Apple to limit iPhone 6 NFC to Apple Pay, restrict developer access

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
According to a report on Monday, Apple is restricting developer access to the NFC module found in the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, limiting the component to first-party Apple Pay services only.

While Apple's new iPhone 6 lineup is the first to incorporate near-field communications hardware, it seems the company will keep the component on lockdown as it makes an entrance into secure digital payments with Apple Pay.

An Apple spokesperson told Cult of Mac that developers will not be able to access NFC chip APIs this year, meaning the component is included in the iPhone 6 as a dedicated payments solution component. Apple is likely employing a "go slow" approach to NFC as the technology, and its security, is a vital cog in the Apple Pay system.

Competing smartphone manufacturers like Samsung use NFC for quick device pairing, data transport and other functions. For its part, Apple has a higher-bandwidth stand-in with the iBeacon protocol, which harnesses Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi for fast recognition and rich data throughput.

While there are no plans to release the appropriate NFC module APIs to developers, Apple could open up access in the future as the technology matures within the iOS ecosystem. For example, iOS 8 now allows developer access to the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, which was first introduced with the iPhone 5s in 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Good idea. Steady as she goes.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Sensible otherwise there would be nothing to stop PayPal etc from using the NFC chip for their own payment app.

Apple clearly intends to dominate the market for IOS mobile payments and this makes perfect sense

Remember every iphone 6 sold in the US will almost certainly already have a compatible credit card linked itunes account and so be set up for Apple Pay from day 1

That's an incredibly friction free way to get the system out into the real world

If it's already on your new phone and the banks etc will be advertising the system in stores, it would be pretty hard to resist trying it out, and then your a user!
  • Reply 3 of 64

This kills NFC in iPhone for Japan, thanks Apple.

• Reply 4 of 64
    Makes sense. I think the biggest competitive advantage that Apple has over Android (among many other attributes) is security and identity protection. They should keep this as secure as possible. Even if developer access was granted and was beyond secure, it could be perceived as being otherwise.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    luinil wrote: »
    - Japan feeling left out in technology...who would have thought that day would come.
  • Reply 6 of 64

Or maybe let's go with the obvious here.  It may open up a bit in a year.  Think a year ago using the TouchID for iTunes purchases only.  Apple does like to keep new things smaller as it works on bugs or implementation getting things right.

• Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luinil View Post

I bet carriers like Softbank and Docomo will probably work with Apple on something that will integrate Suica and Pasmo into Apple Pay.

• Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomato201 View Post

I bet carriers like Softbank and Docomo will probably work with Apple on something that will integrate Suica and Pasmo into Apple Pay.

If it is possible yes, but Suica and Pasmo depend of the felica standards, and iPhone's NFC might not support them so we need to see what is possible.

I've been waiting for NFC to get rid of the 4-5 NFC cards I have (and use) but I guess it wont be for the next year.

• Reply 9 of 64
    Excellent! Keep ApplePay to Apple. No monkeying around with 3rd party apps using NFC. No hassle on malicious apps and such.

How do you figure?

edit: I see you already explained right above my post. Yep, well, same here; I'm not expecting Apple Pay in my country anytime soon. Like many of Apple tech, like iTunes Radio, everything will see a slow rollout. Just the way things are, and for good reason.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Excellent! Keep ApplePay to Apple. No monkeying around with 3rd party apps using NFC. No hassle on malicious apps and such.

How do you figure?

Because NFC is pretty much already used anywhere, and I don't see people changing the system they uses now, especially since it's integrated with the train system, for Apple pay.

• Reply 11 of 64
    I smell an antitrust suit on the horizon.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The picture above doesn't show that protruding camera.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    So in the keynote last week, it was mentioned that Starwood hotels would allow customers to pay via Apple Pay and would be able to "wave Apple Watch in front of the door and unlock it"

From that statement, it think its obvious that NFC APIs are coming if not this year, then as an update when Apple Watch is released or when iOS 9 drops.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    I think Apple Pay is still compatible with all of the major contact free payment solutions so this is a non-issue in the US, and I think the global rollout will be fast and smooth since Apple already has a partnership in place with VISA and MC.

At Apple's website it says you can use ApplePay at any POS terminal with this logo, which is the common logo for contact-less payments used by the big 3 card companies.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/48925/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 15 of 64
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

For example, iOS 8 now allows developer access to the Touch ID fingerprint scanner

That's not true. Developers do not have access to the scanner. Apple simply added TouchID to their Keychain service. So once a developer uses the Keychain to store passwords, it will allow their users to authenticate using TouchID.

• Reply 16 of 64
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Because NFC is pretty much already used anywhere, and I don't see people changing the system they uses now, especially since it's integrated with the train system, for Apple pay.

Wouldn't that just make them compatible with ApplePay?
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Wouldn't that just make them compatible with ApplePay?

The terminals might be compatible with ApplePay, but Suica, Pasmo, Nanaco, Eddy, etc... All the existing solutions that could have been integrated into the iPhone (depending of the NFC technology used for the iPhone) won't be, and so Apple pay will just be another NFC payement system that doesn't add much compared to what we already have. Especially since some of those solutions are already usable on android phones (nanaco and suica for example).

• Reply 18 of 64
    Wondering whether it would be possible to withdraw money from ATM? That would be very nice.
    rkanaga wrote: »
    Sensible otherwise there would be nothing to stop PayPal etc from using the NFC chip for their own payment app.

Apple clearly intends to dominate the market for IOS mobile payments and this makes perfect sense

Remember every iphone 6 sold in the US will almost certainly already have a compatible credit card linked itunes account and so be set up for Apple Pay from day 1

That's an incredibly friction free way to get the system out into the real world

If it's already on your new phone and the banks etc will be advertising the system in stores, it would be pretty hard to resist trying it out, and then your a user!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    philboogie wrote: »
    How do you figure?

edit: I see you already explained right above my post. Yep, well, same here; I'm not expecting Apple Pay in my country anytime soon. Like many of Apple tech, like iTunes Radio, everything will see a slow rollout. Just the way things are, and for good reason.

Same here in Germany. For ?Pay to take hold, Apple would have to work with the different banks and debit/PIN cards. Credit cards are rarely used here.

Considering that Apple has a very low share of smartphone use here (~16%), I doubt they would roll out anything that l0oks like they're picking favorites. So unfortunately... unless Google/Android... or even Microsoft/Nokia...can get on the ball and release similar secure solutions, I don't expect to be seeing ?Pay being accepted any time soon.

*** looking at the GlobalPlatform alliance members that Apple recently joined, I couldn't find one major German company listed other than Infineon. TÜV SÜD-Japan is in the alliance, but not TÜV-Süd-Global or Germany. TÜV-Süd is very similar to UL if anyone is curious.

*** If the rest of the world saw what authorized "IRS acceptable" (Finanzamt) bank statements look like here in Germany, they would also see why I don't expect German banks to innovate or change unless they absolutely must.

Those are dot-matrix printed sheets roughly 1/3 Letter-size and must be printed out at a bank terminal or sent to you via post at an extra cost. A business like mine will have some 100 sheets a month to collate with invoices and billing statements, sometimes with only one line item info, up to 4 or 5 on a page. Below is not mine BTW. Just one of many that look like mine, when searching images for 'kontoauszug".

Not like this adds anything relevant to the topic... just to point out how backwards banks are here.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Am I reading it correctly that the NFC is being restricted to Apple pay only? Why cripple NFC functionality to just the payment side?