Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 301 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Don't worry, Apple will have a software fix out shortly. As I understand it, when the iPhone senses unacceptable forces, Siri will start raising a fuss and screaming her head off. Things will go badly for you after that resulting in you being let go from whatever pro team you play for. Eventually you'll find yourself living under a bridge and being shunned by even the men on the sex registry.

Does anyone else smell something burning?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Reply 302 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lowepg wrote: »
    Holy Over-Reaction Batman

You leave him be. That was a perfectly measured response to this mudslide of a thread.
  • Reply 303 of 543
    I am not going to justify the bending issues but I am a little bit surprised because Apple usually makes phones to withstand different forces. The aluminum structure can be reinforced, why they did not do that?
    I really hate this size, it is large to be placed in front or back pocket and most of the time you have to carry it. Apple shoud do something to satisfy the customers.
  • Reply 304 of 543

That video is total BS. You can see it had a bend to it before he started. When he is adjusting his hands at the beginning and removes the thumb from the left side, there is already a bend there. He bent this thing some other way to start with. Once the damage is done, yeah it will be easier to finish it with your hands.

• Reply 305 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

I'm not even a muscular guy, but I could snap both of those phones in half no problem. That guy was faking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

That video is total BS. You can see it had a bend to it before he started. When he is adjusting his hands at the beginning and removes the thumb from the left side, there is already a bend there. He bent this thing some other way to start with. Once the damage is done, yeah it will be easier to finish it with your hands.

But at least three or four people on this thread have confidently asserted they could do the same to this or any other smart phone. I'm still hoping they'll post videos to prove it. 

• Reply 306 of 543
    This is troubling. Warranty issue for sure, since it's a fabrication/ design flaw. It can be quite dangerous for the battery too. I was going to order the plus on Friday, but now I have to take this information into account. Crap.
  • Reply 307 of 543

When I slam my car door into a pole it gets dented. I guess I need to pressure Nissan for a response to fix this engineering flaw.

• Reply 308 of 543
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member

Doesn't really matter if this is a non issue or not, the negative PR for this is already exploding (This thread already at 300 comments, I can't remember, ever, a thread on AI reaching this much attention). Yes Apple will still sell record numbers of them though. 

• Reply 309 of 543
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Poor attempt at humor, sorry.

I mean the truck picture. It’s cute.

Where are you going to put it?

You get to hold it in your hand all the time like a pathetic little handbag.

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

It’s like we’re dissecting an effing MAGIC TRICK here. Next we’ll be shoving pencils through the iPhone via the camera lens.

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

This is troubling. Warranty issue for sure, since it's a fabrication/ design flaw.

NO. TRY AGAIN. THIS TIME WITH SOME COMMON SENSE. THE ONLY WARRANTY ISSUE WITH YOU PURPOSELY DESTROYING YOUR PHONE IS HOW LOUDLY THEY LAUGH AT YOU WHEN YOU TRY TO GET A NEW ONE FOR FREE.

• Reply 310 of 543
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

"super thin aluminum case bends when hundreds of pounds of force is applied"

In other shocking and earth-shattering news:

When an iPhone cost the same as a paper clip, then I can expect it to bend like a paper clip.

• Reply 311 of 543
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

And what's the deal with phonebooks nowadays. This guy puts just moderate pressure on one and look what happens.

• Reply 312 of 543

It bent at the weakest part, around the volume buttons, thats the fulcrum.  Along with the length of the phone being a better lever.  Yeah science bitch.  Maybe don't wear skinny jeans and put the phone in your back pocket.  Yeah science bitch. 

• Reply 313 of 543
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Double post.

• Reply 314 of 543
    The plus is a largo phone. It's simple physics.

And the dude in the video, really cranked, using all his might.

If he did that with a competitor of similar size, you may see a plastic crack.

I still think the symmetrical glass back of the 4 and 4s was the best phone design ever. From a looks AND durability standpoint.

I keep all my iPhone's. Had every major model with exception of the 3G. And the 4 still shows zero signs of wear and tear.

Hopefully they return to the symmetrical glass back at some point.

It's time for a big iphone and the preorders shows the pent up demand.

But the larger of the two SHOUKD be handled differently. It's huge!
  • Reply 315 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

i know when the 5 was released. You think just because he died before launch he didnt work on the product. LMAO! You need to learn a bit about how hardware and software are created.

I wish I could say that was a decent attempt, it wasn't get a clue.  Your comment was clear and incorrect. I have an engineering degree along with 25+ year designing, installing and programming systems for IBM. I believe I understand the process fairly well. 

• Reply 316 of 543
    Probably a video paid for by scamsung.
  • Reply 317 of 543
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

What about the iPad Air and iPad mini? 

It is a larger aluminum surface, yet no bending issues  :???:

• Reply 318 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO. TRY AGAIN. THIS TIME WITH SOME COMMON SENSE. THE ONLY WARRANTY ISSUE WITH YOU PURPOSELY DESTROYING YOUR PHONE IS HOW LOUDLY THEY LAUGH AT YOU WHEN YOU TRY TO GET A NEW ONE FOR FREE.

No need to go all caps lock, mate. I think, definitely positively, that this is a design flaw, and Apple will be struck with a massive ammount of warranty claims if this applies to all plusses - which might be the case. I'm gonna make up a number and say that I'm positively sure that well over 50% of all iPhone users carry them in their front pockets - and will so with their plusses too. If they bend when you sit down, get in the car, do a little dancing, Apple will have no other choice than to replace the items.

Of course nobody will bend their phone like this dude in the video. He clearly stated that his phone was a little bent from before, so there's no secretive bullshit going on there. But the forces applied when sitting down could probably be even stronger than the force you can apply with just your hands, because of the leverage effect. Of course it's a bigger phone, so it shouldn't be put in pant pockets that aren't deep enough to carry it below the hip joint. Regardless, if this was being tested thoroughly Apple would have reinforced it until it could take the stress. Liquid metal would be a better metal for this, for example, due to its elastic qualities.

After all, reports state that those iPhone 5/5S owners with bending issues, reportedly received replacements for their bent handsets from either Apple or their carriers. So this is indeed seen as a clear warranty issue.

• Reply 319 of 543

It would be interesting to see a Liquidmetal enclosure at some point. It has a very different finish and feel, almost like platinum.. sort of, that might not suit today's design goals. But as far as strength and elasticity, judging by the charts, it seems totally BOSS.

• Reply 320 of 543
    This sounds a lot like the smear-campaigns all the other iPhones had to endure after launch. Remember the noise about heat with the 3GS? Or the actually not that tragic antennagate? I believe these things are targeted attacks, initiated by the competition and picked-up by click-bait hungry blogs and media.

Don't think that there's a real issue for people using the phone as you would use a phone in real life.