Samsung smartphone trade-in requests surge in wake of Apple's iPhone 6 announcements

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    moreck wrote: »
    <p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">No, "they're" is correct, as in "They are not the only ones."</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">"Their" indicates possession.</p>

Classical case of autocorrupt:

• Reply 62 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrismitu View Post

So it couldn't also be related to the release of new flagship phones by Sony, Motorola, Samsung including Samsung's own Note 4 a week before at IFA Berlin 2014?

They were announced, not released.

• Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, this could also mean that Samsung owners were waiting to see what Apple offered, and after having seen it, were disappointed, and are trading in their phones to buy new Samsung models which were also recently revealed.

That may not be a popular thought here, but it's certainly veey possible.

This is logical thinking, as logical as the people who switched to android because they wanted a larger screen, and now that apple is releasing larger screen phones they are switching back.

I had not thought of it this way before, seems fair to me. 

• Reply 64 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Uh...but Samsung new models of Note won't be released for another month, why would Samsung owners trade in their devices now unless it's for iPhone 6/6+?

And with no specific availability date even set that's a much larger leap than for a 6 where the first availability date is now fixed.

• Reply 65 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They were announced, not released.

Indeed, so people who like the "announcement" would simply be holding onto their phones until they HAD a release date certain. AS far as I can tell Gazelle, at least, isn't doing an extended price guarantee timed for the Sammy unknown date.

• Reply 66 of 79
    brianfrick wrote: »
    Grammar police: "But there not the only ones"

Sorted.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    dugbug wrote: »
    Now that's funny

Bender
  • Reply 68 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    512ke wrote: »
    "But I knew that there would be people here who wouldn't want to read that. You're the first. Congrats!"

Well my point was that it is a logical impossibility what you're suggesting.

It's nothing to do with my personal bias (although certain I have one lol).

It's more that even if someone wanted desperately to get their hands on the new Samsung stuff that was just announced, it would be literally impossible at this time.

Therefore to suggest that people are trading in their old Sammy phones for new unavailable Sammy gear is just not possible.

Sure, I'm pro Apple, but I'm also pro logic.  Peace :)

I suppose you didn't really pay attention to my whole post.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    With Samsung phones actual availability a month or more out (given "sometime in October...") Gazelle would have to be extending the same generous trade in window as they are for iPhone trade-ins and there's no certain knowledge even that would reach to when the new models may receivable. Are they? At least there's a date certain for the iPhones which is within even their standard 30 day price lock.

As I said, I just threw that out. It's a possibility, not a certainty.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    teepzo wrote: »

Your logic is sound, the reality is we will not know without more data.

While I personally dont think so, I have no data to back up that claim.

Shooting the "messenger" is so child like,  fandroids and isheep can only see what they want to...

Oh, look, I suppose if I added that I hope that's not what's going on, people would have left it alone, but I tried to be neutral about it, and look what happened.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    atlapple wrote: »
    When Apple provides more then 1GB of RAM then 64 bit might matter. We should also note that iOS 8 will copy several features that have been on Android for years. For those of us that really like Apple myself included it's just really hard not to give a member and post like that a beating. We have members that have been here for years that bashed anything that had a screen larger then 3.5 inches, now embracing 5.5 inches. It's pathetic. 

Liking the fit and finish of my MBA, iPad Air and iPhone 5s is valid. Enjoying the way they all work together is valid. When members start using stupid names acting as if companies are just going to fold when Apple is offering features both hardware and software that have been around for years is simply foolish. Sadly it doesn't get called out enough on this forum, if at all. 

Your 64 bit comment is valid and something Apple has offered before anyone else. 

I also expect now that Google, Apple and Samsung have decided to on some level try to work legal issues out instead of fighting all the time in court we will see features and hardware blend even more across companies and platforms. I would also be willing to bet Samsung will benefit down the road profiting parts in Apple products.  The reality is Samsung currently has the best panels compared to LG and others manufactures. 

As has been pointed out by Anandtech, and others, and as anyone who knows anything about how computers work, could have pointed out, you don't need more than 1Gb RAM to get advantages from moving to 64 bit. Yes, 4GB also has advantages, but moving to 2Gb doesn't really do much. Android does need more memory because of the poor multitasking model they use, but that's another story.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll look at that. I do have a grandfathered unlimited plan but what the heck, with competition heating up T-Mobile could be aggressive enough to be competitive. And I'd certainly get more for my 5s now than in march.

Just make sure you're in an area with good coverage from T-Mobile, as that's one of their biggest problems out of major population areas.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Uh...but Samsung new models of Note won't be released for another month, why would Samsung owners trade in their devices now unless it's for iPhone 6/6+?

Because the same companies that a month ago told iPhone owners that they could sign up for a trade in back then, for the money that was being offered then, and keep their phones until the new ones came out and they were able to obtain one, could apply the same benefit to Samsung users as well.

In other words, they could apply for a trade in now, and send the phones in when they new ones are out, and they have it.

I'm not saying that this is happening, I wish people would understand, just that it's possible.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Anecdotally only but I've heard several older folks mention they'll swap to Apple now as the only reason they had Scamsung phones in the first place was the size.

Totally! I've mentioned that some of my friends switched to large Samsung phones, and will now switch back. If I were an Android user I would have bought a larger phone two years ago. But I'm not fond of Android.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    chrismitu wrote: »
    So it couldn't also be related to the release of new flagship phones by Sony, Motorola, Samsung including Samsung's own Note 4 a week before at IFA Berlin 2014?

Certainly not because of Sony or Motorola, both of which are also rans with declining sales.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    melgross wrote: »
    Certainly not because of Sony or Motorola, both of which are also rans with declining sales.

FWIW Motorola is reportedly seeing a resurgence. Their Moto G has been particularly successful in recent months.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW Motorola is reportedly seeing a resurgence. Their Moto G has been particularly successful in recent months.

The latest stats show Motorola again losing marketshare here, which is their biggest market, though we'll have to see if Lenovo can do something useful with them.

While Motorola is claiming that it's their best selling smartphone ever, we need to see some numbers from them. They state that they SHIPPED 6.5 million smartphones globally in the first quarter of 2014. That's not a heck of a lot, and that's all models together.

Can't seem to find recent numbers for the quarter after that one from them.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gatorguy wrote: »

The Moto G is a low to mid range phone, sold cheap.

Not much money in it for Lenovo.