Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    Apple's servers must be stressed. My link here clocks at 90 Mb/sec download speed and it's predicting a 4 hour download! Upgrade to iOS7 downloaded in 2 min when I did it!
  • Reply 62 of 136

Complete.   My phone is now running on iOS8

• Reply 63 of 136
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Don't update it OTA. Use wired. With over 100Mbps at home, it took me just under 20 minutes to download it into my MAC. 

• Reply 64 of 136
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Don't update it OTA. Use wired. With over 100Mbps at home, it took me just under 20 minutes to download it into my MAC. 

What difference does that make? Your Internet connection isn’t faster via Ethernet.

• Reply 65 of 136
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Updating an iPhone and an iPad.

Started slightly after 1 p.m. EDT, both downloads took less than five minutes. But I'm coming up on one hour into the "Preparing Update" phase and the bars are slightly under 75%. This is going to be a lengthy process.

Just about my status: reasonable download time and a continuing "preparing" for a lot longer. But hey I'm here anyway....

• Reply 66 of 136
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What difference does that make? Your Internet connection isn’t faster via Ethernet.

It depends on the device and the router that somebody has of course.

• Reply 67 of 136
    markcu wrote: »
    "unable to check for update" An error occurred while checking for a software update...

= another Apple clusterf@ck.

Can't do web casts properly
    Can't operate their online store properly
    Can't roll out their update properly.

It doesn't take a genius to make a guess that all of these things might be in high demand when they first roll out.  Apple should have the scale and intelligence to negate such challenges. :-(

Or you could just wait for a day. That's right... ONE DAY.
  • Reply 68 of 136
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Can someone who has updated post their version information?  It's in Settings -> General -> Version

I'm curious to know if it's the exact same as the GM build seeded to developers.

Edit: Just checked on developer.apple.com and it shows the same version (12A365)

• Reply 69 of 136

iOS 7 on my 4S meant six months of hell until they finally issued the 7.1 bugfix update. I think I'll wait to see what others think of this release.

• Reply 70 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Can someone who has updated post their version information?  It's in Settings -> General -> Version

I'm curious to know if it's the exact same as the GM build seeded to developers.

8.1(12A365)

• Reply 71 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

8.0 (12A365)

• Reply 72 of 136

Wow, there it is..............

• Reply 73 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dude, get real. Run your speed test with wired vs wireless, you'll see...at least 50% drop in speed. I had my idevice updated OTA and just gave up to move to wired which was a lot faster.

• Reply 74 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revenant View Post

oddly enough- my phone says there is an update and i can get it, but with my phone connected to iTunes does not

me too wtf!
  • Reply 75 of 136

I've downloaded & "Installed" and have been "Verifying Update . . ." for a while.

• Reply 76 of 136

Let's see penetration over this weekend. I would say at least 25% iOS 8.

• Reply 77 of 136
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Dude, get real. Run your speed test with wired vs wireless, you'll see...at least 50% drop in speed.

Are you a member of the Ethernet board or something? Is this just a new form of candid camera prank? That’s not how anything works.

• Reply 78 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It depends on the device and the router that somebody has of course.

No wireless router can meet wired speed. The best you can do is 60-70% speed with your device is very close to the router. Speed drop with distance.

• Reply 79 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyKRS View Post

I've downloaded & "Installed" and have been "Verifying Update . . ." for a while.

Same here. Hoping to move soon.

• Reply 80 of 136

It finally installed - asks about iCloud Drive - but I'm not setting that up until Yosemite gets released proper (I'm on the Public Beta, so maybe I'll risk it ...).

Is it just me, but does the screen and the icons look that much more refined than previously ...?