Google announces Nexus 6 phablet, Nexus 9 tablet, & Apple TV-like Nexus Player

Comments

• Reply 81 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Yup. At 2.7GHz no less, 900MHz faster clock than the A8.

The K1 in the Nexus 9 is 64bit, so we'll have to wait and see if it lives up to Nvidias hype. Although it appears predictions about its power consumption were correct. If it was so good, the Nexus 6 should have also used it. This way both new devices run Android 5.0 AND are 64bit, which lets developers have two standardized devices for development.

Now there's still 32/64bit fragmentation going on. Really quite ridiculous.

That's not possible as Nvidia got out of the mobile phone space, they are sticking to tablets and handhelds. The subtext of that is they do not integrate cellular basebands, making it way less efficient in a phone which would require a separate chip compared to a Snapdragon.

Qualcomm's 64 bit all in one is the 810 due in Q1 2015, which compared to the competition will be more than the saying of a day late/dollar short.  

• Reply 82 of 134
    thttht Posts: 5,476member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Qualcomm has been shipping 64-bit chipsets that have already appeared in Android handsets. Oddly they chose to start with low and mid-grade chips like the 410 and 610. Perhaps Qualcomm had little faith in their early designs?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35902-snapdragon-615-610-and-410-can-run-android-l-64-bit

Those SoCs have the Cortex-A53 in them as opposed to the Cortex-A57 core. The Cortex-A53 core is simpler, lower performance, and more suitable to be fabbed on 28 nm nodes. So, it matured faster and got to market faster then the higher performance Cortex-A57 parts. The higher performance Cortex-A57 will really need a 20/22 nm fab to fit inside a smartphone or tablet TDP.

The Samsung Exynos 5433, which is in the international or maybe just Korean Note 4, is supposedly a big.LITTLE 4-core Cortex-57 and 4-core Cortex-A53, but it's only shipping as a 32-bit system for now. Maybe it'll be 64-bit when Lollipop ships for it. Who knows.

Qualcomm probably wasn't planning on shipping any 64-bit SoCs in 2015. Don't know if they will go the Cortex-A57 route or it will be custom.

• Reply 83 of 134
    slurpy wrote: »
    No, I don't. The K1 is 64-bit. My initial assertion was about the Nexus 6, the tablet is a different story. 

CPU is only one piece of the puzzle though. I very much doubt most Android apps will be optimized for 64bit, since so few phones/tablets are capable of such, and since the OS is not fully 64bit. 

From the official changelog:

Support for 64-bit SoCs using ARM, x86, and MIPS-based cores

Shipping 64-bit native apps like Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, and more

Pure Java language apps run as 64-bit apps automatically
  • Reply 84 of 134
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nexus devices are never meant to compete with OEM's. You also mentioned Motorola which Lenovo has already committed to purchase.

yeah I know Levono is buying Motorola but this product were in the works prior to the Lenovo deal. Yes original Nexus were more of the design Standard that the Partners were suppose to follow, but it obvious they are not competing.

• Reply 85 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

My thoughts exactly... While Lollipop (what a f'ing stupid codename for an OS btw) is 64-bit "capable / compatible", has it actually been fully re-compiled to take FULL advantage of the ARMv8 64-bit instruction set, including all the apps included with Android? Not to mention all the third-party apps which, knowing Android dev's, will never get the 64-bit treatment...

I think you need to understand ART a little better. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8231/a-closer-look-at-android-runtime-art-in-android-l/3

Quote:

Google claims that 85% of all current Play Store apps are immediately ready to switch over to 64 bit - which would mean that only 15% of applications have some kind of native code that needs targeted recompiling by the developer to make use of 64-bit architectures.

• Reply 86 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No. Anandtech tested the Note 4. It's a slow POS compared to the iPhone 6. In most of the benchmarks it loses to the iPhone 6. Hell, in CPU benchmarks the iPhone 5S with A7 is still faster.

Really pathetic for a 2.7GHz quad core processor.

Edited: I see that Anandtech was already brought up by addicted44. However, still worth repeating how utterly crappy the Snapdraogn 805 is compared to the A8.

There are two Note 4 reviews on Anandtech, one based on the Exynos model the other Qualcomm's 805, though neither overall as fast as the A8 the 805 did much better, especially in the area of graphics performance, where the Exynos failed miserably.

Here are some of the Note 4 GPU benchmarks based on the 805

This is a good test because it shows how an actual program would run, as you can see the high resolution really slows things down

Same test done offscreen though shows that the 805 and A8 have very similar performance, so if the Note 4 was also using a 1080p display their marks would be almost identical. This doesn't mean however that the Note 4 cannot play every single game in the Google Play Store library without at least 30FPS

CPU, the same

The only benchmark where the Note 4 gets trounced are web related tests like SunSpider, but these are also not multicore optimized tests and anything under a 1000 is considered fast

There is no doubt the A8 is a faster CPU but not by much and defiantly isn't a POS like you are so adamantly trying to convey. The Nexus 6 will also be faster than the Note 4 as it is not only running Android 5 but won't have the huge overhead that Touchwiz is so famously known for. Now that is a POS. It's fine that you want everyone to know just how fast the iPhone is in comparison to the competition but you don't need to call their chips garbage in the process, simply to make a point. Qualcomm is one of the best ARM chip manufactures in the world and their products are outstanding. Not only that but their an American company with plants in the US, I would think you would want to support them just a little bit more then you are. Also if anything the 805 shows just how fast Qualcomms upcoming 810 64Bit processor will be and if it's faster than A8 and it's looking that most likely will be, what are you going to say then. No, it's better to just enjoy using the products you have without feeling the need to criticize others simply because of some arbitrary benchmarks that you most likely don't even understand anyway.

• Reply 87 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The Note 4 has the same processor in most of the world, including the US. You might be confused since DED wrote his hit piece based on the Exynos version knowing that it always underperforms the Snapdragon.

The Note 4 has too many pixels to push. Once you go beyond practical specs, like pixels too fine to see, you trade specs for experience — 10 frames per second. Really?

• Reply 88 of 134
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,296member
    And yet those apps are still running in the ART VM, and not using native code, and still taking a performance hit had they been written in native code.

It's been thoroughly proven over the years that native-code apps outgun their VM counterparts, and this won't change any time soon.

In fact, if that "claim" by Google is accurate, then 85% of devs for Android are just lazy by not writing native code apps in the first place to optimize the experience. Oh, wait, maybe it's because writing native code apps for such a massively fragmented device base and OS version fragmentation is next to impossible? Yeah that could be it...
  • Reply 89 of 134
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,296member
    relic wrote: »
    There is no doubt the A8 is a faster CPU but not by much and defiantly isn't a POS like you are so adamantly trying to convey. The Nexus 6 will also be faster than the Note 4 as it is not only running Android 5 but won't have the huge overhead that Touchwiz is so famously known for. Now that is a POS. It's fine that you want everyone to know just how fast the iPhone is in comparison to the competition but you don't need to call their chips garbage in the process, simply to make a point. Qualcomm is one of the best ARM chip manufactures in the world and their products are outstanding. Not only that but their an American company with plants in the US, I would think you would want to support them just a little bit more then you are. Also if anything the 805 shows just how fast Qualcomms upcoming 810 64Bit processor will be and if it's faster than A8 and it's looking that most likely will be, what are you going to say then. No, it's better to just enjoy using the products you have without feeling the need to criticize others simply because of some arbitrary benchmarks that you most likely don't even understand anyway.
    One more thing that I haven't seen answered anywhere to my knowledge, is whether the benchmarks, especially 3D Mark, are now taking advantage of iOS Metal, to gauge a more accurate picture of the true performance capabilities of the SoC. My thinking is they haven't updated to support Metal yet, so I'll wait until those benchmarks come in, and thoroughly destroy the competition.
  • Reply 90 of 134
    Quote:

And yet those apps are still running in the ART VM, and not using native code, and still taking a performance hit had they been written in native code.

It's been thoroughly proven over the years that native-code apps outgun their VM counterparts, and this won't change any time soon.

In fact, if that "claim" by Google is accurate, then 85% of devs for Android are just lazy by not writing native code apps in the first place to optimize the experience. Oh, wait, maybe it's because writing native code apps for such a massively fragmented device base and OS version fragmentation is next to impossible? Yeah that could be it...

I still don't think you read the article. 

• Reply 91 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Qualcomm's 64 bit all in one is the 810 due in Q1 2015, which compared to the competition will be more than the saying of a day late/dollar short.  

Not true at all, Qualcomm, Nvidia, even Samsung as early as 2011, specifically Nvidia said 2015 was the year they would start releasing 64Bit chips. They are right on schedule. Besides, it's never to late to introduce new technology and Qualcomm and Nvidia have already released their first 64bit chip and Samsungs new Exynos 5433, though gimped is still technically a 64bit processor

• Reply 92 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Not true at all, Qualcomm, Nvidia, even Samsung as early as 2011, specifically Nvidia said 2015 was the year they would start releasing 64Bit chips. They are right on schedule. Besides, it's never to late to introduce new technology and Qualcomm and Nvidia have already released their first 64bit chip and Samsungs new Exynos 5433, though gimped is still technically a 64bit processor

Compared to Apple's A Series? They are certainly a day late and a dollar short in all the tests I've seen. 

• Reply 93 of 134
    Quote:

One more thing that I haven't seen answered anywhere to my knowledge, is whether the benchmarks, especially 3D Mark, are now taking advantage of iOS Metal, to gauge a more accurate picture of the true performance capabilities of the SoC. My thinking is they haven't updated to support Metal yet, so I'll wait until those benchmarks come in, and thoroughly destroy the competition.

Those benchmarks won't be easy to convey as it will need to be done on a per app basis, the overall system core won't change unless the benchmark app is specifically written to take advantage of Metal but then they'll have to do the same for Nvidia chips as they also have low level programming performance advantages. Games like Modern Combat 5 on say a Nvidia Shield trounces every other Android tablet on the market by a huge margin, it's even faster than when I play it on my iPad Air by 20FPS, I will have to see how it performs on the new iPad when I get it. I'm also getting the Nvidia Nexus 9 so it will be fun to put the two up against each other. Doesn't matter though, the iPad will always be a better gaming platform simply because it has more and better games just wish the iPad had a built in HDMI or Display Port out, that dongle is crap.

• Reply 94 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So I see the Nexus 9 tablet made by HTC has a protruding camera ring. Let me just make a wild guess thwt the media won't nitpick that like they did with the iPhone 6 camera. Also, are they going to now admit that 4:3 is the proper size for a tablet? From a design standpoint the Nexus 9 looks like an iPad wannabe. :D

Apple did that to themselves, they have been the ones who have consistently wanted a thin and flat device, and finally realised you can't always do it
  • Reply 95 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Compared to Apple's A Series? They are certainly a day late and a dollar short in all the tests I've seen. 

There are no tests yet, what are you talking about, the Nexus 9 will be the first 64bit chip running a 64bit OS, wait to those benchmarks are released then we can revisit this. The Note 4 is hobbled to 32bit and Qualcomms first 64bit chip was made for mid-tier phones so it's not fast, their 810 however will be.

• Reply 96 of 134
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "Nexus 9 will be available for preorder on Oct. 17 in 16- and 32-gigabyte configurations"

A tablet that maxes out at 32 GB?

Yikes.

Not even a phone should have that as a top end, but a big tablet not meant to be a simple e-reader? Really no.
  • Reply 97 of 134
    Quote:

It's fine that you want everyone to know just how fast the iPhone is in comparison to the competition but you don't need to call their chips garbage in the process, simply to make a point. Qualcomm is one of the best ARM chip manufactures in the world and their products are outstanding. Not only that but their an American company with plants in the US, I would think you would want to support them just a little bit more then you are. Also if anything the 805 shows just how fast Qualcomms upcoming 810 64Bit processor will be and if it's faster than A8 and it's looking that most likely will be, what are you going to say then. No, it's better to just enjoy using the products you have without feeling the need to criticize others simply because of some arbitrary benchmarks that you most likely don't even understand anyway.

You have to remember that many Apple and Samsung fans/forum members behave much more like investors than consumers. Much of what is said is inflammatory propaganda (on sites like AndroidCentral just as much as AppleInsider).

The rest of us can evaluate products and buy what we like.

• Reply 98 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Nexus 9 will be available for preorder on Oct. 17 in 16- and 32-gigabyte configurations"

A tablet that maxes out at 32 GB?

Yikes.

Not even a phone should have that as a top end, but a big tablet not meant to be a simple e-reader? Really no.

I'm sure we will see a 64GB version eventually depending on it's popularity.

• Reply 99 of 134
    Quote:

There are no tests yet, what are you talking about, the Nexus 9 will be the first 64bit chip running a 64bit OS, wait to those benchmarks are released then we can revisit this. The Note 4 is hobbled to 32bit and Qualcomms first 64bit chip was made for mid-tier phones so it's not fast, their 810 however will be.

It is more like the Note 4 is hobbled to samsung.

• Reply 100 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You have to remember that many Apple and Samsung fans/forum members behave much more like investors than consumers. Much of what is said is inflammatory propaganda (on sites like AndroidCentral just as much as AppleInsider).

The rest of us can evaluate products and buy what we like.

AndroidCentral and AppleInsider are defiantly the two extremes aren't they, absolute polar opposites.