Google announces Nexus 6 phablet, Nexus 9 tablet, & Apple TV-like Nexus Player

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The Note 4 has the same processor in most of the world, including the US. You might be confused since DED wrote his hit piece based on the Exynos version knowing that it always underperforms the Snapdragon.

It's actually pretty lame that Samsung's Exynos SoC can't compete with Qualcomm's Snapdragon in Samsung's own flagship products.  But, hey, keep those snarky ads coming...

• Reply 22 of 134
    john.b wrote: »
    It's actually pretty lame that Samsung's Exynos SoC can't compete with Qualcomm's Snapdragon in Samsung's own flagship products.  But, hey, keep those snarky ads coming...
    john.b wrote: »

What's lamer is wamefinance's strawman, when as the AnandTech benchmarks I posted above show, even the supposed faster snapdragon based Note 4 loses out to the A7 based iPhone 5S in most CPU tests.
  • Reply 23 of 134
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Yes, because it sucks

The jokes literally write themselves these days. 

I wonder if their initial intent was a taunt, e.g., "Suck on this."

Ah, Google...
  • Reply 24 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    sog35 wrote: »
    $649 and $749 for a Nexus phone.  LOLLLLOOOLLLLOLOL.

This is like charging $80,000 for a Kia

$649 for an unlocked contract-free 5.5-6" smartphone w/32GB doesn't sound unreasonable, nor does another $100 to double the storage to 64GB. Keep in mind that Nexus phones are reference models anyway and not meant to be big commercial successes. Most folks buying a high-end Android phone will opt for similar ones with better (?) features from the OEM's coming soon.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

The Nexus 5 started at $350. This starts @ $650. Same price as iPhone. The only draw of the Nexus was its value (I own the Nexus5). Now they're competing with Apple on price? Fucking hilarious. Oh, and they removed wireless charging. Oh, and it's still 32bit, while Apple is on 2nd generation 64bit.  I'm sure Apple will "catch-up" to that eventually. The Nexus line lost it's #1 draw: Price. 

The Player is an original, blatant AppleTV/Roku/Amazon Box ripoff. 

The Nexus 9.. nice to see they finally saw the light and moved to 4:3, instead of 16:9. Even though all the fandroids and Apple haters were mocking iPad's 4:3 ratio, of course thats always been the right one. 

These things wont make a dent. I guess the "dirt cheap" strategy didn't work for Google, so they just raised the prices to that of Apple's level, and adopted more of their philosophies, and called it a day. 

• Reply 26 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I see the Nexus 9 tablet made by HTC has a protruding camera ring. Let me just make a wild guess thwt the media won't nitpick that like they did with the iPhone 6 camera. Also, are they going to now admit that 4:3 is the proper size for a tablet? From a design standpoint the Nexus 9 looks like an iPad wannabe. :D
  • Reply 27 of 134
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Nexus Player is a bit of a surprise. I don't recall any rumor of it prior to the official reveal.

Whipped up in the last couple of weeks....

• Reply 28 of 134
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    So what's the diff between android TV, nexus q, chrome cast, and nexus player? Sounds like Googs is grasping at straws.
  • Reply 29 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    $649 for an unlocked contract-free 5.5-6" smartphone w/32GB doesn't sound unreasonable, nor does another $100 to double the storage to 64GB. Keep in mind that Nexus phones are reference models anyway and not meant to be big commercial successes. Most folks buying a high-end Android phone will opt for similar ones with better (?) features from the OEM's coming soon.

So basically just confirmation that Apple products aren't overpriced and this whole Apple tax is a bunch of BS.
  • Reply 30 of 134
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    How long until someone bends the nexus 6?
  • Reply 31 of 134
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, and it's still 32bit, while Apple is on 2nd generation 64bit.

I think with Android Lollipop it's 64bit, but could be mistaken.
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, and they removed wireless charging.

That would be one of those features the OEM's will offer (ie Moto X Play / Droid Turbo) when their own versions of the Nexus 6 hardware platform ships. Very soon too. ;)
  • Reply 32 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So I see the Nexus 9 tablet made by HTC has a protruding camera ring. Let me just make a wild guess thwt the media won't nitpick that like they did with the iPhone 6 camera. Also, are they going to now admit that 4:3 is the proper size for a tablet? From a design standpoint the Nexus 9 looks like an iPad wannabe. :D

They never mentioned otherwise, it was HTC's design team who came up with it anyway, Nvidia did the internal, except for the display and camera.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically just confirmation that Apple products aren't overpriced and this whole Apple tax is a bunch of BS.

I've never written that Apple products were over-priced. With that said OEM's would be foolish IMHO if they didn't get as close to Apple pricing as the market will allow. Why leave money on the table if there's willing buyers, sometimes mentioned in Apple pricing discussions here.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think with Android Lollipop it's 64bit, but could be mistaken.
    That would be one of those features the OEM's will offer (ie Moto X Play / Droid Turbo) when their own versions of the Nexus 6 hardware platform ships. Very soon too. ;)

Android 5 is 64Bit.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, and they removed wireless charging.

No it's still there.

Look at the spec sheet here: http://www.motorola.com/us/Nexus-6/nexus-6-motorola-us.html

• Reply 36 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Fucking hilarious. Oh, and they removed wireless charging.

Do you guys even bother to do a little bit of reading before putting your foot in your mouth?

http://www.motorola.com/us/Nexus-6/nexus-6-motorola-us.html

Battery

3220 mAh

Mixed usage up to 24 hours*

Qi Wireless charging support

• Reply 37 of 134
    addicted44 wrote: »
    What does Exynos have to do with anything? The Snapdragon based Note 4 gets its ass handed to it by the 5S in most CPU tests, nvm the 6.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review/7

It's a good thing Samsung is seeing those 60% drop in profits. It only means there are less paid trolls like you to swat down.

Let me apologize profusely for not reading Anandtech's lengthy review on the day it was published.

The Note 4 is bettered by the iPhone in most of the CPU tests, but the drastic margin you see is due to the optimization of Chrome vs Safari. The tests that weren't browser based showed a much smaller performance gap, although the iPhone still leads it.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Do you guys even bother to do a little bit of reading before putting your foot in your mouth?

http://www.motorola.com/us/Nexus-6/nexus-6-motorola-us.html

Battery

3220 mAh

Mixed usage up to 24 hours*

Qi Wireless charging support

Well they do, just not products that concern them.

• Reply 39 of 134
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »
    Well they do, just not products that concern them.

Yet here they are commenting on a product that they know nothing about.
  • Reply 40 of 134
    BTW, while not yet "official" a leaked page from ATT shows the Nexus 6 32GB version available on-contract for just $49.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Nexus-6-posted-early-on-AT-T-for-just-49-on-contract_id61722