Samsung calls Apple's iPhone 6 Plus a Galaxy Note imitation in new ad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Thought this was mildy amusing

That just shows what actual engineering can do.

• Reply 122 of 206
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Every year a new one is released?

Um no. Bigger, faster, stronger isn't a spec listing. 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, etc is. That being said, I know MP is used for the camera but that's because the average joe knows digital cameras that way.
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Would they have made a big screen phone if that spec didn't matter?
    Yes. Once they got the user experience, weight, performance, etc, to their liking, they went with it. But it's the whole package and not an individual spec that drives its products.
  • Reply 123 of 206

That just shows what actual engineering can do.

You forgot the word 'social'. It's amazing what you can get people to like that they once ridiculed, and hated.
  • Reply 124 of 206
    jungmark wrote: »
    Yes. Once they got the user experience, weight, performance, etc, to their liking, they went with it. But it's the whole package and not an individual spec that drives its products.

Yet many are bragging that the bigger screen is the driving force behind the increase in preorders.
  • Reply 125 of 206
    mazda 3s wrote: »

It might be bias but as TS states there is engineering involved here. For starters, the Note 3's display is 0.2" longer on the diagonal. That might not seem like much but I think that's nearly 7.5% more display area. But that's a moot point because it's not about the size of the display, but rather the size of the device.

The iPhone 6 Plus has a box volume of (158.1 mm × 77.8 mm × 7.1 mm) 87,331 mm<sup>3</sup> while the Note 3's box volume is (151.2 mm × 79.2 mm × 8.3 mm) 99,393 mm<sup>3</sup> which is nearly a 14% larger device. Surprisingly the Note 3 has a 2% lower weight than the 6 Plus despite the Note 3's battery being much larger. I assume that's due to the materials used because it's definitely a much larger device.

Then you have a usability feature Apple hasn't adopted for the first time since the iPhone 3GS is a rounded edge which will help make the device sit in the thenar eminence more deeply and comfortably which should lead to a longer stretch on a smaller display. Note the Note 3 is very squared off and the new iPhones are much more rounded (even on the glass) than any previous iPhone.

Finally you have Reachability for those moments you have to hit that top bar for something and don't want to move your hand placement. I have yet to test this feature so I can't say that it's effective but it definitely appears to be much better than the display shrinking offered by Samsung.
  • Reply 126 of 206
    I didn't know Samsung was shipping devices with 64 bit software and 64 chips- if that's the case, then Apple's definitely copying Samsung.
  • Reply 127 of 206
    Its a pretty poor way to promote your product really.

Times move on, and if consumers respond to a new space well then it will be filled with products.

Well done to Samsung for finding a market. Well done to Apple for conceding that it is needed.
  • Reply 128 of 206
    When you have nothing positive to say about yourself, the only recourse is to tear down the opponent. Negative campaigning works. Ask the GOP.
  • Reply 129 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Question 1: How could Apple release a phone of ANY size without Samsung claiming that they just copied what they did?

Question 2: When will Samsung be copying Apple by releasing a large phone so popular that it takes out, not only their own ordering systems, but that of carriers as well?

This image needs to be quotes, because it truly says it all. Until this point, Apple has released ONE new phone a year, at ONE size. They're already on their 6th generation of smartwatch, and no doubt will be on their 8th or so by the time the Apple Watch comes out. With this business model, it's pretty much impossible they won't typically be "first" with most aspects, when you're throwing all the shit you can at the way. Is it relevant? No. Besides enabling some weak ads that will have little impact, being "first" is as meaningless as who was "first" with mp3 players. In this case it's even worse, as its only about screen size, which Samsung is somehow pretending is a "feature" they developed.

I guess by that definition, my Macbook Air is pretty pathetic, because it has the same screen size as laptops from 20 years ago? Samsung is attempting to squeeze every drop out of the "size" angle while they can- and I can't fault them for that, cause its pretty much all they have. 

• Reply 130 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't agree. The Asian markets--particularly China--are where smartphone growth is at. It was a shrewd move on Tim's part. While the phablet craze does not suit my tastes or needs, I believe that by caving to the Asian market, Apple is eliminating the biggest and most obvious criticism of the iPhone from that market: screen size.

This is business. Look at Buick, a shitty brand that sells rebadged Chevys, but when GM went bankrupt and closed down Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer, they kept the Buick brand because the Chinese love Buicks for cultural/historic reasons.

This is going to happen more and more, so get used to it.

Dude, I understand business. My comment was a reflection of what I feel as an existing apple fan.

• Reply 131 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Please...if Steve had his way, iTunes and iPod would have been Mac only.

If the majority of Asian smartphone buyers (allegedly) like large phones, then why shouldn't Apple go after them? It's not like they just expanded the size.

And what about existing Iphone users who have spent crazy lots of money to create Apple ecosystems at there home/ office and prefer not to hold a toast to their ear. I cant believe 5S is the end to a decent sized phone.

I don't disagree with phablets or large phones. They need to look at existing users too.

• Reply 132 of 206

That's really funny from the ones that COPIED Apple's iPhone and iPad. The only thing similar to a Samsung device is a bigger size, that's it.

And Apple has come out with that bigger size after many before it. Samsung is scared because now, they have nothing to offer with there junk.

Galaxy sales were below expectations before, wait till after the iPhone 6 and 6 plus hit the market on Friday. I think Apple already has more pre-order sales than Galaxy ever had even after shipping. Well it's gonna get worse for you copycat!

• Reply 133 of 206
    I just tweeted the following:

@SamsungMobile stole #phablet concept from Dell's Streak phablet, #nextstolenthing
  • Reply 134 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Name me another company that sells a premium phone at 4 inches and sells tens of millions?

There is none.

Bottom line is the majority of people want phones larger than 4 inches.

You seriously think the world's most valuable company did not research this?  What next?  Will  you begging for a 3 inch phone?

First of, no one's begging. Keep the conversation respectful.

I agree when you say there's no other company like Apple and there's no match to their products.

There are also users who choose Iphone because its easy single hand use. We expect 5S not to be end of that line.

I'm sorry if you don't get it, I'm not the enemy here.

• Reply 135 of 206
    This is funny because just wait till, and I know it's "just wait", but wait till we have the OS and the iOS working together seamlessly. At that point it will be "so your Android phone with what laptop/desktop?" Linux? Windows? 8 or 7? can you even put 7 on a Surface? Good luck with your eco-system. While we live in our malware/extort ware free eco-secure-system...
  • Reply 136 of 206
    These were the people that said "Now hold on just a second! Apple doesn't have exclusive rights to the metal framed, multitouch, black glass front, rounded edged, rectangular with home button form factor! Look at them! They want to patent a rectangle!", and now they have the gall to say they had the original idea of the concept of bigness. Bravo.
  • Reply 137 of 206
    It is funny how everybody apple is saying that apple is better than Samsung but not Sony, HTC and other manufactures. No other manufactures are on their levels now. Samsung have been making the display and the processor for apple products for the past years. The more sales Apple make, the more money Samsung make. As for copying, everyone is stealing each others ideas. Apple was also found guilty of copying Samsung features. Samsung doesn't have to worry about their phone sales because they do manufacturing and have other products and contracts with other companies. Apple on the other end cant afford that. They have nothing else to rely on. I am sure both companies could care less if no one on this blog buy their because they have the money power for that. Ya'll know if Apple or Samsung took a crap and call it " Innovation", everyone will jump in the bandwagon and buy it.
  • Reply 138 of 206
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yet many are bragging that the bigger screen is the driving force behind the increase in preorders.

Who's saying that? Analysts? Hahahaha. It may be a factor to lore Fandroids but I doubt it's the driving force. The driving force is a New iPhone.
  • Reply 139 of 206
    Samsung's shamelessness knows no bounds.
  • Reply 140 of 206
    sog35 wrote: »
    Name me another company that sells a premium phone at 4 inches and sells tens of millions?

There is none.

Bottom line is the majority of people want phones larger than 4 inches.

You seriously think the world's most valuable company did not research this?  What next?  Will  you begging for a 3 inch phone?

So you ditch what's successful for you to do something that has been successful for someone else?