Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    Now reached seven hours and have the screenshot to prove it.
  • Reply 102 of 136
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I'm talking about download speed, you nut. With OTA update, it takes forever to download that damn 6GB instead using wired to get it faster. Just simple comment, why did you try to be an ass at this early of the day?

Yeah, and you’re completely wrong. Which is why I’m contesting it.

• Reply 103 of 136

Waiting for 8.0.3 with all the critical bugs ironed out.... ne'h... I can't wait, will down load this weekend or so. 

• Reply 104 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I'm talking about download speed, you nut. With OTA update, it takes forever to download that damn 6GB instead using wired to get it faster. Just simple comment, why did you try to be an ass at this early of the day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, and you’re completely wrong. Which is why I’m contesting it.

Most people post as if all downloading from anywhere on the planet is created equal... Im in Los Angeles - it took 10 minutes to download OTA at HOME via WIFI at 26mps... The verification and installation (That has NOTHING to do with Apple etc) took about 15-20 until restart...

BTW... I was on the BETA of iOS 8 and my iPhone updated to the Public Release without-a-hitch....

Perspective folks... How many iOS devices are out there?  Over 200 / 300 / 400 million?   

Why-o-Why are people moaning and whining -- get a grip!

• Reply 105 of 136
    No updates available on an iPhone 4, just as expected...
    Duh, you expect updates after 4 years?
  • Reply 106 of 136

Updated just fine in my iPad Retina (iPad4?) OTA. D/L and update too < hr. Now moving forward with an OTA update in my i5s.

• Reply 107 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Why not? Other than the fact that Apple wants more of your money. 

• Reply 108 of 136
    I don't see the HomeKit anywhere in the new update??? Am I missing something...
  • Reply 109 of 136
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

I got ios 8 start downloading on my iphone 4s which after 2 hours completed. Than it went through preparing updates, install and reboot. Seems like all went well. But, when I checked software version after install/rboot, it said 7.1.2. So, I again kick-off software update and I thought, it will say software uptodate but it again started downloading ios 8.

Are you guys seeing the same issue or different or all good ?

• Reply 110 of 136
    An hour and a half in to the download 1/3 third the way threw in New York , I have my iPad 2 literally on top of my apple wifi router it's going to be a very long night ...ps I'm on an iPhone 4 not very happy ... You need 5+ gigs to install on iPad
  • Reply 111 of 136
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    What difference does that make? Your Internet connection isn’t faster via Ethernet.

Mine is :p

Setting that aside, updates through iTunes are generally faster, more reliable and require less free space on your iOS device. All goo reasons to use iTunes if it's readily available for you.

Also if you have more than one of the same device (for those people with pesky family members or friends) it's one download vs. one download per device, nice for the poor souls trapped on metered internet.
  • Reply 112 of 136
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

I'll wait a few days. I just hope they don't push it to me like they did with 7.

• Reply 113 of 136
    docno42 wrote: »

Mine is :p

Setting that aside, updates through iTunes are generally faster, more reliable and require less free space on your iOS device. All goo reasons to use iTunes if it's readily available for you.

Also if you have more than one of the same device (for those people with pesky family members or friends) it's one download vs. one download per device, nice for the poor souls trapped on metered internet.

This is what I did, after determining I needed to sync with iPhoto before upgrading as I had way too many photos on my iPhone. I assumed upgrading via a wired iTunes download would be faster than OTA. That said, my upgrade was unusually quick and straightforward due to the fact I had to work today and waited till about 6pm eastern to download. Last year I tried 7 asap and I well remember the hassles. Waiting even just a few hours makes a big difference. I fail to see why Apple should build out the world's most outrageously huge data farm just to use it to its full extent once per year. No other company has anywhere near this many update requests all at once. Wouldn't be worth the money. Patience.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    mang, I love Apple and all that. But Apple's backend service really needs a restart. First, on the preorder day it was just impossible to order via the Apple Store or apple.com. Now, it is taking forever and ever to install iOS 8.0 on iPad. It is just embarrassing.
  • Reply 115 of 136
    Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

...I love Apple and all that. But...

Ignored.

• Reply 116 of 136
    I must have been lucky. My downloads were quick, and instillation was smooth.
  • Reply 117 of 136
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Why not? Other than the fact that Apple wants more of your money.

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. My wife's 3GS is still working perfectly well for her needs with iOS6.

The fact you cannot get the latest iOS update 4 years after the phone came out does not stop your phone from working. Heck, how many of the Android phones out there are not on version the latest version & still function? My 1 month old S4 mini that I have to use for work arrived running 4.2.2 which is what - 2 Android versions old?

Off topic but a more interesting question to me is what percentage of Android phone that are 4 years & older are still running compared to 4 yr +iPhones?

• Reply 118 of 136
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49034/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Mine has been like this since 2 am, 5 hours ago (Uruguay time). First time it happens.
  • Reply 119 of 136
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm hearing OTA requires almost 6GB free space. Sucks for anyone that has an 8GB 5C.

Not really. That's 2GB more than you need.
  • Reply 120 of 136
    No updates available on an iPhone 4, just as expected...

No, he didn't, which is why he said he didn't.

Try learning the English language; it'll do you good.