Overnight preorders of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus set new record for Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple on Friday revealed that preorders for its 2014 iPhone lineup, which have only been available for less than 12 hours, reached a new overnight record, setting the stage for what could become its biggest-ever launch weekend once the devices become available Sept. 19.

iPhone 6, 6+

The company issued a statement to Re/code on Friday revealing the new record, but declining to say how many units have been pre-sold thus far. Preorders began overnight at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern, through Apple and its carrier partners.

"Response to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus has been incredible with a record number of preorders overnight," the company said.

Apple's carrier partner AT&T also spoke out on preorders earlier Friday in a statement to Fierce Wireless, in which CEO Ralph de la Vega indicated that his company had taken "hundreds of thousands of preorders" for the new iPhone models this morning.

"It's amazing to see the volume," he said, adding that the demand for the new models is topping last year's record breaking iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c launch.

iPhones 2014

Both the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus will find their way into the hands of customers in one week, on Friday, Sept. 19, in a total of nine countries: The U.S., Canada, the U.K., France, Germany, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan.

Last year, Apple set a new record, selling a total of 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units in the first weekend of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    So...next time can we get a noon launch instead of a midnight launch? We know the volume means it's going to be rocky for the first few hours. Why not have those first few hours be within normal business hours?
  • Reply 2 of 54

Record number of whiners, too.

• Reply 3 of 54
    Included an iPhone6 for me. Process was very smooth, no glitches at all.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    And i was expecting less spectacular results since i believe most will wait to actually see and feel the size of the new phone before they purchase ! Yet they broke records!
    Just imagine the sales when it actually shows up in stores !
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I checked AT&T's site, for a 16GB 6 in SG, it was a 21-35 business day wait. Verizon is at October 7th for the SG models apart from the 128GB option. Plus models are at like 4 weeks for all models on Apple's site.

I plan on going to my local store around 7:30 to be there when it opens at 8:00. I just hope they don't have some shenanigans, I just want the $60 single line plan, not a fancy "More everything" one, yet it wouldnt let me select that on their site.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

And i was expecting less spectacular results since i believe most will wait to actually see and feel the size of the new phone before they purchased ! Yet they broke records!

Just imagine the sales when it actually shows up in stores !

I imagine they are in physical Apple stores now. I wish I had the time to visit it today.

• Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I imagine they are in physical Apple stores now. I wish I had the time to visit it today.

No way.  They have to launch officially.  How else will they get on the news if they don't have people lined up around the block overnight?

• Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

No way.  They have to launch officially.  How else will they get on the news if they don't have people lined up around the block overnight?

Sorry! I wasn't clear. I thought one can see the device in the store. I didn't mean that one can buy one.

• Reply 9 of 54
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

So...next time can we get a noon launch instead of a midnight launch? We know the volume means it's going to be rocky for the first few hours. Why not have those first few hours be within normal business hours?

Why on earth would you want the rocky first hours to be when there are MORE people around to rockify them?

• Reply 10 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Damage them Apple. Show those iPhoneys who's king.

Although I would have loved a 4" 6c I'm happy for Apple.

These phones are too big for my taste might just get a 5s but I love photography So Im torn between the two.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And then this kind of thing will happen next week...

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/48713/width/400/height/800[/IMG]

A Sea of iPhone 5s's at a FedEx Shipping Facility last year.

(Can you find Wally?)
  • Reply 12 of 54
    jj.yuan wrote: »
    Sorry! I wasn't clear. I thought one can see the device in the store. I didn't mean that one can buy one.

Thry haven't "shipped" yet so we won't see them until the official release date. Theoretically they can have AppleWatch in stores today but this kills hype and anticipation.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    gtr wrote: »
    And then this kind of thing will happen next week...

A Sea of iPhone 5s's at a FedEx Shipping Facility last year.

Scamsung is gonna find a way to mock this situation in a new ad.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cali wrote: »

Environmental impact, you reckon?

That's a lot of dead trees there...

;)
  • Reply 15 of 54
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Totally unexpected! Who could have foreseen it?

...anyone else already laughing at the trolls from Tuesday claiming that Apple stock would never be above 100 again because the keynote was such a let down?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Is the circled one yours?

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Environmental impact, you reckon? That's a lot of dead trees there...

Remember the first iPhone? Back when telecoms had absolutely no clue how to handle a phone that was actually capable of getting to the REAL Internet? People received bills their first month that were 300 pages long…

• Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I am curious what Samsung will try to poke fun of now, though.  Apple just sucked the wind out of their sales.

Yes, I know it's "sails" but I like this spelling better in context.

• Reply 18 of 54
    jj.yuan wrote: »

I just called the store.. Nothing on display until the 19th
  • Reply 19 of 54

So whatever happened to the case with the cutout logo inserted?

• Reply 20 of 54
    allenbf wrote: »
    I am curious what Samsung will try to poke fun of now, though.  Apple just sucked the wind out of their sales.

Yes, I know it's "sails" but I like this spelling better in context.

They've made fun of Apple's good sales before. Remember that ad poking fun at how many people were waiting in line for the new iPhone?

I see them doing something stupid like showing delivery drivers having a hard time
    handling all the orders and Apple fans waiting for their package.
    "Apple is shipping in record numbers, you're package will arrive In 6 weeks. Why wait when the next big thing is already here..."