Apple Pay sparks inter-bank battle to be consumers' default choice

Comments

• Reply 61 of 165
    How about no default choices? Apple Pay doesn’t exist to whore your device out to banks for new customers. It exists to take whatever system you already have and digitize it securely.

There's nothing wrong with a default bank if you have numerous accounts. The default will surely be able to be changed. The point of the rush is because banks realize that the system will be so easy that people will tend not to change the card that they use.
  • Reply 62 of 165
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Would be interesting though if Apple can leverage this like 'coin'   You put all your cc's info into your iPhone, then can specify which card to use in certain situations...   Card A for gas purchase, Card B for airline tix, etc etc and users can easily automate maximizing their perks without having to tote 10 cards around

I'd like a debit card type option for aPay. These are popular in the UK / Canada. Not sure about the US. Basically upon swiping the money is transferred directly from the bank to the merchant. It makes managing cash on a daily basis much simpler.

added: It would for instance be great if kids / teenagers / young adults could check their bank balance and if funds were available use their iPhone to make purchases. Credit cards are not great for the above demographic.

• Reply 63 of 165

So I'm a little confused on who exactly can use this.

Apple said MC and Visa are on board with credit AND debit, and then they listed some banks. Does that mean only these banks listed can use it, or will any debit card with a MC or Visa logo can use it?

I have a credit union, and they are usually slow to adopt technological advancements. Will that card be left out of the mix until they catch up?

Of course, as I post this after coming back from lunch, I see the answer above me. :/

• Reply 64 of 165
    mervynyan wrote: »
    Why can't Apple sell a prepaid card and top up from bank accounts directly? Such as London Osytercard and Hong Kong Octopus card? Apple is not creative enough, I'd keep my American Express to swipe.

In all honesty, I don't think that Apple wants to be in that business (heavy regulated) and compete with the banks ... yet.
  • Reply 65 of 165

Some have suggested that banks are reticent to hand over consumer data to Google, whose main business is advertising;

No Shit!:smokey:

• Reply 66 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post

Why can't Apple sell a prepaid card and top up from bank accounts directly? Such as London Osytercard and Hong Kong Octopus card? Apple is not creative enough, I'd keep my American Express to swipe.

AmEx is signed up for ?Pay.

• Reply 67 of 165
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    In all honesty, I don't think that Apple wants to be in that business (heavy regulated) and compete with the banks ... yet.

...and there's already an Apple Bank anyway. ;)
    https://www.applebank.com/

Now how they get away the name and logo I've no idea.
  • Reply 68 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and there's already an Apple Bank anyway. image

Well, this might be how they "get away" with it. Because, you know, Apple Inc. was first at everything right? :no:

The first branch of Apple Bank opened its doors in Harlem at 1948 Third Avenue (between 125th and 126th Streets) on April 17, 1863.

• Reply 69 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why is the Google Wallet not already consumers preferred choice?

If you missed it, its because Google is in the advertising business and well known to take personal data for their own purposes. But I do agree that for any platform to succeed it needs to be available to the majority of consumers so basically iOS, Android, Windows, BB, etc compatible.

• Reply 70 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Well, this might be how they "get away" with it. Because, you know, Apple Inc. was first at everything right? :no:

The first branch of Apple Bank opened its doors in Harlem at 1948 Third Avenue (between 125th and 126th Streets) on April 17, 1863.

Yeah, tell that to Apple records! Heh. But also Apple is usually first to do it Right! ;)

• Reply 71 of 165
    Retail Payments (and Apple)%u2014The Reality ... http://bit.ly/1nSA1Zl
  • Reply 72 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

Yeah, tell that to Apple records! Heh. But also Apple is usually first to do it Right! ;)

Won't disagree with you that Apple usually is first to do it right. Not always but a good amount.

• Reply 73 of 165
    Quote:

Why is the Google Wallet not already consumers preferred choice?

Because Google has nothing comparable to TouchID

• Reply 74 of 165
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'd like a more sophisticated solution to be adopted next year.

I tend to use different cards with different retailers, which is almost always based on the points obtained from shopping at different type of companies. For this reason I'd like my default card to be retailer type and/or retailer name specific. Something you can basically favorite based on either of those criteria for places you frequent. They could even make is location specific, like with Passbook, but I personally can't think of a scenario where that would be beneficial for me.

I use my Amazon rewards VISA card everywhere except when I'm buying gas.
    It would be nice if Apple Pay could default to AMEX when it sees I'm at a gas station or if I could set it as the preferred card at a certain GPS location.
  • Reply 75 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

NFC was such a huge success before Apple /s

You must live in the United States. Take a trip north across the 49th Parallel and see it in action everywhere.

• Reply 76 of 165
    cnocbui wrote: »
    They are interchangeable...

Computer says no.

[VIDEO]

I use my Amazon rewards VISA card everywhere except when I'm buying gas.
    It would be nice if Apple Pay could default to AMEX when it sees I'm at a gas station or if I could set it as the preferred card at a certain GPS location.

That's interesting because Amazon VISA is only used for fuel and, of course, Amazon purchases because that's where I get the extra points.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    Quote:

Wait, what? They did this? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to repeat my mantra on Google:

That's Google alright. For a stupid company they sure do dumb things.

What would suck, but it doesn't...

I have Wallet set up with my favorite CC, and no Wallet balance. I'm set up to tap and pay with this configuration on my Nexus 4, and the payment comes from the CC.

• Reply 78 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like a more sophisticated solution to be adopted next year.

I tend to use different cards with different retailers, which is almost always based on the points obtained from shopping at different type of companies. For this reason I'd like my default card to be retailer type and/or retailer name specific. Something you can basically favorite based on either of those criteria for places you frequent. They could even make is location specific, like with Passbook, but I personally can't think of a scenario where that would be beneficial for me.

You just described the first potential application for an iBeacon that strikes me as even remotely useful. The phone detects the iBeacon as you enter the establishment and asks you if you want to change your default card (or better yet, gives you the option to override your default only as long as you're within range of the beacon).

• Reply 79 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) NFC ? RFID.

True, but for the customer it's a difference without a distinction. Since they both do the same thing at the same terminal, the point is moot.

• Reply 80 of 165
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...and there's already an Apple Bank anyway. ;)

My guess is because the official name is Apple Bank for Savings*, it wasn't a trademark that could be confused with Apple Computers, and if Apple Computers went after Apple Bank it would give a whole lot of ammunition to Apple Corps long litigation against Apple Computers.

* Founded in 1863 but the current name was created in 1983)