iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, I believe that I pointed that out in post #55.

Sorry about that. I came late to this party and just scanned the previous posts.

• Reply 102 of 222
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm just afraid a 5.5" iPhone will hurt iPad sales. 

I doubt that. But even if true, then that's great news! The margins on the 5.5" are greater than for an iPad Mini I'm pretty sure.

The 5.5" is pretty large for a phone, but it's still small compared to a tablet.

Crappy pic, I know, but I was surprised at this.

and as iOS and hardware mature, I have to agree with cali - 

I don't much enjoy using my current iPhone browser or as a book reader,

but it's getting there:

AppleMark

oops, on the left is an iPad mini, if it isn't obvious?

• Reply 103 of 222
    Quote:

Just wait until the rave reviews start coming out!

I am sure the smart people will do exactly that. I certainly understand the desire to get the new phone as soon as possible but the practical side of me thinks that is rather foolish. Between two new designs and iOS 8 I think it is much smarter to wait out the initial production runs and let any major bugs get worked out.

Plus, I think it likely that as Apple starts getting data in on problems with the new phones that they could make silent changes on the physical design to minimize hardware problems, etc. I think the sweet spot for ordering a iPhone 6 will be early spring.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the phone is going to be unusually problematic. But Apple will find issues after a few million get in customers hands and while these issues will probably be minor with software fixing most of them, they might also find tweaks to hardware that they want to make for long term reliability.

-kpluck

• Reply 104 of 222
    Not sure how they had it, but I saw someone with an iPhone 6 in San Jose today.
  • Reply 105 of 222
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Not sure how they had it, but I saw someone with an iPhone 6 in San Jose today.

Nah. Unless it was Craig. :p

• Reply 106 of 222
    Nah. Unless it was Craig. :p

I didn't recognize either the woman with it, or her husband. Initially I thought it might be a copy, but it sure as hell looked like one. Took this picture, admittedly at full zoom on my iPhone 5s, since I didn't want her to wonder why the hell I was taking a picture of her.

• Reply 107 of 222

I didn't recognize either the woman with it, or her husband. Initially I thought it might be a copy, but it sure as hell looked like one. Took this picture, admittedly at full zoom on my iPhone 5s, since I didn't want her to wonder why the hell I was taking a picture of her.

Holy crap. Definitely an Apple employee, then.

• Reply 108 of 222
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Now there's a missed opportunity to take the thing out of her bag when she wasn't looking...

You'll never get a job at Gizmodo.

(>_<)

• Reply 109 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, ridiculous implementation (makes all the hit targets smaller too

As small as the hit targets would be on a 4s or 5s perhaps?

The nitpicking on this point is descending to ridiculous levels.  You would think someones life depended on it.   It smacks of annoyance that Apple wasn't first to address the issue.

My son has an LG G2 and that has features to adapt certain of the UI features to one-handed operation.

• Reply 110 of 222
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What was that woman with the iPhone 6 taking a picture of?

It sure seems like they wanted to show their phone off, since they were exposing it for all to see.

And yeah, I guess that must be some sort of Apple employee maybe, but it still seems strange.

• Reply 111 of 222

Why are people posting videos of crappy Android phones in this thread? To show how you embarrassingly need two hands to use the one handed feature?

Who gives a shit about Android phones?

This is all about the new iPhones. Nobody cares about people posting Android videos in this thread. Only a fool would ever buy any Android phone, especially after these new iPhones have arrived.

• Reply 112 of 222
    I use both hands a lot for my iPhone 5S and have with previous models, especially in bed overhead. Not sure why it's a big deal.
  • Reply 113 of 222
    She was taking a picture of her kid.

She was in a room of about 15 people, and in the Bay Area it's a good bet half of them would be in the tech industry and likely to know what the phone was.

She and her husband didn't seem a but concerned about being seen with it.
  • Reply 114 of 222
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why can't you use your thumb? Apparently all it needs is a quick swipe from the bezel part way across and a quick swipe back and off the bezel again. I'd imagine a thumb can do that easily enough.

In any event it doesn't matter really. No regular member here is going to buy a Samsung phablet anyway. The original mention was only prompted by a comment GTR made. It's clear that Apple's way of handling the problem is very much different but others have already tried to address the issue with their own solutions.

So are you willing to admit Apple's implementation is superior (which doesnt change the horizontal positioning of all elements, or make hit boxes smaller, or is easy to accidentally activate, and only brings the areas that are most difficult to hit into view)? Or to you, are both implementations just "different" but equally well thought out?

• Reply 115 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Why are people posting videos of crappy Android phones in this thread? To show how you embarrassingly need two hands to use the one handed feature?

Who gives a shit about Android phones?

This is all about the new iPhones. Nobody cares about people posting Android videos in this thread. Only a fool would ever buy any Android phone, especially after these new iPhones have arrived.

The one I posted showed someone using the one handed feature one-handed.

Only a fool and a snob would make stupid judgements about people based solely on what they choose to buy.

• Reply 116 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Only a fool and a snob would make stupid judgements about people based solely on what they choose to buy.

Posting videos of Android phones in an iPhone thread on an Apple site is like posting pictures of Rosie Mcdonald in a thread that is about supermodels! 

• Reply 117 of 222
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So are you willing to admit Apple's implementation is superior...
    Slurpy I've said as much at least two rimes in this thread already. I swear some folks see only what they want to.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Since it's not enabled by default it certainly requires more initial effort to set up than Apple's solution. From video presentations of it II like the way it's done on the 6+. If it works just as well in practice users will appreciate it.

gatorguy wrote: »
    No doubt that Apple's solution will be the better one. . .
  • Reply 118 of 222
    edit: Pipped by GG.
  • Reply 119 of 222
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Here's a random question.

I meant to order two identical sixes at 64 GB, but apparently, in the predawn excitement I got a 64 and a 128. Of course, the 128 is connected to my Wife's number. Can I just switch the SIMs and then activate as if nothing else happened, or is there more to it than that. (Or is there less--maybe it won't matter at all?)

I believe you have to activate both as received FIRST and then you can switch the SIMs afterwards.

• Reply 120 of 222
    I didn't pre order this year as I actually want to try them both in my hands first, since they are a considerable departure from past iPhones. At work it seems an even split between the two sizes. However, several people are going to pick up the 5S at a lower price. Makes sense as the 5S is still a great phone.

Bottom line is that Apple now has devices at multiple size points to cater to everyone. They are going straight at the Android venders who have been "left alone" in the market of larger devices, while still having a virtual monopoly on small screened premium phones.

You better believe the Android vendors are worried. Now they have serious competition from Apple where previously they only competed among themselves. Gee, kinda sounds like when Apple first entered the phone market.