Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

Comments

• Reply 281 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It's well known that none of those three types of businesses are allowed to take cash but you can't prove it's true? image

2)

Great links for losers. 

• Reply 282 of 418
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

There is a significant mismatch with the title of this article and the text.... Here, I've fixed it so they match...

Major retailers MAY show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

It’s called “clickbait”...

• Reply 283 of 418
    When these retailers see their revenues drop because consumers demonstrate that they are sick and tired of fraudulent transactions and leaked personal data, they will quickly change their minds.
  • Reply 284 of 418

Egyptian, actually.

Yes, Egyptian. Of course. I knew that....:embarrass
  • Reply 285 of 418
    solipsismx wrote: »

I don't get what you wrote. I think Apple will have sold over 15 MM iPhone 6 series in the US by the time it goes live.

I wish you'd focus on the larger point instead on nitpicking over guesstimates. That point again, in case you missed it, was: by the time of ApplePay intro (which is the next week or two), Apple may not have a sufficiently large user base with the 6/6+ for every retailer to justify making the hardware investment. The fact that ApplePay is currently US-only makes this even more salient.
  • Reply 286 of 418
    With Chase sending me my second batch of cards because their system was compromised again, that%u2019s twice in 18 months, why rush into a better system? Keep sending me the magnetic stripped cards, while Europe is years ahead of us and Apple has an ever better system.

The arrogance and ignorance of our so called financial leadership amazes me. And this follows JP Morgan and BOA being fined record amounts into the tens of billions for participating in the mortgage backed securities fraud last decade.
  • Reply 287 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wish you'd focus on the larger point instead on nitpicking over guesstimates. That point again, in case you missed it, was: by the time of ApplePay intro (which is the next week or two), Apple may not have a sufficiently large user base with the 6/6+ for every retailer to justify making the hardware investment. The fact that ApplePay is currently US-only makes this even more salient.

1) I'm usually posting on the go so I usually don't have the luxury, time, or desire to go back through multiple comments to find some deeper point. This means I oft respond to posts as they are stated.

2) I'm still not getting what a week or two has to do with anything. This is going to take awhile, but from what I can tell it looks like Apple will have more NFC-capable devices on the market in the US than all other vendors combined by the end of the year. Combine that with the multinationals and banks behind it along with major companies that already support NFC and I see no reason to say that ?Pay is off to a better start before it's even launched than any other service or product in Apple's history.

3) Give it 3 years.
  • Reply 288 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well, there are quite a few iPhone 6/6+ in the us already and the idea is to sell more by showing how they can be used at the stores.  One hand washes the other:  initial iPhones users show off Apple Pay at the initial stores and upon seeing it used at the stores more people will buy the iPhone and will in turn use Apple Pay and other Stores will also want to save on their credit card fees and support Apple Pay and so on, and so on internationally.  The fact is Apple cannot make iPhones quickly enough but they are trying to meet demand...

Same thing for OnLine Shopping iPhone Apps with Apple Pay support, that will also be HUGE.

This holiday season will be HUGE in the US for new iPhones and Apple Pay supporters.  

Apple is already working on international support.

Quick Web Searches reveal some respectable starting numbers for the US alone...

~ 23,336 + Subways

~ 8,217 Walgreens Stores

~ 47,000 Mc Donald’s 

~ 850 Macy’s

~ 43 Bloomingdales

~ 872 Toys R Us & Babies R Us

~ 1538 Panera Breads

~ 1000 Whole Foods

~ 1000 Petcos

~ 250 Apple Stores

~ 1600 Staples

+ Petco + Sephora + Unleashed + Disney + DUANEreade

Plus Online Application purchases…

Apple

Target

Disney

Groupon

MLB

OpenTable

Panera

Sephora

Starbucks

Tickets.com

Uber

I want to see more public transportation support for Apple Pay. Taxis, Trains, Busses, Planes etc...  I am sure Apple is already working on Apple Pay version 2.  Time will tell.

• Reply 289 of 418

Well, there are quite a few iPhone 6/6+ in the us already and the idea is to sell more by showing how they can be used at the stores.  One hand washes the other:  initial iPhones users show off Apple Pay at the initial stores and upon seeing it used at the stores more people will buy the iPhone and will in turn use Apple Pay and other Stores will also want to save on their credit card fees and support Apple Pay and so on, and so on internationally.  The fact is Apple cannot make iPhones quickly enough but they are trying to meet demand...

Same thing for OnLine Shopping iPhone Apps with Apple Pay support, that will also be HUGE.
    I want to see more public transportation support Apple Pay. Taxis, Trains, Busses, Planes etc...

This holiday season will be HUGE in the US for new iPhones and Apple Pay supporters.  
    Apple is already working on international support.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Quick Web Searches reveal some respectable starting numbers for the US alone...</span>

~ 23,336 + Subways
    ~ 8,217 Walgreens Stores
    ~ 47,000 Mc Donald’s 
    ~ 850 Macy’s
    ~ 43 Bloomingdales
    ~ 872 Toys R Us & Babies R Us
    ~ 1538 Panera Breads
    ~ 1000 Whole Foods
    ~ 1000 Petcos
    ~ 250 Apple Stores
    ~ 1600 Staples
    + Petco + Sephora + Unleashed + Disney + DUANEreade
    <p style="color:rgb(35,35,35);min-height:18px;"> </p>

Plus Online Application purchases…
    Apple
    Target
    Disney
    Groupon
    MLB
    OpenTable
    Panera
    Sephora
    Starbucks
    Tickets.com
    Uber

All true. But I recall reading that there are something like 15M credit card terminals in the US alone (can't point to a link right away to back that up, sorry).

I am not at all questioning the likely blockbuster success of ApplePay. I am simply more patient than some folks here who seem to think that it needs to hit the ground running with every retailer. That will happen, but it'll take time is all I am saying.
  • Reply 290 of 418
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I disagree with the concept that merchants have little to gain with ?Pay.  Merchants are responsible for fraudulent sales declined by the credit cards.  I would think a more secure system would reduce their losses.  I'm always surprised at how little effort merchants put in to checking your identity when you pay with a CC.  I had my wallet stolen once, and within about 40 minutes, the thieves got to the local mall (itself about 20minutes away) and had spent over $1000 at Sunglass Hut and Macy's.  
    That's because they're not supposed to. That's not technically their responsibility. A retailer has no way of verifying your ID, especially since ID fraud is so rampant in the US.

Anyone that works for ANY retail place knows this. Banks will ask to see your drivers license before letting you use your ATM card at a bank clerk, but the ATM doesn't need it. The only requirement for a swipe card is that it's signed. THAT'S IT. Not signed, not allowed to be used. Writing "CHECK ID" on it without signing it just means that they will refuse it if they notice. How often does this happen? Next to never.

When you use electronic payments, the onus is on the retailer to -NOT- intentionally defraud the payment processor, eg by accepting refunds out of policy without approval (damn people who return last years decorations every year.) If you're one of those numbskulls who charges back legit online purchases (gambling sites, MMORPG's, Apple/Google's DLC for games etc) then you're going to be quickly surprised when you're no longer able to buy anything online if Apple Pay becomes a mainstream thing.

Apple Pay, has the potential to not only upend the online payment systems, but the physical payment systems. And if that happens eventually Visa/MC get cut out of the system by operating their own bank. Gotta do something with those billions...
  • Reply 291 of 418
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

as a kid that used to happen to me when I tried to use my debit card. I didnt try to do it on purpose. If I had known I wouldnt have shopped there. I had no choice and left angry. Many customers arent keeping track of every vendor that does or doesnt have Apple Pay and this will happen on occasion. They know its coming they need to start preparing now. Apple and the banks need to hire a team of execs to handle tarining and installation of these new systems.

I see nothing wrong with this.  There's a HUGE difference between what you're talking about and what others are talking about.  You went to a store with the intention of buying something and weren't able to.  Some are suggesting to go grab high ticket items which they have no intention of purchasing, and then wasting everybody's time in the hopes of swaying the store to adopt Apple Pay.

• Reply 292 of 418
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    badmonk wrote: »
    Once there's a security breach at a company (Home Depot, Target), I cut them off for life...and I think others are like me...these companies think their customers are morons or chumps and have no respect for them.

Where Do you shop?
  • Reply 293 of 418

It's alright.

They'll all cave to Apple eventually. 

• Reply 294 of 418
    ibeam wrote: »
    Whatever, I don't leave home without my wallet. I also keep a lot of cash on hand in case of emergencies, plus I tip everyone. The gardener and the housekeeper, and the grocery check out bagger, the car wash help, etc. You can be all modern and carry no cash, I'll stick to my ways.

Not sure what the point of this post is ... ApplePay is a technology for credit transactions, not necessarily to replace cash. Fwiw, my wallet is for cards, I carry cash separately in my pocket (used to use a money clip but don't even do that anymore). And fwiw, I see less and less people carrying wallets where they store their cash and more like me where they just jam the bills and coins into their pockets. The point is that the majority of people are using credit cards more and more for every transaction - just 2 or 3 years ago, stores wouldn't accept credit cards for transactions less than $10 or $25, but now, I see people buying beverages and fast food with credit cards, and the merchants aren't even requiring signatures for the sake of convenience.

That said, when I am in a store or fast food place, I am walking around with my phone in my hand, texting friends and surfing the web while standing in line. It will certainly be much easier for me to simply hit the Touch ID button when paying than to put down my phone and anything else I am carrying to fish my wallet out of my pocket and pull out my credit card. Interestingly enough people complain about two handed operation of the iPhone 6 & 6+, but everytime you pull your credit card out of your wallet, it is impossible to do without two hands.
  • Reply 295 of 418
    I'm not to clear if Apple pay is the existing nfc payment tech or if its actually something new and requires new terminals. Different articles indicate different things.

So far despite being around for a few years now, nfc payments don't seem that popular. Most places in the UK support it, but you hear more incidents of cards being miss read when people didn't intend to use it than you see people actually using it.

So if Apple made something new I can absolutely understand shows not wanting to pay for new readers. What's more or would probably make less people use them due to confusions on compatibility.

Also with the low uptake of people using the nfc chip in their credit cards offered chip and pin, if makes sense not wanting to upgrade.
  • Reply 296 of 418
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    ibeam wrote: »
    All wrong, You need a credit card to travel, unless you are hitchhiking or on Greyhound.
    He is yanking your chain , pay online with cash indeed lol
  • Reply 297 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I'm not to clear if Apple pay is the existing nfc payment tech or if its actually something new and requires new terminals. Different articles indicate different things.

So far despite being around for a few years now, nfc payments don't seem that popular. Most places in the UK support it, but you hear more incidents of cards being miss read when people didn't intend to use it than you see people actually using it.

So if Apple made something new I can absolutely understand shows not wanting to pay for new readers. What's more or would probably make less people use them due to confusions on compatibility.

Also with the low uptake of people using the nfc chip in their credit cards offered chip and pin, if makes sense not wanting to upgrade.

Make no mistake, Apple Pay is very very different from other systems that also use NFC.  

NFC is NFC but it can be used differently.  How many current systems Pop Up your credit card choices and authenticate with Touch ID?

The same way WiFi is used by totally different systems, so can NFC.

As simple as it looks, Apple has many patents behind their systems and Apple is far from done with this first release of Apple Pay.

Tim Cook said that Apple plans to "replace" the Wallet as we know it... so there is much more to do and lots of patents to back it up.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/01/16/327536/apple-patent-combines-nfc-bluetooth-wifi-mobile-payments/

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/apple-files-a-new-iwallet-financial-transaction-patent.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/apple-thinks-outside-the-box-with-cash-dispensing-network.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/06/apple-granted-a-key-iwallet-patent-for-mobile-pay-service.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/07/apple-reveals-new-security-control-features-for-future-iwallet.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/08/apple-reveals-their-new-fraud-detection-identity-system.html

• Reply 298 of 418
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's alright.

They'll all cave to Apple eventually. 

That's what I figure too.  If Apple Pay turns out to be as great as it sounds then more stores will want to adopt it down the road.

• Reply 299 of 418
    Marvin wrote: »
    (for some reason WSJ puts up a paywall if you visit links directly but if you visit them from Google, the paywall isn't there so you might have to google the title to read the whole article)

Sounds like another SEO black trick to get around the search engine rule that says sites have to present the same content to web crawler as visitors. Sites also still skirt the issue by erecting HTML layers over their content, but the content is technically there, if visually obscured. Google's not smart enough or cares enough to curb this practice.
  • Reply 300 of 418
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

It is well known. Please offer links that disprove it.

You are completely psychotic. That’s not even an insult; there is just no other explanation for why you’re behaving like this.

Try reading a dollar bill once.