Apple's next product splash slated for second half of October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    You think the big one will be out this soon?
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Yeah, Apple likes to take their time.

Maybe twelve months from now.

As far as an iPad Plus it seems like a logical product to bring out this year. With Apple's deal with IBM more enterprise players will be buying iPads and some may want the option for a larger screen model.

Also with the larger iPhones Apple will probably lose some iPad Mini sales so in order to keep iPad sales growing a larger model will probably help alleviate some of the decline of the smaller model.

Aside from that there really isn't much I can see Apple announcing for hardware.

AppleTV likely hinges on deals with Cable operators. The new MacBooks are probably not ready. The iPod is limping along at this point with no foreseeable future in Apples ecosystem.

I could see a surprise announcement of a redesigned Mac Mini that's as small as an AppleTV, and it seems display technology has caught up to the point where a retina iMac and Thunderbolt Display are possible for the first time.

So in essence we will probably hear some fun software announcements we're not expecting, hopefully some ApplePay announcements, iPhone availability announcements, and for products: iPads, iMacs, Yosemite,Thunderbolt Display, and possibly a Mac mini.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Remember the dark ages lasted for far to long and it has taken humanity centuries to recover lost knowledge from that little fiasco brought on by religion.

Holy crap, some people still believe this dreck? And the dark ages lasted exactly as long as they could have been expected to last, given that human civilization is our only point of reference against which to judge the collapse of an imperial nation.

If someone tells you history has a ______ bias” (be it toward a political party, ideology, or otherwise), they are lying. As our history is what actually happened, there is inherently no bias. History is the BASELINE for said beliefs, and a projected deviance therefrom in the future would be a bias.

• Reply 63 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wigby wrote: »
    You do realize that Apple doesn't ship SSDs with Mac Pro. They are PCIe and much faster than standard SSDs of any size.
    They are stil Solid State Disk drives. Sure they have a PCI Express interface but that doesn't mean performance doesn't vary.
    I have every Apple pro app on my drive as well as all Adobe including all the music loops and few hundred more assorted apps. Not sure what's taking up so much space for you.
    xCode is a beast and if you have more than one release it can significantly impact you available space. Add to that Eclipse for PyDev, HTML and other codeine where XCode sucks and right there you will have lost significant disk space. Instal TeX and you loose a bunch of more space. I actually dropped OpenOffice for Apples apps to save a little space but even so by the time you are done with the basic apps you are out a coil,e of GB of disk space. Python, WebKit betas and all sorts of other stuff really starts to add up.

But then why not a few months ago? We started seeing leaks for iPhones 6 months ago. Apple Watch came in right before the event but that's because only a handful have been made and probably in the USA.

Actually it looks like the majority of the leaks about iPhone where due to one guy in China that was caught. It could very well be one guy because everything seemed to be related to the shell/case leaks for months before the more detailed leaks came out. It is doubtful that any Apple Watches have been manufactured in the USA. I do wonder though why people think that manufacturing in the USA would be anymore secure than doing so in China. If you had to hire several hundred thousand employees in the USA you would get a bad egg or two.

So when we start to see leaks just before a big reveal you have to seriously wonder about the nature of those "leaks". Are they real leaks or orchestrated events to ramp up expectations and interest. Due to the nature of some of the leaks I'm almost certain they are manufactured as a way to stimulate the fan base.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ibeam wrote: »
    Doesn't Thunderbolt require Intel chipset? I can't see a Mac without Thunderbolt.

My understanding is no it doesn't require an Intel chips set. Further I hardly believe that Apple would go all int on TB and tie its hands with an agreement that didn't allow them to produce their own TB chips. TB does require PCI Express but that is just another port to add to the SoC.

The other part of the equation here is the IP and talent Apple got with the purchase of PA Semi. PA apparently had a lot of experience with high speed serial ports in the chips they produced before being bought by Apple. I still wonder if any of the IP in the TB hardware is owned by Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The October event will probably be rather uneventful compared last weeks event but here are my guesses:

New iPads in 3 sizes. iPad Air and iPad Plus get split screen multi-tasking. All iPads get Touch ID.

New retina iMacs and retina thunderbolt displays.

DiscoverCard partnership announced for Apple Pay. Global bank partnerships announced. iPhone launch in china announced.

No AppleTV, no iPods, and no MacBooks.

The mere fact that there could be new retina iMacs and Mac Pros makes this tentative scenario WAY MORE eventful than the more-than-boring iPhone 6 announcements.

• Reply 66 of 113

It will be fun to see what and how they announce things.

Can't tell you how often I put my thumb on my iPad mini home button expecting it to unlock like my iPhone 5s. Habits.

My wife's iPad 2 needs an upgrade, but that has less priority than the Apple Watch(es). When sufficient funds are available, I'll pull the trigger(s) on a new iPad for her.

I am going to move away from iMac desktops in favor of thunderbolt displays and mac mini and/or MBP machines to drive them. More flexibility, more options. But will only do that when the current 2009 iMacs give up the ghost. Lack of available quid for now.

I am holding out for a new AppleTV. The one I have is sufficient, even though it is a 2nd gen (720p) connected to a 1080p TV.

I really don't have a personal interest in a larger iPad. YMMV; I see why some folks might want. 

Be cool if there was a hint of "stuff no one knows we're working on." And of course, an update on Apple Watch. 

• Reply 67 of 113

Oh, here's a wild card thing we can speculate about: Maybe Apple wants to work on the Beats Headphones a bit. They really aren't my thing, but perhaps a Apple/Beats headphone thingy with BT4 (for connection to Apple Watch) noise cancelling features, and 128GB of storage built in? Maybe a like/dislike/forward button on it to interface with Apple Radio and the Beats service? Dunno.

Discuss.

• Reply 68 of 113

Apple TV with apps and games would be nice.

I think the monitor is past due for a refresh, so is the Apple mini.

• Reply 69 of 113
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't share your enthusiasm for a cheaper Mac Mini. I don't think that it is currently too expensive at all.

It is the cheapest entry point into the OS X world. And the Mini is no slouch! It's quite a powerful little machine in my opinion.

I'd rather see them stick with Intel and make the current Mini even more powerful and more attractive, and also keeping the prices the same. The current Mini is around $5-600, isn't that cheap enough? If somebody can't afford that, then they have no business using any computer in my opinion.

Yah, an A8 mini is as useless as a chrome book in my opinion.  So what if it's $300?  If you're going to put an A8 in anything it should be the aTV and make it an iOS based console.

An $800 Core i7 mini is an awesome entry machine for the OSX world that would be even better with Haswell graphics.

• Reply 70 of 113
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The October event will probably be rather uneventful compared last weeks event but here are my guesses:

New iPads in 3 sizes. iPad Air and iPad Plus get split screen multi-tasking. All iPads get Touch ID.

New retina iMacs and retina thunderbolt displays.

DiscoverCard partnership announced for Apple Pay. Global bank partnerships announced. iPhone launch in china announced.

No AppleTV, no iPods, and no MacBooks.

I agree with most of what you speculate. However, I do not believe Discover would be an announcement worthy of the event. Discover will probably come on board before then and their logo will be on the slide.

• Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

An $800 Core i7 mini is an awesome entry machine for the OSX world that would be even better with Haswell graphics.

Agreed.:)

• Reply 72 of 113
    Cool! I'm in for an iPad. My wife's 2 is getting pretty tired, and it would be great for the side-business Square stuff.
    I'm thinkinkig that's what's in store for the next iPod. They got rid of the Classic iPod. Now hopefully we will see a larger 128gb iPod touch. I'd buy it.
  • Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy (and many more) have no NFC whatsoever!

Really? While I have no references to support this, I could have sworn other posters from European nations have said that uptake has been slow but the infrastructure is there.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked someone from Germany (was it PixelDoc?): Next time you're out, look at the various payment terminals and see if any of them have the touch pay logo. I'll bet a lot of them do and you just haven't noticed.

Or I could have misunderstood. That's been known to happen from time to all the time.

• Reply 74 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I get lazy and leave folders with large files on the desktop. 256GB is probably enough for all non-video work but this is why I need to do some research ahead of time to figure out a proper work flow. I'm not against working on video files on the RAID, especially since TB2 with a RAID will be a whole lot faster than what I'm using now but I need to get info and data first. Thanks for the suggestion.

Max out the onboard storage. You KNOW you'll eventually want it, and upgrading it later will be a pain, since third-party vendors don't seem to be lining up to make storage for Apple computers. I don't know how recent editing and effects apps handle rendering, but it used to be that they would write huge temp files. If they still do, and I have no reason to think they don't, a big, fast, system drive will improve the performance of such apps.

• Reply 75 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

The original iPod was introduced October 23, 2001. My birthday.

Your sig says you live on Vancouver Island. Are you a retiree, hippy, or Hell's Angel? I figure it's gotta be one of the three...

;)

• Reply 76 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Mac Mini update anyone? Looking to buy one but I know I need to wait for this show before I do.

There's zero chance of that happening, because *I* want one now and Apple NEVER introduces a product I want when I'm primed to buy. They wait until I've spent a bunch of money extending the life of my existing device (like replacing my old iPhone twice while waiting for a bigger screen).

Apple won't introduce a new Mac mini until I break down and buy a Thunderbolt dock and upgrade the drive and RAM in mine.

I guess I should get on that then.

• Reply 77 of 113
    A new Xserve   ;)
    ... powered by IBM perhaps?
  • Reply 78 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

I have a 12TB RAID so why would I want to put anything but 50Gb of system files and apps on my boot drive?

I don't know, but I'll give you an iron-clad, zero-doubt guarantee that you'll find a reason!

Quote:

Generally if people spend the extra $800 on that 1TB SSD they have a good reason to do so.

Does "just in case" count as a good reason? That was the basis for our decision to max out storage. We figured as long as the bean counters had the checkbook out, we should get as much storage and RAM as they were willing to pay for. That turned out to be 1TB and 32GB, respectively. I wish the latter could have been even more, but it's REALLY hard to complain about 32!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is surprising how much space some apps take up these days. Even more surprising at times is the number and size of the intermediate and temporary files that software generates these days.

Hence our decision to play it safe and max the SSD even though all the media lives on either a little RAID or the server.

Quote:

I really hope so! It is sad though that your post is the first mention of the Mini in this entire thread. Interest simply isn't what it was for this machine. This is why I'm expecting a major overhaul.

Sorry, I've been resisting mentioning it out of respect for the recently released products and the sanity of other posters.

How's this: Yay, good, phones, watch, whatever. WHERE'S MY DOGDAMN MINI?!

• Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh ... So there are upper limits on the amount you can charge with contact-less transactions.

All it means is that I have to enter my PIN for charges over CAD$200. That amount SHOULD be higher for Apple Pay transactions, give the enormous improvement in security it offers, but I don't imagine it will be. Not at first, anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Maybe it was you, or someone else, knowledgeable of non-US NFC systems -- said that third-party processors are responsible for transaction processing (and security?) and generate most of the costs of contact-less transactions ...

And, that neither the merchants, the processors nor the banks are particularly interested in changing the status quo -- as there is no upside for them ... Correct?

Wasn't me. I have no idea. Seems crazy, though. How do they not see the benefit of a dramatic reduction in fraudulent charges?

• Reply 80 of 113
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I don't know, but I'll give you an iron-clad, zero-doubt guarantee that you'll find a reason!

Does "just in case" count as a good reason? That was the basis for our decision to max out storage. We figured as long as the bean counters had the checkbook out, we should get as much storage and RAM as they were willing to pay for. That turned out to be 1TB and 32GB, respectively. I wish the latter could have been even more, but it's REALLY hard to complain about 32!

Hence our decision to play it safe and max the SSD even though all the media lives on either a little RAID or the server.

If we all had the funds to "play it safe" we would all max out every computer. The issue is making trade-offs by choosing one technology as more important than the other based on your needs. I get the feeling that if I put a gun to your head and told you to choose which item you didn't need to be maxed out, you would just tell me to pull the trigger.