Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 201 of 254
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Can someone enlighten us as to when it is ok for a company to say Well everyone else does it vs. We should do better?  Because most of the time it seems rather arbitrary.

• Reply 202 of 254
    haggar wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten us as to when it is ok for a company to say Well everyone else does it vs. We should do better?  Because most of the time it seems rather arbitrary.

It depends on what you're referring. If you're talking about a device eventually bending then every device will bend. There is no such thing indescribable CE. Now is the iPhone 6 Plus extra-bendy? According to CR, they say it's less bendy than the iPhone 6 despite it being a wider suspension in their testing limited testing parameter.

All that matters is if it's too bendy (or anything else) for your intended usage and so far I've seen no evidence that any of these devices are too frail for normal use (which includes the HTC One which I seem to recall performed worse than the iPhone 6 Plus). For example, the latest Samsung is water resistance, providing you have the USB port plug inserted properly, so if that is something you need in a smartphone then the iPhone isn't for you.
  • Reply 203 of 254
    A very conservative test. A more realistic test would have uniformly loaded the phone between the support points as most of us don't have pointed butts. For the same deflection a uniformly loaded beam will support 60% more load than one point loaded at the center point as tested by Consumer Reports. So in the case of the iPhone 6 the 70 lb load would grow to 112 lbs.
    http://tinyurl.com/obrxv8l
  • Reply 204 of 254
    abavetta wrote: »
    A very conservative test. A more realistic test would have uniformly loaded the phone between the support points as most of us don't have pointed butts. For the same deflection a uniformly loaded beam will support 60% more load than one point loaded at the center point as tested by Consumer Reports. So in the case of the iPhone 6 the 70 lb load would grow to 112 lbs.

Apple's tests show that very type of stress test. I assume every smartphone manufacturer uses that same test so who knows what the CR was thinking.

Apple's idea of a state of the art testing facility:

Consumer Reports idea of a state of the art testing facility:
  • Reply 205 of 254
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Hmmm. . . I actually hadn't thought along those lines but if you are correct then sitting your 180 lb body down on an unforgiving chair with your iPhone in your back pocket would seem to be very capable of causing a permanent bend. Did I miss something?

My son-in-law typically carries his LG something in his back pocket when he does flooring so pretty sure it gets sat on regularly too.
  • Reply 206 of 254

Realistically Gatorguy the 180 lb weight would very likely be spread over an area much larger than the iPhone considering butt spill over from the cheek with the iPhone in it as well as the other cheek and the upper portion of a persons thighs.

• Reply 207 of 254
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abavetta View Post

Maybe they just wanted to keep the test conservative. But also bear in mind that uniform beam loading is much harder to achieve on an Instron.

• Reply 208 of 254
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Realistically Gatorguy the 180 lb weight would very likely be spread over an area much larger than the iPhone considering butt spill over from the cheek with the iPhone in it as well as the other cheek and the upper portion of a persons thighs.

Thx. 8-)
  • Reply 209 of 254
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    matrix12 wrote: »
    Good report. What feedback do we have on the research of the reported bendiness?  I heard that there were actually only nine reports. Makes one suspect the mass hysteria as projected by a range of "other" possibilities. Thoughts? 

There are 9 published reports. Only Apple know if and how many people went back to Apple for repair/replacement. I would expect that not everyone with go to Youtube with their experience, so I would expect there are more in the wild. But number might still be relatively small compared to sold quantities.

That being said, it is only, what? 2 weeks since release? It is not a problem that shows right away or doesn't show at all, as it often is with, say, factory faults. It is more of a danger waiting to happen. Once people relax with their new devices and they move from worship to regular usage mode, more users might forget to remove them from tight pocket when sitting down, entering car etc. Only time will tell.

There is another thing, much as I understand. iPhones bent ant some point, while other non-metal phones flex instead. Even if presure is below destruction limit, iPhone will remind bent, as is the nature of aluminium. Other plastic phones (tested) will flex back to original shape. Of course if you keep flexing them, they will develop creak and eventually crack plastic or develop different permanent damage... but they are less likely to punish you for single mistake.
  • Reply 210 of 254
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Depends upon which company you're talking about more than what they're talking about. In Apple's case, they always try to distance themselves from any competition by not referencing them directly. If Apple ever says "but this same thing happens to everyone" it's only because they're backed against the wall because that would be admitting to consumers that the Apple brand can be matched by others. For instance, 

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

There are 9 published reports. Only Apple know if and how many people went back to Apple for repair/replacement. I would expect that not everyone with go to Youtube with their experience, so I would expect there are more in the wild. But number might still be relatively small compared to sold quantities.

That being said, it is only, what? 2 weeks since release? It is not a problem that shows right away or doesn't show at all, as it often is with, say, factory faults. It is more of a danger waiting to happen. Once people relax with their new devices and they move from worship to regular usage mode, more users might forget to remove them from tight pocket when sitting down, entering car etc. Only time will tell.

There is another thing, much as I understand. iPhones bent ant some point, while other non-metal phones flex instead. Even if presure is below destruction limit, iPhone will remind bent, as is the nature of aluminium. Other plastic phones (tested) will flex back to original shape. Of course if you keep flexing them, they will develop creak and eventually crack plastic or develop different permanent damage... but they are less likely to punish you for single mistake.

There were only 9 reports made to Apple. Perhaps there additional reports made to carrier stores where the units might have been purchased but that would make little sense because everyone knows Apple makes the phones and offers a 1 year warranty on devices and Apple would have heard about those too. Of course more problems will emerge in the coming months. It happens on the hardware and software end of all phones. But let's keep this in perspective. 10 million phones in one week is a huge sampling. 9 phones in that time period is a rounding error and statistically insignificant. The same would hold true if Samsung released a new Galaxy phone, sold 1 million in a week and had 1 report of a bent phone. Except you would never hear about that report because they're not Apple so no one cares. Aluminum both flexes and stays bent depending upon how much pressure is applied and for how long. Just watch the stress tests. When you put any aluminum phone in your back pocket (Apple describes this as worst case for iPhone frame) and sit just the right way and you are of a certain weight, you will bend any phone. It is not a weakness in the iPhone 6 as much as it's a weakness in aluminum when stressed in that particular way. Please stop warning everyone about this because the case is closed.

• Reply 211 of 254
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    wigby wrote: »
    Depends upon which company you're talking about more than what they're talking about. In Apple's case, they always try to distance themselves from any competition by not referencing them directly. If Apple ever says "but this same thing happens to everyone" it's only because they're backed against the wall because that would be admitting to consumers that the Apple brand can be matched by others. For instance, 
    There were only 9 reports made to Apple. Perhaps there additional reports made to carrier stores where the units might have been purchased but that would make little sense because everyone knows Apple makes the phones and offers a 1 year warranty on devices and Apple would have heard about those too. Of course more problems will emerge in the coming months. It happens on the hardware and software end of all phones. But let's keep this in perspective. 10 million phones in one week is a huge sampling. 9 phones in that time period is a rounding error and statistically insignificant. The same would hold true if Samsung released a new Galaxy phone, sold 1 million in a week and had 1 report of a bent phone. Except you would never hear about that report because they're not Apple so no one cares. Aluminum both flexes and stays bent depending upon how much pressure is applied and for how long. Just watch the stress tests. When you put any aluminum phone in your back pocket (Apple describes this as worst case for iPhone frame) and sit just the right way and you are of a certain weight, you will bend any phone. It is not a weakness in the iPhone 6 as much as it's a weakness in aluminum when stressed in that particular way. Please stop warning everyone about this because the case is closed.

I doubt it's over, give it a month and you'll have more idiots coming forward saying their phones are bent. The genie is out of the box and you can't stop these hit seeking, low end of the gene pool Youtubers from making more videos. Yes, I'm sure you can bend an iPhone 6 if enough pressure is applied, I could never do it but I'm skinny white girl who weighs less than a loaf of bread, I couldn't even bend a hamster if I wanted, not sure why I or anyone would want to bend a hamster, just couldn't think of another thing that was weak, wow, okay, not saying the iPhone 6 is weak either, man it's hard posting in a forum where everyone has a loaded pistol at the ready. I also don't believe the iPhone 6 can bend under normal use, had to say that before those with that nugget of info at the tip of their tongue reply back. Just saying I don't think this silly Bendgate or whatever it's called is quite over, at least not until a class action suite is filed, you know it's going to happen too, some bottom feeder of a lawyer will post a wanted add, seeking individuals with bent iPhones and then try his hand against Apple.
  • Reply 212 of 254
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I doubt it's over, give it a month and you'll have more idiots coming forward saying their phones are bent. The genie is out of the box and you can't stop these hit seeking, low end of the gene pool Youtubers from making more videos. Yes, I'm sure you can bend an iPhone 6 if enough pressure is applied, I could never do it but I'm skinny white girl who weighs less than a loaf of bread, I couldn't even bend a hamster if I wanted, not sure why I or anyone would want to bend a hamster, just couldn't think of another thing that was weak, wow, okay, not saying the iPhone 6 is weak either, man it's hard posting in a forum where everyone has a loaded pistol at the ready. I also don't believe the iPhone 6 can bend under normal use, had to say that before those with that nugget of info at the tip of their tongue reply back. Just saying I don't think this silly Bendgate or whatever it's called is quite over, at least not until a class action suite is filed, you know it's going to happen too, some bottom feeder of a lawyer will post a wanted add, seeking individuals with bent iPhones and then try his hand against Apple.

People will continue to bend their phones intentionally and unintentionally over the next year. I'm just saying that the media hype has already disappeared and moved on. Besides, how many videos can you watch after the first one? The Ice Bucket Challenge videos got boring by the 3rd one and that only lasted a week. 

• Reply 213 of 254
    wigby wrote: »
    The Ice Bucket Challenge videos got boring by the 3rd one and that only lasted a week.

I saw them for about a 4 month period on Facebook.
  • Reply 214 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

The Ice Bucket Challenge videos got boring by the 3rd one and that only lasted a week.

I saw them for about a 4 month period on Facebook.

I didn't see any. Sorry to pour cold water on the topic.

• Reply 215 of 254

You should really visit more sites there Benji, though I agree naked dwarf sugar free blueberry jello wrestling is interesting, I just think there might be more out there that might interest you as well. Have you seen shaved bunny skeet shooting?
  • Reply 216 of 254
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You should really visit more sites there Benji, though I agree naked dwarf sugar free blueberry jello wrestling is interesting, I just think there might be more out there that might interest you as well. Have you seen shaved bunny skeet shooting?

I'm speechless.

• Reply 217 of 254

I'm speechless.

Really, would it have helped if I said the bunnies still had hare.
  • Reply 218 of 254
    relic wrote: »

I'm speechless.

Well there's a first.
  • Reply 219 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm speechless.

Well there's a first.

Would that more were on this forum, who post the same thing over and over again like a goldfish.

• Reply 220 of 254
    muppetry wrote: »

relic wrote: »

I'm speechless.

Well there's a first.

Would that more were on this forum, who post the same thing over and over again like a goldfish.

You mean like repeatedly denouncing the Apple Watch, or repeatedly asserting the iPhone to have a design flaw, or repeatedly condemning Tim Cook as incompetent, without ever addressing any of the counter-arguments? By all means - stop being a goldfish then.