Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

1151617181921»

Comments

• Reply 401 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    foad wrote: »

While similar there are a few differences, including a critical one. Apple doesn't know what you are purchasing whereas Google does. ? Pay is only providing authentication.

Touch ID is faster than having to turn on and input your PIN. Apple works with each bank to get a representational card number, whereas Google uses a Bancorp issued MasterCard number to route your purchases in a pseudo-tokenization through a 3rd--party. I think it's also only available with Android 4.4 which means relatively few Android-based devices compared to those that will be able to do it with the iPhone 5 and up on iOS 8.x soon enough.

I'm guessing Google will adopt Apple's solution because it's significantly better.
  • Reply 402 of 418
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    For **** sake stop trying to claim Google Wallet is the same as ?Pay. No one is believing your half-truth answers.

This should clear things up.

http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html
  • Reply 403 of 418
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    For **** sake stop trying to claim Google Wallet is the same as ?Pay. No one is believing your half-truth answers.

I didn't say they were the exactly the same. They are not exactly the same. I said they take the same amount of time to use to pay. Which they do. Relax.
    foad wrote: »

While similar there are a few differences, including a critical one. Apple doesn't know what you are purchasing whereas Google does. ? Pay is only providing authentication.

Correct. I was talking about that they take the same amount of time to use to pay. That's all.
  • Reply 404 of 418
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    This should clear things up.

http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html

Yikes!

Q: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use Google Wallet for tap and pay?
    A: You will need to be connected to the internet in order to unlock the app with your 4-digit security PIN and tap and pay in stores.

Double yikes!

Q: How does Google Wallet protect my payment credentials?
    A: Google Wallet stores your credit and debit cards on secure servers.
  • Reply 405 of 418
    Yikes!

Q: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use Google Wallet for tap and pay?
    A: You will need to be connected to the internet in order to unlock the app with your 4-digit security PIN and tap and pay in stores.

Double yikes!

A:Google Wallet stores your credit and debit cards on secure servers.

I give them an A for a good idea, but a big fat F for the implementation, and lax security.
  • Reply 406 of 418
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I give them an A for a good idea, but a big fat F for the implementation, and lax security.

I don't. The implementation is the idea in this instance. One of their FAQ is what info Google Wallet stores about transactions without having a FAQ about what Google stores about your transactions.
  • Reply 407 of 418
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Google Wallet is just as fast/quick and convenient as Apple Pay. They both take the same amount of time to use. Google Wallet also does not use my CC #. It uses a virtual #.

But Google Wallet isn't secured with a fingerprint.

• Reply 408 of 418
    I don't. The implementation is the idea in this instance. One of their FAQ is what info Google Wallet stores about transactions without having a FAQ about what Google stores about your transactions.

I meant the overall idea of consolidating a mobile payment solution to it's users instead of a carrier based solution like it is in other countries.
  • Reply 409 of 418
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Double yikes!

A: Google Wallet stores your credit and debit cards on secure servers.

Remind me where and how the 800 million credit cards that Apple has on file for iTunes are stored?

Look! I'm not disagreeing that Apple Pay is better in the implementation. It is. No questions about that. But when someone says that Apple Pay is faster than Google Wallet, that is false. That's all I was saying.

The funny thing is, that people think all that you have to do with Apple Pay is tap, hold finger to touchid, pay, and leave. That's not how it's going to be. You'll have confused cashiers, despite the so called training, questions to answer through the NFC POS terminal, some not working, multiple attempts for same transaction and more.

Apple Pay is amazing and fantastic for the overall industry. I'm extremely excited about it and can't wait to use it. People just seem to think this is the Holy grail and it's not.
  • Reply 410 of 418
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Remind me where and how the 800 million credit cards that Apple has on file for iTunes are stored?

THAT IS NOT ?PAY!
    But when someone says that Apple Pay is faster than Google Wallet, that is false.

How can you know that for sure. I would say ?Pay is probably faster and more convenient because using Touch ID is easier and faster than typing in a PIN. Of course, Google Wallet doesn't have the Secure Element so perhaps access to it on the NAND in the OS is faster than Apple's discrete solution built with security in mind. That said, I would wager that the time difference between accessing and decrypting the data is much smaller between devices than the average person using Touch ID v looking at their device to input a PIN accurately.

On the ?Watch the PIN is inputted once after you put it on so that may be even faster than an iPhone with ?Pay since you just press the button on the side,twice.
    The funny thing is, that people think all that you have to do with Apple Pay is tap, hold finger to touchid, pay, and leave. That's not how it's going to be. You'll have confused cashiers, despite the so called training, questions to answer through the NFC POS terminal, some not working, multiple attempts for same transaction and more.

That's no different than any other new technology and all NFC-based solutions are on equal ground there. Plus, since this has been around a long time stores that have long since adopted it, like McDonald's will be fine; it will be the customers that will probably be the biggest hurdle at first, but, again, no different than those using Google Wallet for the first time.
    Apple Pay is amazing and fantastic for the overall industry. I'm extremely excited about it and can't wait to use it. People just seem to think this is the Holy grail and it's not.

Me too, but most of all I'm excited about how this will change for everyone, not just Apple and their customers. The banks will already have the solution with ?Pay so there is no reason Google Wallet or anyone else to jump on board.

Now Apple could have done a shitty thing like preventing the financial institutions from partnering with Google et al. but i feel that would be petty and shortsighted, if they have done that.

Google will still have an issue with the Secure Element but perhaps they can work with various companies to make something that OEMs can work into their devices.
  • Reply 411 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

THAT IS NOT ?PAY!

How can you know that for sure. I would say ?Pay is probably faster and more convenient because using Touch ID is easier and faster than typing in a PIN. Of course, Google Wallet doesn't have the Secure Element so perhaps access to it on the NAND in the OS is faster than Apple's discrete solution built with security in mind. That said, I would wager that the time difference between accessing and decrypting the data is much smaller between devices than the average person using Touch ID v looking at their device to input a PIN accurately.

Google will still have an issue with the Secure Element but perhaps they can work with various companies to make something that OEMs can work into their devices.

Google Wallet was redesigned in Kitkat to get around the traditional requirement of a secure element (thus removing the excuse that carriers previously used to disable it on their branded devices)  by using Host Card Emulation instead (http://www.paymentscardsandmobile.com/visa-mastercard-support-host-card-emulation/).

• Reply 412 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How can you know that for sure. I would say ?Pay is probably faster and more convenient because using Touch ID is easier and faster than typing in a PIN.

I think Google Wallet is about two years faster :P

Is Apple Pay going to be better than Wallet? I absolutely believe so. Will Google follow? Maybe. The point is, I have endured the horrors of entering my PIN while I wait in line, then scanning the phone, grabbing my bag, and tipping the f--k out of the store for two years. Not many stores, but it's still part of my experience. Apple will make it even better for me. Yay.

• Reply 413 of 418
    I think Google Wallet is about two years faster :P

I have to give you that one. :D
  • Reply 414 of 418

Simple: speed, convenience and safety.

Particularly in the instance of convenience purchases of small items or food, or simply when people are in a hurry or impatient, a long slow line can cause some people to decide not to shop or to abandon the line.

When you have an instant payment method that becomes universal, such as NFC cards in many places of Asia or Europe, lines move a lot faster, customers are happier and merchants sell more.

Perhaps it's difficult to imagine for people conditioned to standing in long lines, but as a customer, wouldn't you be happier in a fast moving line?

So the incentive for merchants is make the system run faster and have happier customers (if that matters to them - maybe not in some cases).

• Reply 415 of 418
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

They make too much money for doing almost nothing but processing payments, which is all electronic and automated!!!

Electricity and infrastructure sure don’t require money or anything¡

• Reply 416 of 418
    Don't think I'll be shopping at any of these retailers, anyway. Sears is dead in the water, regardless. Nothing but really bad servive experiences with them personally.
  • Reply 417 of 418
    In connection with credit and debit cards, have you heard about hacking a year ago? Hackers gained access to as many 40 million credit and debit cards used by customers of Target during the height of the holiday shopping season. Indeed, hacking is really common! A company like the Target should have a staff just to monitor transactions to shun incident like this. Oh well, I think this will really affect the perception of safety and the trust of the customers as well.