iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch

Comments

• Reply 161 of 222
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yes Tallest Ski, that analogy is incredibly rational. Because the difference between an iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and the difference between an iMac and a Mac Pro is exactly the same. A more apt analogy would be comparing 2 sizes of the iMac. But no, you had to say something ridiculous. Well done. 

The 6 Plus isn't some "special edition". It's marketed at an equal level to the 6. It's just another size. You're pulling the "they made fewer" out of your ass. You have no idea what the ratio is. 
    The 6+ isn't a special edition yet it has a better screen! and OIS something the 6 didn't get. Sales of that device may be artificially inflated because Apple chose to make it the better phone. I know people who really wanted the 4.7" screen but are getting 5.5" because of the camera. Or maybe there are some like me who might sit this one out and hope that next year the reasonable sized phone gets the same specs as the ridiculously big phablet does.
  • Reply 162 of 222
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's no such thing as a 17" Macbook Pro.

Gee, I wonder why that is. Maybe because people weren’t buying them.

And still, you have no clue what the iPhone size distribution is.

Nor you. It seems silly to suggest it’s 1:1 when you A. don’t know and B. have all their other product lines as proof they don’t do this, as well as the history of the products in this category.

And never once did I say they're making the SAME # of both models, so stop beating a strawman.

Ah, I guess that’s what “I bet it isn’t even 2:1” means. And saying something once isn’t “beating.”

If you knew how to read, you'd see I said MARKETED equally.

Yep. That has nothing to do with what we’re discussing.

…I have a pretty good idea of how Apple operates…

Which is why it’s confusing when you say something so obviously off base as you did above.

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

Or you are both right and they made fewer of the iPhone 6 Plus units, however they still made a crap load of them and sold them all. They obviously made a ton of both phones and still have a ton of phones that are waiting to be sold-out in retail channels.

This is the only answer.

Originally Posted by tomdri View Post

Apple and AT&T are a bunch if incompetent idiots. They knew there would be a huge amount of orders for the iPhone 6 and they failed.

Okay. Shut up and go away forever, please.

• Reply 163 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see that as a good solution and was very happy Apple didn't use it even though I had no idea of what a better solution could be. Apple's solution doesn't shrink anything, which defeats the purpose of a larger display, it moves down for a total of one tap. Now the double rap of the Touch ID sensor to activate it seems suspect but this is an area Apple tends to excel so I'll try it out before coming to a conclusion on whether it's natural or not.

There's actually a Cydia tweak which i got for my 5s, allows you turn button presses into taps on the touch ID instead.

• Reply 164 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's no chance in hell of that happening. It won't even be 2:1. 

I ordered the 6+ a couple hrs after pre-orders started. It says shipping in 3-4 weeks. I just tried pre-ordering a 4.7" now. It says 7-10 business days. So, either they made an extremely small amt of the larger one (doubtful), or, they've sold a shitload of them. 

One thing I will say is that their strategy is genius. Not long ago everyone was babbling on about how Apple is screwed because phones are becoming commoditized (ie. dirt cheap Android phones, decent nexus phones for 1/2 price of an iPhone, etc). And now, not only has Apple NOT decreased their pricing, but they have the audacity to sell a model that starts at $299 on contract- and it will probably sell a shitload, rasing the average ASP. Again, Apple goes against the grain and shows there's another way, beyond a race to the bottom, and that a fuckload of people ARE willing to pay premium prices for smartphones. 

I suspect that there is a pent up demand for this phone right now and the supply was limited.  Very few people reported that they got a 9/18 delivery date on the Plus.   Once the initial demand is covered, I think it will work down to a 10:1 ratio.  The main reason is that women do not typically like a phone this big and they are 1/2 the market...

• Reply 165 of 222
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

The main reason is that women do not typically like a phone this big and they are 1/2 the market...

“But but but but but but but they’ll just put it in their purse!”

• Reply 166 of 222
    sranger wrote: »
    The main reason is that women do not typically like a phone this big and they are 1/2 the market...

My mother always carries a purse, is hyperopic (farsighted), and her dexterity isn't sublime so I suggested she wait until the 19th to got test the different sizes in an Apple Store.

I'm even holding off on buying until I test the sizes even though I'm pretty certain the 5.5" is way too big for me.
  • Reply 167 of 222
    Having worked in wireless sales when the Note originally launched, I can tell you that we saw more women buying the note than men

-PopinFRESH
  • Reply 168 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The 6+ isn't a special edition yet it has a better screen! and OIS something the 6 didn't get. Sales of that device may be artificially inflated because Apple chose to make it the better phone. I know people who really wanted the 4.7" screen but are getting 5.5" because of the camera. Or maybe there are some like me who might sit this one out and hope that next year the reasonable sized phone gets the same specs as the ridiculously big phablet does.

The diversity of opinion is wider than your imagination: I know people who really wanted OIS but got the 4.7" screen because the 5.5" is too big. And my "I know people" can beat your "I know people" in any contest. :p 

• Reply 169 of 222
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And my "I know people" can beat your "I know people" in any contest. :p 

Except a “whose phone is biggest?” contest.

• Reply 170 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You accidentally the verb.

LOLOLOLOLOL!   Got caught up excitement !  oops!

• Reply 171 of 222
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy

And never once did I say they're making the SAME # of both models, so stop beating a strawman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, I guess that’s what “I bet it isn’t even 2:1” means. And saying something once isn’t “beating.”

Yeah, this is what I mean, your belligerence, even when you don't understand the original post, you insist on "calling me out.  “I bet it isn’t even 2:1”, if you're not aware, absolutely does not mean they're making the SAME amount, which is what all your posts have been accusing me of saying. It could be 1.8:1. Or 1.5:1. Or 1.25:1. It's not a damn binary. I was stating that I doubt they're making DOUBLE the smaller size- it could very well be more than the larger one, but my opinion is that it's not double. I may be wrong, or I may be right. But you twisted by original posts in order to mock me and claim I'm hilariously wrong. Again, you have no fucking clue what the ratio is. All I'm saying is that I think it's between 1:1 and 1:2, which is a pretty large range. 

It would be nice if you ever admitted you were wrong, at least in terms of comprehension of the posts of others. I don't want to start anything with you, but you insist on always having the last word no matter how flawed your premise is. I know you despise large phones, but that is utterly irrelevant to anything. 

• Reply 172 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I don't think that would be a good idea. It would make the phones too big.

ya think?

• Reply 173 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I would've liked to order both at the same time and get it all over with in one swoop. I guess they want the iPad to kill what little press other companies will get in-between now and when the iPad releases.

yes. unlikely apple will combine the iPhone and iPad announcements -- they can stand on their own and deliver twice the press.

• Reply 174 of 222
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    popinfresh wrote: »
    Having worked in wireless sales when the Note originally launched, I can tell you that we saw more women buying the note than men

-PopinFRESH

Last year I was told by one of the phone salespeople more women than men bought the 6.3" Galaxy Mega. The assumption that the 5.5" 6+ (that's a misnomer if I ever saw one) will only appeal to big men may be inaccurate.
  • Reply 175 of 222
    The haters are not going to be happy tomorrow when Apple announces the sales figures. I can hear it already:

"Those were sales of the 5C, 5S and 6 combined. Most people bought the older iPhone 5C because it was free and the 5S because it was on sale. The 6 didn't sell."

So any predictions? I'm going with 12 million, a significant jump from last years 9 million.
  • Reply 176 of 222
    I don't really care about one hand operation, because I was lucky enough to have been  born with two of them.

Soon one of my wrists will be decorated with an Apple Watch with which to control my 'oversized' iPhone, and life will be good.
  • Reply 177 of 222
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Last year I was told by one of the phone salespeople more women than men bought the 6.3" Galaxy Mega. The assumption that the 5.5" 6+ (that's a misnomer if I ever saw one) will only appeal to big men may be inaccurate.

A lot of men still seem to be ignorant about the fact women carry purses. I've seen plenty of petite to large women pulling out very large phones that fit in their purses with ease.
  • Reply 178 of 222
    A lot of men still seem to be ignorant about the fact women carry purses. I've seen plenty of petite to large women pulling out very large phones that fit in their purses with ease.
    On the flipside, there are a lot of women that go out at night wearing slim fitting dresses/formal attire and carrying clutches (small handheld purses for those that don't know) for which the 6+ likely wouldn't fit into so size is still important. Also many women like putting their phones in their back pocket for which the 6+ (and maybe even the 6) may also not fit into.
  • Reply 179 of 222
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Some people are severely underestimating the female species in this thread.

I agree with those who have said that many women will opt for the 6+. The 5.5" model is not just for big guys or people with enormous hands! On the contrary, most men have their phones in their pockets, while many women have their phones in their bags or purses! It's far easier for a woman to carry around a 5.5" phone than it is for a man!

Have you ever seen the mess of items that many women carry around in their purses? Having a 5.5" phone that weighs 6 ounces in there wont make much of a difference. I guess that it could also double as a large make up mirror!

• Reply 180 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Apple should double the size of their phones next year so they sell twice as many again...

A bigger screen can sound enticing, but I think you'd find that for those who put their iPhones in pockets, they would be put off by that big a phone.