Apple announces 27-inch iMac with Retina display, 5,120-by-2,880 pixel resolution

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    flaneur wrote: »
    Stupid narcissist comment. No wonder you don't get it. Does the buzzword "silicon" mean anything to you? "Transistor"?

If you don't understand something, I would think the last thing you'd want to do is mock the subject of your ignorance.

What makes you think pink unicorns isn't a compliment?
  • Reply 82 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I just want to know how we're going to be able to stay on track with the predictions of Moore's Law and Ray Kurzweil (his "Singularity" scenario) at this pace...

We're supposed to have a $4,000 desktop computer available by 2019 with computational power equivalent to a single human brain.

I'm not seeing that happening.

TV, internet and processed foods are trying to dumb everyone down first.
    3TB Fusion Drive

Given that you have the Pegasus drives, getting just the SSD on its own would be more reliable and faster.

There's a Thunderbolt tape drive out now to let you archive large amounts of old data:

http://www.mlogic.com/products/mtape
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Ultrium-C7976A-6-25-Cartridge/dp/B00AHQUV3S

It's expensive to begin with but it means you'll never run out of space on the Pegasus drives, you'd just keep your authored media on the Pegasus and you can offload all the source footage to the tape. It might even let you downgrade to smaller Pegasus drives like a Pegasus 2 R4 8TB x2 and sell the 2x 12TB R6 (if it means saving money).
  • Reply 83 of 122
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well. I didn't pull the handle on the Mac Pro last year, but I just ordered a maxed-out config of this -- except for drive size (I already have a couple Promise Pegasus 12TB Thunderbolt 1 RAIDS).

The total cost with AppleCare, tax, 2-day shipping was ~$4,300 ... AIR, the Mac Pro I was considering was about double that -- and no 5K Display.

I don't have my Promise RAIDs yet so I'm looking at a 512GB flash drive with the rest probably the same as your configuration. Might as well max it out and have it last longer.

I haven't seen any comments on the new AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 GPUs. How do they compare to the base AMD D300 GPUs other than the fact we only get one of them? 

• Reply 84 of 122
    Marvin wrote: »
    I just want to know how we're going to be able to stay on track with the predictions of Moore's Law and Ray Kurzweil (his "Singularity" scenario) at this pace...

We're supposed to have a $4,000 desktop computer available by 2019 with computational power equivalent to a single human brain.

I'm not seeing that happening.

TV, internet and processed foods are trying to dumb everyone down first.
    3TB Fusion Drive

Given that you have the Pegasus drives, getting just the SSD on its own would be more reliable and faster.

There's a Thunderbolt tape drive out now to let you archive large amounts of old data:

http://www.mlogic.com/products/mtape
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Ultrium-C7976A-6-25-Cartridge/dp/B00AHQUV3S

It's expensive to begin with but it means you'll never run out of space on the Pegasus drives, you'd just keep your authored media on the Pegasus and you can offload all the source footage to the tape. It might even let you downgrade to smaller Pegasus drives like a Pegasus 2 R4 8TB x2 and sell the 2x 12TB R6 (if it means saving money).

Yeah, the SSD only config makes sense for use with the Pegasus RAIDs ... but in our household I pass things down to my daughter and her kids. It makes sense to think about this iMac running standalone in a year or 2 -- in that case the 3TB Fusion drive makes more sense.

Thanks for the links on the tape solution ... Interesting ...

I have a dozen 2TB LaCie drives that I use for backup. The drives are great -- but the external power bricks suck.

I try to avoid tape solutions for long-term archives, though -- the flexible media can harden and/or disintegrate over time.

It is kinda' interesting that Promise offers a Pegasus2 24TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID for the same $3500 as the tape drive..
  • Reply 85 of 122

BY FAR the best Apple event of the year - FINALLY some great Mac-related news; my new 5K iMac is about to be ordered.

• Reply 86 of 122
    rob53 wrote: »
    Well. I didn't pull the handle on the Mac Pro last year, but I just ordered a maxed-out config of this -- except for drive size (I already have a couple Promise Pegasus 12TB Thunderbolt 1 RAIDS).

The total cost with AppleCare, tax, 2-day shipping was ~$4,300 ... AIR, the Mac Pro I was considering was about double that -- and no 5K Display.
    I don't have my Promise RAIDs yet so I'm looking at a 512GB flash drive with the rest probably the same as your configuration. Might as well max it out and have it last longer.

I haven't seen any comments on the new AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 GPUs. How do they compare to the base AMD D300 GPUs other than the fact we only get one of them? 

We'll probably see some benchmark results in a week or two. I'm not too concerned as Apple tends to match their hardware components pretty well for the expected uses.

I did a quick check, and in September Dell released a 27" 5K display for $2500. On article suggested that Apple would have a hard time meeting that price for a new iMac -- suggesting a $3000 price for an entry 27" 5K iMac.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Ordered. Upgraded to the faster CPU and GPU, but always do aftermarket upgrade on the memory.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    There's your problem, you need a female wallet, they 'she'd' know such a bargain when 'she' sees one! :D

I guess so! I've wanted Apple to release a retina Mac for a while and it's what I really want. I was about to get the rMBP, and now they throw this beauty out there. I can't complain about the price, guess it's something I can work towards. Or maybe just get the Mac Mini and connect it to a new 4k tv.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha! Mine came to $4,676.25. I went for the 1TB SSD. 32 GB, i7, 4GB GPU, No Applecare.

• Reply 90 of 122
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Ordered the base model.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not RAM from Crucial for the 2013 iMac would be compatible with this? I don't see why not. Just wondering if anyone can say with more certainty.

Edit: I imagine its identical...ordered a 16 GB kit from Crucial.

• Reply 91 of 122

The $3000 question is whether this 5k panel is 60hz or higher.  Why can't Apple release a decent back-lit wireless keyboard?  

• Reply 92 of 122
    Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

The $3000 question is whether this 5k panel is 60hz or higher.  Why can't Apple release a decent back-lit wireless keyboard?  

So… separate questions, then.

• Reply 93 of 122
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

BY FAR the best Apple event of the year - FINALLY some great Mac-related news; my new 5K iMac is about to be ordered.

I need to see it first in person and inspect it diligently.

• Reply 94 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The new iMac display looks spectacular.

• Reply 95 of 122
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

If you are not too concerned about editing 4k video (although I'm sure it can do it, not just quite like the nMP) this new iMac is stunning value for sure. If only there was Aperture X :\
  • Reply 96 of 122
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    what about the stand alone 5K retina monitor to use with the MacPro?  wonder if this will follow soon.  Not having an Apple monitor is the thing that's held me back from purchasing the MacPro.

Exactly my state of affairs. Since my CRT died, I've done no photography because I only have a 13" regular non-retina MacBook. I'm tempted by this retina iMac, but I don't trust laptop-style components for professional heavy duty use. GPU defects in laptops is well known. I want a Mac Pro. So now that we have the retina iMac, where's the pro display for the pro machine? Is the Mac Pro line going to settle back into development freeze?
  • Reply 97 of 122
    Apple just pulled a fast one on Canadian consumers. The 2 iMac 27' non-retina models went up in price by $150. Why would an iMac model that is a year old go up in price? And the new iMac retina is $2749. This is outrageous!
  • Reply 98 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If only there was Aperture X :\

You and me sir. Then again, I think we can expect a flood of plugins for the new Photos app we are in for a treat. If all photos are synced to iCloud and all changes ar in a DB which gets synced as well there's no need anymore to do my current workflow:

Shoot DSLR > CCK > iPad > View photos > get home and import photos from either iCloud or SD Card reader into a new project in Aperture > edit > sync iPad over USB with iTunes.

After 'all that' I need to delete the original, unedited photos imported from CCK on the iPad as it now has the edited versions from the Aperture project.

The more I think about the new Photos app the more I want it. And I'll just keep Aperture on my Mac as it likely remains to be able to do things the Photos app can't with version 1.0

Things I'm not expecting in Photos 1.0:

Light table
    Web page
    Web journals
    Book creation and ordering
    Prints ordering
    The massive amount of options in the Print Dialogue we now have
    Command Editor
    Multiple Libraries
    Automator scripts
    App customisation, like Metadata Views, keyword + Command Editor import/export
    The large amount of Adjustments

But again, I think devs will give us plugins at reasonable prices.

What I'm really hoping for is that they give much attention to videos as well. My current workflow sucks:
    Dock iPhone > Image Capture copying them into a Folder (yup, Finder, onto HDD, my Aperture photo lib is on SSD) > rename them > import into Aperture as referenced so they remain on HDD as my managed photo lib is on SSD.

All completely OT here, "sorry 'bout that"
  • Reply 99 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I have a dozen 2TB LaCie drives that I use for backup. The drives are great -- but the external power bricks suck.

I think the portable drives are better as you don't have to plug them into power at all, they go up to 4TB now:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDA4000100/dp/B00HXAV0X6
    http://www.amazon.com/Passport-portable-integrated-Thunderbolt-WDBRNB0040DBK-NESN/dp/B00ITI0514
    I try to avoid tape solutions for long-term archives, though -- the flexible media can harden and/or disintegrate over time.

It is kinda' interesting that Promise offers a Pegasus2 24TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID for the same $3500 as the tape drive..

Tape should be reliable enough over time, it's what data centers use for backup but they can come with physical failures like the tape breaking (they run the tape through at 10 meters per second). The cost advantage is over time. The first 24TB for tape is $3500 + $400 for 10 x 2.5TB tapes but the second 24TB is $400 and so on. Still, those 4TB portable drives are only $244 so 24TB = ~$1500 for backup and I'd say more convenient to backup to them. If Samsung gets their 850 Pro successor down from ~$0.40/GB to $0.25/GB, that makes 24TB ~$6000 but very fast storage. Once it can get down to $0.10/GB, SSD RAID will probably mark the end of other kinds of backups, especially if they make an SSD solution where the controller is external to the storage so that even if that failed, they just plug the passive part into another controller to get the data back.
    rob53 wrote:

It looks like the M295X will be about 40% faster than the M290X and that is about 10-15% slower than the 780M. The 780M is comparable to a single D300 in tests but it varies quite a lot. I'd expect the raw performance of the D300 to be a bit higher.

If we go with the 295X being 1.4 x 0.9 x single D300, that would make it ~26% faster than a single D300. Dual D300 should still beat it but when a single GPU is being used, the iMac would be faster. The AMD GPUs in a Mac Pro refresh would likely push the MP back ahead though.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

but I don't trust laptop-style components for professional heavy duty use.

Not sure what you're talking about. I purchased mine for "professional heavy duty use" and these specs far exceed what they are replacing.