Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

12223252728

Comments

  • Reply 481 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    1. Prove your statement first, kiddo.

    2. Do you know what words mean?

     

    Wow. What an outrage.

     

    Look, just shut up unless you have a clue what you’re saying.


     

    And now we progress to name calling and tantrums. LOL. It's just a phone dude. Take your 35,000 posts (srsly??) and go outside.. that is, if your skin can still retain UV exposure. 

  • Reply 482 of 543
    herbapou wrote: »
    Sorry about that english is not my native language. I live and work in french.

    You mean 'in France'?
  • Reply 483 of 543
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    We'll have to wait to see how many people are actually effected by this before any of us jump to conclusion but being able to bend a phone like what was portrayed in the video is defiantly disconcerting. It's also not fair to expect people not to be able too carry a phone in their pockets without the fear of it bending but again let's just wait and see now this plays out before we rip each other to shreds in this thread.
  • Reply 484 of 543
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

    And now...

     

    Well, when you feel like explaining anything you’ve claimed, maybe someone else will feel like listening to a word you say.

     

    Aluminum is a metal. Metals bend (and sometimes shear) when force is applied. I guess you have similar complaints that airplanes are made of aluminum. After all, if bare hands can bend an iPhone...

     

    “something something normal use case”

     

    And then I reply that the iPhone is not under a normal use case when it is being bent. Case closed.

  • Reply 485 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    You mean 'in France'?

     

    Pretty sure he means that his communications at work and where he lives are conducted in French. Could be any number of locales outside of France.

  • Reply 486 of 543
    Frankly I'm surprised that given all the leading edge materials the apple uses they didn't incorporate some advanced composite and/or fiber reinforced aluminum options. They've been out there for quite a while and provide pretty impressive results all while keeping virtually the same density as aluminum. Heck, even run of the mill 7475 T61 aluminum should help out quite a bit compared to a lot of vanilla aluminum a.
  • Reply 487 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



    This has happened with the iPhone 5/5s too:



    http://www.cultofmac.com/248603/iphone-5ses-are-bending-in-peoples-pockets/



    The temperature in the pocket after long periods of time makes it easier to bend the metal, especially if the device has been running hot itself. This will be worse with the 6+ due to the size as there's more leverage at the weak points. Initial buyers are returning the 6+ for iPhone 6 models because they are finding them to be too big anyway:



    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/22/6827863/apple-iphone-6-plus



    and stats here show the 6 outselling the 6+ between 5:1-10:1:



    https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_6



    It probably won't be long before they just discontinue the phablet model.

     

    That's an availability issue.  I haven't been able to find the 6+ anywhere.  I didn't start looking until the afternoon of opening day. There were a ton of the 6 selling.  Personally I've never bought a computing device with a larger screen and ended up wishing I had the smaller screen model instead.

  • Reply 488 of 543
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Android users... for at least 2 years now.

    I used to carry around my Note 2 in my back pocket without any problems, so if the phone is built to handle it, why not. I think each device has its own super hero powers sort of speak, you can take a bath with a Sony Z2, the Nokia 1020 is pretty much indestructable, you can drop it from a few meters without it breaking, iPhone 6 plus is the most powerful phablet on the market, etc. Point being, you utilize the most out of the phones strengths and be careful of their weekeness. Simply saying it's stupid that people put their phones in their back pockets is a ridiculous remark if the phone in question can handle it. I can sit on my Nokia 1020, Nexus 5 or Porsche Design P'9882 when their in my back pocket and not worry about them breaking because their built to withstand such stress.The iPhone 6 Plus is obviously not able to handle it so don't do it, there are plenty of other things going for it.
  • Reply 489 of 543

    A bit of uncommon wisdom from Jim Dalrymple:

     

  • Reply 490 of 543
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Warranties cover physical misuse? Is the jerk in the video planning on getting a refund?
    AppleCare+ Covers accidental damage, it covers catastrophic accidental damage; it does not cover intentional abuse.
  • Reply 491 of 543
    The solution for this is simple: Rethink how you carry your iPhone 6+ because you can't place it in the same space as your iPhone 5s. It is BIGGER.
  • Reply 492 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post





    I used to carry around my Note 2 in my back pocket without any problems, so if the phone is built to handle it, why not. I think each device has its own super hero powers sort of speak, you can take a bath with a Sony Z2, the Nokia 1020 is pretty much indestructable, you can drop it from a few meters without it breaking, iPhone 6 plus is the most powerful phablet on the market, etc. Point being, you utilize the most out of the phones strengths and be careful of their weekeness. Simply saying it's stupid that people put their phones in their back pockets is a ridiculous remark if the phone in question can handle it. I can sit on my Nokia 1020, Nexus 5 or Porsche Design P'9882 when their in my back pocket and not worry about them breaking because their built to withstand such stress.The iPhone 6 Plus is obviously not able to handle it so don't do it, there are plenty of other things going for it.

     

    Hey Relic... how's it going?

     

    Oh... don't get me wrong. I agree with you. My point being that, as you say, if people are used to putting a 5"+ phone in their pockets, back or front, then they're going to automatically think the iPhone 6 Plus will be the same.

     

    ... and, as I mentioned earlier, if it is indeed true that the iP6+ does bend in the pocket, then people will either not put it in their pockets or... they will abandon it.

  • Reply 493 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post



    We'll have to wait to see how many people are actually effected by this before any of us jump to conclusion but being able to bend a phone like what was portrayed in the video is defiantly disconcerting. It's also not fair to expect people not to be able too carry a phone in their pockets without the fear of it bending but again let's just wait and see now this plays out before we rip each other to shreds in this thread.

     

     

    Well said.

     

    However, it's only the Plus apologists who are doing any ripping. Those of us who are expressing reasonable concern at the bendiness are calmly stating our positions. Then you have Slurpy...

     

    Regardless of whether Apple takes action or ignores it, the damage to the Plus is already done. Unless Apple revise the design, a lot of people will be put off by the Plus who might otherwise have gone for it, and will instead get the 6. That will be bad for Apple's margins. As a shareholder, I would be delighted for as many people as possible to buy the Plus, but I fear that the proportion will now skew more to the cheaper 6.

  • Reply 494 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macbootx View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post



    Warranties cover physical misuse? Is the jerk in the video planning on getting a refund?


    AppleCare+ Covers accidental damage, it covers catastrophic accidental damage; it does not cover intentional abuse.

     

    NEWSFLASH: keeping your phone in you front pocket is not intentional abuse. Most guys do it, quite reasonably.

  • Reply 495 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

     

     

    Well said.

     

    However, it's only the Plus apologists who are doing any ripping. Those of us who are expressing reasonable concern at the bendiness are calmly stating our positions. Then you have Slurpy...

     

    Regardless of whether Apple takes action or ignores it, the damage to the Plus is already done. Unless Apple revise the design, a lot of people will be put off by the Plus who might otherwise have gone for it, and will instead get the 6. That will be bad for Apple's margins. As a shareholder, I would be delighted for as many people as possible to buy the Plus, but I fear that the proportion will now skew more to the cheaper 6.


     

    Double double post post

  • Reply 496 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

     

     

    Well said.

     

    However, it's only the Plus apologists who are doing any ripping. Those of us who are expressing reasonable concern at the bendiness are calmly stating our positions. Then you have Slurpy...

     

    Regardless of whether Apple takes action or ignores it, the damage to the Plus is already done. Unless Apple revise the design, a lot of people will be put off by the Plus who might otherwise have gone for it, and will instead get the 6. That will be bad for Apple's margins. As a shareholder, I would be delighted for as many people as possible to buy the Plus, but I fear that the proportion will now skew more to the cheaper 6.


     

    Naw... the damage isn't already done... people won't stop buying it. Apple has weathered other storms, all which turned out to be non starters.

     

    I don't think the market for the 6+ is that great in the first place.  lol

  • Reply 497 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

     

     

    Well said.

     

    However, it's only the Plus apologists who are doing any ripping. Those of us who are expressing reasonable concern at the bendiness are calmly stating our positions. Then you have Slurpy...

     

    Regardless of whether Apple takes action or ignores it, the damage to the Plus is already done. Unless Apple revise the design, a lot of people will be put off by the Plus who might otherwise have gone for it, and will instead get the 6. That will be bad for Apple's margins. As a shareholder, I would be delighted for as many people as possible to buy the Plus, but I fear that the proportion will now skew more to the cheaper 6.


     

    Naw... the damage isn't already done... people won't stop buying it. Apple has weathered other storms, all which turned out to be non starters.

     

    I don't think the market for the 6+ is that great in the first place.  lol


     

     

    I hope you are right, as it is in my financial interests for you to be. This does, however, have the potential to be an insidious and intractable issue.

  • Reply 498 of 543
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

    I hope you are right, as it is in my financial interests for you to be. This does, however, have the potential to be an insidious and intractable issue.


     

    If this does turn out to be a non issue and blows over, then I'd really be interested to see the internals of a 6+ in about 6 months time to see if there were any changes made to the shell by Apple.

  • Reply 499 of 543
    Alright now.. hands up.  Everyone in this thread with a bent iPhone 6+ raise your hands (mine is fine).

  • Reply 500 of 543
    NEWSFLASH: keeping your phone in you front pocket is not intentional abuse. Most guys do it, quite reasonably.
    Uh, I thought the post was about some dude bending an iPhone 6+. That's what my comment was about, not what the thread morphed into.
Sign In or Register to comment.