Apple Watch steals the spotlight during Paris Fashion Week

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
Huge crowds --?and some of the world's most sought-after models --?greeted the Apple Watch during its Tuesday debut in Paris, as the wrist-worn device captivated the attention of the glitterati in town for Paris Fashion Week.

The display was a strictly hands-off affair for the public, but Apple seems to have made some exceptions for some of its more high-profile fans. Supermodel Karlie Kloss Instagrammed a photo of herself wearing what appears to be the Apple Watch Sport with a white band, tagging it "#iWant."

Madame Figaro Editor-in-Chief Jean-Seb Stehli tweeted that he found the Apple Watch "vey [sic] cool once you try it on." La MJC co-founder Michael Dupouy, a famous name in the "street style" movement, called it "very nice."

Introduction in #Paris of the #AppleWatch at @coletteparis. Vey cool once you try it on. pic.twitter.com/G7uryVPJsd

-- Jean-Seb Stehli (@jsstehli)

The same courtesy was presumably extended to Vogue editor Anna Wintour and Chanel creative head Karl Lagerfeld -- who were given a personal introduction to the Apple Watch by Jony Ive earlier in the day -- though no photos of them wearing the device have circulated.

The public faced a more daunting wait, however. Lines extended around the block, and the interior of host boutique Colette was packed with eager viewers. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a tweet that it was "amazing to see the excited crowds today in Paris to preview Apple Watch for the first time."

The waiting line *just* to preview the #AppleWatch in Paris. I guess I will be here the whole afternoon. pic.twitter.com/lDuWjPpYiT

-- Eric Castro (@_eric_castro)

Amazing to see the excited crowds today in Paris to preview Apple Watch for the first time at @coletteparis pic.twitter.com/YTqzbqSGhC

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    But...But.. Samsung
  • Reply 2 of 43
    So. . .if the Apple Watch is really the "meh" all you "cognoscenti" are proclaiming, then what's the explanation for the crowds? Hmm?

BTW, I think the smaller Apple Watch looks great on Karlie Kloss' pretty wrist.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

So. . .if the Apple Watch is really the "meh" all you "cognoscenti" are proclaiming, then what's the explanation for the crowds? Hmm?

It's because of Apple's marketing. Their department has agents all over the world who go into people's homes and force them, at gunpoint, to purchase Apple products. Apple products on their own do not illicit any excitement nor desire on their own merits; people don't clamor for them due to their appeal, design, aesthetic, quality or ease of use.

To wit, if you look closely at the Karlie Kloss photo above, to the left of the uncropped photo you will see an Apple marketing employee with a gun in her hand whispering in Karlie's ear, most likely something along the lines of, "What you have on your wrist sucks. But please feign excitement and desire. I do see that Galaxy Gear watch in your purse." 

It's all smoke and mirrors, which has somehow, according to Apple critics, been going on since 1984. You'd think the money-spending public would've caught on by now, but the Apple marketing department is very, very convincing at getting people to part with their money. 

/sarcasm

• Reply 4 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

But...But.. Samsung

Can you not just leave out these sarcastic references to that company. This post is about the Apple watch.

• Reply 5 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It's because of Apple's marketing. Their department has agents all over the world who go into people's homes and force them, at gunpoint, to purchase Apple products.

/sarcasm

We're lucky you added that disclaimer at the bottom ;-)

• Reply 6 of 43
    Lol, the first pic AI posts has a comment about "...but that watch is for the toilet". Anyone else catch that?
  • Reply 7 of 43

Hopefully something like this gives pause to the incessant, sight-unseen whining about the aesthetics of AppleWatch from some AI posters....

• Reply 8 of 43
    I have to think that Angela Ahrendts has been quite the helpful hire with this project. Smart company.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    hilarious

• Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

But...But.. Samsung

Can you not just leave out these sarcastic references to that company. This post is about the Apple watch.

Oh, chill. It was a perfectly legitimate post, considering how many people refer to AppleWatch as being late to the game given that Samsung has already introduced a watch.

• Reply 11 of 43
    A new era indeed begins. Good or bad is yet to be determined.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    The Apple Watch is clearly a total flop. /s

Me thinks the Apple Watch will be the first device I like more than my iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

I suppose the wrist band can be easily bent.

• Reply 14 of 43
    I heard someone put an Apple watch on his wrist and the band bent. True story.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Yeah, i'm gonna take fashion advice from a guy wearing a "F%u2022ck It" hat, lol
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Won't be purchasing first iteration of watch but would only consider smaller one. For same reason I purchased iPhone 6, better suited to me.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Hopefully something like this gives pause to the incessant, sight-unseen whining about the aesthetics of AppleWatch from some AI posters....

It's nowhere near the interest for an iPhone that's for sure:

[VIDEO]

Also, the aesthetics aren't sight-unseen, they're in the video. They'll look like that in real-life.

No crown just a button, run finger round bezel to zoom, application page dots - run one finger round edge to switch apps list out (can work like an eclipse), clock can stay in the middle if needs be, circle zoom animation like iOS on opening apps to full circle and back out with tap of home button, contacts are double-tap.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Wait, round?!

• Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

hilarious

okay funny, but people should invest their time in something more productive, I wish I had that kind to time to make movies with that level of production quality.

• Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope the CIA looking security does a better job than real CIA did for Obama