Bose and Apple's Beats announce settlement of patent infringement lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

so Apple has taken your advice on how to make money?

Yeah.  My advice to them was "Keep doing whatever you plan to do and don't listen to people like me and AdonisSMU".  What's you're advice to them that's worth heeding?

• Reply 22 of 101

Interesting sidebar: if you fine a player $10,000 for wearing a non-conforming headphone, what do you fine a NFL Commissioner who has brought shame and disgust down on the NFL for his repugnant behavior, dishonesty and neglect?

• Reply 23 of 101
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Good, this shows Tim Cook is a man that just wants to focus on products not law suits. Looking forward to next week's event.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    and you know this how?

Bose/Beats were probably in negotiations about this for years. 

Do your self a favor.  Let the BIG BOYS take care of business.  You obviously don't know a thing about running a $600B company.

Probably nothing - If you knew how to read you would have seen it was filed in July. HELLO?
  • Reply 25 of 101
    and Bose doesn't?

Its all relative.  I have speakers that are half the price of Bose and totally destroy them.

Relative not. Show me a review of a Beats Pill speaker that's rated better than a Bose Soundlink Mini speaker. You actually think Beats speakers are better than Bose? I'm not saying Bose are great but Beats are bottom of the barrel.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Just because it was FILED in July does not mean both sides did not have discussions about this for years.

Companies rarely just file a suit without contacting the other party in advance.

Are you really that dense? Beats just came out with noise canceling headphones. Years??????I
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

and Bose doesn't?

Its all relative.  I have speakers that are half the price of Bose and totally destroy them.

I have Andrew Jones designed Pioneers I'll put up against any set of Bose speakers. I'll win, especially when they're connected to my TEAC bookshelf system. :D

Beats is improving. I am aware their stuff was made by Monster, and now that it's not it's been improving. Go figure. Most reviews said that the Solo 2's were pretty darn good. Besides, they're playback headphones, not reference headphones.

• Reply 28 of 101

Wow..... What a thread! Clash of the Titans. But it's starting to get ugly.

• Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

If you knew how to read you would have seen it was filed in July. HELLO?

[edit... redundant]

Apple Stores SELL.  Bose doesn't want to be the one telling their high net worth customers to hoof it to another store to buy earphones that are slightly better than Beats or Sennheiser or HK or whatever Apple places at eye level.  Apple doesn't care, and has lawyers that are battle tested, and a war chest that could chew Bose up.

I'm sensing the dropping off the shelves was Apple Telling Bose, 'how much is this worth to you?'  and Bose saying, "not that much"

• Reply 30 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So you want Apple to carry Samdung phones in their stores also?
    You don't carry your competitors products in your store.

So Apple shouldn't carry 3rd party iPhone and iPad cases because they make their own?
  • Reply 31 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Last time I looked you could buy MS Office in the Apple Store.

I was surprised to still see the Nest smoke detectors still being sold at the Apple Store in SF.  

• Reply 32 of 101
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Last time I looked you could buy MS Office in the Apple Store.
    MS Office helps Apple sell more Macs. Bose doesn't help Apple sell more products. They compete against Apple's Beats.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    Good move, Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 101

Bose will lose in the longer term regardless.

Kick them out the the Apple Stores.

Time will tell.

• Reply 35 of 101
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Relative not. Show me a review of a Beats Pill speaker that's rated better than a Bose Soundlink Mini speaker. You actually think Beats speakers are better than Bose? I'm not saying Bose are great but Beats are bottom of the barrel.
    Bottom of the barrel or not, they sure sell a lot of them and at a premium price. Apple will make them even better in the long run.
  • Reply 36 of 101

Bose will lose in the longer term regardless.
    Kick them out the the Apple Stores.

Time will tell.

Apple probably planned this month's ago in order to get Beats to sell better.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    n2macs wrote: »
    Bottom of the barrel or not, they sure sell a lot of them and at a premium price. Apple will make them even better in the long run.

I agree that Apple will sell more now that they will remove Bose from their stores. Why would Apple sell a competitor's product?
  • Reply 38 of 101
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Do you sell competitor's products in your store?

So you expect Apple to stop selling Bose speakers in their store because they now have their own. What about other accessories like monitors, keyboards, mice, cables, etc. Apple makes those too, pull the other brands too, that's what your implying, ridiculous.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Do you sell competitor's products in your store?

Nordstrom does. Many others, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I was surprised to still see the Nest smoke detectors still being sold at the Apple Store in SF.  

What Apple product competes with Nest smoke detectors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why would Apple sell a competitor's product?

For profit.

They just need to decide how core a given product is to its brand. Look at all the different brands of cases you see in an Apple store. It makes sense to offer a LifeProof case in their store, because some customers are going to buy that product, regardless of local availability. Yes, they may lose a SmartCase sale that day, but at least the LifeProof margin stays in the store rather than ending up at Amazon.

My son wanted a bluetooth speaker, and we went to the Apple store. He was on the fence with several of them, but ended up going with the Beats (his money, whatever). If there was not such a good selection at the Apple store, we would have bought elsewhere.

• Reply 40 of 101
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    h2p wrote: »
    Hmm. It may have been the rumor that had Bose "give in." We know how long patent suits can go on à la Samsung. (I believe that Samsung earned $8 billion in the time it took them to lose $1 billion in a lawsuit -- even that got knocked down.) i'm thinking that Bose knew how much money they could make by having their items in Apple stores.

Yup.. Imho..win win !
    Its goid to have Bose at apple store !