Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 418
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    "Protect and leverage valuable data to offer your customers better experiences and interactions throughout the path to purchase." Well, doesn't that sound familiar (cough Google cough). So they're going to mine your purchasing habits in order to present offers to you.

There a reason I won't use that system right there! I will NOT  use my credit card or debit card at stores that are going to sell my profile I will use cash.

Your Credit Card Data Is Up For Auction

Did you know that your credit card data is constantly being sold to online advertisers who want to target you with specific ads? Companies like American Express and MasterCard have been doing this for years. Credit card companies are not selling your identifiable data–the buyers don’t know you spend $200 a week on knickknacks on eBay. What they do know is that you are among a certain number of people in your area who buy similar knickknacks in a given week. Advertisers want to target people who will logically buy their products. Credit card companies have a history of your purchases and they have found a way to cash in on that.
  • Reply 42 of 418
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Well, we as consumer should tell them what we would like to use and vote with our feet. Given choice, I would not want to deal with a retailer that doesn't accept Apple, especially in light of recent security breach at Target and Homedepot.

It's not that aren't accepting Apple. It's they aren't accepting NFC payments.
  • Reply 43 of 418
    idrey wrote: »
    I'll be checking for the Apple Pay logo :) I know it will be very limited but it should take off pretty quick because no one has done it in the scale that apple is doing it. Call me a fan boy or what ever, but i see apple pay as one of the best things to come out in resent years to solve a very important issue.

Much agreed. I love that Apple is coming out with this. Its the single biggest thing I've been wanting from them for years. NFC payments. You'll see the Apple Pay logo soon enough along side the Google Wallet logo I already see at the places I use that to purchase my things.

This new update from Apple to activate NFC payments can't come soon enough.
  • Reply 44 of 418
    Okay, screw ‘em. They can be left behind like the companies that didn’t enter the iTunes Music/Movie/TV/Book/App stores. They’ll give in eventually. Problem solved.

I suspect that some hesitation is the loss of transaction information. With the swipe cards they know who you are. Pretty sure with Apple pay they won't.
  • Reply 45 of 418
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

So Apple Pay won't be supported by 100% of retailers at launch? DOOMED!!

No shit, sherlock. This will be vastly different 12 months from now, when consumers start demanding they be able to pay with their iPhones. Also, sad how this site so often just copies and paste headlines from macrumors (such a trash site), and changes a couple words. 

• Reply 46 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

The merchant's themselves, unlike the card issuers and consumers,

don't particularly benefit from the increased security, so have little incentive to purchase compatible equipment,

if they haven't already.

What I think they are overlooking is the same rationale that made cards popular in the first place.  

Ease of use and ready acceptance remove impediments to more casual and impulsive spending...

What merchant doesn't like that?  OK, they all do, but if you already have cards to whip out anyway?

Not true, as least as much as you think. 

Every report of a fraudelent transaction is investigated which means the merchant having to research the issue, produce slips etc. Some major retailers get thousands of requests a day. The time wasted hurts them. Plus as more and more payments occur it costs the processing companies money and that gets passed on in the form of higher processing fees. Again, hurts merchants. 

As for the equipment issue, the processors are pushing NFC to the point of making it all but mandatory by the end of this next year. So merchants may find themselves with little choice, unless they want to pay seriously high fees to continue to take stripe cards

• Reply 47 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other big-name stores are also reticent about plans to adopt Apple's NFC-powered payments initiative, including Bed, Bath & Beyond, department stores Sears, Kmart and Belk, clothing brands H&M and Coach, BP gas stations, grocery chain Publix, and restaurants Chipotle, Pizza Hut and KFC.

If you look at the actual article for several of them it says "At this time" or "do not yet have the equipment" not the suggested "Hell no". They are likely to support Apple Pay, among other options, in the future but need to get up to speed so they don't have a date yet. A few of them might be holding out a bit to see how well the uptake is. If the program turns out to be another Ping why support it. 

• Reply 48 of 418
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    NFC terminals at retail is only part of the ApplePay story. There will be huge adoption with online retailers who will implement ApplePay with just a button on their checkout procedure and some code added to the backend. Most people fear having their credit card and personal data stolen or misused in the online world as much or more than in the physical world. So while Apple Pay slowly rolls out over the two years at the cash register of your favorite stores, it'll be fast tracked online where consumers will quickly learn to shop those site that support Apple Pay and therefore never see your credit card information. It'll make shopping even the most obscure online retailer a trustworthy experience. This is where Apple Pay will gain enormous traction and get iDevice owners used to the idea that Apple Pay should be accepted everywhere.
  • Reply 49 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

As merchants not supporting Apple Pay see a loss of sales they will adapt to Apple Pay.

Maybe, maybe not. yes it's Apple but not everything they do is roses (remember Ping). And folks are more likely to be faithful to a merchant than insisting on a particular way to pay. At least for now. By the time they start to make payment demands, many companies will be up to speed on some system. Might be Apple Pay. Or like with Best Buy and Walmart it might be something else. 

• Reply 50 of 418
    I agree with many of the comments made. Not only will take my business elsewhere I will let them know why. Best Buy seems to be barely hanging on as it is. If consumers jump on this I suspect many of them will be left behind. I forgot my card at a merchant recently. Thank goodness I didn't live that far away. Apple Pay can't get here soon enough.
  • Reply 51 of 418

Well I do think that some of the ones that are not going to support Apple Pay initially also may have exclusive contracts which they can't (easily) get rid off.

I'm in Hong Kong and I'm not holding my breath Apple Pay will be much supported here. But there's always hope...

• Reply 52 of 418
    Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I’m in Hong Kong…

Care to weigh in on the situation? I bet if HK goes independent Apple Pay would be supported.

• Reply 53 of 418
    Any store not on board simply will not get my business. Thats the way I am going to play this out.
  • Reply 54 of 418
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    markymark7 wrote: »
    Also it doesn't mean much just yet, but there are a LOT of new terminals deployed that have slots for the new "chip" cards, but I've been trying them lately and haven't found any that work.
    What? Where do you live? The NEW chip cards? They've been around for a decade.
  • Reply 55 of 418
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

I disagree with the concept that merchants have little to gain with ?Pay.  Merchants are responsible for fraudulent sales declined by the credit cards.

If it’s declined by the credit card company, there is no sale...

You think they run the card, get declined then give it the “customer” anyway?

• Reply 56 of 418
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

One issue that gets overlooked is that merchants like Walmart absolutely despise credit cards and debit cards as it is. They put up with them, but supporting Apple Pay (And ultimately card issuers/banks) right out of the gate sets a bad precedent that they are OK with the status quo when their $5 Billion dollar suit against Visa says otherwise. Best Buy doesn't make a single dollar selling most TV's, game consoles and other hot ticket electronics. Then they need to pay issuer fees and bank fees on top of that. Walmart is just a low margin, high volume business. debit cards and credit cards are counterproductive to those profits. Visa, however, loves it.

Banks since 2008 have smartly shifted their focus from high risk, high reward balance carriers to low risk, steady profit rewards seekers. Discover 5% cash back, Chase Sapphire/Freedom, American Express Membership Rewards, Capital One No Hassle Rewards. These banks want you to put everything on your credit card. I would know, I worked at a credit card call center of a major bank from 2007 thru 2009. Their commission structure shifted from convincing a customer taking cash advances from their card or transferring a large balance, to putting purchases on their card within 90 days of speaking of them. This meant free conversions to cash back, points and 0% purchase rate for 3-months or so. This isn't the 90's when merchants loved Visa or Mastercard because it convinced customers to buy that large item they couldn't afford. This is 2014 when Visa and Mastercard has replaced cash for a large majority of Americans, and that's a very large chunk of change being allocated to the banks.

I feel like this really sums it up. An epic battle that wages through lobbying in congress. The big merchant lobby vs the big bank lobby. Apple clearly sided with the banks with Apple Pay. And some merchants are boarding the Apple train. But I understand why a juggernaut like Walmart will let it play out.

Personally for me, Apple Pay, and the rewards and features that come with my bank are a net positive. I would be sorely disappointed if it failed because some major retailers want to make an inferior alternative so they can grab a bigger piece of the transaction pie.

• Reply 57 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good luck, they'll need it.
  • Reply 58 of 418
    83 known data breaches (not including several major industries such as medical/pharmaceutical) thus far in 2014 which include among others:
    The Evolution Store
    Albertson's
    Viator Inc
    Bartell Hotels
    Beef O'Brady's Restaurants
    The Home Depot
    J.P Morgan Chase
    Dairy Queen
    The UPS Store
    Supervalu
    Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI)
    Wall Street Journal
    The Houstonian Hotel, Club and Spa
    PF Chang's
    Ebay
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
  • Reply 59 of 418
    Okay, screw ‘em. They can be left behind like the companies that didn’t enter the iTunes Music/Movie/TV/Book/App stores. They’ll give in eventually. Problem solved.

Kmart was apparently the latest company whose POS system was hacked. Looks like hackers are being very methodical in their choices now and it'll just take several more rounds of high profile hacks to convince more of these laggards to get onboard.
  • Reply 60 of 418
    In my opinion, Apple should highlight ?Pay partners in Apple Maps. For example, ?Pay partners should appear on Apple Maps well before competitors.