be desperate or indebted heavily to a bookie for making a lot of bad bets. 

Meh.

• Reply 44 of 193
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Kid yourself pal Apple could not touch Samsung in the Far East or even in the states.

• Reply 45 of 193

How did they get an ad together so quickly, it's almost like they knew something was going to go wrong with Apple's stream…

• Reply 46 of 193
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Kid yourself pal Apple could not touch Samsung in the Far East or even in the states.

Ah, the sexual harassment laws. I’d forgotten.

• Reply 47 of 193
    marvfox wrote: »

Absolutely untrue and this is coming from someone living in the "far east"
  • Reply 48 of 193
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    rickers wrote: »
    Uh, yeah.  These pretty much sum it up.  Cook & Company are going to destroy Apple.  Enjoy what little of it there is left while it lasts.  I couldn't even stand to watch Schiller who usually does a good presentation.

All this stuff used to just be a projection of Steve.  Now, it's just pretentious.

"It's amazing!"

"It goes on your wrist!"

"It will tell you the time!"

"It will tell you how many strokes while you were whacking it!"

I just had to turn it off.

Bah.
    ;) another paid Samsung's slave lol. Samsung marketing group must be peeing in their pants now to see the last market share parting them. They could survive because Apple let them. Now, Apple present in every category that Samsung once owned... 2 versions of iPhone 6 really shake up the mobile phone world. Tim Cooks is a genius behind this decision: 4.7" to continue the domination in segment < 5" while 5.5" will take over the Phablet market. Brilliant.
  • Reply 49 of 193
    reiszrie wrote: »
    Absolutely untrue and this is coming from someone living in the "far east"
    Far East means China, Vietnam, Thailand or Japan? As far as I know, Apple destroyed Samsung in these countries.
  • Reply 50 of 193
    Ny
    sneath wrote: »
    We think alike. After my old Samsung TV died I bought an LG TV with webOS because Samsung has been a shamefull company for a few years now.

Only two more Samsung products left in my home, a Blu-Ray player and a PC monitor. Both will get replaced by an LG product once they stop working.
    my last Samsung was a DLP TV in 2007... The thing with defective chip with recall issued, but they refused to repair because it's over 2 years old. I bought a chip for $100 and repaired it myself. Since then, I promised never buy any Sansung product again. they're just a shameless company
  • Reply 51 of 193
    The saddest thing about Samsung's entire campaign is that they are simply not understanding that consumers no longer want "cheap" over "quality."

They will continue to lose this war because (1) they keep insulting the customers they want to get and (2) they keep building crappy products. Since Samsung just keeps copying Apple and then insulting the very same company they are copying, it is just burying their own company's credibility further.

Here's a tip, Samsung - if you want to compete with Apple there is only one way to do it - come out with a better product and make ads that celebrate why it is a great or better product. Just sticking to insults will further isolate the company and likely send your CEO back to the hospital with a heart attack yet again.
  • Reply 52 of 193
    fireblue wrote: »
    The one about streaming is funny. For all the hype and front page status this was a very poor stream. I got about 5 minutes throughout the whole event on a 40Mbit leased line. Maybe I should have watched at home on Apple TV?

Depends on your location. I had no trouble at all after about 30 minutes. It did came to a stop every now and then and would resume about a minute backwards. No problem, I just see them demoing something again. Strange thing is, my next door neighbour, [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] in Germany also suffered from a poor stream. While I'm on a mere 20Mb/s DSL...
  • Reply 53 of 193
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I watched all 6 ads. I thought they were excellent ads. Besides being funny they did what Samsung has failed to do until now, they attacked Apple, not their customers. These are more inline with the Mac v PC ads, especially the one with the guy freezing up during the live stream.

But the irony is they're still copying Apple with their ads.

I also think there's more to this below the surface. As consumers on the outside, we see the launch events and component leaks but Apple and Samsung develop products for years. Apple said the watch has been years in development. They buy components from the likes of Samsung, LG and so on. In order to make a first prototype, Apple has to order parts from LG or Samsung. Say that Apple orders a 1-2" display or designs a new S1 SoC and has it built by Samsung, doesn't that give them a big hint as to what they're working on?

I think all these suppliers have an idea of what competitors who are customers are working on well in advance. The iPhone was unique because nobody expected the software they had. Even knowing the parts they had, nobody expected it would be that good.

I reckon Samsung's strategy has been to monitor Apple's roadmap and try and beat them to the release. It's such an odd marketing angle to go with 'The Next Big Thing is already here' when you are a supplier for a competitor. The reason the strategy fails is because it means you run out of compelling upgrades faster. It's like the tortoise and the hare. Samsung has tried to race to be the first to give customers everything they want and now they have nothing left. What are they going to do to compete with the iPhone 6?

The Galaxy S Alpha that looks like last year's iPhone 5S:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/08/13/apple-iphone-6-vs-samsung-galaxy-alpha-2014s-biggest-smartphone-fight/

At least they're making a round watch:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-gearing-up-wearable-family-with-round-faced-smartwatch/

It doesn't take a genius to see where they copied that from.
  • Reply 54 of 193
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

Also, don't forget the one in which they insult the deceased Steve Jobs, keeping it classy.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/09/10/samsung-jobs-quote-big-phone/

I'm not sure how quoting him constitutes an insult, exactly...

I did think this quote in that link was "quizzical"...

"There’s more to a big screen smartphone than just all that extra real estate,” reads the message on the mini-site. In another jab at Apple, the message adds that “it’s what you do with it that matters most”.

Am I nuts, or does sound more like what Apple could say, than anything Samsung (or its users) has demonstrated?

btw, where are all the ads?   the only one I see here is the one in which the ridiculously long-armed geek snatches the phone...

• Reply 55 of 193
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    My blood hound says Samsung "Do I smell desperation" ? With large screen size available and rest that we loved about iPhone/IOS, I wouldn't buy any other phones especially android(crapware,no updates,malware,on and on) even my blood hound bites me or put gun on my head!!
  • Reply 56 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The sooner Apple can end using any Scamsung manufacturing the better. Apple need to put a large gap between itself and this heap of steaming turds and stop being one of Scamsungs main revenue streams.
  • Reply 57 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Ny
    my last Samsung was a DLP TV in 2007... The thing with defective chip with recall issued, but they refused to repair because it's over 2 years old. I bought a chip for $100 and repaired it myself. Since then, I promised never buy any Sansung product again. they're just a shameless company

My only Scamsung product is a fridge. I put an Apple sticker on it and kick it every time I walk past. :D
  • Reply 58 of 193

I too have a Samsung flatscreen TV - unfortunately.

MANY times, when using the built-in web browser does the bloody thing freeze and I have to switch off/on.

About twice a week I get a message on screen that there's another software update.

Often I get the message that the webbrowser has quit, and do I want to restore the last visited website ?

When I complained about this to the shop they said that this was a known problem and caused by the set not having enough RAM for the browser to use.   Of course, there's no way to add any RAM...

• Reply 59 of 193

The ads are great, IMO.  Very light weight and funny.  And I am a fanboy, but did sit through the Mac and PC days and enjoyed those to no end.

On the tech front, it is true that Apple is playing catchup a bit and has benefited from other companies innovating in this case.

• Reply 60 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sneath View Post

I definitely agree with you on the LG side. I have a few of their products and have no complaints. I even messed with the G3 for a little bit, it's actually not a bad phone. I wouldn't purchase it though because I'm definitely picking up the 6 Plus.