iPhone 6: First impressions after using Apple's "bigger than bigger" phone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113

I think Apple is way past due in changing the front of the iPhone, which has remained virtually identical since 1.0. That face looks absolutely outdated on the 6 Plus. Competitors have shrunk down the top and bottom bezels for a smaller overall height and quite frankly, a more desirable looking product. Why Apple feels the need to stick with the same round home button this entire time is beyond me. They could also trim down the top bezel by a good 10mm. Lastly, those wide plastic bands on the back of the phones are hideous. No way Jobs would have let that fly out the door. Despite my disappointment with the looks, I'll likely be purchasing the 6 Plus in the next month or two as I want to explore T-Mobile a bit more even though Verizon claims VoLTE is coming to their network too. 

• Reply 62 of 113
    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

I think Apple is way past due in changing the front of the iPhone, which has remained virtually identical since 1.0.

9/10; almost thought you were serious.

• Reply 63 of 113
    "Google's failed rollout of Wallet for Android, including security problems associated with its wide open implementation of NFC"

I think almost everyone knows that the reason why Google Wallet hasn't broken through is not because of security reasons but rather because carriers wanted to use their own system Isis (now Softcard) and actually blocked access to it. That was the main problem.
    F.e. Apple stressed the use of tokenization so no real personal information is send to the shop. Which is great. But Google Wallet uses a similar tokenization method, which I expect a lot of people might not be aware of. And since a year or so also supports HCE (and now solely so) meaning card details aren't stored on the device itself and eliminating the need for a physical secure element. The use of HCE should also get Google Wallet out of the strangle hold of carriers.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    Ill shop where they have apple pay..

Credit cards have had Nonsense security for years... Its unacceptable. This is clearly a cut above and MUCH harder to thwart.

Any stores that dont offer apple pay are going to look like morons since PAYING customers overwhelmingly use iphones.
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Function MUST come before looks... The bands on the phone are IRRELEVANT with cases.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

The thick lines (for antenna), I thought those would be thinner in the original iPhone. But they are as thick as how they were in the leaks.

I don't like that at all.  But will be buying iPhone 6. (Not Plus.)  :D

The appearance of those lines seems to vary greatly depending on the photo. In Apple's photos they appear more subtle and blend into the metal better. But in photos like the one in this article, they seem cheap and plasticky looking. Maybe it's just bad lighting?

We all get the reasons for the lines but it would be nice if they'd figured out a way to make them better match the surrounding anodized aluminum. Hopefully when we see them in person they'll look fine.

• Reply 67 of 113

Apple won't play the same sales games that Samsung and the carriers play- the iPhone's sell themselves.  Apple don't need to cut their prices to carriers, or slash prices/offer BOGO offers, or spiff employees of AT&T or Verizon to sell their products.  I think the likes of Samsung felt the sting of such practices in their past two financial calls- profits suffer.  The answer is to develop something people actually want to buy; something that's useful for more than showing pictures and messaging; and certainly something that's at least A LITTLE different than what's already out there.  Innovate, Samsung.  Maybe you'll create iPhone-like demand.

• Reply 68 of 113

That is true for the back, but cases will do nothing for the length of the phone except ADD a few more mm. 

• Reply 69 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoc View Post

Apple won't play the same sales games that Samsung and the carriers play- the iPhone's sell themselves.  Apple don't need to cut their prices to carriers, or slash prices/offer BOGO offers, or spiff employees of AT&T or Verizon to sell their products.  I think the likes of Samsung felt the sting of such practices in their past two financial calls- profits suffer.  The answer is to develop something people actually want to buy; something that's useful for more than showing pictures and messaging; and certainly something that's at least A LITTLE different than what's already out there.  Innovate, Samsung.  Maybe you'll create iPhone-like demand.

The problem with that is that Apple owns quality and user experience. Samsung's business model is to copy cheaply and add frivolous features to pad out the spec sheet. They are ill-suited to compete with Apple on their terms.

• Reply 70 of 113
    IPad may get absolutely hammered this year. If you can get away with a Phablet.... Mini is going to get killed.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

for those of us who like the 4" screen

i need to see 6, 6+ with an otter box or life proof case  to see how it fits my hand and pockets

reachability is an awesome INNOVATION  as is the landscape mode on the 6+  great UI   

I just need to see them in the "flesh"

and for those that use Mophie products----oh baby the bulk

now why can't the 5s get the new chip and THINNESS

i'd like a 5s the thickness of the 5th gen iPod touch

and hey lets bring apple pay to the 5s

AND

sapphire was to be in the 6 6+ and met with some attachment issues .......missed by "weeks"

do you think mid cycle sapphire upgrade????  they have all that sapphire ready to go

so maybe wait till 7 and 7+

• Reply 72 of 113

I don't think the phone sends anyone anything until the secure enclave is unlocked via Touch ID. Hence "drive by" scanners are a non-issue.

• Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Function MUST come before looks... The bands on the phone are IRRELEVANT with cases.

There's a plus, and that's that the bands are on the top/bottom edges and corners, which in turn means that you're less likely to scratch the aluminum back.

• Reply 74 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    I doubt the Android manufacturers are worried.  They'll do what they do best.  Cut prices to the bare minimum and on new tablets they'll just add even more features.  There's nothing Samsung won't do in order to beat Apple in smartphone and tablet market share.  Samsung's next Galaxy will have an even faster processor, greater display resolution, more camera pixels, etc. just to make the iPhone look bad in terms of specs.  It probably won't help Samsung sell a lot more smartphones but Samsung is not going down without a fight.
    I didnt talk about market share, but profit. Samsung can give Note out for free to dominate market share and Apple would care less. At the end of the day, who will pocket more money, matter. So far, it has been Apple and I dont see the difference this time.
  • Reply 75 of 113

Anyone know if the landscape home screen is across all of OS 8 or just triggered by the 6+

• Reply 76 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Anyone know if the landscape home screen is across all of OS 8 or just triggered by the 6+

Landscape and other iPad-like UI features are only on 6+, due to resolution and display size.

• Reply 77 of 113
    jpellino wrote: »

Landscape and other iPad-like UI features are only on 6+, due to resolution and display size.

If AI do a review of these iPhones, I would be most grateful if they would assess how easily they fit into the front pockets of jeans and trousers, and the inside pockets of suits.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If AI do a review of these iPhones, I would be most grateful if they would assess how easily they fit into the front pockets of jeans and trousers, and the inside pockets of suits.

“‘They don’t.’ End of assessment.” :p

• Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I don't think the phone sends anyone anything until the secure enclave is unlocked via Touch ID. Hence "drive by" scanners are a non-issue.

That would sound Apple like and I hope they do it that way.

But I haven't found any report on how Apple will do. Will absolutely wait until I know how it works.

• Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

That would sound Apple like and I hope they do it that way.

But I haven't found any report on how Apple will do. Will absolutely wait until I know how it works.

How he explains is pretty much how all NFC payment systems work (well not all touchID of course but a pin then). Google Wallet f.e. works with HCE which sends out tokens that are valid for only one transaction after confirming payment with pin. And although Apple doesn't use HCE but a secure element that part should be the same just locally generated. Not sure if small payments through the watch work that way though. Didn't I read somewhere that you didn't need to re-enter your pin as long as it detected skin contact?