Google announces Nexus 6 phablet, Nexus 9 tablet, & Apple TV-like Nexus Player

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Nexus 6 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, which is 64-bit isn't it? 

The 805 is a 32-bit processor. Fact. 

• Reply 62 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie-bob View Post

Hmmm, I remember a time, not so long ago when no external storage expansion and having a non-replaceable battery was…a bad thing.

It's only a "bad thing" when Apple does it and others can use them as bullet points. Increasingly now, Android flagships are the same way, so they need to move on to something else to bash. 

• Reply 63 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    slurpy wrote: »

Could be which is why I asked. Since you din't dispute the Nexus 9 is using a 64bit chipset with 64-bit Android L I suppose you have no dispute with that one.
  • Reply 64 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The Note 4 has the same processor in most of the world, including the US. You might be confused since DED wrote his hit piece based on the Exynos version knowing that it always underperforms the Snapdragon.

No. Anandtech tested the Note 4. It's a slow POS compared to the iPhone 6. In most of the benchmarks it loses to the iPhone 6. Hell, in CPU benchmarks the iPhone 5S with A7 is still faster.

Really pathetic for a 2.7GHz quad core processor.

Edited: I see that Anandtech was already brought up by addicted44. However, still worth repeating how utterly crappy the Snapdraogn 805 is compared to the A8.

• Reply 65 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't have a list other than America gets the Snapdragon and Korea gets the Exynos. I simply parroted the words I've seen written by tech bloggers who i assume are more knowledgeable.

Usually this gets added to Wikipedia in a nice layout, but I guess it's still too early if it's not there.
  • Reply 66 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yup. At 2.7GHz no less, 900MHz faster clock than the A8.

The K1 in the Nexus 9 is 64bit, so we'll have to wait and see if it lives up to Nvidias hype. Although it appears predictions about its power consumption were correct. If it was so good, the Nexus 6 should have also used it. This way both new devices run Android 5.0 AND are 64bit, which lets developers have two standardized devices for development.

Now there's still 32/64bit fragmentation going on. Really quite ridiculous.

• Reply 67 of 134
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

The Nexus Player is a bit of a surprise. I don't recall any rumor of it prior to the official reveal.

Because no one cares when google announces yet another half baked also ran copy of an Apple product?

General Motors just announced another model Buick, no rumors of that either.

See the point?

• Reply 68 of 134
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    relic wrote: »
    Android 5 is fully compatible with 64Bit code, both for ARM and Intel, now if it's any good will be a discussion for another time. I just pre-ordered the Nexus 9, so I'll play with it.

Here's my question, which perhaps can make one of those Phandroids useful for a change... Is Android 5.0 not just 64-bit compatible, but has it, and every app and binary used within it, been re-compiled to 64-bit native code? Because if it's capable of running on a 64-bit SoC, but is still processing 32-bit binaries, than it's nothing but trash. iOS 7 and 8 were fully re-compiled to 64-bit to take full advantage of that SoC, so unless Android has done the same, it doesn't even come close to iOS (yet again), and is just another thing to add to the spec sheet for the spec whores...
    sog35 wrote: »
    $649 and $749 for a Nexus phone.  LOLLLLOOOLLLLOLOL.

This is like charging $80,000 for a Kia

More like $90,000 for a Hyundai!
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically just confirmation that Apple products aren't overpriced and this whole Apple tax is a bunch of BS.

The "Apple Tax" has been BS for many years now, just another battle cry of the cheapoo's...
    jungmark wrote: »
    How long until someone bends the nexus 6?

If someone donates one to me, I'll GLADLY crack, um, I mean bend it and put it on YouTube 8-)
  • Reply 69 of 134
    Quote:

The Nexus 6 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, which is 64-bit isn't it? I know the Nexus 9 tablet also announced today is definitely 64-bit since it's running Nvidea's Tegra K1

64 bit memory bus. 32-bit instruction.

• Reply 70 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

16GB is as lame on Androids as it is on iDevices.

No it isn't. It is even more lame on Android since Android takes up more of that space than iOS. :)

• Reply 71 of 134
    So far the only mention of 64-bit I've found on the spec sheet is this:

• Reply 72 of 134
    According to this site:

[URL=http://vr-zone.com/articles/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-vs-snapdragon-800/64753.html]http://vr-zone.com/articles/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-vs-snapdragon-800/64753.html[/URL]

The 805 is using the ARMv7-a instruction set, which is 32-bit.

And according to this site:

[URL=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-performance,3887.html]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-performance,3887.html[/URL]

It confirms the 805 is a 32-bit SoC with a 64-bit memory bus, and it won't be until the Snapdragon 810 with ARMv8 instruction sets that they'll go with 64-bit.

So folks, even though Android 5.0 is 64-bit "compatible", it's still going to be running 32-bit code on a 32-bit SoC, so no competition for the iPhone 5S or 6/6+.

I rest my case.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    No it isn't. It is even more lame on Android since Android takes up more of that space than iOS. :)

Both stock Android and iOS take roughly the same space.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    vinnie-bob wrote: »
    Hmmm, I remember a time, not so long ago when no external storage expansion and having a non-replaceable battery was…a bad thing.

And a big phone, widgets, NFC..... oh wait
  • Reply 75 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

So folks, even though Android 5.0 is 64-bit "compatible", it's still going to be running 32-bit code on a 32-bit SoC, so no competition for the iPhone 5S or 6/6+.

Correct, N6 is 32-bit. That 64-bit bus has been tripping people up for a while, no thanks to Qualcomm's omission of "32-bit" in the processor specs (where they clearly mention 64-bit on the 810).

Note that it's "competition" for Apple if people buy it instead of an iPhone. We'll have to wait for reviews to see how performant the 805 is with L. Benchmarks are one thing, but actual usage is another.

I was excited about the upcoming N6 announcement, but I'm surprised by the price. Maybe it will hit Play $100 lower than the carriers (the N5 was cheaper from Play than from T-Mobile). Well, even at $650, it's still $400 less than the iPhone 6 Plus.

Another consideration, and I know this falls on many pairs of ignorant ears here, some people just prefer the Android experience. Our family owns more iOS devices than Android, and everyone prefers the device they're using. That's fine with everyone too. 

• Reply 76 of 134
    thttht Posts: 5,616member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

So far the only mention of 64-bit I've found on the spec sheet is this:

Are people really confused by this?

All this says is that the memory bus has 2 channels of LPDDR3 memory that are each 32 bits wide running at a clock of 800 MHz. Math:

2 channels x 32 bits per channel x 800 million cycles per second x 2 32-bit transfers per cycle (DDR) = 12.8 GB/s of theoretical memory bandwidth.

It's says nothing about the CPU ISA and instruction size. The memory bus width sizes can vary quite a bit. Apple shipped SoCs with 128 bit memory buses in the iPad 3 and 4.

The Snapdragon 805 is 32 bit Krait 450 CPUs. It's a well known quantity. The Tegra K1 on the other hand, appears to be 64-bit and it'll be interesting to see the performance results of it. Nobody outside of Nividia's partners are talking about it. Not even an actual benchmark. So, it will be interesting.

• Reply 77 of 134
    magman1979 wrote: »
    According to this site:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-vs-snapdragon-800/64753.html

The 805 is using the ARMv7-a instruction set, which is 32-bit.

And according to this site:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-performance,3887.html

It confirms the 805 is a 32-bit SoC with a 64-bit memory bus, and it won't be until the Snapdragon 810 with ARMv8 instruction sets that they'll go with 64-bit.

I rest my case.

Qualcomm has been shipping 64-bit chipsets that have already appeared in Android handsets. Oddly they chose to start with low and mid-grade chips like the 410 and 610. Perhaps Qualcomm had little faith in their early designs?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35902-snapdragon-615-610-and-410-can-run-android-l-64-bit
  • Reply 78 of 134
    Quote:

Could be which is why I asked. Since you din't dispute the Nexus 9 is using a 64bit chipset with 64-bit Android L I suppose you have no dispute with that one.

No, I don't. The K1 is 64-bit. My initial assertion was about the Nexus 6, the tablet is a different story. 

CPU is only one piece of the puzzle though. I very much doubt most Android apps will be optimized for 64bit, since so few phones/tablets are capable of such, and since the OS is not fully 64bit. 

• Reply 79 of 134
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Qualcomm has been shipping 64-bit chipsets that have already appeared in Android handsets. Oddly they chose to start with low and mid-grade chips like the 410 and 610. Perhaps Qualcomm had little faith in their early designs?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35902-snapdragon-615-610-and-410-can-run-android-l-64-bit
    ROTFL,

The 615 runs at 1.7GHz, which tells me just how slow of a turd it's going to be, considering their 805 2.7GHz flagship is bested by the Apple A8 SoC running at about half that speed with only dual-cores!
  • Reply 80 of 134
    No, I don't. The K1 is 64-bit. My initial assertion was about the Nexus 6, the tablet is a different story. 

CPU is only one piece of the puzzle though. I very much doubt most Android apps will be optimized for 64bit, since so few phones/tablets are capable of such, and since the OS is not fully 64bit. 
    My thoughts exactly... While Lollipop (what a f'ing stupid codename for an OS btw) is 64-bit "capable / compatible", has it actually been fully re-compiled to take FULL advantage of the ARMv8 64-bit instruction set, including all the apps included with Android? Not to mention all the third-party apps which, knowing Android dev's, will never get the 64-bit treatment...