Rounding up some of the newest cases for Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 121 of 189
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not upset, but I'm annoyed with you making stuff up that is easily rebuked. Even your links prove you wrong. If you don't understand what is being said just ask, but don't jump in surefooted and then dig down even more when you've been shown the truth.

I wasn't telling lies, I told you I didn't even read the upper posts, again, don't get upset. I'm sorry for joining in your silly game to prove someone was again wrong for something.

• Reply 122 of 189
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I very much mind. If she posted the name of actual phones that contain all metal casings (no large images needed) and explained how their NFC is able to work through a dense piece of metal used for the structure we'd have a conversation.

Aha, gotcha. I was merely responding to the topic of cases, but will read up on the topic of NFC/metallic cases now.

edit: well nothing to be found at my end. I did stumble upon this rumour from Samsung:

Samsung is reportedly working on a new line of smartphones with metal casing.

Reports claimed that Samsung Galaxy Alpha will have brothers of its own. This time the South Korean tech giant was spotted working on an A-Series smartphone line with lower specs and features.

Currently, Samsung Galaxy Alpha is the closest thing to having a smartphone with aluminum casing like the iPhone handsets. However, the upcoming SM-A5000, also dubbed as A500, will be part of the mid-range and budget smartphones.

The smartphone was spotted at the GFXBenchmark boasting 64-bit processing power. The handset will sport a 4.8-inch screen display and will pack a low-cost quad-core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon 410 SoC paired with 2GB of RAM. The processor will be supported by Adreno 306. It comes with an 8GB internal storage with the mandatory microSD slot for additional external storage. The smartphone will run with the latest Android 4.4.4 Kitkat OS.

Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy Alpha, from which the smartphone line took inspiration, was recently released and included specs and features that can be qualified to be a flagship smartphone. The newly announced handset from Samsung packs a metal casing different from the plastic body packed in previous Samsung smartphones. The Galaxy Alpha handset also comes with a fingerprint scanner, ultra power saving mode, S Health, and connectivity support for Galaxy Gear.

Samsung is set to unveil the A300 and A700, which will sandwich the A500. This suggested that the specs and features of the other two will not be far from the A500. Moreover, the tech giant will also release the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in its Unpacked event scheduled today.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is rumored to pack a quadHD screen display with a 2,560 x 1,440 pixel resolution, a 64-bit processor, an Android 4.4.3 Kitkat operating system, a 3GB RAM, and a 3 megapixel front-facing camera. The phablet is purported to come in two variants: the international variant will come with an Exynos chipset and the unit released in the U.S. will pack the Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/samsung.new.smartphone.line.with.metal.casing/40238.htm

In other news, BRIKK is at it again:

• Reply 123 of 189
    relic wrote: »
    I wasn't telling lies, I told you I didn't even read the upper posts, again, don't get upset. I'm sorry for joining in your silly game to prove someone was again wrong for something.

1) You didn't read the post to which you quoted and responded? :roll eyes:

2) My "game" was be shown something I didn't exist by asking a simple question. You decided to show me everything I knew existed which backs up my point by saying that it's an all metal back because it looks metal or some other odd logic.
  • Reply 124 of 189
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Which iPhone case do you currently use, it must be hand stitched leather from monks in some forbidden city where only one case is finished per month. You didn't have to make snide comment about the kind of cases I posted, I was just showing you what's out there and wasn't advocating and particular model. I also spent time collecting those pictures and posting. You could have showed a little appreciation instead of going off on how ugly everything was. There is also nothing wrong in using a mechanical keyboard, I personally love them and can't wait till BlackBerry releases their Passport series. As I type an obscene amount I will use anything that can potentially give me an edge, no one said you have to use one. Didn't your mother ever say to you, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.

Chill out- I was attacking the case designs, not you personally. I tend to like more minimalistic designs, not monstrosities that do what they can to bring attention to themselves. It's great that you like a mechanical keyboard, but I haven't seen a single one of these keyboard attachments being used in real life, so its clear most people don't. And whats up with the one with the massive latch that probably weighs as much as the phone itself? Maybe one would get it if trying to make some sort of statement, but it definitely is not practical. The Verus one would be nice, again, if it wasn't for the cutout. The "edginess" and "extreme" nature of most of these cases clash so violently with the understated, minimal, and elegant design of the phone itself. 

Stop pretending to be personally offended. You keep posting random images in this thread to "prove" something that has nothing to do with what people are asking. 

• Reply 125 of 189
    philboogie wrote: »
    Aha, gotcha. I was merely responding to the topic of cases, but will read up on the topic of NFC/metallic cases now.

As you know, NFC uses an electromagnetic loop. This means that metal creates difficulties, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to work around. Special alloys (I'm told LiquidMetal is radio transparent), stronger radio signals, or even micro-holes (like with the old MBP's sleep light), or something else entirely might be a solution.

As I oft state, Apple is rarely the first to do something in tech, but they are usually the first to do it right and do it completely. ?Pay is a prime example of this.

If there is a way for a company to use an all metal back but still allow NFC — perhaps the ring around the camera and/or flash would be enough with newer tech — I'd like to know if others have tried it, just as others had tried a fingerprint scanner on smartphones before Apple.
  • Reply 126 of 189

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As you know, NFC uses an electromagnetic loop. This means that metal creates difficulties, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to work around. 

The  HTC One loop antenna is wrapped around one of the camera modules. Maybe the iPhone also has this to help with the signal.
  • Reply 127 of 189
    Quote:

As you know, NFC uses an electromagnetic loop. This means that metal creates difficulties, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to work around. 

Quote:

1) You didn't read the post to which you quoted and responded? :roll eyes:

2) My "game" was be shown something I didn't exist by asking a simple question. You decided to show me everything I knew existed which backs up my point by saying that it's an all metal back because it looks metal or some other odd logic.

No,  I actually went to each of the websites, the LG was the only one that through me for a loop as half of the websites said it was metal. You don't have to role your eyes,you know how much medication I am currently on. Just be a little patient

• Reply 128 of 189
    If there is a way for a company to use an all metal back but still allow NFC — perhaps the ring around the camera and/or flash would be enough with newer tech — I'd like to know if others have tried it, just as others had tried a fingerprint scanner on smartphones before Apple.

That's a good point (the others as well obviously). I re-read the Wikipedia (I know) article and wanted to paste in this little bit:

"If the antenna is just a few centimetres long, it will only set up the so-called ‘near-field’ around itself, with length, width and depth of the field roughly the same as the dimensions of the antenna."

I would presume a protective ring around a camera lens won't suffice for NFC to work at a short distance of 4 inches. The antenna needs 11 meters in length for it to operate at 13.56 MHz.

I read this and think it's informative, but all this talk about frequency doesn't 'radiate' with me very well.

http://www.antenna-theory.com/definitions/nfc-antenna.php
  • Reply 129 of 189
    That's a good point (the others as well obviously). I re-read the Wikipedia (I know) article and wanted to paste in this little bit:

"If the antenna is just a few centimetres long, it will only set up the so-called ‘near-field’ around itself, with length, width and depth of the field roughly the same as the dimensions of the antenna."

I would presume a protective ring around a camera lens won't suffice for NFC to work at a short distance of 4 inches. The antenna needs 11 meters in length for it to operate at 13.56 MHz.

I read this and think it's informative, but all this talk about frequency doesn't 'radiate' with me very well.

A couple things come to my mind.

1) Put one NFC loop around the camera and another around the flash to potentially create an array that could allow for a longer arc.

2) That the small antenna will be enough if the device is close enough to the receiver. But that might be an issue like with some store checkout scanners not being able to read barcodes on smartphone displays. I'm thinking that the NFC antenna in the merchant's terminal might be sitting too far back thus causing issues.
  • Reply 130 of 189

That's why there is an additional antenna inside, the one around the camera is just the loop antenna
  • Reply 131 of 189
    A couple things come to my mind.

1) Put one NFC loop around the camera and another around the flash to potentially create an array that could allow for a longer arc.

2) That the small antenna will be enough if the device is close enough to the receiver. But that might be an issue like with some store checkout scanners not being able to read barcodes on smartphone displays. I'm thinking that the NFC antenna in the merchant's terminal might be sitting too far back thus causing issues.

We will have to wait and see if the iPhone 6 or 5s receive any complaints, If you read some of the comments in the HTC forums the users seem to be happy with signal strength. Though I personally wish the signal was a little stronger, when I transfer say a photo from my Nokia 1020 to my 2520, the phone and the tablet have to physically tap to initialize the NFC, which is fine but you then have to keep both devices in very close proximity for the transfer to complete. The same thing goes for the automatic Kiosk machines, when I want to use my phone to purchase say a soda, I have to continuously hold the phone over the NFC pad.
  • Reply 132 of 189
    The Apple branded cases are amazing. Definitely worth the extra cost. I got the white silicone case for my iPhone 6, and I LOVE it! The silicone is very soft and doesn't stick to your jeans and collect lint like other silicone cases. It's also much sturdier than other silicone cases and it's lined with microfiber on the inside, so your iPhone stays in perfect condition. My only complaint is that I wish the bottom was covered a little better, but it's not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 133 of 189
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

I still haven't seen iPhone 6/6+ in person, but due to pictures the only thing that might not appeal much to me is the "bands" which I truly wish were less obvious. Guys and gals who've got your 6, how does it look in your hand? I mean is it like it is in photos or looks even better?

thanks a whole bunch!

• Reply 134 of 189
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    helia wrote: »
    I still haven't seen iPhone 6/6+ in person, but due to pictures the only thing that might not appeal much to me is the "bands" which I truly wish were less obvious. Guys and gals who've got your 6, how does it look in your hand? I mean is it like it is in photos or looks even better?
    thanks a whole bunch!
    I don't own one but saw them at the Apple store. IMO the bands definitely look better (not so bad) in person than they do in Photos. Same with the camera ring. Photos that zoom in on the camera ring make it look like such an eyesore. Yet in person it's hardly noticeable. Just like the 5th gen iPod touch. I think people complaining about the camera rain really are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • Reply 135 of 189
    I really have lost the point of regular cases, only cases that make since are life proof, otter box, and feature added(such as battery, storage, etc.) as the only thing you worry about is a screen right?
  • Reply 136 of 189
    The great thing about the apple case is its not bulky at the bottom so it still allows me to dock my phone in my Bose sound dock. Most cases add material at the bottom that prohibits this. Great design by Apple. The only bad part is $50. Really expensive but I bought one anyway.
  • Reply 137 of 189

It seems all the cases will be around $50 this year, will see if the later ones are, there initial prices are $35,$45

• Reply 138 of 189
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In other news, BRIKK is at it again:

I'd never heard of that company before, but I like their customizations! Those are really nice.

If I were filthy rich, I'd definitely get one of those, probably the platinum with the diamond ? logo.

• Reply 139 of 189
    Those that don't like cases, perhaps you haven't held an iPhone 6 yet. Did you see that video of that guy dropping his as soon as he got it out of the box? Its so thin, and slippery, its insane. Get a case, with some grip. I stuck with the Griffin case, simple, clean, with grip.
  • Reply 140 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Those that don't like cases, perhaps you haven't held an iPhone 6 yet. Did you see that video of that guy dropping his as soon as he got it out of the box? Its so thin, and slippery, its insane. Get a case, with some grip. I stuck with the Griffin case, simple, clean, with grip.

That's actually what I don't get: why make it so thin and slippery that nobody will ever see it? Make it a little thicker and less slippery so that it's safe to use without a case, or stop designing and marketing features like thinness and metal construction that are only relevant to those who can afford to replace their phones on a whim.