Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 254
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iVince View Post

Fair enough, just adding some balance as your post made it sound like the iPhone isn't especially durable from drops citing one broken screen...  The aluminum also doesn't just "look good", it has been strengthened to be durable.  From Apple, "constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry" ..  But it just "looks good?"

That wasn't what the poster who I responded too said, nothing about titanium, just said Aluminium and I don't really care if it is a certain grade of alu, cut it every which way you like, it's still Aluminium. You don't have to fight me on this, I know the iPhone 6 is better,  but it's certaintly not a market leader when it come stoo toughnes, that is all what I was saying to the guy.

• Reply 242 of 254
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »
    I never said they weren't but market leader in this field their not.

Not to nitpick, but lately you've been writing defiantly for definitely.
  • Reply 243 of 254
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Market leader, I haven't heard that yet, nor do I think I will, their defiantly a little better than the iPhone 5s. If you want tough, grab a Lumia phone but tough is not a word that comes to mind when I think of Apple gear, especially the iPhone. I've already seen one person with a cracked iPhone 6 Screen, a nurse, she dropped it while opening up her locker. My Lumia 1020 could have easily survived that drop, heck I could toss it across the room without any ill affect, but it was also built to do that. The iPhone 6 is average when it comes to overall toughness. As far as advantages are concerned for using Aluminium, well it looks good, that's about it, not a very strong metal. I've dropped my Lenovo X230 without so much as a scratch but when my son dropped my MacBook Air, it bent in several places, the body came apart and the screen cracked. No, I would like to see Apple use carbon fiber or some other material for a change, aluminium is getting kind of old. I am very happy to hear that after Apple lost a 53 million dollar lawsuit because of their refusal to replace water damaged iPhones under warranty they decided to beaf up the seals a little and make their phones more water resistant, though I'm sure you can't bathe with it as you can with a Sony Z phone ot tablet, good start though.

I know this post sounds a little anti Apple but it actually isnt, it shows that Apple trully is improving their products with every iteration. No one has the perfect phone, now if they could only add anther gig of memory.

Not a market leader?  They sold 10 million phones in one weekend - I assure you it's a market leader.

Secondly, one case of a phone being damaged from a fall does not indicate the overall reliability of the phone in such case.   I've seen lots of people with cracked screens, but that doesn't mean anything either.    I had the opposite happen:   I slid my iPhone 5 into what I thought was the inner breast pocket of my winter coat, but I actually just put it through the slot in the liner and it fell onto the concrete floor of the subway platform, then bounced off the platform and onto the subway tracks.    It was NOT in a case at the time.   I got the phone back and it had no damage (I did add a case after that incident).    But I won't contend that my case was typical either - I was just lucky as it must have not hit the most stressful points of the device.    My previous iPhone 4s also slipped out of my hands at least 50 times with no damage, but that doesn't mean anything either.  

You have to look at the overall statistics on cracked screens, etc., to understand the reliability (or not).   

Carbon fibre is not necessarily an answer as even though it's rigid,  it's also very brittle.   I think Apple knows a little more about design than you do. 

• Reply 244 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Not a market leader?  They sold 10 million phones in one weekend - I assure you it's a market leader.

Secondly, one case of a phone being damaged from a fall does not indicate the overall reliability of the phone in such case.   I've seen lots of people with cracked screens, but that doesn't mean anything either.    I had the opposite happen:   I slid my iPhone 5 into what I thought was the inner breast pocket of my winter coat, but I actually just put it through the slot in the liner and it fell onto the concrete floor of the subway platform, then bounced off the platform and onto the subway tracks.    It was NOT in a case at the time.   I got the phone back and it had no damage (I did add a case after that incident).    But I won't contend that my case was typical either - I was just lucky as it must have not hit the most stressful points of the device.    My previous iPhone 4s also slipped out of my hands at least 50 times with no damage, but that doesn't mean anything either.

You have to look at the overall statistics on cracked screens, etc., to understand the reliability (or not).  

Carbon fibre is not necessarily an answer as even though it's rigid,  it's also very brittle.   I think Apple knows a little more about design than you do.

Ugh, fine you win, I'm too tired to argue, you no that I meant Market Leader in durability not sales, two different things. I'm glad the iPhone 6 is stronger, yaaaayy. Goodnight.

• Reply 245 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not to nitpick, but lately you've been writing defiantly for definitely.

I'm currently using French as my default language, so I'm not spell checking English, thanks, I'll be more mindfull of it in the future.

• Reply 246 of 254
    I'm currently using French as my default language, so I'm not spell checking English, thanks, I'll be more mindfull of it in the future.

C'est bon, s'il vous plaît, je ne sais quoi, mon ami. That's all the French I know, oh and something about avec moi. :lol:
  • Reply 247 of 254
    dasanman69 wrote: »

C'est bon, s'il vous plaît, je ne sais quoi, mon ami. That's all the French I know, oh and something about avec moi. :lol:

Tant pis.

Peut-être, vous êtes un jack de toutes commerces, un maître de zéro. ????
  • Reply 248 of 254
    Tant pis.

Peut-être, vous êtes un jack de toutes commerces, un maître de zéro. ????

Hey, I resemble that remark. :lol:
  • Reply 249 of 254
    zoetmb wrote: »

Ugh, fine you win, I'm too tired to argue, you no that I meant Market Leader in durability not sales, two different things. I'm glad the iPhone 6 is stronger, yaaaayy. Goodnight.

Hope you sleep well. ????
  • Reply 250 of 254
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Hardly.

It's the bendiest one yet. I know you and the Relic family have a penchant for dropping them and smashing the screens; whether the bendiness will help or hinder your dropping, I could not say. ????

"I know you and the Relic family".  No you don't.  

"Penchant for dropping"... no I don't thanks.

• Reply 251 of 254
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That wasn't what the poster who I responded too said, nothing about titanium, just said Aluminium and I don't really care if it is a certain grade of alu, cut it every which way you like, it's still Aluminium. You don't have to fight me on this, I know the iPhone 6 is better,  but it's certaintly not a market leader when it come stoo toughnes, that is all what I was saying to the guy.

Not fighting to be honest, just responding on certain points that I thought were wrong.  For instance you said aluminum "just looks good and not much else' or words to the effect.  I don't know whether it is or isn't a market leader, it probably isn't, but I found an article that suggested it compared very well with other phones in durability tests.

• Reply 252 of 254
    ivince wrote: »
    Hardly.

It's the bendiest one yet. I know you and the Relic family have a penchant for dropping them and smashing the screens; whether the bendiness will help or hinder your dropping, I could not say. ????

"I know you and the Relic family".  No you don't.  
    "Penchant for dropping"... no I don't thanks.

Yes, I do.

I didn't realise you were a member of Relic's family.
  • Reply 253 of 254
    Most durable iPhone yet, great, not disputing that at all, most durable phone yet, no, comes close, no. Look, that's okay, still a great phone, still durable, just not a market leader in that category.

I appreciate that, but I felt like people are just ignoring all the physical aspects of smartphone design that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus do right and are focusing only on this "bending" thing that takes way more than a normal use amount of force to do. Why do we only hear about bending? Why when anybody recognizes my phone they guffaw and ask, "Durrrrr, has it bent yet?" Not, "Wow, that's a nice screen," or, "Holy moley that thing is crazy fast!" I must admit though, that when I let them handle it the, "Wow that is really light and thin, but still feels pretty solid," does often follow. Whatever Apple does is scrutinized way more closely than any of its competitors, good things and bad.