Purported next-gen iPad Air logic board shows 2GB of RAM, A8X chip

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
With new iPad Air and iPad mini models expected to be introduced on Thursday, a newly leaked logic board claimed to be from a 2014 iPad Air purports to show an A8X processor, as well as an Elpida RAM module with 2 gigabytes of memory.

The alleged iPad Air board was discovered on Monday by Apple.club.tw, which took a closer look at the Elpida RAM module. The numbers on the chip suggest that it hosts 2 gigabytes of RAM, which would be double that of previous generation models.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both have one gigabyte of RAM, as did iPhone models before them dating back to the iPhone 5.

Also of note is the chip, identified as "A8X." The A8 processor was introduced with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but the labeling on the alleged iPad Air logic board would suggest that the new iPads could receive beefed-up versions of the A8 CPU.

Last year, the iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display all ran the same A7 processor, though clocked at different speeds. The last time Apple used an 'X' signifier on one of its custom processors came in late 2012 inside a fourth-generation full-size iPad, boasting a 30 percent larger chip and faster graphics than the A6 chip that was in the iPhone 5.

iPad Air

Separately, Macotakara reported on Monday that Apple is also set to introduce a third-generation iPad mini with high-resolution Retina display this week. The debut of a new iPad mini would not be surprising, given that the first two models were both introduced in October, but some recent reports had suggested that it may not launch until 2015.

It's expected that both the new iPad mini and a next-generation iPad Air will feature Touch ID fingerprint sensing home buttons.

Monday's report claimed that the side buttons on the new iPads will be slightly modified. It's expected that new recessed buttons will be featured on the next-generation models.

Finally, the report also vaguely indicated that Apple's lineup of magnetic Smart Covers and Smart Cases will be "slightly changed," but didn't offer any further details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107

Real.

• Reply 2 of 107
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Looks like I will be upgrading my ipad.

• Reply 3 of 107

I suppose this means that you'll be able to have more Safari tabs open without them reloading.

Why does Apple have to give us what we want?

• Reply 4 of 107
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I suppose this means that you'll be able to have more Safari tabs open without them reloading.

No, this means it'd take more processing power to run the dual domain pixels "Retina HD" and maybe some new multitasking job likes split screens?

BTW, it seems that Retina Mini won't be updated and will drop the price to $299, Mini to $199 and eventually phased out after next year...

• Reply 5 of 107

It's supposed to be a slippery slope: you have to start whining about not having 4GB of RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    No, this means it'd take more processing power to run the dual domain pixels "Retina HD" and maybe some new multitasking job likes split screens?

I'll be surprised if the iPad resolution jumps this week for the 9.7".
  • Reply 7 of 107
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

I noticed my current iPad Air has stuttering issues, and a few snags here and there. Stuff you usually see on Android. Here's to hoping that going back to the X brand chips solve that.

• Reply 8 of 107
    I assume they'll call it the IPad Air S. /s
  • Reply 9 of 107
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

"Leaked" iPhone 6 motherboards also showed 2GB. Glad if this is true though. My iPad with 1GB RAM boots apps out of memory way faster than my Android phone with 2GB. People can say iOS is lighter all they want, and it may be true, but it's not enough to make up for double or triple the physical memory. 

• Reply 10 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

As it is Apple's aim to surprise and delight us, I expect it to jump.

• Reply 11 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

iPads should be more powerful than iPhones, so it's good that there's an A8x in there, and it's also good that there is 2 GB of RAM.

I've also always felt that iPads should have no worse cameras than iPhones, and hopefully those would be identical, though I doubt that, based on past history.

I know it's a long shot, but a larger iPad revealed on Thurs. would be amazing!

If not, I'm just going to get an iPad Air 2, especially now that it looks like the CPU is beefed up and so is the RAM.

• Reply 12 of 107
    Quote:

Did I say jump in resolution? No, I said Retina HD.

• Reply 13 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iPads should be more powerful than iPhones, so it's good that there's an A8x in there, and it's also good that there is 2 GB of RAM.

I've also always felt that iPads should have no worse cameras than iPhones, and hopefully those would be identical, though I doubt that, based on past history.

I know it's a long shot, but a larger iPad revealed on Thurs. would be amazing!

If not, I'm just going to get an iPad Air 2, especially now that it looks like the CPU is beefed up and so is the RAM.

My thoughts, too.

I'm in the happy position of owning an iPad 2. I really want a larger iPad, but even if Apple only upgrade the Air, it's going to be a huge boost over my current iPad. The only frustration if they don't release or announce a bigger one is that I know they probably will next year.

To wait or not to wait? That is the question.

• Reply 14 of 107
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It better have 2GB!

RAM is a major battery burner, and if you give it to developers, they'll fill it up because they can. In a phone, you want to limit the RAM even if that makes developers' lives harder.

But the iPad has battery to spare: more RAM please!
  • Reply 15 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

My thoughts, too.

I'm in the happy position of owning an iPad 2. I really want a larger iPad, but even if Apple only upgrade the Air, it's going to be a huge boost over my current iPad. The only frustration if they don't release or announce a bigger one is that I know they probably will next year.

To wait or not to wait? That is the question.

Yeah, I would hope that they would at least announce it, like they did with the Apple Watch, even if it's not due to ship until early next year.

I got taken by surprise after I bought an iPad 3, and then Boom!, out of nowhere comes the iPad 4, way ahead of schedule!

• Reply 16 of 107
    My guess is the A8X has the GX6650 instead of the GX6450, the extra cores will help drive the higher resolution. I'd also expect it to be clocked at 1.5GHz.

Re: the above, I'd love to see the original Mini at $199. I would wait for a BF deal and snap one of those up, I want a smaller iPad for reading.

Oh, and they should bring back the fourth fold in the Smart Cover/Case.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Did I say jump in resolution? No, I said Retina HD.

How exactly do you get "Retina HD" on the same size display when the term "Retina HD" just means a higher pixel density than the current Retina branding?
  • Reply 18 of 107
    If Apple makes a 5.5 inch iPod touch then I won't need another iPad. Which makes me fear they will opt against that idea...
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Quote:

As it is Apple's aim to surprise and delight us, I expect it to jump.

No. It will not because the Air 2 is mid-term refresh, not full-term redesign. When was last time that Apple upgraded 

Quote:

How exactly do you get "Retina HD" on the same size display when the term "Retina HD" just means a higher pixel density than the current Retina branding?

If you need to update your knowledge on the term "Retina HD", here it is: Retina HD refers NOT to resolution, but pixel property which is called "Dual Domain" pixel to allow better angle visibility and more color saturation. Does iPhone 6 have higher pixel density? No, it still has 326 ppi in its Retina HD screen.

• Reply 20 of 107
    macvicta wrote: »
    If Apple makes a 5.5 inch iPod touch then I won't need another iPad. Which makes me fear they will opt against that idea...

I can see that coming.