Major retailers show unwillingness to adopt Apple Pay ahead of expected launch

Comments

• Reply 141 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

Any store not on board simply will not get my business. Thats the way I am going to play this out.

So if none of the grocery stores nearby accept ?Pay then you will stop eating. That goes for everything else you regularly pay using your plastic. Just stop and think about it. Are you going to stop going to the dry cleaner you have been using for years, the gas station you use, the car wash, the pub where all your friends hang out, etc? Don't lie. You are not going to inconvenience yourself and change your complete lifestyle just because of ?Pay.

• Reply 142 of 418
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

The same NFC terminal will support different payment systems, in much the same way that current readers support multiple credit cards.

You are correct that Apple's market share is much lower than that of Android, but if there's one thing I've learned, after watching Samsung's phone business collapse overnight, is that market share is not as important as the quality of your customer base. Apple users tend to have more money and are a lot more willing to spend it. They loyal when treated with respect and never forget the retailers who made tainted their experience. It would be a bad business decision to attempt to force them towards an inferior payment solution.

It seems that i've seen on this forum, time and again, though apple has less market share, iPhone owners use their device more often and spend more money than their android counterparts.

• Reply 143 of 418
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Since the plan to upgrade is apparently being driven solely by an alliance between credit card companies, there must be some subsidization or monetary incentive behind it.
    The monetary incentive is the huge and growing MONETARY DISINCENTIVE of sitting on their butts and doing nothing! Old style plastic is starting to cost the card issuers out the wazoo - not only the direct money fraud losses - but also the costs of shutting down and rejiggering accounts, plus producing, distributing and authorizing new physical cards.

As Einstein defined it, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • Reply 144 of 418

What I think everyone that has an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus should do when Apple Pay becomes available, is go into one of the merchant stores not accepting Apple Pay, lets just say Best Buy and grab a $3000 TV, a $700 Home Theater System, A couple thousand dollars in Blu-Rays, then go check out and when the cashier gives you the total due, you say OK I would like to pay with Apple Pay, she says sorry we don't accept Apple Pay, you say have fun putting all that back.

• Reply 145 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jmc54 wrote: »
    It seems that i've seen on this forum, time and again, though apple has less market share, iPhone owners use their device more often and spend more money than their android counterparts.

It was a ridiculous comment for the OP to make because, even excluding per device usage, there are so few Android-based devices that even support NFC today. By the end of this year it's very possible for the iPhone to have more NFC-capable consumer devices actively in the market in the US than all other device manufactures combined.
  • Reply 146 of 418
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

I'm sick and tired of these stores losing our information. We've had to have 5 cards replaced in the past 6 months with 2 being sold and used just last week because of data breaches.

I can't wait to be able to actually shop securely.

It is not required that the merchants store your credit card info on their servers. They do it by choice. The default is to pass the info through to the card processor and then deposit the funds into the merchant's bank account. Storing the info makes it a bit easier to return merchandise but at what risk? That does bring up an interesting question about ?Pay. How do they handle charge backs if they don't know the card info? 

• Reply 147 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottjd View Post

I also saw several comments that mentioned KMart and the breach today. I didn't read all of them but wanted to also mention that Dairy Queen also was breached today.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/10/news/companies/dairy-queen-malware/index.html

Interesting! Walked into a Dairy Queen last night for a little after movie dessert action, and there was a sign on the register: This dairy queen location not affected by malware!

• Reply 148 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

What I think everyone that has an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus should do when Apple Pay becomes available, is go into one of the merchant stores not accepting Apple Pay, lets just say Best Buy and grab a $3000 TV, a $700 Home Theater System, A couple thousand dollars in Blu-Rays, then go check out and when the cashier gives you the total due, you say OK I would like to pay with Apple Pay, she says sorry we don't accept Apple Pay, you say have fun putting all that back.

Yeah, my time is more valuable to do something as illogical as that. Plus, the person helping you has no control over that and is just wrong to do that to another person trying to help you out.

• Reply 149 of 418
    jmc54 wrote: »

Interesting! Walked into a Dairy Queen last night for a little after movie dessert action, and there was a sign on the register: This dairy queen location not affected by malware!

Cash only policy?
  • Reply 150 of 418
    runbuh wrote: »
    If they upgrade to chip and PIN, which is not NFC, why should they pay more to upgrade to NFC?

Oh please. If you actually look at the newest POS terminals that are available from processors, the majority of them ALREADY support contactless payments (NFC).

No manufacturer of a terminal is going to be stupid enough to continue making new terminals that support chip/PIN, but ignore NFC. Basically, merchants will gain NFC capability in their terminals even if they decide (for whatever reason) to not implement it.

Nobody is going to have to "pay more" to get NFC just like I don't have to "pay more" to get Bluetooth in my phone.
  • Reply 151 of 418
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,129member

I'm late to the comment party, but my $.02:

This "who takes what form of payment" is going to have a slow start. There's huge social inertia. Practically all US consumers are going to be toting card packed wallets for some years. Many (like me) will know the security of NFC, and will look to shop where it's available. I have gone to Target exactly once since their gaffe, and I used cash, something I never do. I might go back when ApplePay becomes available.

That being the case, retailers that depend on "spur of the moment" walk up sales are going to benefit soonest. Starbucks, restaurants, drug stores, even grocery: "I forgot my wallet" conversions.

The distant future is all the Amazon model. Retail is essentially dead. The stat I heard was online is 8% of total sales, and that surprised me as low. Long term success is putting devices in people hands that allow them to look for what they want, get a good price, then push "buy"...without ever leaving their chair. There are exceptions of course: like grocery (people wanna see the meat they buy) and some clothes (I hear girls like to shop shoes and make shopping a social experience). I don't understand why B&N isn't giving away free nooks. "Buy 10 books, free reader." YMMV or course, but going to a store to make a purchase I've already settled on is something I loathe and always ALWAYS look to avoid.

There was a time not too long ago that when I went to a restaurant, I looked for the VISA logo on the door. Not everyone took that form of payment, and the result after dining could have been embarrassing. I can see doing that sort of thing with ApplePay. "You take ApplePay?" "No, but we take..." "Oh, sorry. Skip it. See you."

• Reply 152 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Merchants want their own invasive systems in place because they are harvesting customer data through their payment systems. Apple Pay cuts them out of the data harvesting and targeted marketing game so it's natural that they're unwilling to sign up. Some of them are also not convinced that Apple Pay will be successful based on their experience with earlier attempts by Google and others.

Apple should also be driving this technology through organizations and consortiums like the national retail federation (NRF).

Banks love Apple Pay because they stay in the catbird seat, and the credit card companies can continue to collect and sell your collective purchase history, as they've been doing for years. 

• Reply 153 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was a ridiculous comment for the OP to make because, even excluding per device usage, there are so few Android-based devices that even support NFC today. By the end of this year it's very possible for the iPhone to have more NFC-capable consumer devices actively in the market in the US than all other device manufactures combined.

Ehm I didn't post that. The username on the quote in your post is wrong. Bug?

Edit: Could you please fix your post, I don't want to be attributed something I didn't write. Thanks! :)

• Reply 154 of 418
    ibeam wrote: »
    It is not required that the merchants store your credit card info on their servers. They do it by choice. The default is to pass the info through to the card processor and then deposit the funds into the merchant's bank account. Storing the info makes it a bit easier to return merchandise but at what risk? That does bring up an interesting question about ?Pay. How do they handle charge backs if they don't know the card info? 

I'm not sure, but I don't see it being that difficult. The temporary token used to authorize the purchase can't be used to make another purchase, but nobody has said it couldn't be stored by the merchant as a transaction identifier. It could then be used to aid in refunds.
  • Reply 155 of 418
    eacumm wrote: »

We should do that with every store who has emphatically stated they won't support ?Pay; i.e. Best Buy and Walmart.
  • Reply 156 of 418
    Best Buy is, and has been for decades, my big boy's Toy Store, but should they deny %uF8FFPay as an option to pay, it's bye bye Best Buy! With that said, it's a bit premature to assert that they will not, at some point, find the benefit of %uF8FFPay!
  • Reply 157 of 418
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cash only policy?

last night it was!

• Reply 158 of 418
    I'm almost certain that the only reason Pest Buy and Thrall-Mart are not wanting to use APPLE PAY is because of their heavy promoting of Samsung and Windows 8 that miserably failed and caused the disowning of not only me but iPhone owners as well as Mac owners across the U.S.
  • Reply 159 of 418
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Ehm I didn't post that. The username on the quote in your post is wrong. Bug?

Edit: Could you please fix your post, I don't want to be attributed something I didn't write. Thanks! :)

Most likely human error from hitting the quote button for a post you did right and then removing it, but accidentally keeping your name and the removing [@]jmc54[/@]'s.

eacumm wrote:
    We should do that with every store who has emphatically stated they won't support ?Pay; i.e. Best Buy and Walmart.

I certainly won't be doing that. I want convenience. If a store doesn't offer the convenience I want then I simply won't shop there. Adding extra work to the poor saps that are trying to scrap out a living with a retail job that pays less than half a living wage don't need any additional crap from us; it's not like it's their fault those company's don't accept ?Pay.
  • Reply 160 of 418
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I certainly won't be doing that. I want convenience. If a store doesn't offer the convenience I want then I simply won't shop there. Adding extra work to the poor saps that are trying to scrap out a living with a retail job that pays less than half a living wage don't need any additional crap from us; it's not like it's their fault those company's don't accept ?Pay.

I guess you don't support Apple.  http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182765/major-retailers-show-unwillingness-to-adopt-apple-pay-ahead-of-expected-launch/120#post_2617348

And just think of the great impression you'll leave in regards to Apple and Apple users!  Go team go!  :P