Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 321 of 543
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I am actually surprised it is bending. I thought the curved glass was going to add rigidity.

Has anyone performed a bend test on the iPhone 6? And the iPad mini?

• Reply 322 of 543

• Reply 323 of 543

• Reply 324 of 543
    mr o wrote: »
    What about the iPad Air and iPad mini? 

It is a larger aluminum surface, yet no bending issues  :???:

Having a 6+ feels like a small iPad to me.. That means it's feel is nice but fragile hence act accordingly - forcing something not meant for your pocket has its consequences - when I sit down my 6+ is not in ANY pocket. I can't use words here to describe someone that would sit on your 6+ especially pressing 200 pounds+++ against a 5 inch piece of glass - literally surprised ANY glass can withstand so much weight
  • Reply 325 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

One wonders how a plastic Samsung large screen phone would fare with the same amount of pressure at the point where it's button cutouts reside. Plastic is also quite malleable.

Wonder no more, the same guy did a bend test on it and it passed.  With the same bending force it stayed straight and with maximum force it has a tiny bend.  Fared quite well for a cheap knock-off of the iPhone.

• Reply 326 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

So, how many people would just whip out their new iPhone 6 from their pocket and try to bend it to render it "inoperable" just for the hell of it? I guess if someone was reimbursing you to do it, then I can understand.

Hmmm, I wonder which Apple competitor would do such a thing?

It's always a conspiracy with you guys.

• Reply 327 of 543
    Please don't bend your iPhone 6 Plus to whore your YouTube channel.
  • Reply 328 of 543

i dont understand how this could happen with all those R&D billions invested? They should test bending from every imaginable angle and power. Or they should make that simple test like in the video for free. 

Now i cant imagine i would buy $1000+ phone and would worry every day that this could happen.

• Reply 329 of 543

If I pull hard on my 200USD headphone cables, the cable will snap

If I overbend my Oakley Holbrooks - they will snap 

If I push in the metal panel of my vehicle door too hard it will indent

If I poke my Near Field monitor cones too deep they will tear

If I poke too hard on the LED panel on my macbookair it will probably crack

These iPhones are not Panasonic Toughbooks..  just use them with care..

#nonissue

• Reply 330 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creep View Post

The article I read stated that one of the people who posted the first photos had the phone in his front pants pocket for about 18 hours during which he drove for several hours, danced for a few and sat at a wedding reception for a few.  Seems like SOP with any cell phone...where's the absence of common sense?

Let's blame the consumer for keeping the phone in his pants, not the manufacturer.

• Reply 331 of 543
    It's a cellphone - it should be carried in your pants pockets most of the time. Anyone saying otherwise is ridiculous.

Speaking as a guy, there are large parts of the year I don't wear a jacket or carry a bag. Jeans and a shirt are the de facto garb in anything but cold weather. So no, there aren't alternates to carry it in nor should anyone have to for their phone. A holster? No thanks dad. Take it out every time you sit down? Lol

Now that being said, I doubt this is a huge issue but it won't surprise me if it happens to folks with regularity. A long thin, flat piece of aluminum is going to have some malleability. Apple should cover under warranty those that do break or crack under normal usage, not intentional abuse.
  • Reply 332 of 543
    rogifan wrote: »
    We saw what happened with the iPhone 5 when it first came out. That eventually blew over when Apple sorted out its manufacturing issues. If this is a real issue and the phone is easily bending then Apple will have to tweak the design to make it less bendable. I'm still skeptical that this phone can bend that easily because I have a hard time believing Apple wouldn't catch something like that before these phones ever went on sale. And I have a really have a hard time believing Apple would knowingly ship a phone that easily bends.
    It is hard from me to believe that Apple would not have done any bending tests. I am sure they have controlled and calibrated devices that simulates the behavior of phone in a pocket! Did people forget the pictures the Steve had shown when the whole AntennaGate was going on. I even remembers the bend testing on the Gorilla glass done back in original iPhone. So, this whole thing is going away after that guy had his 15-min of fame.
  • Reply 333 of 543
    Well why didn't Apple use the new custom aluminium alloy that is 60% stronger ??

....... because only the Apple Watch is injection moulded.

If Apple had managed to build moulds for the iPhone6/ , then it would have also been available in several new alloys not seen before in any Apple devices, just like the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 334 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hngfr View Post

Well why didn't Apple use the new custom aluminium alloy that is 60% stronger ??

....... because only the Apple Watch is injection moulded.

If Apple had managed to build moulds for the iPhone6/ , then it would have also been available in several new alloys not seen before in any Apple devices, just like the Apple Watch.

Maybe that will be the

iPhone 6S Plus - "Faster, Stronger, Incredible. The biggest upgrade since the original iPhone"

• Reply 335 of 543
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

We have a 6 and I've just had my first look at a 6+... beautiful! Perhaps too good to pass on. Couldn't imagine buying such a big phone but likely will. (I can reach all parts of the phone without altering my grip.)  I did wonder about flex in such a thin profile however, especially as my 5 spends a great deal of time in the back pocket of my riding kit (and survived a tumble at 50 km/hr to go on and record the route my ambulance took to the local ER)!

About the back shell though, two comments:

[1] Aluminium as a structural member is more than likely, almost certainly, an aluminium alloy. Some of these alloys, such as aluminium bronze, can be very, very robust. A well-publicised test will no doubt be performed on each of the larger phone contenders to measure their bending moments. Were the iPhone to achieve a better result than others, then Scamsung et. al. would be left without ammunition. Were it not to perform as well... but it would.

[2] I wonder, with just the smallest germ of a thought, whether the 6 and 6+ were originally expected to be constructed with a liquid metal case. Design and engineering will have spanned years and perhaps in the early days of this project, designers were led to believe that liquid metal would come on line by the time manufacturing began, only to reach a point where it was evident that this would not so but with the form factor that was too progressed to allow redesign. A liquid metal case would have been beyond reproach.

Extra care required but worth the effort perhaps.

Edit: Hadn't read all comments prior to posting, going through the rest now. :-)

• Reply 336 of 543
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    tyler82 wrote:
    Then don't put the phone in your pocket, problem solved!

Exactly, or better yet, leave it at home and take a normal sized phone out with you.
    tonypie wrote:
    Can you un-bend it back to the original shape without cracking it?

No, they tried to bend it back and the metal cracked as well as the display.
    mr o wrote:
    Has anyone performed a bend test on the iPhone 6?

Yes:

[VIDEO]

A little warping but nothing major. The iPhone 5 was shown in a video here:

[VIDEO]

It looks like they did that in the Apple Store to try and get a replacement, which is kinda silly if they are trying to prove it happened accidentally. The bend point was the same at the volume button but on the other side of the phone, it was at the sim slot. The top of the sim slot on the 6 plus is close to the bottom of the volume buttons so that will create a weaker bend point across the phone. It's the same layout on the 6 but the smaller size offers less leverage.

The bend points look to be the line directly across the volume button and sim slot:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/owners-report-that-the-iphone-6-plus-is-susceptible-to-98246369349.html

The person there had their phone in their pocket for 18 hours and the phone shows slight warping. Obviously the stress tests are severe but they can't gradually bend it over 18 hours in a Youtube video, they can only test for weak points.
  • Reply 337 of 543

He kept adjusting his hands to put most of the force under the buttons, which would naturally be the weakest structural point on the 6+. On the note 3 bend test all the force was applied at middle of device not under the button. Regardless neither device was designed to be subjected to that abuse.

• Reply 338 of 543
    These products should have undergone stress tests. Too many iPhones have had major design flaws. A good engineering team and chief designer would conduct a whole battery of tests to ensure structural integrity.

It's pointless waving a thinest version iPhone around on stage if that same product can be turned into an ugly duckling by someone proficient at origami.

Tim Cook should sack the entire iPhone engineering team for gross incompetence, or do a Microsoft, and claim it as a feature.
  • Reply 339 of 543
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    These products should have undergone stress tests.

They will do stress tests but not necessarily ones that reflect every scenario. They might for example hold a phone in a grip at either end and have a device poke it in the middle but that's not the weak point. To simulate being in a pocket, they should really warm it up and apply pressure to either end across a mildly curved solid surface at different angles.
  • Reply 340 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to the [url=http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2014/09/22/iphone-6-is-the-most-durable-iphone-yet-says-insurer/]Wall Street Journa[/url]l:

[QUOTE]The new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus may be the largest iPhones Apple has ever made, but they’re also the toughest, according to SquareTrade, a gadget insurer that publishes a “breakability” index.

Having put the new iPhones through its gauntlet of durability tests this weekend, SquareTrade found that the iPhone 6 holds up impressively well in drops, spills and slips — despite the fact that the new, thinner iPhones are tougher to hold onto given their smooth edges and bigger screens.

The iPhone 6 Plus fared well, too, managing to beat out Samsung’s Galaxy S5 as “the most durable phone with a screen larger than five inches.”[/QUOTE]

And I like Gruber's comment:

[url=http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/23/get-bent]Get Bent[/url]

[QUOTE]I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.[/QUOTE]